GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

iOS 14 Bluetooth not working?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 01:01 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Too many to count
UPDATE: It's still not fixed. Apple just released iOS 14.2, which, among other things, says that it includes a patch for, “Audio is incorrectly labeled as “Not Playing” in the CarPlay Dashboard.” That sounds very similar to this issue albeit not involving CarPlay so I figured this update would fix it because it’s a similar category of issue. Once I updated, it started working again right away. After parking/turning off/leaving my car for over an hour it worked again when I came back. The next day it’s unfortunately back to not working again.

Last edited by Senatov; 11-09-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:54 AM

Too many to count
Another update: Last week I upgraded my iPhone 11 Pro Max to the new iPhone 12 Pro Max, and that fixed the issue for a few days. I got the phone on Friday, and it worked again on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. This morning the issue is back. That is really weird. It's the same software version (iOS 14.2) and obviously the same software in the car. Perhaps the iPhone 12 Pro Max has a different Bluetooth radio or firmware that doesn't cause the problem? In any event, why did it work again like normal for the first 3 days with a new phone, and then start being a problem again thereafter? This is so weird and frustrating and doesn't make a lot of sense from a technical standpoint why this is happening the way that it is happening.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:00 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic
Bluetooth

did apple ever get back to you with their response on the issue?

Originally Posted by Senatov
Another update: Last week I upgraded my iPhone 11 Pro Max to the new iPhone 12Pro Max, and that fixed the issue for a few days. I got the phone on Friday, and it worked again on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. This morning the issue is back. That is really weird. It's the same software version (iOS 14.2) and obviously the same software in the car. Perhaps the iPhone 12 Pro Max has a different Bluetooth radio or firmware that doesn't cause the problem? In any event, why did it work again like normal for the first 3 days with a new phone, and then start being a problem again thereafter? This is so weird and frustrating and doesn't make a lot of sense from a technical standpoint why this is happening the way that it is happening.
Old 11-16-2020, 11:07 AM

Too many to count
Originally Posted by GLK63AMG
They called up and had me install some profile on my phone and then get in the car and recreate the issue. They said the profile would log the diagnostic information of what was happening so they could fix it. I think they called me back one day when I was in a meeting and couldn't answer and I don't think they ever called again. I will try to call them with my Case ID and see if there is an update. I did notice that in iOS 14.2 however there was a note about fixing a bluetooth issue with CarPlay showing a music player was paused, which seemed similar, but apparently did not fix this issue.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Too many to count
Originally Posted by GLK63AMG
Ok so I just called Apple and Mercedes. Apple said that engineering reviewed the diagnostics they collected from me, and totally unsurprisingly given the bureaucratic hell of corporate America, said that it's a problem on Mercedes' end and that it's working the right way, and that Mercedes needs to update their technology. MBUSA told me before that there would be an update before the end of the year, so I called the dealership to see if they had an update out and they said the update I got when I brought the car in for this in September is still the most recent version. So unfortunately it seems we're still stuck with this problem. I could activate CarPlay which would probably fix the problem in a sense, but I wish it worked the regular way.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:11 PM

Too many to count
Alright I finally figured out where exactly the issue is. It has to do with the Apple Watch. If you get into the car with an Apple Watch connected to your phone, you’re gonna get this issue. If your turn off/disconnect/remove the Apple Watch from the situation and then get in the car, or just don’t have one, it will work fine. Or if you turn the watch on after turning the car on it will work fine. Through testing, it’s become clear that having an Apple Watch connected to an iPhone on iOS 14, and then getting in a pre-MBUX Mercedes to which the phone is paired, will cause this issue. Apple has to fix the software or Mercedes has to update it on their end.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:03 AM

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
2020 GLC 300 SUV 4Matic
After buying an iPhone 12 Pro Max, I unpaired my previous phone - then added new phone via pairing process. After re-signing back onto Mercedes Me app - my contacts were imported.

My 2020 GLC not having issues with my Apple Watch.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:08 AM

Too many to count
Originally Posted by Wxchaser
After buying an iPhone 12 Pro Max, I unpaired my previous phone - then added new phone via pairing process. After re-signing back onto Mercedes Me app - my contacts were imported.

My 2020 GLC not having issues with my Apple Watch.
The 2020 doesn’t have the problem, it’s the non-MBUX Mercedes that have the problem.
The following users liked this post:
Wxchaser (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 10:15 AM

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
2020 GLC 300 SUV 4Matic
Originally Posted by Senatov
The 2020 doesn’t have the problem, it’s the non-MBUX Mercedes that have the problem.
Right I read your post about that & understand.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:02 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
2018 GLC 43 & 2014 SLK 350, gone 2016 E63 Wagon
I have a 2018 GLC43 and have not encountered any problems with bluetooth after upgrading my iPhoneX to IOS 14.2. I also have an I watch 3 which I wear most of the time. It does not appear to interfere with the bluetooth connection from my phone to the car. Spotify works perfectly every time for me. The bluetooth connection also works in our 2014 SLK350.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC300
I have similar issues with iPhone 11 Pro on iOS14.3. I drive an MY2018 GLC300. It seems to connect to the phone, but the music plays through the phone instead of the speakers. Also, the phone goes crazy with play/pause on its end.
The phone connection for calls is also extremely unreliable. I found that it's best to start the call before starting the car for the system to maintain the connection. The calling issues (both incoming and outgoing) started about 6 months ago, still on iOS13. Usually, whenever I get an incoming call, the whole Bluetooth functionality in COMAND would crash and won't restore until the car has been parked for a while. A quick COMAND on/off doesn't do anything, but sometimes it would reconnect on its own out of the blue. The further it gets, the worse the connection becomes. The car was last serviced at the end of August.
I really dread going to the dealer because they make me sound like I'm making stuff up lol
Old 01-07-2021, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
To be helpful - please follow this process to give you a clean slate to start from:

1. Disconnect iPhone from CarPlay

2. On your COMAND - Delete your iPhone Bluetooth profile (and any of your older iPhone profiles if left over from earlier pairing)

3. After Profile(s) Delete - turn COMAND - OFF

4. On your iPhone - Delete your MB Bluetooth Profile (and any older MB profiles)

5. After MB Profile(s) Delete - turn iPhone - OFF

6. Turn COMAND - On

7. Turn iPhone - On (do NOT connect Carplay yet)

8. With COMAND ON - iPhone ON - do fresh Bluetooth pairing.

9 With fresh pairing done - you can reconnect CarPlay
Old 01-07-2021, 04:54 AM

2018 GLC300
Thank you! I'll give it a try tomorrow
Old 01-19-2021, 03:44 PM

Any luck? I have a similar problem but its just with CarPlay connected via wired connection on 2020 GLC 300. Sometimes it starts right up, and sometimes it says its not connected when in fact its plugged in and CarPlay screen started on the iPhone. I can't figure it out.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:01 PM

2017 C63S AMG
I’m having the same issue with 2017 c63s. The music will work via Blutooth. But every time I get a phone call, I can answer with steering wheel but then I have to switch it to the normal speakerphone on my phone for anyone to hear me.

It’s super annoying. It will randomly work every once in awhile. I have unpaired and forgotten device and that didn’t work.

I was trying to figure out if it was my phone or the car when I stumbled across this thread.