GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Apple Carplay to get Waze & Google Maps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300
Apple Carplay to get Waze & Google Maps

I know there aren't a lot of GLC owners with Carplay, but this was really great news for me.

Apple CarPlay will add Google Maps and Waze support with iOS 12
Old 06-04-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2021 GLB 250
Yes, this is fantastic news. I love Waze.

My GLC (en route but not delivered) will be my first vehicle with Car Play. How do you get the system updates? It is over the air or does a dealer need to do the update?
Old 06-05-2018, 12:42 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
GLC
Thank God
Carplay has been worthless without Google Maps
Old 06-05-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
It would be even better if MB fixed the overall problem and offered ACP/AA WITH COMAND, instead of the two separate options available now. If they can do it for a GLA45, why the heck can't they do it for the GLC... Good on Apple for this update!
Old 06-06-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 300
DDGator: It is a function of your iPhone's software, so it will happen when iOS12 is released and you update your iPhone. You will then see the apps available on the screen in the car when you use CarPlay.
The following users liked this post:
DDGator (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 11:33 AM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by Scoho
DDGator: It is a function of your iPhone's software, so it will happen when iOS12 is released and you update your iPhone. You will then see the apps available on the screen in the car when you use CarPlay.
Huh. I am kind of an Apple geek, but this will be my first CarPlay experience. Didn't consider that the upgrage is totally on the iOS side. Awesome. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 300
I could be wrong, but that is what I understand. There is obviously an interplay between MB and Apple on how CarPlay is implemented in MBs, but my understanding is that the apps that show up as part of CarPlay are a function of Apple and the iOS. That seems to be the case from the articles also, but I could be wrong for sure.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:46 AM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by Scoho
I could be wrong, but that is what I understand. There is obviously an interplay between MB and Apple on how CarPlay is implemented in MBs, but my understanding is that the apps that show up as part of CarPlay are a function of Apple and the iOS. That seems to be the case from the articles also, but I could be wrong for sure.

When I read the statements about this upgrade closer, I think you totally right. That makes sense, and is so much easier than getting an update to your car.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
This new GLC 300 owner was happy to hear this news. While in general Apple Maps is just fine for me in my area, it's not quite as quick to get traffic updates as Waze. I have my Waze issues, but I'll be glad to have the choices.

And for those who've not used CarPlay, I find it quite seamless. I plug in my phone and if I'd been playing something (a podcast, eg), when I start my car my phone/CarPlay picks right up where I left off. Some complain that there aren't enough supported apps, but now that Apple is opening up a little, those complaints should subside.

My while-driving app needs are basic (music, podcasts, audible, occasionally tunein, and of course, maps/navigation) and I like staying completely in the Apple ecosystem. I also like that the physical Navi dashboard button immediately brings up Apple Maps. The voice commands are seamless, too (subject to the status of your love/hate relationship with Siri).

The CarPlay standalone option availability helped steer (ha!) me to choosing the GLC300--it didn't bother me that you had to choose between COMAND nav and CarPlay/Android Auto enablement. I suspect we'll see CarPlay come standard in the future, but that's only a guess.
The following users liked this post:
DDGator (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 02:18 PM

2021 GLB 250
This is good to hear, Chrispyx. This is exactly how I plan to use Car Play, and was a factor for me in choosing the vehicle too. I should have it in another two weeks or so. It would be nice if the CarPlay was wireless and there was a wireless charging spot... but maybe for my next car.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:32 PM

2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by DDGator
This is good to hear, Chrispyx. This is exactly how I plan to use Car Play, and was a factor for me in choosing the vehicle too. I should have it in another two weeks or so. It would be nice if the CarPlay was wireless and there was a wireless charging spot... but maybe for my next car.

Thanks.
I hear you re wireless. I've only had the vehicle for a few weeks (and am loving it!) but I'm already wishing CarPlay was wireless--bluetooth is, obviously, and maybe someone out there can tell us what the challenges are in doing both wirelessly.

Based on another thread, which I can't find right now, I ordered a
tray for the center console tray for the center console
, which fit perfectly and helped with my sense of order while reducing the need to dig for my phone when leaving the car
Old 06-08-2018, 02:57 PM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by chrispyk
I hear you re wireless. I've only had the vehicle for a few weeks (and am loving it!) but I'm already wishing CarPlay was wireless--bluetooth is, obviously, and maybe someone out there can tell us what the challenges are in doing both wirelessly.

Based on another thread, which I can't find right now, I ordered a tray for the center console, which fit perfectly and helped with my sense of order while reducing the need to dig for my phone when leaving the car
BMW CarPlay is already wireless, but I think they are the first. It can only be related to speed of data transmission through Bluetooth I would think... I'm sure MB will get there in the next version of Smartphone Integration.

I don't have the car yet, but I already have the center console tray and an 18-inch braided Lighting Cable sitting here on my desk, ready to go. If found that when I had a GLC for an extended test drive, I left my phone in the car a few times because "out of sight, out of mind!"
Old 06-09-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
I believe the bandwidth of Bluetooth doesn't allow for all the data that needs to be transferred. So a wifi connection is required.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:30 PM

GLC
Is it possible for the current GLCs to get wireless Carplay/AA via software update? Meaning is the hardware already in place?
Old 06-10-2018, 12:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Originally Posted by openwheelracing
Is it possible for the current GLCs to get wireless Carplay/AA via software update? Meaning is the hardware already in place?
This has been a topic of extended debate here. My best guess is that your chances are slim (if you have the current hardware revision from September 2017 manufacture onwards) to none (if you have the previous hardware revision).

I'd love to be surprised in that regard, but I'm not optimistic.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:23 PM

GLC
As long as hardware is in place, I hope we can at least code it. Wireless just makes so much more sense. I kept forgetting my phone in May during our ED.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:15 PM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by openwheelracing
As long as hardware is in place, I hope we can at least code it. Wireless just makes so much more sense. I kept forgetting my phone in May during our ED.
I tend to doubt the hardware is there. Audio works though Bluetooth, but wireless CarPlay requires a wifi connection between car and phone.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300
BMW's wireless carplay is an expensive option.

I believe the WiFi hotspot is required, because that's how your phone will connect (not bluetooth, not enough bandwidth). $500.

And Carplay costs you a $80 fee per year, even if you fully own the vehicle.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/new...icle-1.3764347

I'll just plug my phone in, thanks. I always do anyway to charge it on my commute.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:50 PM

2021 GLB 250
Originally Posted by mike7ee
BMW's wireless carplay is an expensive option.

I believe the WiFi hotspot is required, because that's how your phone will connect (not bluetooth, not enough bandwidth). $500.

And Carplay costs you a $80 fee per year, even if you fully own the vehicle.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/new...icle-1.3764347

I'll just plug my phone in, thanks. I always do anyway to charge it on my commute.
BMW's CarPlay doesn't require a Wifi hotspot. The price for CarPlay includes the necessary hardware for the Wifi transmission of data.

From what I hear, it is not clear what BMW is going to do with CarPlay pricing. If they go to a subscription model with annual pricing, you won't have to also pay for the hardware as an option. So... it could be a better deal for people who are leasing.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:55 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by mike7ee
I know there aren't a lot of GLC owners with Carplay, but this was really great news for me.

Apple CarPlay will add Google Maps and Waze support with iOS 12

The latest Waze update released today now supports Carplay!
The following 2 users liked this post by jerome8283:
chrispyk (09-25-2018), MBCA (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 11:47 AM

2018 GLC 300 4MATIC
Indeed--I'm looking forward to trying out Waze. I was mildly underwhelmed with the Google Maps/CarPlay release. I like the map display better than Apple Maps, but Google Maps kept crashing CarPlay in my GLC300. I'm assuming a later release of Google Maps will perform better; I probably will stick with Apple Maps, though, since as far as I can tell, there's no way to configure CarPlay to default to Google Maps for my steering wheel-enabled voice commands ("directions to <insert destination here>". I've a similar complaint about Spotify vs Apple Music--I'm trying both services out at the moment for a variety of reasons--but CarPlay won't use voice commands for Spotify.

I am glad that Apple is grudgingly recognizing reality in that many of us would rather mix/match our toys with our software services.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Has anyone seen how to display current speed (in addition to current speed limit) in the CarPlay screen of Waze?
Old 10-14-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by peet
Has anyone seen how to display current speed (in addition to current speed limit) in the CarPlay screen of Waze?
It does not work for me either. I would love to show the current speed and have it go red when I exceed the current limit. It works via the mobile device. Maybe a future release will include this.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
The other thing I'm totally missing, media controls while in Waze. Previously in GLA I had Waze on a phone mounted on dash, audio via bluetooth. If I was playing a podcast, the media controls on the GLA (ff/rew and knob) would let me skip around the podcast. Now while in Waze, and with no ff/rew button on the GLC, the knob purely controls carplay so no skipping commercials. I did program some siri shortcuts to my podcast app, but it's still wonky.