Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 05:12 AM
RCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 300
Groaning noise when coming to a complete stop

Hi there

Does anyone elses car 'groan' when braking to a complete stop completely, particularly when cold? It's not something I've experienced with a new vehicle before and I am wondering if I should get MB to take a look. It's a grinding/goraning like noise just as the vehicle stops completely - to be clear, it certainly isn't a squealing noise. I assume it's the brake pad rubbing on the rotor.

It's a brand new GLC300 - the noise feels like the brakes grabbing and it's worse when the vehicle is cold. Occasioanlly you get the noise when lifting off the brake to accelerate as well.

It's been disappointing that the car doesn't come to a smooth (and quiet) complete stop. Have done around 1,500kms now and tried 'bedding' in the pads a couple of times to no avail.

Just wondering if there is any solution to this problem.

Thanks

This isn't my car or video, but this is much the same noise:

Last edited by RCC; 06-02-2020 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,047 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
Id be at the dealership and sitting on the service managers till I get an answer
Old 07-18-2020, 01:02 PM

2020 GLC300
Did you ever get this resolved ? I think my car is doing the same - I have found that if I apply very light pressure to the break pedal it does not happen. Now that I pay attention to this when it does happen it is very annoying - in my case feels like the car wants to roll back even on flat surface. It could be that the electronic breaks or the start/stop system is about to kick in. I will swing by the dealer at some point, but would be nice to know if others had this, just in case they dismiss this as a non-issue
Old 07-18-2020, 11:14 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Wouldn't be worried, this is a common problem on the GLC
Old 07-19-2020, 03:00 PM

2020 GLC300
By common you mean the dealer will not do anything about it and call it a feature of the car
If I get any useful dealer info will post it here - also if anyone knows of a good thread on the subject please point me at it - part of the problem is that describing in words the noise that is made by the car is difficult.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:20 PM

19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Absolutely right c3004m. Strange why it happens in the first place. And its new, thats concerning. It usually happens in around 2 years. Maybe brake fluids low?
Old 07-19-2020, 03:44 PM

2020 GLC300
My thinking was that it might be related to the Hold, Start/Stop or the electronic Parking break features, but will make sure to check the break fluid level just to make sure and eliminate that as a possibility - the car was built in Jan. 2020 in Finland and I picked it up in May - about 3500 Km, most highway as a break in.
Coming from C300 and very much liked that car - wanted to try a SUV ( more and more snow each year ) and it was between this and a Mecan - when I test drove the Mecan I did not like the transmission noises, and here we go, I get my own set of new noises - life.

Trending Topics

Old 07-20-2020, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by c3004m
My thinking was that it might be related to the Hold, Start/Stop or the electronic Parking break features, but will make sure to check the break fluid level just to make sure and eliminate that as a possibility - the car was built in Jan. 2020 in Finland and I picked it up in May - about 3500 Km, most highway as a break in.
Coming from C300 and very much liked that car - wanted to try a SUV ( more and more snow each year ) and it was between this and a Mecan - when I test drove the Mecan I did not like the transmission noises, and here we go, I get my own set of new noises - life.
Absolutely right c3004m. Because of covid, you might have reduced the use of your car and brake fluid levels might be abnormally low.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:06 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
My wife complained about the brake groan as well, I took the vehicle hit the highway, hit 120-140km, and hit the brakes hard, come to an almost complete stop, and do it again, I think I did it 7 or 8 times, you want to warm them up real good, make sure no one is behind you, keep it safe...

wife has not complained since.

watch a few good YouTube vids on brake bedding and correct procedure and recommended times, I understand you said you bedded the brakes, I am just hoping it was done properly.

Some are saying low brake fluid levels.
I don’t understand why brake fluid levels would be low, if your losing brake fluid, there is a serious problem in your brake system, this you better get checked by the dealer or a competent mechanic, you should not be losing fluid anywhere....

Last edited by GateKeeper; 07-20-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:44 PM

2020 GLC300
Thanks for the info - I just checked the fluid level and it is fine. I did break-in the breaks. When I apply very light breaking pressure and come to a stop, no noise, if I apply more force I get the noise as the car is about to stop - it feels like the car is rolling back just a bit, but I suspect it just feels that way. I suspect the noise was there from the start, I just was not paying attention as most of the driving was highway and not many full stops - want to at least understand the issue.