GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC 2020 vs GLC Coupe 2020

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC?
GLC 2020 vs GLC Coupe 2020

Hey guys, I’m in the process of getting something bigger to replace one of our two small city cars.

Both models are the new facelifts.
Price-wise we decided to look for the GLC class - SUV and Coupe.
Price is quite similar , just 2-3% more for the GLC Coupe. Also currently there is 12% off promo and that’s a great deal.

I hope I might get some owners recommendations here which one of the two would suit me best.
We are currently young family of two, with hopefully kids on the way soon. Gotta say we are tall , 1,80m and 1,87m and we prefer comfort ride.
Roads here are usually in bad condition so sport suspension is probably not a good idea.

We really liked the Coupe, I know all the mixed opinions on the exterior, I also don’t really like the rear and that small rear-view window visibility, but all the rest is nice.
Another thing is that Coupe has higher resale value and we don't really plan to keep the car after lease is over. Probably return it and go for GLE SUV after 4-5 years.

Regarding test driving - I was able to try only GLC Coupe 300 petrol, unfortunately and it’s a shame dealership doesn’t even have GLC SUV for test drive and I cannot compare.

For the SUV only downside I see is that I much prefer the exterior of the Coupe.
Pros / Cons of the Coupe:

+ exterior is nice
+ resale value is higher than SUV
- rear window
- stiff suspension
- boot space and child seats? ( that thing worries me most)

I know that SUV is the correct choice if child is on the way, but I wanted both of us to drive something that we will feel good in, before entering the SUV/practicality world.
Would I hate the Coupe when we have a kid in a year or two? I guess it would be hard to fit anything besides stroller in the boot ?
Actually not sure how much better would the SUV be with it's extra 50litres?

P.S. I don't really like talking in advance for things that didn't happen yet ( especially kids), but I just try to think in perspective.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:51 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic OffRoad
Go for it. I do not have coupe. But it should have a lot room if fold down the 2nd row.

btw rear window should be a plus for Coupe IMO.

Check out BMW as well, I found the X3 M40i is very decent after bought my 20 GLC.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:23 AM

GLC?
Originally Posted by abacnus
Go for it. I do not have coupe. But it should have a lot room if fold down the 2nd row.

btw rear window should be a plus for Coupe IMO.

Check out BMW as well, I found the X3 M40i is very decent after bought my 20 GLC.
What are your experiences with the GLC SUV? Would you swap it for Coupe if you can go back ?

Actually I wanted to write about other options, but post would be too long. We did consider X3 , actually it was our first choice, but as far as I know suspension is even stiffer there.
Also we didn't really like the interior of the bimmer and Benz's seats felt a bit more comfortable. Probably I could go for a test ride, but I don't think it would win us.
Another thing is that facelift model is coming later in the year and I don't see any point ordering a 2017 model.
Probably the facelift 2021 will be great option, but it's too much wait.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:17 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4Matic OffRoad
I am pretty happy with my 20 GLC. I waited for over 3 months for the delivery of the car back in 2019 as one of earliest owners of the facelift 2020 model.

Do not let the look misleading you though, it is pretty stiff Mercedes. The most fun place is driver seat, not other seats. My passengers would complain from time to time. But that is what I want to have fun on driving. I have sport/night package with 19 inch tires.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:29 PM

GLC?
Originally Posted by abacnus
I am pretty happy with my 20 GLC. I waited for over 3 months for the delivery of the car back in 2019 as one of earliest owners of the facelift 2020 model.

Do not let the look misleading you though, it is pretty stiff Mercedes. The most fun place is driver seat, not other seats. My passengers would complain from time to time. But that is what I want to have fun on driving. I have sport/night package with 19 inch tires.
Thanks! Oh yes, I forgot to mention - AMG exterior package will be applied to both whatever I choose - either SUV or Coupe.

Just one thing I cannot decide is if I should go for the adaptive dampers - part of the Dynamic Body Control suspension, we have this option here in Europe. It is not air body control, but still you can regulate the dampers. I felt the sport suspension a bit harsh and stiff.

@abacnus Were you able to test drive the diesels? I am also leaning towards petrol 300 as I think 200 is underpowered. Reason is mainly due to city driving, I don't really won't to clog the DPF having only rare city getaways.
And what made you choose the SUV over the Coupe? Would be happy to hear owner's thoughts.

Last edited by gichka; 01-05-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
2019 GLC 300 - Coupe
I bought the '19 300 Coupe w/Night Package. The mixed reviews on the look didnt bother me since I was the one driving/paying for it and I absolutely love the look of it. And to be honest - you wouldnt believe how many compliments the car gets out on the street.

There are tons of SUV's here - but not as many Coupes on the road which is another reason I loved it - I like being a little different than the masses. My dealer didnt have a Coupe on the lot as they couldnt keep them in stock based on the demand - so I purchased based on sitting in one at the Toronto AutoShow. It took 6 months from order to delivery back in 2018.

Visibility is slightly obstructed - but once you get used to the car - with all of the sensors and cameras - its really not that big of a deal. (*im 6'2" and a motorcycle rider so I do head checks by natural instinct)

I cant comment on the ride quality as I was coming from a '13 Genesis Coupe R-Spec. It was a very rigid ride and getting into this - even with 20" runflats - was like riding on a cloud. We didnt get the option of Air Suspension.

Im a single guy - so again - cant comment on fitting a stroller in the boot - but I have had 6ft people in the back seat. Its not the best for head room - but they werent uncomfortable.

Enjoy your new ride whichever way you decide!
Old 01-05-2021, 08:12 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
Originally Posted by gichka
Thanks! Oh yes, I forgot to mention - AMG exterior package will be applied to both whatever I choose - either SUV or Coupe.

Just one thing I cannot decide is if I should go for the adaptive dampers - part of the Dynamic Body Control suspension, we have this option here in Europe. It is not air body control, but still you can regulate the dampers. I felt the sport suspension a bit harsh and stiff.

@abacnus Were you able to test drive the diesels? I am also leaning towards petrol 300 as I think 200 is underpowered. Reason is mainly due to city driving, I don't really won't to clog the DPF having only rare city getaways.
And what made you choose the SUV over the Coupe? Would be happy to hear owner's thoughts.
I picked the SUV 300 4M just because it makes more sense. More practicality definitely makes the SUV a good deal. If you like the coupe, go ahead, but check out a C-Class too if you are ok with the smaller storage.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:33 PM

GLC?
Thanks guys!
Emotional decision would be Coupe, but if child comes year later I might hate that decision. Still I think we can manage.

Anyway even the SUV might be tight with the extra 50l so naturally we might go to GLE later on. While the vice versa SUV to Coupe is definitely not possible.

In the summer we actually drove ~ 1200 km in GLC Coupe 300. We were four people and I gotta say at no point I felt cramped. I was even at the rear most time. Also boot was enough for two couples.

@ParjAS C class is nice and I would go for sedan, but we are looking for something with better ground clearance. So I guess Coupe gets best of both - pumped up sedan.

If it wasn’t the low clearance I would have gone for E class sedan, definitely. But roads are not good, a lot of potholes and that low ground clearance just won’t be good.

Any experience with diesels, especially 220d? I don’t consider 300d. Should I go for it with mostly city driving ? It is also cost savings compared to 300petrol, 4000eur difference. It will be one of those two.

Last edited by gichka; 01-06-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic

Any experience with diesels, especially 220d? I don’t consider 300d. Should I go for it with mostly city driving ? It is also cost savings compared to 300petrol, 4000eur difference. It will be one of those two.
Why not 300d?
Diesel for mostly city driving may not be the best option.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:02 PM

GLC?
Originally Posted by decorily
Why not 300d?
Diesel for mostly city driving may not be the best option.
300d is almost same price as 300 petrol.If I have to decide between those two it would be the petrol due to the city driving.

I mentioned 220d instead of 300d as I think the cheaper diesel would provide enough power unlike the 200 petrol engine. Of course I might be wrong.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:36 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
19 GLC300 4M (lunar blue/black/black ash aluminum),17 GLE350 4M (selenite grey/ espresso/eucalyptus)
300d is almost same price as 300 petrol.If I have to decide between those two it would be the petrol due to the city driving.

I mentioned 220d instead of 300d as I think the cheaper diesel would provide enough power unlike the 200 petrol engine. Of course I might be wrong.
Get the 300. Probably best for you and city driving.