New member. Looking to buy GLC300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
New member. Looking to buy GLC300

Hi all!!

I just joined this forum to hopefully get better info to help in my decision to buy a GLC300. I've been looking for a used GLC (2017-2018) with decent mileage so I can have some time left on the warranty. As I look through the ads, I read the Carfax reports and it seems the MB's always seem to have their wipers changed when the visit the dealer for oil change, tire rotation, etc. Is there a problem with the wipers or is the dealer just looking for some extra bucks? I also understand the maintenance costs for MB are much higher than other cars. True? I guess they figure if you could afford a MB, you could afford their prices..
I noticed the cars for sale here in Florida for a 2017 - 2018 average $32,000 to 42,,000. Some a bit under and some a bit over but that seems to be the average. Any ideas where I could get a good deal?
I'm looking forward to any response and also looking forward to participating in this forum.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Mercedes factory recommended service interval is 10K Miles/1Yr - whichever comes first - and MB dealers have diligent and detailed service records which are uploaded to CarFax.

Certainly in Florida it is NOT uncommon to have wiper blades replaced every 1yr/2yr depending on the amount of sun exposure - asd a matter of fact their is a UV indicator/decal on one wiper exactly for this situation - so let's not get overly sensitive.

Are Mercedes more or less to service than another luxury European brand ? I certainly don't think so - and more and more Mercedes buyers are considering to buy Prepaid Maintenance as their way to control/budget service costs....

I would suggest you search more about Mercedes Certified - and understand the difference in benefits/warranty on Mercedes-Certified vrs non-Certified
Old 11-05-2018, 10:46 PM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I would suggest you search more about Mercedes Certified - and understand the difference in benefits/warranty on Mercedes-Certified vrs non-Certified
I bought mine CPO. It is working out well for me because it's 5-years unlimited mileage and I plan to put a huge number of miles on it.

As for maintenance, I am mostly skipping the dealers altogether and having a good independent Mercedes shop do it. He changes the oil every 7,500 miles - 10,000 is too long - at $86 a pop and other maintenance as needed.
The following users liked this post:
Dan1520 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 03:24 PM

GLC300
Thanks for the info
Old 11-08-2018, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Mercedes actually recommends changing the wipers twice a year, but most people only do them once at the yearly service.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
I'm coming up on my first service and based on what I've learned so far, maintenance costs on MB are even higher than other luxury European makes..."the best or nothing". My dealer quoted me $235 for A1 service and 10% discount if I'm a MB Car Club member...which I'm not, yet. So, call it $212, assuming I get the discount. Waiting to hear back from another local MB dealer, but I'd bet their price won't be much cheaper, if at all. I probably have 5 or so MB dealers in a 40 mile radius of me, but not going to call all of them for pricing. No way my first service on my prior BMW was that much...and for what amounts to really just an oil change and maybe wiper blade replacement.

That said, I'll probably do the dealer for service the first 3 years, so they will update the NAV system and I can have them look at any warranty issues. After that, I have a great MB indy shop close that will do the service I won't do myself.

As for "deals", that's kind of relative, but find a vehicle you are interested in and get to an all in number you want to pay, then shoot the dealer your offer. Scan the car pricing websites and get an idea what the vehicle is worth, as well. Oh, and probably better to make your offer towards end of month...or even better, end of year. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2018, 11:57 AM

GLC300
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably look for a good MB mechanic instead of the dealer. Reference to the wiper blades, I only mention it because as I review a car's history on Carfax, it seems the blades are always changed. As an old "car guy" ,having restored three classic cars (61 Ford Galaxie convertible, 66 Thunderbird convertible. 57 Thunderbird), I have wiper blades for years. Every now & then I clean the blades with a wet paper towel. As you clean them, you will note how the towel turns black. Keep cleaning and you should note the difference.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:56 AM

GLC
Agree that Mercedes service is more expensive than others, just the price of admission. I wouldn’t be worried about replacing the wipers. Mine is just a year old with 5300 miles, and flawless. No new wipers.

Last edited by carnutt; 11-25-2018 at 04:53 PM.