Notices
GLC Class (X253 )
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes Benz GLC vs. BMW X3

 
Old 01-27-2018, 02:02 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus ES 300
Mercedes Benz GLC vs. BMW X3

I am seriously contemplating buying a brand new 2018 BMW X3 (OR) Mercedes Benz GLC as soon as possible.
Please help me justify why I should go with GLC and not X3?

This will be a primary vehicle for me to replace my 20 year old Lexus ES 300. My wife is driving 2016 Honda Odyssey. This vehicle may also be used as a family vehicle for us and 2 kids.
This will be a vehicle to transport to me office everyday and I might also use for a 3 hour drive each way once a week.

Two important criteria I am looking at is

1. Suitability for long drive (Comfortness /good for the body) with family with respect to long road trips.
2. Hassle free maintenance without any known mechanical/engine issues for long term (at least for 120K miles) ownership
smkuma is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 08:34 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Posts: 145
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2019 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
Now, THIS is a thread that I will follow for the next several months.
I currently drive a 2016 GLC 300 4Matic - 3-year lease that ends this December. There is A LOT about the car that I really like and love, but there are some things that irritate me.
What I love:
1) The look and style. Visually, it is beautiful and I feel that it fits me.
2) The performance. I love how peppy it is, and even at highway speed I can accelerate surprisingly more to pass.
3) The comfort. It IS comfortable on long drives and through heavy traffic. I LOVE roadtrips with it!

What I do not love:
1) The squeeks and rattles. This REALLY annoys me. I have not had any car that does this. My 1983 Volvo 240 GL (which I got in 1993) was solid. My 1989 Volkwsagen Jetta Carat was solid. My 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL was solid. My 1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg was solid. My 2001 Audi A6 was solid. My 1999 Saab 93 was solid. My 2010 MB C300 4Matic was solid. My 2013 MB C300 4Matic was solid. My 2016 MB GLC300 4Matic rattles and squeeks. New tires (Continental run-flats, to replace the Pirelli runflats originally installed but wore very early, at just 15K miles) helped a lot but not 100%.
2) The Comand system...it's so clunky to use, but this will be true of all MBs with Comand.
3) There IS a history of recalls and warranty items, but I excuse that, for the most part, on the fact I got a first-year model and I assume that's just expected.
4) The turn radius...the ability to turn sharply at low speeds, such as in/out of parking spaces is pretty crappy. I thought at first it was just because it was a larger car than I have been driving before, but I had a 2018 MB GLE as a loaner recently and it turned as sharply as a sedan.
5) The MB internet connection and access to apps such as Spotify is ridiculously bad---I pre-paid 3 years of that, but cancelled it before the first year was up because it was terribly unreliable and low quality.
6) Why do we have to go to the dealer for map updates, or software updates? I thought I was on another planet when the BMW dealer told me that the BMW drivers can do this themselves 'over the air' without going to the dealer. Uhhh, Stuttgart---how about a fieldtrip to Muenchen to see how it 's done?!

So I've been also deciding what to do this fall....there are hints that there are some new features and a mild refresh for the 2019 GLC, most of what's been spied seems good, and I'd hope that with a more mature product, some of the quality issues have been remediated, but I am not sure I want to take that chance. But still, I am considering a 2019 GLC, or also strongly considering an X3 (will be 2019 MY). I test drove a 2018 X3 and quite liked it. I can't say I love the look AS MUCH as the GLC but I like the features more (except that I cannot get a tan synthetic leather with the options I want). Of course, I know that the 2018 X3 is a new model that may have quality issues of its own (I keep Googling for it). One day I am sure I will get a 2019 GLC and the next day I'm alll about the X3.

Anyway....tucked away in my blitherings above, I've given my perspective on the questions you've asked. The GLC is oustanding for comfort on long trips, and it has a history of concerns that have been, to now, covered under warranty. If you know of any BMW blogs that have the kind of driver engagement that MBWorld does, please let me know. I've found a couple but they don't have near the detail and engagement found here. But I have found, in some cases, that the BMW enthusiasts that post on those blogs can be even more snarky than some of the ones found on this site, but for the most part I think that most of the posts and posters are very constructive here and I appreciate it a lot.

Last edited by GSOTXL; 01-27-2018 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Adding a car to the lineage of cars I have owned
GSOTXL is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 08:53 AM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus ES 300
Originally Posted by GSOTXL View Post
Now, THIS is a thread that I will follow for the next several months.
I currently drive a 2016 GLC 300 4Matic - 3-year lease that ends this December. There is A LOT about the car that I really like and love, but there are some things that irritate me.
What I love:
1) The look and style. Visually, it is beautiful and I feel that it fits me.
2) The performance. I love how peppy it is, and even at highway speed I can accelerate surprisingly more to pass.
3) The comfort. It IS comfortable on long drives and through heavy traffic. I LOVE roadtrips with it!

What I do not love:
1) The squeeks and rattles. This REALLY annoys me. I have not had any car that does this. My 1983 Volvo 240 GL (which I got in 1993) was solid. My 1989 Volkwsagen Jetta Carat was solid. My 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL was solid. My 1998 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg was solid. My 2001 Audi A6 was solid. My 1999 Saab 93 was solid. My 2010 MB C300 4Matic was solid. My 2013 MB C300 4Matic was solid. My 2016 MB GLC300 4Matic rattles and squeeks. New tires (Continental run-flats, to replace the Pirelli runflats originally installed but wore very early, at just 15K miles) helped a lot but not 100%.
2) The Comand system...it's so clunky to use, but this will be true of all MBs with Comand.
3) There IS a history of recalls and warranty items, but I excuse that, for the most part, on the fact I got a first-year model and I assume that's just expected.
4) The turn radius...the ability to turn sharply at low speeds, such as in/out of parking spaces is pretty crappy. I thought at first it was just because it was a larger car than I have been driving before, but I had a 2018 MB GLE as a loaner recently and it turned as sharply as a sedan.
5) The MB internet connection and access to apps such as Spotify is ridiculously bad---I pre-paid 3 years of that, but cancelled it before the first year was up because it was terribly unreliable and low quality.
6) Why do we have to go to the dealer for map updates, or software updates? I thought I was on another planet when the BMW dealer told me that the BMW drivers can do this themselves 'over the air' without going to the dealer. Uhhh, Stuttgart---how about a fieldtrip to Muenchen to see how it 's done?!

So I've been also deciding what to do this fall....there are hints that there are some new features and a mild refresh for the 2019 GLC, most of what's been spied seems good, and I'd hope that with a more mature product, some of the quality issues have been remediated, but I am not sure I want to take that chance. But still, I am considering a 2019 GLC, or also strongly considering an X3 (will be 2019 MY). I test drove a 2018 X3 and quite liked it. I can't say I love the look AS MUCH as the GLC but I like the features more (except that I cannot get a tan synthetic leather with the options I want). Of course, I know that the 2018 X3 is a new model that may have quality issues of its own (I keep Googling for it). One day I am sure I will get a 2019 GLC and the next day I'm alll about the X3.

Anyway....tucked away in my blitherings above, I've given my perspective on the questions you've asked. The GLC is oustanding for comfort on long trips, and it has a history of concerns that have been, to now, covered under warranty. If you know of any BMW blogs that have the kind of driver engagement that MBWorld does, please let me know. I've found a couple but they don't have near the detail and engagement found here. But I have found, in some cases, that the BMW enthusiasts that post on those blogs can be even more snarky than some of the ones found on this site, but for the most part I think that most of the posts and posters are very constructive here and I appreciate it a lot.
Is it fair to assume
GLC has advantages in - Exterior view, smooth comfort ride for the long road trip
X3 has advantages in - Interior parts and internal features

How good is X3 or GLC in terms of hassle free long term ownership in terms of mechanical or engine issues.
smkuma is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 02:17 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 60
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Excellent review GSOTXL! I agree with pretty much everything you said, although for some reason I can never get 100% comfortable in my seat. As for the squeaks and rattles, I have them as well and it's very aggravating especially for someone like myself that's sensitive to those types of noises. My dealer has resolved a number of them, but others remain. In fact, I need to schedule an appointment to resolve a squeaky seat, and some rattles I hear by the back seats and I think in the suspension somewhere. My last 2 vehicles, 2006 BMW 330i and 2003 325i were solid and rattle free.

Unfortunately, when I bought my GLC last year, my 330i was starting to become unreliable and large expensive items were failing, so I had to make a decision. The only X3 available was the last generation which I didn't want to buy into since I knew a new generation was just on the horizon, and the new Q5's new outside styling to me looked like the last generation (boring and bland). So the GLC was the only choice for me. If the new X3 and GLC were available at the time I was looking, I may very well have chosen the new X3. It's a beautiful looking vehicle with a lot of up to date technology.

And to answer your question about active BMW boards, I used to belong and was active in E90Post, and they do have an X3 board as well - http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/index.php
Roowah is offline  
The following users liked this post:
GSOTXL (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 02:53 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Posts: 145
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2019 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
Originally Posted by Roowah View Post

And to answer your question about active BMW boards, I used to belong and was active in E90Post, and they do have an X3 board as well - http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/index.php
THANK YOU! This is exactly what I was looking for!
GSOTXL is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 03:10 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 60
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by GSOTXL View Post
THANK YOU! This is exactly what I was looking for!
Roowah is offline  
Old 01-27-2018, 10:44 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 180
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
It has been a long time since I participated, but the X3 forums(s) at bimmerfest were as active as any here,
ted_jane is offline  
Old 01-28-2018, 11:17 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 76
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 GLC 300
I faced the same dilemma, X3 vs GLC a few months ago. I had had diesels for the last few years and really wanted to stay with them, which left the X3 about the only choice. Drove a couple of X3s and liked them, but realized I liked the GLC better. It came down to seat comfort, overall feel of the car, and warranty. The GLC's seats were noticeably better, it handled and felt more like driving a car as opposed to an SUV (the BMW felt more truck-like) and I bought it CPO in order to take advantage of the M-B five year, unlimited mileage warranty. I drive a lot. I picked up the car in May with a little under 4,000 miles on it and here it is 8 months later ready to turn 31k.

So what can I tell you about it after 8 months and 27k miles? I pretty much agree with the other posters. Firstly, it's a fine long-distance hauler. Quiet and comfortable, I can drive it all day with a minimum of fatigue. My overall mileage seems to be running about 29-30 MPG driving at 5-10 mph over the limit. Performance is way more than adequate for passing at highway speeds and getting around town.

As others have pointed out, it does seem to have some rattles but I've been too busy driving it to sort out what noises are the car and which are just junk in the trunk. And, I agree that the Command System could be better; it's not up to Audi or BMW standards at all. Many have complained that it is not intuitive, and I would agree, but now I think I've got a pretty good handle on it and have learned to work with and around its quirks. I used the Mercedes Me Android app a lot to input destinations for the next day's drive. It apparently uses Google mapping and is very good, when it connects. I would say that Me connects a little over half the time so try early and often. It seems to be easier to get connections early in the morning.

Agree again that internet connection could be much better, and have taken to using audio streaming for much of my listening, which leads to a bit of a puzzle. Audio streaming often works when the GLC's internet radio doesn't even though they are presumably using the same source, the car's WiFi connection. And streaming has another advantage. Of all the different inputs (FM Radio, Sirius, SD card, etc.) streaming has the best sound quality, bringing out the best in the very nice and well-worth-the-money Burmester sound system.

In sum, this car's a keeper because its long-haul quiet comfort vastly out-weigh it annoyances.
ChinaBob is offline  
Old 01-29-2018, 12:30 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
slk55er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Frisco Colorado, USA
Posts: 459
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
'19 CLS53, '15 GLA250 Edition 1, '10 GLK350
Perhaps BMW has improved reliability as Mercedes has over the past 10 years, but from my experiences, Mercedes has it all over BMW in this regard. I had been a long time BMW enthusiast, BMW CCA Chapter president, original BMW National Webmaster, O'fest Co-chair, etc., but I am now firmly in the Mercedes camp.

My first BMW was purchased in 1968 -- a 2002, one of the first in the country. My involvement with BMWs continued with several 3 series, a 633CSi Euro. Delivery, racing an early M3 in an Escort World Challenge Race, getting one of the first E36 M3s in the country, and ended with a 740i which required an engine replacement after a radiator failure. It's a long story, but I had to pay $10,000 for the engine even though the car was still under warranty. No doubt BMW knows how to design a suspension and engine, but little parts like heater valves, radiators, cruise control units, voltage regulators, etc. frequently fail. With the 6 Mercedes that I have owned, only once has any of them required a warranty repair and that was simply a loose vacuum hose.

I know that the X3 has received great reviews, but I'd be sure to check and compare reliability of both models. There is no way I'll return to BMW even though my best friends and racing buddies are still BMW drivers.
slk55er is offline  
Old 01-29-2018, 01:16 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Posts: 145
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2019 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
Originally Posted by smkuma View Post
Is it fair to assume
GLC has advantages in - Exterior view, smooth comfort ride for the long road trip
X3 has advantages in - Interior parts and internal features

How good is X3 or GLC in terms of hassle free long term ownership in terms of mechanical or engine issues.
I think that there are many more details and features to explore and consider, far more than the very high-level few points I brought up from my own personal experience and opinions.
Examples of what I am working through to make my decision (in addition to the likes and dislikes that I put on my original comment ---the one that I'm weighing very heavily is consumer-driven software/nav updates for BMW versus having to schedule appts at MB, provided you even ever learn about software updates---MB is very opaque about this, and in a previous thread someone with experience at the dealers' service depts explained the lengthy process that the MB techs go through and that the dealers are not paid for this by MB---so we can have some empathy for the service dept, but I feel that the consumer is forgotten in that corporate model):
1) Climate control: X3 can get three-zone. GLC just two zone (in USA, unless you can order it as an option at the dealer though not available on online configurator). Likely plus for X3.
2) Backseat USB or power supply: GLC can have a household-type power outlet for the backseat (and I optioned my 2016 to have it). I think that the X3 does not. I think a plus for GLC.
3) Sunglasses holder: GLC has one built-in in the roof, but the bad thing is that it's so close to the SOS button that it's very easy to accidentally open the cover to the SOS button when all you intended to do was get your sunglasses. I do not yet know of a sunglass holder in X3. Plus for GLC.
4) Head-up Display: This is maybe just very subjective for me, or maybe there are options available when ordering at dealer than available on online configurator. But, I would be getting a nearly fully loaded GLC; the way I have optioned it out so far on the configurator, I cannot get Head-up Display. BUT it's included in an also very nearly loaded X3. Plus for X3.
5) Fog lights: I personally like how these are integrated into the headlights in GLC (I have the super cool, must always have adaptive LED headlights). In X3, they are improved with 2018 but still separate from the headlights. I think this just boils down to personal preference. I can't say this would sway me one way or the other, in the end, so I'd call this a wash. But for some people it may matter.

As for me, I am still totally undecided BUT since I would be shopping for a 2019 model, I can continue to wait and see what is offered and available for the 2019s, and get a bit more sense of history for the new X3 model.
GSOTXL is offline  
Old 01-29-2018, 04:13 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 248
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
I like the BMW but they require you to lay out about $3000 for a navigation/tech package in order to get premium sound or a heated steering wheel. No thanks.
mtberman is offline  
Old 01-29-2018, 04:54 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 58
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG
both were on our short list and we went with the GLC for the following reasons;

- I think it looked better from the outside
- the interior felt/looked more upscale
- the feel of the vehicle was more "substantial"
- the wheels on the Bimmer were smaller and looked less suitable for the size of the vehicle; the optional 19's on the BMW looked worse than the 20's on the BMW, and can't compare to the optional 21's.

It's like BMW requires you to move up to the X5 to get the best looking SUV whereas I find the GLC more attractive than the larger MB SUV's

Dave

We ended up going with the GLC 43.
DPelletier is offline  
Old 01-29-2018, 10:56 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 65
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLC300 P01 selenite grey
The new GLC has the integrated smart phone as an option. But the X3 only has apple car play , no android auto...
I have the 2018 GLC300 and my girlfriend has the X3. We both agreed that the GLC is a much better car overall, in performance, function, looks, and luxury.
stath is offline  
Old 01-30-2018, 12:05 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
PeteInGilroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gilroy, CA
Posts: 422
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
My wife and I narrowed down our choices to the X3 and GLC300. First we went to the Mercedes dealer and went for a test drive and that sealed the deal. The ride was perfect. My wife said she didn't need to drive the X3, she loved the GLC300.
PeteInGilroy is offline  
Old 01-30-2018, 03:55 AM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 204
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by ChinaBob View Post
So what can I tell you about it after 8 months and 27k miles? I pretty much agree with the other posters. Firstly, it's a fine long-distance hauler. Quiet and comfortable, I can drive it all day with a minimum of fatigue. My overall mileage seems to be running about 29-30 MPG driving at 5-10 mph over the limit. Performance is way more than adequate for passing at highway speeds and getting around town.
In sum, this car's a keeper because its long-haul quiet comfort vastly out-weigh it annoyances.
I cropped this quote to emphasize that the above description is exactly what my experience has been as a long hauler. Of course, the majority of comments on this forum are going to lean heavily toward the GLC, including mine. But, as one who owned two BMWs, both riddled with multiple annoyances that couldn’t be corrected at the dealer after several visits and both of which had serious reliability issues, I wouldn’t give BMW a third try.
guido3 is offline  
Old 01-30-2018, 08:05 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 64
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300
My personal experience w/ the GLC has been excellent.

I haven't had any of the issues reported on these boards.
- No tire shuddering
- No brake squeal (got down to 7 degrees here)
- No rattles or noises
- No jerky transmission
- No build issues of any kind

I don't do much highway driving, but when I do the vehicle is very smooth and comfortable. I can cruise at 70 mph at a quiet 1600 rpm in comfort mode, and the only noise is wind.

Seat comfort is individual. I love the adjustable seats (as one review said, if you can't get comfortable in these seats...please check that you're human). My wife prefers Acura seats which are flatter are not contoured.

Overall it's been a fantastic vehicle & I couldn't be happier w/ my purchase.
mike7ee is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 04:26 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 264
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Oddly enough this thread is of interest to me too, as my GLC will be three years old at the end of the year, and although it's privately owned and not leased, there's still the question of whether to keep it after the warranty has expired. I say oddly because I really like driving the car for the reasons described, particularly after I switched to non-RFT, and I haven't had any significant issues with it. On the face of it I should keep it, or change over to a new model.

There are two issues that trouble me. One is the long term cost of ownership. I didn't buy an MB with my eyes completely closed about costs, but I suspect that they weren't fully open either. Some of the costs of local servicing that have been bandied about are a bit scary, and my own enquiries suggest that while not completely scary, they're a lot more than I want to pay. Heavy use of the cruise control has been said to cause early wear of the rather expensive brake pads, and that's not a cost that you can reduce by using an independent service person.

The other issue is trust. Owners in RHD have had problems with tyre crabbing and the local MB response has been unsatisfactory IMHO. I'm fortunate not to have had it much, and switching to non-RFT pretty much eliminated it. But I may not be so lucky next time. You don't pay this sort of money to buy a car that, in the worst cases, drives so poorly. It's supposed to be a luxury car, darn it! This does not engender trust. There's also a local case that I've read about of one MB owner (not GLC) who bought a lemon (these things must happen now and then in any brand), who got pretty rough treatment from MBA. So I don't feel that trust has been established and that affects my desire to hang on to the car.

Who can you trust, in this segment of the market? I would be very hesitant to trust VW/Audi. I was thinking perhaps of BMW, and the X3 would be the equivalent. A number of family members seem happy with their BMWs. But now I read that they're not as reliable as MB. Is this really right?
bips is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 06:47 AM
  #18  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Trumbull, CT USA
Posts: 517
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by bips View Post
Oddly enough this thread is of interest to me too, as my GLC will be three years old at the end of the year, and although it's privately owned and not leased, there's still the question of whether to keep it after the warranty has expired. I say oddly because I really like driving the car for the reasons described, particularly after I switched to non-RFT, and I haven't had any significant issues with it. On the face of it I should keep it, or change over to a new model.

There are two issues that trouble me. One is the long term cost of ownership. I didn't buy an MB with my eyes completely closed about costs, but I suspect that they weren't fully open either. Some of the costs of local servicing that have been bandied about are a bit scary, and my own enquiries suggest that while not completely scary, they're a lot more than I want to pay. Heavy use of the cruise control has been said to cause early wear of the rather expensive brake pads, and that's not a cost that you can reduce by using an independent service person.

The other issue is trust. Owners in RHD have had problems with tyre crabbing and the local MB response has been unsatisfactory IMHO. I'm fortunate not to have had it much, and switching to non-RFT pretty much eliminated it. But I may not be so lucky next time. You don't pay this sort of money to buy a car that, in the worst cases, drives so poorly. It's supposed to be a luxury car, darn it! This does not engender trust. There's also a local case that I've read about of one MB owner (not GLC) who bought a lemon (these things must happen now and then in any brand), who got pretty rough treatment from MBA. So I don't feel that trust has been established and that affects my desire to hang on to the car.

Who can you trust, in this segment of the market? I would be very hesitant to trust VW/Audi. I was thinking perhaps of BMW, and the X3 would be the equivalent. A number of family members seem happy with their BMWs. But now I read that they're not as reliable as MB. Is this really right?
curious regarding your comment about not being able to reduce brake pad cost using an independent service person. are the factory brake pads really that expensive? and if so i'm sure there are aftermarket less expensive options no?
how many miles did you get out of your brakes with the heavy cruise control use? i really like this feature but of course wearing out the pads on the highway for no reason bothers me.
ajmtbm is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 07:35 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 264
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Originally Posted by ajmtbm View Post
curious regarding your comment about not being able to reduce brake pad cost using an independent service person. are the factory brake pads really that expensive? and if so i'm sure there are aftermarket less expensive options no?
how many miles did you get out of your brakes with the heavy cruise control use? i really like this feature but of course wearing out the pads on the highway for no reason bothers me.
I confess that I was taking the figures in this post at face value:
https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...ml#post7359733
I haven't checked them myself. I've just had my two year service at 35,000kms and the report said that I had 60% left on the front and 50% on the rear (which is odd that it's that way around - more wear on the rear). On that basis I'd be replacing pads at 70,000kms (44,000 miles) / four years. That's better than the other chap, but I've never had to replace brake pads in non-MB cars before that I can recall, and they've all done more kms than that. Wasn't something that I'd factored into my thinking.

The cost he was quoted was also a bit of a shock, and he found that an independent wasn't any cheaper on balance. I don't have a problem with non-OEM parts when it comes to oil filters, fuel filters, air filters, but when I started to research brake pads I found people who had tried OEM had experienced problems.

I don't want to divert this thread into a discussion of brake pad costs. I was only trying to point out that when comparing a GLC and an X3, to my mind there are two broad issues - how much we do or don't like each car as a package and to drive, and the issues of longer term ownership once the first flushes of infatuation and enjoyment have worn off.
bips is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 10:17 AM
  #20  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Dorset, UK
Posts: 638
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
GLC 43
Originally Posted by bips View Post
Oddly enough this thread is of interest to me too, as my GLC will be three years old at the end of the year, and although it's privately owned and not leased, there's still the question of whether to keep it after the warranty has expired. I say oddly because I really like driving the car for the reasons described, particularly after I switched to non-RFT, and I haven't had any significant issues with it. On the face of it I should keep it, or change over to a new model.

There are two issues that trouble me. One is the long term cost of ownership. I didn't buy an MB with my eyes completely closed about costs, but I suspect that they weren't fully open either. Some of the costs of local servicing that have been bandied about are a bit scary, and my own enquiries suggest that while not completely scary, they're a lot more than I want to pay. Heavy use of the cruise control has been said to cause early wear of the rather expensive brake pads, and that's not a cost that you can reduce by using an independent service person.

The other issue is trust. Owners in RHD have had problems with tyre crabbing and the local MB response has been unsatisfactory IMHO. I'm fortunate not to have had it much, and switching to non-RFT pretty much eliminated it. But I may not be so lucky next time. You don't pay this sort of money to buy a car that, in the worst cases, drives so poorly. It's supposed to be a luxury car, darn it! This does not engender trust. There's also a local case that I've read about of one MB owner (not GLC) who bought a lemon (these things must happen now and then in any brand), who got pretty rough treatment from MBA. So I don't feel that trust has been established and that affects my desire to hang on to the car.

Who can you trust, in this segment of the market? I would be very hesitant to trust VW/Audi. I was thinking perhaps of BMW, and the X3 would be the equivalent. A number of family members seem happy with their BMWs. But now I read that they're not as reliable as MB. Is this really right?
Regarding the trust issue and the crabbing MB'S response in the UK has been different, the have authorised the fitting of all weather tyres free of charge. Unfortunately on the GLC 43 there are no all weather tyres available for 19 or 20 inch wheels. I had to take my case to the motoring ombudsman and MB have just authorised for me to have a set of 20 inch multispoke amg wheels and winter tyres free of charge, I just pay for storage and changing.. The tyres on my car are 19 inch night pack ones. It has taken me 11 months and a lot of frustration with this issue but if you persevere you may be able to get a satisfactory conclusion. This all came about in the UK with owners informing the motoring press and MB getting bad publicity..
Philamg is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 10:24 AM
  #21  
Junior Member
 
carnutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 32
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC
Philamg, I think it helps your cause that you own the AMG model.
carnutt is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 10:56 AM
  #22  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 15
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
Interesting thread. I was making the same decision last year for a second car. As a long term BMW owner (currently driving a 535ix) , I was naturally biased towards the X3.

I decided to go with the GLC300 since my #1 criteria was a good driver assistance package. The X3 as of last year did not have steering assist built into the dynamic cruise control system. The GLC driver assistance packages appeared to be better put together.

Having now driven the car since last August - more recently in the Canadian winter with snow covered roads, I am absolutely delighted by how well the technology works on this car. I think the GLC wins hands down on this criteria - of course the next gen X3 may up the ante.
binone is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 12:18 PM
  #23  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Dorset, UK
Posts: 638
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
GLC 43
Originally Posted by carnutt View Post
Philamg, I think it helps your cause that you own the AMG model.
Absolutely the opposite carnutt, I have had to fight for a solution for the 43, all the other models in the UK have all seasons available and MB has been supplying and fitting them free of charge.
Philamg is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 02:16 PM
  #24  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 58
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC43AMG
Originally Posted by Philamg View Post
Unfortunately on the GLC 43 there are no all weather tyres available for 19 or 20 inch wheels. I had to take my case to the motoring ombudsman and MB have just authorised for me to have a set of 20 inch multispoke amg wheels and winter tyres free of charge, I just pay for storage and changing..
hmmm; our GLC 43 came with 20" wheels and all season tires which appeared to be identical to the GLC 300 coupes with 20's on the lot. Unfortunately for me, we had the dealer swap the 20's with a GLC43 demo that had the optional 21" summers and then inherited the "crabbing" issue. Currently running aftermarket 19's with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's ...no problem with them, of course.

Dave
DPelletier is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 03:44 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 264
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
GLC 250D
Most of the GLC issues we're now discussing have been well covered on MBWorld. I'm more interested in hearing more about people's experience with BMW, even though this is an MB forum. Are BMW really less reliable than MB, or are the cases mentioned here isolated? How were BMW to deal with? Are they more or less trustworthy than MB? What's the long-term cost of ownership like? Perhaps this is the wrong place to raise these issues, since people posting here are likely to have made the switch to MB and so it's not a sampling of all views. I may be better going to that X3 forum, although the experiences of those who've owned both brands is really helpful. (I do really like the GLC, despite minor niggles.)
bips is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz GLC vs. BMW X3


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: