GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

MBUX and wireless carplay and 2020 glc 300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 43 2020
Not at all. It works just like wired CarPlay, maybe 1 second of lag while switching songs. It takes around 30 seconds to 1 minute to connect with my phone though. I'm totally fine with it. With the wireless CarPlay, the wireless charging makes more sense now.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:07 PM

Well, I just checked my system Activation Options, and only Wired Apple Carplay is Unlimited Validity, and there is no Wireless Apple Carplay showing. NOTE: I just had a Safety Recall and I asked them to check for MBUX firmware updates. They said they didn't think there were any, but lo and behold there is. They said it took 3 hours for the download. The new version is apilevel/ntg6/080. So that's the latest as of December 29, 2020. My vehicle was built for me and delivered February, 2020.

So I don't know where the person on this Thread is getting the Wireless option from. Does anyone know. Is he outside of the US?
Old 01-05-2021, 01:44 PM

GLC 43 2020
Originally Posted by wsscott
Well, I just checked my system Activation Options, and only Wired Apple Carplay is Unlimited Validity, and there is no Wireless Apple Carplay showing. NOTE: I just had a Safety Recall and I asked them to check for MBUX firmware updates. They said they didn't think there were any, but lo and behold there is. They said it took 3 hours for the download. The new version is apilevel/ntg6/080. So that's the latest as of December 29, 2020. My vehicle was built for me and delivered February, 2020.

So I don't know where the person on this Thread is getting the Wireless option from. Does anyone know. Is he outside of the US?
you need a 3rd party adapter to make it wireless. Check out the Amazon link I mention above.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:50 PM

2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by bostonAm
I managed to make the latest generation of CPlay2Air adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wir...9723260&sr=8-2) work on my GLC 2020. You just need a USB Type C to Type A adapter to connect. The type C to type C cable doesn't work for me. It seems the old generation selling on their website have also supported the 2020 model now.
@bostonAm

I have the same vehicle, but wanted to clarify one thing. You said you purchased the CPlay2air adapter, but you linked to the Carlinkit adapter on Amazon. Which one did you purchase, and did you just buy a normal Type C to Type A adapter or did you buy a specific one from the Carlinkit or CPlay2air?

CPlay2air: https://cplay2air.com/products/cplay...r-link-feature

Carlinkit:
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-05-2021, 04:56 PM

GLC 43 2020
Originally Posted by Chris Fairchild
@bostonAm

I have the same vehicle, but wanted to clarify one thing. You said you purchased the CPlay2air adapter, but you linked to the Carlinkit adapter on Amazon. Which one did you purchase, and did you just buy a normal Type C to Type A adapter or did you buy a specific one from the Carlinkit or CPlay2air?

CPlay2air: https://cplay2air.com/products/cplay...r-link-feature

Carlinkit: https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wir...60&sr=8-2&th=1
Sorry about the confusion. I believe they belong to the same company. I got the carlinkit from amazon though. The usb type c adapter is just a normal one bought from Bestbuy.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:04 PM

2020 GLC 300
Originally Posted by bostonAm
Sorry about the confusion. I believe they belong to the same company. I got the carlinkit from amazon though. The usb type c adapter is just a normal one bought from Bestbuy.
Perfect, thanks for clarifying! I'm ordering now, fingers crossed.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC?
I have one question and would rather ask here than opening a new thread.
Planing to order Model 2020 - separate digital dash and central tablet ( as you know).

Can I use CarPlay maps(GM/Waze) on main tablet (central console) and still use built-in MBUX in the digital cockpit/dash at the same time?

Or it’s one or the other? Could I use both simultaneously on the two screens?

Old 01-13-2021, 09:19 AM

2020 GLC 300
From my experience on my USB CarPlay, if CarPlay is plugged in and it will be prioritized. That means if you select Nav on on MBUX, Apple Maps or Waze or whatever on iPhone will show instead of MBUX built-in map. The same goes with Media button, instead of MBUX media interface, it shows iPhone Music interface. Once I unplug CarPlay, MBUX interface kicks back in. You can't use both maps at the same time unless CarPlay is disengaged, then yes. I find CarPlay is useful because sometimes MBUX map freezes or inaccurate. Every time MBUX map is frozen for a couple of minutes, it reboots itself (just the map itself). Sometimes the MBUX map is just not working for a whole day due to either update is still in process or gone bad. The next day it should be fine again. MBUX map update usually happens at night time. The update is taken place wirelessly and you don't need to do anything.

Last edited by inthesky; 01-13-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:29 PM

GLC?
I saw one video on GLE where it's clearly seen built-in navi can be used on digital cockpit and CarPlay on the right screen simultaneously. Hope that would be the same with new GLCs, but anyway that's not so important.

Just want to let you know that my dealer informed me all new GLCs come hardware equipped with CarPlay/Android Auto and then if you want to - you can buy the software integration via Mercedes Me. What's nice is that at least in my market the Mercedes Me Smart Phone integration is 2 times cheaper than having it ordered, so that's some $$ saved.

I want to ask something else - I see some rumours that Wireless CarPlay should be available in all new GLC models. Also @Mick1113 has reported that with his photo, but seems like back then it wasn't yet allowed. I talked with the dealer regarding that and he mentioned that it's yet not available in any model except the new S class.

My questions is - if eventually wireless CarPlay becomes available in the GLCs and in case it's only software update required , do I need to have the 897 Inductive Wireless Charging & NFC Pairing added? Or in other words - does the wireless connection happen using the wireless charging pad ? What's the case with other car brands?

I don't really need the wireless charging , but if that would be a prerequisite for wireless CarPlay it's better to add it.

Old 07-30-2024, 03:39 AM

GLC300
Carplay

Originally Posted by bobcpa
I cannot find any confirmation in any of my searches, either on these forums or anywhere else on the internet. Can anyone confirm that wireless carplay is supported by the MBUX system on 2020 GLC 300.

mine GLC 300 2020 doesn’t have a plug in for car play. Is that normal??
Old 07-30-2024, 10:10 AM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2020 AMG GLC 43
You need to use the plug in the center console, next to the cup holders. The plugs under the armrest don't support car play. Also, check your phone settings to make sure car play is allowed when locked (General>Carplay>My Cars)