GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Has anybody been notified by MBUSA that a new Nav update was available?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 01:04 AM

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
'17 BMW X3, '18 GLC300 4Matic
Has anybody been notified by MBUSA that a new Nav update was available?

Just wondering if anyone has actually been notified by MBUSA that a Nav update was available for their GLC Comand system? I was checking to see what the current Nav Version was and saw here:

https://mb.navigation.com/product-li...en_US/MBNA/USD that “MBUSA will reach out to Multi-Year Update Program customers when a map update is available for their vehicle.”

I had Ver. 11 installed in April during a recall service, but that happened because my Svc Advisor said they always check to see if your car has the current Nav version. Mine had V10 at the time.

Last edited by Vaboy; 10-26-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Never have been notified. I have to ask my SA for updates.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
No only does MB not notify you but the dealer does not know when the updates will be available. I had to keep checking back with the dealer to ask if the update had been issued. Pretty poor system if you want my opinion.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
I guess you'll have to do some research when it's coming time for you to get your yearly service to see what you need. As stated before, MB doesn't notify anyone of updates.
You need to check to see if one exists for your vehicle and ask for it at service time. They rarely volunteer to do these as they are time consuming.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 911
Yes, there's one. Takes 1.5 hours to do.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Porschenut911
Yes, there's one. Takes 1.5 hours to do.
Do you know the version number?
The bigger question I was wondering was.... has anyone actually been contacted by MBUSA that, “hey MB owner, there’s a new Navigation update available for your car.” Apparently that’s just marketing hype that they actually don’t do.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC
Anyway to find out what version, and how to get it? What years qualifies?
Old 10-29-2018, 11:43 PM

Porsche 911
Originally Posted by Vaboy

Do you know the version number?
The bigger question I was wondering was.... has anyone actually been contacted by MBUSA that, “hey MB owner, there’s a new Navigation update available for your car.” Apparently that’s just marketing hype that they actually don’t do.
No, I had mine in for service and they said there's an open recall.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC
Originally Posted by Porschenut911
No, I had mine in for service and they said there's an open recall.

recall to update the maps and command system?

do you have the repair invoice to see any tsb or info on it?

Old 10-29-2018, 11:56 PM

Porsche 911
Originally Posted by siren001

recall to update the maps and command system?

do you have the repair invoice to see any tsb or info on it?

Yes, open recall for command update, they said it freezed up on some owners. I have it in the office, I will look it up tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:43 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Just wondering if anyone has actually been notified by MBUSA that a Nav update was available for their GLC Comand system? I was checking to see what the current Nav Version was and saw here:

https://mb.navigation.com/product-li...en_US/MBNA/USD that “MBUSA will reach out to Multi-Year Update Program customers when a map update is available for their vehicle.”

I had Ver. 11 installed in April during a recall service, but that happened because my Svc Advisor said they always check to see if your car has the current Nav version. Mine had V10 at the time.

So, I called the number listed at the link you referenced above and spoke to a MB rep. He told me Ver. 11 is the latest version for the GLC, but I don't have too much confidence in his answer, quite frankly. I had to tell him what Version I presently had and I've had Ver. 11 since I took delivery back in Nov 2017. He said updates usually come out every 12-18 months and I asked if MB notifies me. He said they CAN, if I wanted to give him an email address, so I gave him the one that I use for the Mercedes Me app, etc. We'll see if any updates come through to that email or if just more marketing stuff from MB.

I'm also coming up on my 1 year service and will be sure to ask at that time, as well. The mystery continues and wish MB would update their tech in the GLC to handle both COMAND and Smartphone Integration, so one could just use the better phone (ACP/AA) nav. Oh well...
Old 10-30-2018, 10:56 PM

Thanks for the follow up, Chrisk. What’s odd is they ALREADY have every Owners email address and know what programs you’re enrolled in. I had lots of chances to continue my Concierge subscription and the WiFi hotspot as their expiration approached. Now that I think of it, what do you want to bet that as our 3 years of free Nav updates approaches its expiration we’ll be notified BY EMAIL asking us to continue it at whatever the going price is? Why can’t they do that now for updates?

Like you said, oh well!
Old 10-31-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
Thanks for the follow up, Chrisk. What’s odd is they ALREADY have every Owners email address and know what programs you’re enrolled in. I had lots of chances to continue my Concierge subscription and the WiFi hotspot as their expiration approached. Now that I think of it, what do you want to bet that as our 3 years of free Nav updates approaches its expiration we’ll be notified BY EMAIL asking us to continue it at whatever the going price is? Why can’t they do that now for updates?

Like you said, oh well!
Yeah, the kid I spoke with sounded like he was fresh out of college, so didn't give him a hard time about already having our email addresses. I've also worked for large organizations and you'd be surprised how internal systems may not talk to each other...ie. MBUSA may have your email, MercedesMe may also have, but marketing or update emails come from a different system and it doesn't get populated with your email. Or "sales" emails go out, but no "update" emails go out. Crazy and may not be the case here, but happens. Oh, I'm sure I will get 2 Nav updates at best and if I get a 3rd, it will probably come 2 days after year 3 and MB will want "X" dollars for it. It will also come with an offer like you insinuate..."get another 3 years of updates for $500, $250 less than our normal price, yada, yada". Ha. I'm already laughing at the MB webpage you linked to and it says the 3 year Nav updates are "valued at nearly $750"...yeah, $725 of it is because MB counts the "labor" involved at the dealer for doing it. Heck, just send me a thumb drive and I'll do it myself...and even send MB back the thumb drive if they want it.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:36 PM

In case anyone is wondering what the current Nav version is, mine was updated today while it was in for other service. No, I wasn’t notified by MBUSA that an update was available, but my SA says he always checks for updates. Doesn’t seem like a big deal to him, but if you don’t need to take your GLC in for service, you may never know an update’s available if you don’t know the current version number.

Map Version: N. America 2018/2019 V12
The following users liked this post:
George in KG (11-17-2018)