GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Advice for someone who has just got their first GLC 250D

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C63 2009 and X253 250D 2015
Advice for someone who has just got their first GLC 250D

G'day everyone. Just got my wife a 2015 GLC 250D with about 98k on the clock she didn't know we were getting so was almost in tears when I gave her the keys

Only got it licenced today I'm in WA and it came over from NSW so just really being able to drive it today. Very happy with it but some questions I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.

When pull up at a stop sign or traffic light the engine seems to shudder as I'm just about to stop and then it's fine. I've never had a diesel before, does this seems normal? I tried it in 1st gear and it does the same thing, so I don't think it's transmission related, I'm just not sure if it's just the way they are.

Next, the codes for the car seem to indicate that it has sensor for the boot to open 871 SENSORS FOR TRUNK LID OPENING/CLOSING but for the life of me I cant seem to get it to work? Any tips please?

Finally we have the head up display, but it doesn't indicate traffic speed signs, the videos I've watched seem to show this, is it something to do with the maps or do the cameras read the signs?

The car has a 2 year MB warranty, anything in particular I should be mindful of?

I'm sure I'll have more, thanks in advance, appreciate the advice, cheers.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Firstly Big Congratulations.
Not sure re shudder when about to stop, could be several factors, is drive select in Comfort or in Sports or Sports + ? Car behaves very differently in those last settings.
Could also be stop start kicking in and out, can vary depending on brake pressure on pedal, but usually a only when stopped. See how that goes.
Not knowing history of car and if it was a short tripper or a longer drive one there may be some build up odd deposits in injectors. Buy a bottle of heavy duty Nulon diesel fuel system cleaner and then fill with good diesel, like BP Vortex, 2 cents dearer than truck diesel.
2 or 3 tanks of fuel later I would do the same, that is fill fuel tank with Nulon DPF cleaner and run that, do not mix with fuel injector cleaner.
Another issue, minor though is the cars battery could be low on charge, depends on storage, travel, etc. Buy a Ctek 5.0 battery charger around $99 on special at Repco and put battery on charge for 24 hours, use AGM setting on battery to charge it at correct rate. Positive terminal passenger side under red slide and negative terminal on passenger side , copper round nit towards front headlight.
Check TYRE pressures when cold are at around 36-38psi, even though fuel lid says 32psi. Better TYRE wear and handling.
Check what tyres fitted, run flat simmer ? Or run flat all season M&S, like Goodyear Eagles.
Ask Dealer if car has had front steering knuckles replaced, not a recall in Oz, but hundreds done and thousands done in RHD in UK. Get it done under warranty ($4000 if you pay).
Boot opening sensor a bit hit and miss, do you have tow bar fitted ?
Heads up works fine, Aussie ADR design has it traffic sign data disabled in Oz as no common design type across nation. None of ours have it - few feature in Oz are disabled.
Ask for a printed history of service , can generate one at dealer for all services.
Check if 5 year auto and transmission service undertaken, this is around $1500-$2000 - if not it needs to be done, Dealer should have done it as part of factory guidance. Brake fluid every 2 years, Panna sunroof service every 3 years ?
get a reading of front and rear disc wear, can be soft and adaptive cruise can wear brakes out sooner, but great feature I am happy to pay for brake usage.
This is a good Aussie site too - https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/9xw76563?p=246

Best of luck, great car.
Happy to PM or talk on mobile / email in future if you have questions.
The following users liked this post:
Aussiechappy (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 09:06 AM

@Teckno Mate, thanks very much greatly appreciated.

I'll use the heavy duty Nulon diesel fuel system cleaner when next fill is required, only done about 50kms since getting it so far. Then 2 -3 tanks later use the Nulon DPF cleaner, cheers

Will get the charger, this was also a concern of mine as I'm sure it's been sitting in the yard for a while before I got it, then it was a month from purchasing until getting it, it really needs a good run so I'll go for a decent spin during the week hopefully.

Tyres... when it arrived the 2 front tyres (run flats) were completely worn out, one down to the canvas, the dealership has now said they will reimburse me for these 2, I have no run flat tyres, and no spare lol !! (only funny till there is an issue)

Will get the printed service history, the books didn't come with it, even though it was sold to me by a MB dealership, they have sent me a list of the services but it is 1 line saying when they were done and non-descriptive, and will find out about the front steering knuckles, would these be a MB warranty item do you think?, thanks.

It came with a 2 year MB warranty, that gave me reassurance to buy it from the other side of the country without driving it first, however the service assist says A7 service due in 35 days, ( which I think means trans service also right?) They have told me the service has been done and that the mechanic must have not reset it, I'll get confirmation that the A7 service has been completed.

All good about the Heads up, just a shame really, and I'll check with the service centre about the boot opening sensor, there isn't a tow bar.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and your advice.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
There is a Russian site that if you enter VIN, it will provide a 5 page build state with numbers and descriptors. Alternatively visit your local ask for a data print and it will do same, handy to have.
On MB web site there is an option to download the full owners manual, about 100 pages extra than printed edition. I believe Dealership should have ordered a MB car folder and printed manual, with supporting addendums to be placed in the car for you, via their Spare Parts Dept.
Ask for a print out from selling dealer of latest wheel align settings.
Steering Knuckle issue is a full warranty issue, with free wheel align.
Have car assessed by local Dealer there for them to submit warranty claim to HQ - better to do before new tyres fitted.
When approved, get new tyres, have knuckles changed over and have wheel align done with new tyres and knuckles fitted.
Have your local MB Dealer inspect car to see if auto transmission service done - can tell by new parts under car and service record, they can reset service warning.
Goodyear All Season run flats harder ride but better wear rate. If you want performance , good ride then summer Michelin Latitude 3 are good, but no spare, no foam fill kit. Will need jack, emergency rim kit for around $1000 from Spare Dept, or get second hand TYRE/rim from another model, AMG front brakes and rim may interfere with some non model rims.
The selling dealer should have installed all current Service Level updates for auto, engine ECU, etc. This should be recorded on documents, Your local Dealer might be able to confirm via an OBD11 connection and analysis.
I also put in engine oil at change a 300ml bottle of friction modifier like Liqi Moly, from likes of Super Cheap. Read instructions, the Nulon bottle treats 16l, you only need to treat 6L.
Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Aussiechappy (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 05:03 PM

Fantastic, thanks @Teckno
Have already got a print of of the print state with numbers and descriptors Have attached below for interest, really missing Command System with Burmeister, memory seats, AMG line (they are the things I wish it had but don't) but still very happy with my purchase
I had to get the front tyres done already as it wouldn't have passed inspection as they were, and I was told there were no run flat's available by my tyre guy, who I've used many times and do trust. They have only been on since Thursday so I'll get to MB Dealer asap to have it assessed re the Steering Knuckle.

Great to hear its a warranty issue, do they often kick back on warranty items, or are they quite agreeable regarding getting them sorted?

When I bought my C63 in for it's first service, bought pre-owned through MB, they hit me up for a list as long as your arm for items, for thousands and thousands worth of issues, and then when I asked about the warranty they seemed dumb founded. It hadn't been lodged correctly, so they had to do most of everything they had said under warranty. I feel they wouldn't have come back to me with so much wrong if they knew it was under warranty. What are your thoughts?

Will also get the info re the transmission service, but also ask the original selling dealer confirm that it has been been as per the service requirements, as they have told me.

I've not ever used any additives like Nulon on any vehicle previously, but from what I've read since you recommended, they really look like the way to go.

Also I have the Audio 20 system (might get an after market android system put in later, any reccomendations?) Does the linguatronic system even actually do anything? Just gives me a language not supported warning, I don't use it in the W204, just interested. And is that NGT 5.0 possibly to upgradable to later version?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Specs & Equipment

Identification and technical specifications (as received from the manufacturer)

MAKE

Mercedes-Benz

MODEL

GLC

PRODUCTION YEAR

ENGINE

2.1 l

TRANSMISSION TYPE

Automatic

DRIVE TYPE

AWD

ENGINE DESCRIPTION

OM651

DESTINATION MARKET

EUROPE

ENGINE CODE

Equipment (as received from the manufacturer)

CODE

DESCRIPTION

CODE

DESCRIPTION

LEFT FRONT SEAT, ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE

RIGHT FRONT SEAT, ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE

AUTONOMOUS INT. CRUISE CONT. PLUS (DISTRONIC PLUS)

ACTIVE PARK ASSIST

ACTIVE BLIND SPOT ASSIST

ACTIVE LANE KEEPING ASSIST (FAP)

INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR MIRROR,AUTOMATICALLY DIMMING

REAR-END COLLISION WARNING AND PROTECTION SYSTEM

DISTRONIC PLUS CROSS SUPPORT (DTR+Q)

EXPANDED BRAKE ASSIST (BAS+)

BRAKE ASSIST PLUS CROSS TRAFFIC (BAS+Q)

GPS ANTENNA

AUTONOMOUS BRAKE INTERVENTION/WARN. FOR PED. PROT.

TELEPHONE ANTENNA

SIDEBAG IN REAR LEFT AND RIGHT

KNEE AIRBAG

PRESAFE

COLLISION MINIMIZATION BRAKE INTERV./WARNING (CMS)

CUP HOLDER

RAIN SENSOR

PREINSTALLATION FOR NAVIGATION RETROFITTING

SD CARD NAVIGATION

PANORAMIC SLIDING SUNROOF/GLASS SUNROOF

9-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

TOUCHPAD WITH ROTARY PUSHBUTTON

FRONT VIEW DISPLAY (HEAD-UP DISPLAY)

DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER

TIRE PRESSURE LOSS WARNER

(COMFORT RUNNING GEAR)

ELECTRIC FOLDING OUTSIDE MIRROR

AUDIO 20 RADIO NAVIGATION CAPABLE NTG5

DIGITAL RADIO STANDARD DAB (DIGI. AUDIO BROADC.)

PREINSTALLATION FOR TRAILER HITCH

AIR CONDITIONER

AMBIENT ILLUMINATION

VERSION FOR AUSTRALIA

AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM SWITCH PLUS (IHC+)

DYNAMIC LED HEADLAMPS, LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC

PRODUCT PROT. F FREIGHT PACKAG. W TIE-DOWN HOOKS

TRUNK COVERING

CHROME LOOK ROOF RAILING

TRIM PIECES - WOOD ASH BLACK

AEJ 25/1

CD SINGLE DRIVE

DARK TINTED GLASS

SCUFF PLATE IN ALU-APPEARANCE WITH RUBBER STUDS

SENSORS FOR TRUNK LID OPENING/CLOSING

INTERIOR LIGHT ASSEMBLY

AMBIENCE ILLUMINATION

LOCKABLE LOADING FLOOR

KEYLESS - GO

AUTOMATIC REAR-END DOOR

KEYLESS START

EXTERIOR CHROME PACKAGE

AIR-CONDITIONING SYSTEM FOR HOT COUNTRIES

FUEL TANK WITH LARGE VOLUME - VOLUME 1

AIRCON COOLING POWER PACKAGE

EURO 6 TECHNOLOGY EXHAUST GAS CLEANING

IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD

05B

OPERATORS MANUAL AND SERVICE BOOKLET ENGLISH

0V3

SPEED- + LOADINDEX 101W

1A6

4-CYL. DIESEL CONVERTER

20A

EHS GENERATION

220A

LEATHER

221A

LEATHER - BLACK/ANTHRACITE

23P

DRIVING PACKAGE

251B

DIGITAL SERVICE BOOKLET

2A2

CONVERTER VERSION 3

30P

COMPARTMENT PACKAGE

335B

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER/HU LANGUAGE - ENGLISH

3A7

ASSEMBLY, ACTUATORS (THREE WHEELS)

3U1

EUROPE/CIS COUNTRIES/MONGOLIA HEAD UNIT

41R

LIGHT ALLOY WHEEL 5 DBL-SPOKE DESIGN 20" ALL-ROUND

51A

TORQUE DISTRIBUTION 31/69

51U

BLACK FABRIC ROOF INTERIOR TRIM

5A1

ELECTROHYDRAULIC CONTROLLER UNIT-CONVERTER

5P6

CONTROL CODE MARKETING

6A2

JOINT FLANGE W/ GW 110 / 3, 3-ARM X 110

775U

IRIDIUM SILVER - METALLIC FINISH

7A1

DIFFERENT LENGTH OF TORQUE CONVERTER HOUSING

806 *1

651.9__ 20120720 AEJ 25/1

806 *2

253____ 20111202 YOM 15/1

8U7

REAR SEAT BELT WITH BELT FORCE LIMITER AND SOFTST.

901L

AUSTRALIA ASSOCIATION

9XXL

AUSTRALIA / PACIFIC

A030

OIL OFFSET QUANTITY +300GR OIL

A09

CO2 OFFENSIVE

A11

ALTERNATIVE INJECTION

B03

DIRECT START / ECO START/STOP FUNCTION

B59

TRANSMISSION MODE SELECTOR LEVER (AGILITY SELECT)

F253

MODEL SERIES 253

FX

SPECIAL VERSION

G041

TRANSMISSION CODE VERSION 41

GA

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

GA7

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

HA

REAR AXLE