GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Wired Apple Car Play or GLC Navigation SD ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4Matic
Wired Apple Car Play or GLC Navigation SD ?

I currently do not have the Mercedes stock navigation, but I am able to purchase the SD card from the dealership. The GLC is wired for the SD navigation support. I can use navigation when I connect my Iphone to the USB port, but i'm leaning towards the SD card. What do you guys think? Is it worth the $180 for convenience or just stick with the Apple Car Play? Thanks.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:21 PM

2019 GLC 63
Same issue on GLC63!

I'm furious... a fully loaded $100,000 AMG doesn't have Apple Car play. I"m searching to see how I can get this added.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,833 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Gregg_48
I'm furious... a fully loaded $100,000 AMG doesn't have Apple Car play. I"m searching to see how I can get this added.
Looks like this is an old thread with no responses, but in the GLC/C-Class, Apple Car play was a separate option in the pre-FL. The C-Class got the updated Infotainment system for 2019 which has both Apple Car Play and Android Auto standard. The GLC is getting MBUX for 2020, which also has it standard. Also, the issue with the Smartphone integration package was that it couldn't be combined with the Multimedia package. It was either or. If you have the Multimedia package, there is not a way to add it, but w/o the Multimedia package, the Smartphone integration package can be retrofitted as far as I know. OP doesn't have the Multimedia package, but his car apparently has the Smartphone integration package.

Multimedia package conflicts with Smartphone package:

Last edited by superswiss; 11-18-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 178 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by Gregg_48
Search this forum, there was another thread recently showing aftermarket solution ....
Old 11-19-2019, 01:54 PM

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
2019 GLC300, 2017 E300
Stick with apple car play - doesn't need annual updates and the interface w/ your phone is nicer than clicking through the menus and typing addresses in the nav.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:43 PM

GLC 300 4Matic SUV
hi all..

I have a 2019 GLC 300 4MATIC with no touch pad but my car comes with the NAV button and SD CARD slot.. will a Garmin SD Card still work?
Old 11-21-2019, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
I won't go into the which you should choose - these are personal choices. But I'll throw in my personal observation - factory GPS, from ANY manufacturer (maybe save for latest Audi/Porsche and Tesla) are total and complete garbage. They utilize mapping data and graphics from hand-held GPS devices from many years ago. Using an iPhone or Android with the proper link-up gives you the latest and greatest. Want Google Maps? Got it. Waze? sure. Apple Maps (have yourself checked over for concussion protocol - seriously though, you can have it). The fact that you get a choice of interface, newer data, and really REALLY good traffic info should be enough to fight for getting CarPlay Android Auto working.
The following users liked this post:
fred9x (11-25-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Let's not get "Off-Track" with opinions.

Up thru last Gen - on GPS auto manufacturers we at the mercy - so to speak - of the major GPS players who has a lock in their segments with their Map Data/Operating-Systems - the German auto manufacturers banded investment together and bought one of those - so that car manufacturers could own their part of that space - AND also pay to support CarPlay as a options (which for luxury autro manuf is NOT cheap) and in Mercedes case also continue commitment to support Android Auto as a option.

If you have SD Nav ability - search eBay for 3rd party sellers of the appropriate card for your Yr/Model - which will be $80 or under - which is certainly affordable - especially if you DON'T have CarPlay/Android-Auto - and in my case I have CarPlay - but I like having the SD-Card Nav as backup.

In 19's going forward MBUS bring the newest MBNav system into play - with over-the-air automatic map updates - and frankly overall is about-as-slick-almost as CarPlay/AAuto - and in some respects MBConnect Nav could be considered slicker in several GPS areas
Old 11-24-2019, 08:33 AM

GLC 300 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Let's not get "Off-Track" with opinions.

Up thru last Gen - on GPS auto manufacturers we at the mercy - so to speak - of the major GPS players who has a lock in their segments with their Map Data/Operating-Systems - the German auto manufacturers banded investment together and bought one of those - so that car manufacturers could own their part of that space - AND also pay to support CarPlay as a options (which for luxury autro manuf is NOT cheap) and in Mercedes case also continue commitment to support Android Auto as a option.

If you have SD Nav ability - search eBay for 3rd party sellers of the appropriate card for your Yr/Model - which will be $80 or under - which is certainly affordable - especially if you DON'T have CarPlay/Android-Auto - and in my case I have CarPlay - but I like having the SD-Card Nav as backup.

In 19's going forward MBUS bring the newest MBNav system into play - with over-the-air automatic map updates - and frankly overall is about-as-slick-almost as CarPlay/AAuto - and in some respects MBConnect Nav could be considered slicker in several GPS areas
GOOD WAY TO PUT IT!

My car did come with Apple CarPlay and the NAV, although my car does not come with the touchpad, I figured I'd take the chance anyway and buy the Garmin SD card with the updated maps and after receiving it yesterday I popped that baby right into the slot and it works! To be honest it's refreshing to know the NAV button isn't a dummy button.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 GLC300 4matic
I bought a Garmin SD card via ebay and yes, it installed successfully and is easy to use. But the road directions are often not good. That is, it takes me off interstates/highways mid trip. I have gone back to using my TomTom device.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:42 PM

GLC 300 4Matic SUV
Smile

Originally Posted by fred9x
I bought a Garmin SD card via ebay and yes, it installed successfully and is easy to use. But the road directions are often not good. That is, it takes me off interstates/highways mid trip. I have gone back to using my TomTom device.
I will have to test mine out later when I drive it! I really wanted the SD Card just as a backup/emergency purposes for when I head out to no cell service area's and my CarPlay maps won't work. Hoping it will only be used for those purposes.