GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC dumb question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 03:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC300
GLC dumb question

I just purchased a 19 GLC. I like it a lot except the stop-start feature. From what I read so far, there is no way to disable it by default. So I think I have to accept it now.

A follow up question, when stop-start feature is active, the tachometer is at 0 (my previous BMW is at READY,). How do I confirm myself that I have stopped the engine before I leave the car ?
Old 12-02-2018, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 183 Likes on 150 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by GLC99
I just purchased a 19 GLC. I like it a lot except the stop-start feature. From what I read so far, there is no way to disable it by default. So I think I have to accept it now.

A follow up question, when stop-start feature is active, the tachometer is at 0 (my previous BMW is at READY,). How do I confirm myself that I have stopped the engine before I leave the car ?
When you open the door to exit the car the stop-start should be automatically disabled and the car will not restart.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:24 AM
flj

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC 300
There's a little green light, the letter A with a circle in the center panel of the dash board, whenever the feature is active.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
three ways to turn off start-stop

1. Press the button in the middle console to turn it off, or
2. Switch to S+ mode, or
3. Configure I mode to disable and use this instead
hope this helps
Old 12-02-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
What others have said, is correct...you can turn the start-stop feature off via a dash button or setting, BUT it will come back on every time you start the car and will have to turn off again. Only way around that is to buy one of the disabler modules that are out there to permanently disable start-stop every time you start the car.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension

When you put the transmission in PARK, the engine will start again.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:47 PM

GLC300
Thanks. I see. So as long as it's in P mode and tachometer is at 0. The engine is stopped.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:48 PM

GLC300
If the engine is on, and I use Keyless-Go. The side mirror won't fold automatically. I think this is enough for me to confirm that engine is stopped.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:49 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by Chrisk03
What others have said, is correct...you can turn the start-stop feature off via a dash button or setting, BUT it will come back on every time you start the car and will have to turn off again. Only way around that is to buy one of the disabler modules that are out there to permanently disable start-stop every time you start the car.
Fine. Thanks for your information.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Back to your original post about ECO start-stop - YES - it can be aftermarket reprogrammed - so that if you turn off your GLC with "ECO Off" when you restart your GLC ECO will be off for all driving profiles,, conversely if your turn off your GLC with "ECO Active" when you turn back on ECO will be active... MANY Mercedes owners prefer this type of reprogram for this feature.

The reporgramming plug-in module is like $145... use eBay link below BUT message Vladimir your VIN# FIRST to confirm compatibility and to ask Vladimir if there are other features he can do for you (additional cost) based on your VIN specs..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-ca...-n9S:rk:3:pf:0
The following users liked this post:
Chrisk03 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Why all this hatred for start/stop. I like it and think it's kinda cool; especially in rush hour traffic where you can be fully stopped for long periods of time.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Originally Posted by rustybear3
Why all this hatred for start/stop. I like it and think it's kinda cool; especially in rush hour traffic where you can be fully stopped for long periods of time.
I had a Prius v as my daily driver before the GLC, so I'm no stranger to an engine starting and stopping on a regular basis while driving. That being said, I find the implementation of start/stop on the GLC to be irritating and out of character with the premium nature of the vehicle. Every time the engine starts, the vehicle shakes. On the Prius, the engine starts smoothly. I blame the small, off-axis starter motor on the GLC. Once the new mild-hybrid powertrains (with the associated larger electric motors) are out, the experience may be better. Until then, I'll continue to turn start/stop off.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Well... nice comment ...BUT Eco-Start/Stop does not use the full power/speed/rotation of starter to start-back-up - it uses the fuel injection and the starter for a "quick" bump start ... as ECO start systems go - yes - you can feel the minor start up - on other brands like BMW it's a lot more dramatic on restart.... now on the new MB hybrids like CLS and 202- GLE that system is seamless..and a dream..
Old 12-03-2018, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by midesaka
I had a Prius v as my daily driver before the GLC, so I'm no stranger to an engine starting and stopping on a regular basis while driving. That being said, I find the implementation of start/stop on the GLC to be irritating and out of character with the premium nature of the vehicle. Every time the engine starts, the vehicle shakes. On the Prius, the engine starts smoothly. I blame the small, off-axis starter motor on the GLC. Once the new mild-hybrid powertrains (with the associated larger electric motors) are out, the experience may be better. Until then, I'll continue to turn start/stop off.
Yes, the 350e powertrain with the integrated motor/generator where the torque converter used to be restarts very smoothly. There's just only so much they can do with the regular starter system, and it infuriates me how rough they restart compared to how smooth the cars are othewise.

What I hate most about it is when you are stuck creeping in traffic, it will stop, restart, stop again, restart again every couple seconds if the conditions are right. Seems totally unnecessary, and not great for the system, coming from a mechanics view. I'd much rather have the engine stay running than shut down for 4 seconds. If it was gonna be off for 30 seconds or so I can accept it, but it's just too rough to come to a stop sign, have it die and restart almost immediately. That doesn't save anything at all.
The following 3 users liked this post by ItalianJoe1:
6G Schnell (12-04-2018), Chrisk03 (12-04-2018), PeteInGilroy (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
And this explanation is exactly why I bought the module to disable auto start/stop. I occasionally will re-enable start/stop if I am in a series of traffic lights, but I prefer to have it off when creeping along.

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Yes, the 350e powertrain with the integrated motor/generator where the torque converter used to be restarts very smoothly. There's just only so much they can do with the regular starter system, and it infuriates me how rough they restart compared to how smooth the cars are othewise.

What I hate most about it is when you are stuck creeping in traffic, it will stop, restart, stop again, restart again every couple seconds if the conditions are right. Seems totally unnecessary, and not great for the system, coming from a mechanics view. I'd much rather have the engine stay running than shut down for 4 seconds. If it was gonna be off for 30 seconds or so I can accept it, but it's just too rough to come to a stop sign, have it die and restart almost immediately. That doesn't save anything at all.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC RWD

Stopping the engine will save gas if idling for more than 7 seconds per the video linked above.

Regardless if you like the function or not, it should not default to on after shutting down the car. It should remember your setting like any other button. Personally I don't like because it shakes the car and it is noisy. Start-stop is much better implemented in a hybrid vehicle. Still I like to use start-stop under certain conditions because I know it saves gas. Usually I don't need it and hate when it starts-stops the engine when parking. I rather turn it on when needed.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:42 PM

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
GLC43, GTI, X3, Mazda3
It defaults to "on" every time, so MB can count it towards the .000001 of MPG savings per the EPA.

I'm not a fan either, per the other comments on abruptness, etc., so I almost always turn it off when I get in the car. I'll eventually get that contraption that turns it off permanently, but dont drive enough right now to bother.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:58 AM

GLC300
Originally Posted by George in KG
And this explanation is exactly why I bought the module to disable auto start/stop. I occasionally will re-enable start/stop if I am in a series of traffic lights, but I prefer to have it off when creeping along.
Is it easy to install this module ? Will this void the warranty by any means ?
Old 12-05-2018, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Module is EZ-PeeZee - follow the instructions - it plug's in to reprogram - when programing is complete - it comes back out - all to the good !
Old 12-06-2018, 01:05 AM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 GLC 300
My understanding of the main purpose of the auto start/stop featur is emission control, with fuel savings only a secondary benefit. Many cars idling at the same time, as in rush hour traffic, contribute substantially to overall pollution levels, which in turn can be cut down significantly if engines are turned off when waiting for stoplights, etc.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 GLC 300 4matic, 2021 BMW R1200GS
Is it easy to install this module ? Will this void the warranty by any means ?

Yes, easy install as fabbrisd1 explained. I should also mention that you can uninstall the hack in the same manner. You repeat the installation steps and the car will be reverted to stock configuration and (as far as I can tell) no one will realize you made a software modification. You can do the install/uninstall of the hack as many times as you want on a single vehicle. The VIN is burned into the module so it may be used with one vehicle only.
The following users liked this post:
Chrisk03 (12-06-2018)