GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

opening windows with the remote from the outside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300 P01 selenite grey
opening windows with the remote from the outside

I used to be able to open the 4 windows in my 2018GLC with the remote, by pushing twice the open button on the remote, and holding the button depressed the second time.
I tried it again yesterday and now it doesn't work...I must be doing something wrong.

This feature is not discussed in the user's manual, but it seems to be standard with most German cars.
Anyone has been able to open the windows from outside with the remote?
Old 08-31-2018, 12:20 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Press and hold the Unlock button on the FIRST push and it should work. Don’t think doing that on a “second” push is necessary.

In in case you didn’t know, pressing and holding the Lock button will close all the windows (and the Pano too if it’s open). Again, press and hold on the FIRST push.

The following users liked this post:
stath (09-01-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 08:15 AM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
i believe you have to be very close to the vehicle for it to work.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
Yes, you have to be super, super close -- a really stupid trait to the whole function. You should be able to roll your windows down/up as far as the remote works (like my Lexus and Acura had it)... a wonderful feature to air your car out on a very hot 100+ degree summer day!!

Another cool feature -- if you're exiting the car and realize one window is slightly open, you can hold the lock button on the exterior door handle and the windows will also close.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:41 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by Vaboy
Press and hold the Unlock button on the FIRST push and it should work. Don’t think doing that on a “second” push is necessary.

In in case you didn’t know, pressing and holding the Lock button will close all the windows (and the Pano too if it’s open). Again, press and hold on the FIRST push.

Thank you for this, I will give it a shot. This has been driving me crazy for months and I assumed it was a 2 push (hold 2nd push) system like on my BMW. The times it has worked it does seem like u have to be way too close. Will bring that up on first dealer visit.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Just tried on my UK GLC and as said only works when you are near car.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLC Coupe
as mentioned by several people above, only works when you're super close to the car
Old 09-01-2018, 12:47 PM

GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
So, went and messed around with this in the garage a bit, so didn't get to test distance, but the way MB has set up this function is still frustrating. IF you have a Pano roof and the sunshade is closed, it still seems like you have to do a 2-step process. Push open and hold on keyfob once which unlocks everything and then opens the sunshade, then press open/hold again and the windows, sunroof, seat ventilation opens/comes on. I tried holding the open button on the keyfob and it doesn't work as a 1 step, if the sunroof sunshade is closed. Can someone else that has a Pano confirm this? Stupid implementation by MB, if so. I will say it is neat to just hold the button on the door handle to close everything up, but that may get used 1% of the time. Opening everything up on a hot day, easily and from a decent distance, is the more necessary function.

Last edited by Chrisk03; 09-01-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300 P01 selenite grey
Ok, that worked, when real close to the car. (I don't have a pano roof).
I think it used to work at a better range a year ago. Maybe the battery is getting weak now?
Old 09-03-2018, 02:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 300 4Matic, Sport+Night
Cool

Originally Posted by stath
Ok, that worked, when real close to the car. (I don't have a pano roof).
I think it used to work at a better range a year ago. Maybe the battery is getting weak now?
I'm not sure if this is still the case, but older MB used two signals infrared and radio. The radio frequency locked/unlocked, and the infrared did the window functions. If that's till the case today, it may be the reason why you have to be close -- infrared works at shorter ranges ... but I don't see those little black infrared receivers embedded into the handles like the older MB had. I dunno.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
GL450, AMG C63S Coupe
Anyone know of any hacks/ tricks to get it to work from greater distances? My Infiniti would work from about 50 feet away. Its kinda useless to only be able to vent the car when you are almost close enough to get inside already
Old 09-05-2018, 11:28 PM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Anyone know of any hacks/ tricks to get it to work from greater distances? My Infiniti would work from about 50 feet away. Its kinda useless to only be able to vent the car when you are almost close enough to get inside already
Of course you could always use the Remote Start function in the Mercedes me app to cool your car down.....if it would actually work when you wanted to use it. I tried it in my driveway once and thought “cool”. Then the few times I tried to use it while out and about, the Mercedes me app was either down or it “thought” I had less than 5 gallons of gas and wouldn’t remote start it. Really? It only runs like 10 minutes on remote start. That’s a little too much nanny state for me. I lost interest and have never tried to use it again.

Maybe someone will let us know if Mercedes me is more reliable lately.
CasemLuke (09-07-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 12:01 AM
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300W4 Sport
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
So, went and messed around with this in the garage a bit, so didn't get to test distance, but the way MB has set up this function is still frustrating. IF you have a Pano roof and the sunshade is closed, it still seems like you have to do a 2-step process. Push open and hold on keyfob once which unlocks everything and then opens the sunshade, then press open/hold again and the windows, sunroof, seat ventilation opens/comes on. I tried holding the open button on the keyfob and it doesn't work as a 1 step, if the sunroof sunshade is closed. Can someone else that has a Pano confirm this? Stupid implementation by MB, if so. I will say it is neat to just hold the button on the door handle to close everything up, but that may get used 1% of the time. Opening everything up on a hot day, easily and from a decent distance, is the more necessary function.
Originally Posted by CasemLuke
I'm not sure if this is still the case, but older MB used two signals infrared and radio. The radio frequency locked/unlocked, and the infrared did the window functions. If that's till the case today, it may be the reason why you have to be close -- infrared works at shorter ranges ... but I don't see those little black infrared receivers embedded into the handles like the older MB had. I dunno.
This is correct but will depend on model & trim, but the vehicle rolls down the windows & rolls back the shade first, but will not continue the action of opening the pano roof - that requires a second cycle on the key. It's actually one of the most frustrating things to me, as it severely handicaps the functionality of the feature.

Luke is spot on here as well; because of that infrastructure, not only is a close distance needed, line-of-sight is also required for the advanced features. For best operation the cycle should be performed while pointing the key fob at the driver door of the vehicle. If you know how to do it and when it can best be utilized, sure it's neat - but it could be way better, and needs to be much better moving forward.

Originally Posted by Vaboy

Of course you could always use the Remote Start function in the Mercedes me app to cool your car down.....if it would actually work when you wanted to use it. I tried it in my driveway once and thought “cool”. Then the few times I tried to use it while out and about, the Mercedes me app was either down or it “thought” I had less than 5 gallons of gas and wouldn’t remote start it. Really? It only runs like 10 minutes on remote start. That’s a little too much nanny state for me. I lost interest and have never tried to use it again.

Maybe someone will let us know if Mercedes me is more reliable lately.
Eh, yes and no in the context of this feature. Old MMe app sucks, I seem to have gotten it to work for everyone except me. What I mean by that is yes you can link the app up fairly easily yourself, and it looks to be functioning. Play with it a little bit and you'll notice that only some functions work, and none of them work particularly well. However, this app is being phased out and from now on (2019+) Mercedes Me Connect will be what's used. This must be activated by your dealer when you purchase your vehicle. Looks to be a lot of good stuff that was messed up the first time around, but we'll see.

Oh, and it's now free for 3 years, not 5.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 GLC300 4matic SUV
Pano roof and sunshade operate separately. Each requires a separate button push to fully open or fully close. This is true from inside the car and it works the same from outside.
  • If everything is open on mine, and I press/hold the lock button, windows and sunroof close but shade does not. Shade requires a second press/hold/, same as it does when I'm inside.
  • If everything is closed and I press/hold the unlock button, windows and shade open but sunroof does not. Roof opening requires a second press/hold on mine. Again, same as it does when I'm inside.
I've done it from as far away as about 20-30 feet on my 2018 GLC300.
Chrisk03 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
GL450, AMG C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by mtberman
Pano roof and sunshade operate separately. Each requires a separate button push to fully open or fully close. This is true from inside the car and it works the same from outside.
  • If everything is open on mine, and I press/hold the lock button, windows and sunroof close but shade does not. Shade requires a second press/hold/, same as it does when I'm inside.
  • If everything is closed and I press/hold the unlock button, windows and shade open but sunroof does not. Roof opening requires a second press/hold on mine. Again, same as it does when I'm inside.
20-30 feet? Are you approaching from the driver side when it works from that distance? I cant get it to work at all from the passenger side on my C63. On our GL450 it works from either side and from a distance a bit greater than it works on my C but still not as far as I think it should.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:18 PM

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
Mercedes-Ben GLC300 4Matic
Is the MercedesMe Connect App available on the GLC for 2019? or just some of the 2019 MB's? Looks like it does a lot more than the me App, im guessing us old timers are out of luck?

As far as the exiting MercedesMe app, when i first got the vehicle i will say it was maybe 65% or so good at starting, maybe a little more. now just over a year later i will say it works right almost all of the time, though once in a while it does miss.

yes and the 5 gallon limit on a such a small tank is crazy.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:04 AM

GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Originally Posted by mtberman
Perhaps there is something wrong with my GLC or key fob then, based on your bullet points. For your second bullet (everything closed), if I push and hold the button once, I do hear the sunshade retract/open, BUT my windows/etc DON'T open. If I press and hold a second time, that's when the windows, sunroof and vented seats open/turn on. Guess I'll have to play around a bit more and will test with both key fobs. This is for a 2018 GLC43 with pano and vented seats, if that matters. Thanks!