GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

Adding Apple Carplay to GLC300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLC 300
Question Adding Apple Carplay to GLC300

I would like to add Apple Carplay to my 2018 GLC300. It did not come with the smartphone integration package. My question is, can I buy a head unit of another 2018 GLC300 that had the option from ebay or should I be looking for other hardware as well?
Old 04-27-2021, 01:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC300 Coupe
I'm looking to buy this unit from
AMAZON AMAZON
I have GLC300 with NAV
531 COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5

Last edited by _MyK_; 04-27-2021 at 02:03 PM. Reason: added unit
Old 05-05-2021, 05:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'17 GLC43
Originally Posted by _MyK_
I'm looking to buy this unit from AMAZON
I have GLC300 with NAV
531 COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5
I was looking at something similar too. I'm still not clear if you have to install an extra mic or not.

Edit: I heard back from the company and they say it works with the mics already in the car. I should be receiving the unit in about a week and I'll take it to the shop to get it installed, even though it seems somewhat simple, all plug and play.

Last edited by jolugo; 05-06-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:31 AM

GLC300 Coupe
I should receive it soon. I'll update you on what needs to be done during instalation
Old 05-19-2021, 03:33 PM

GLC300 Coupe
Installation was easy, just plug&play. Just found one issue, buttons to receive and decline phone call doesn't work. I'm working with the support team to solve this issue
The following 2 users liked this post by _MyK_:
ATXS55 (05-11-2022), Snowii (02-02-2022)
Old 05-19-2021, 08:28 PM

'17 GLC43
I also installed mine. Everything seemed to work out of the box, however, I’d like to mention what Im experiencing:
  • Like people mentioned in other threads, I had to forget the MB Bluetooth from my phone (EDIT: I've switched back to using the MB Bluetooth, the only caveat is that when making a call, you have to choose it as the output from your phone, kinda awkward but works much better. You can also make it the default call audio in the accessibility settings)
  • During a phone call, the other side could hear themselves. I’ve been messing around with an option called AEC (I’m guessing its echo cancellation) and the mic levels in the settings and seemed to be much better.
  • There is a high pitch sound (ground) when the car is running. I used a loop isolator before the USB aux cable and that seemed to fixed it.
  • I had to mess with the reverse camera settings, otherwise the front video wouldn’t show when going from park to drive.
  • I've been having a hard time to set the EQ and Loud levels, I think I got it down now but its been taking some time messing with it.
  • I've seen twice now that my phone would display the CarPlay screen while Im sitting in my living room about 30 min after arriving home, so its connecting to the car while Im not in it, only for a second or two. Probably the car just going to sleep but I’ll keep a closer look, I don’t want the battery to die. (EDIT: This is an issue if you are listening music or on a call, the phone will try to rout the audio to the carplay even though the car is off in the garage. It will only be for a second or so, but enough to be very disrupting. You can turn off the bluetooth so carplay is not discoverable for those 30-45 min that it takes to go to sleep)
  • I haven’t figured out how to adjust the volume of the voice directions while in navigation, they are a bit to quiet for my taste. I tried the volume but that also changes the music.
  • It's a bit cumbersome to use the controls, the knob and touchpad, takes a bit of practice I guess…
  • I wish there was a better documentation on what all the settings do, some are not self explanatory.
All little annoying things that I didn't think I had to deal with haha

Last edited by jolugo; 06-16-2021 at 07:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Snowii (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43
gents, how has the experience been after using this for half a year +? could you please share?
thank you!
Old 02-02-2022, 11:37 AM

'17 GLC43
Originally Posted by Snowii
gents, how has the experience been after using this for half a year +? could you please share?
thank you!
For the price, its definitely worth it. I've had a few issues/annoyances, but so far it still works, and I wont have to buy the map update from MB.

-All of the sudden CarPlay would disconnect when going under 10mph (or so, cant remember the exact number). I contacted the vendor and they gave me a firmware update, it didn't fix the issue. Then they told me to turn on a setting that ignores the state of the 365 cameras. That was a good workaround. The system somehow fixed itself, after a few weeks, I changed the setting back and its been working since, as it should.
-The USB to Aux adapter doesn't work sometimes, I've noticed it happens during the day when around town, when you stop for a couple of hours, and get back to driving. The solution so far is to unplug it, wait a few seconds and plug it back in. Most of the time it works fine in the morning.
-The phone will connect to CarPlay for a second and drop after you've turned off the car completely, this will continue to happen for a few hours. This is very annoying, especially if your garage is close enough where your phone is within reach and you are in a phone call or listening to music, it will interrupt and try to move it to the car and back.

There are random crashes here and there, but I will blame it on the app/CarPlay, Im sure the same thing would happen in an OEM system.
Snowii (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 01:09 PM

GLC300 Coupe
It's definitely worth the money!
Support is very helpful and willing to fix all issues.
You have to play with settings to remove echo but after that everything goes smooth.
Few minor cons
  • iPhone still connects to CarPlay till you lock a car even car is off.
  • The sound volume from EOM radio is much louder than from CarPlay and you have to adjust every time when you switch
  • You can't see any numbers when you adjust the heater or a/c unit (that's why we have to switch to a radio
Major cons:
  • CarPlay working like EOM 99.9%
  • Don't need to use Mercedes navigation (it's sucks)
  • Working like charm with wireless charger (drop iPhone on the charger and drive)
  • Compare price to update the map vs cost of the unit
Great product for this price, just be ready to spend some time to install and play with settings.
Snowii (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 01:51 PM

C43
thanks a lot guys for your thoughts! highly appriciated!

and which ones did you guys end up getting? I`m looking at this one https://a.aliexpress.com/_msQtr1r since the seller happens to stock them even in my country so could have it within days.
I`m not a big fan of how it remains on even after you lock the car - 1) it is that it is visible to the others, 2) it drains battery, 3) just a sheer discomfort of having something of questionable quality hooked up to the car which might pose fire hazard on its own - I would probably try to ask my guy who would install it to put some electronic breaker which would connect it to the power only when the car is on... but that might only be my theoretic idea

jolugo - do you have the same issues as _MyK_ is talking about? (on after the car is locked, OEM sound much louder than CarPlay...)
_MyK_ - do you have the same issues as jolugo? USB/AUX and the general unpredictability? + how do you have a wireless charger? is that OEM or some aftermarket thing?

I just have couple of questions I posted on a few other spots here:
  1. how do you control Siri? Do you press a star or something? Is it using the OEM mic? I`ve seen most of the kits to have separate mic and a speaker (I am guessing for when one is using oem radio and wants to look at waze and listen to the directions?) does this kit solve it somehow? If not how do you make calls when using carplay adn how`s the quality?
  2. after you turn on the car, the system pairs itself wirelessly with the iphone and then after hodling the button takes you straight to carplay or do you have to scroll around to select "iOS / CarPlay"?
  3. when you start reversing, does the camera kick in even when using carplay automatically (I am afraid it doesn`t though given the "hijacking" nature of the box sending it`s data to the display)
  4. how well did it hold over the different iOS updates or did the FW updates help you with this?
Thank you guys!
Old 02-02-2022, 03:12 PM

GLC300 Coupe
thanks a lot guys for your thoughts! highly appriciated!

and which ones did you guys end up getting? I`m looking at this one https://a.aliexpress.com/_msQtr1r since the seller happens to stock them even in my country so could have it within days.

Thank you guys!
I purchase one from
Amazon Amazon
but it looks like the same brand

_MyK_ - do you have the same issues as jolugo? USB/AUX and the general unpredictability? + how do you have a wireless charger? is that OEM or some aftermarket thing?

I just have couple of questions I posted on a few other spots here:
  1. how do you control Siri? Do you press a star or something? Is it using the OEM mic? I`ve seen most of the kits to have separate mic and a speaker (I am guessing for when one is using oem radio and wants to look at waze and listen to the directions?) does this kit solve it somehow? If not how do you make calls when using carplay adn how`s the quality?
  2. after you turn on the car, the system pairs itself wirelessly with the iphone and then after hodling the button takes you straight to carplay or do you have to scroll around to select "iOS / CarPlay"?
  3. when you start reversing, does the camera kick in even when using carplay automatically (I am afraid it doesn`t though given the "hijacking" nature of the box sending it`s data to the display)
  4. how well did it hold over the different iOS updates or did the FW updates help you with this?
Thank you guys!
I don't use AUX (just hate wires I've got the wireless charger from
Amazon Amazon
3rd party (EOM will cost a lot more)
Answer your questions
  1. To control Siri press and hold a button on the string wheel, saying the command "Hey Siri", also long-press the "confirm" button. It uses an OEM mic, never try to listen to radion and Waze (not sure it will work as Carplay using AUX channel and can't be running in parallel to radio). Quality is good as soon as you adjust echo settings.
  2. Start car and iPhone contact automatically and start CarPlay screen and even start playing the last song from Spotify
  3. No issues with the reverse camera. Works like with OEM version
  4. No updates on my side. Support told me no update till it's working.
Install with electric breaker is a great idea. Turn on the radio only after you start a car and turn it off as soon as a car turns off.
Good luck with your new purchase.
P.S. I have a radio with navigation and no CarPlay option at all. My local dealer wants around $5k to rewire and install radio with CarPlay because different wires should be to connect it. (yes, I check it. back of the radio little bit different)
I spent $300 on this radio and after one day I have CarPlay
Snowii (02-02-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 05:56 AM

C43
_MyK_ thanks a lot for sharing and for the link to the wireless charger, looks great, will get the same (love how you still keep the cupholder!)
  • AUX - I meant the added unit with this as it outputs AUX which you bring to the USB and conect to the existing port in the arm rest via the AUX/USB converter and then switch OEM audio to USB/AUX input, correct? and since jolugo mentioned it tends to be unstable I was wondering what your experience with it is [otherwise I am looking forward to get rid of cables too]
  • quality - I have burmeister audio, do you too? how is the overall quality compared to lets say streaming music via BT to the OEM audio?
and I`ve checked the original retrofits, the funniest thing is you would get a smaller display with it, so you pay $5k and end up with something less premium btw last question - how much is the map update in the States? but definitely pulling the plug on this same unit, $300 seems reasonable for what more you get out of the car (given that it works which is the risk we have to take )
Old 02-03-2022, 08:58 AM

GLC300 Coupe
I don’t experience any issues with AUX. sound quality is almost the same. I’m not sound nerd, so I can judge accordingly. After few bad experiences with Mercedes’ navigation system I just using it and refuse even mention about any updates. Not worth to spend even $1 for it!
Snowii (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 10:27 AM

C43
cheers man! I`ll confirm my guy will install and pull the plug, you guys`ve been great help! enjoy your MBs!
Old 02-03-2022, 12:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC300
I installed this unit not too long ago and I did experience some issues.
- Loudness - I also have to adjust the volume when I switch to the unit. I adjusted the audio settings a bit but it didn't make much difference. I also have the Burmeister audio.
- Confusing BT connectivity. This one drove me crazy. I'm not a fan of the auto connect feature. Especially when the unit takes over and I get a phone call. I had to switch back to the retrofit unit to hear my call. I ended up switching to the cable like the OEM units and regain my BT using the MB BT.
- After playing around in the settings menu, I got the camera to work 100% just like OEM. At first, it was not turning on or it would switch as soon as I put the car in drive.
So far I'm happy with the unit.
Snowii (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 04:08 AM

C43
Elmer Romero thanks for you experience:

is your unit the same as I linked and _MyK_ seems to have as well? (https://a.aliexpress.com/_msQtr1r)

- loudness - the guy who might be installing this for me is quite skilled so I`ll discuss this with him, probably some preamp might solve this, would post back
- BT issues - that`s a bummer, does going back to the cable mean that CarPlay doesn`t take over the calls and you are still on the OEM BT then? I would assume that connecting the cable would mean the added unit would take all the audio calls incl.
- camera - intereting, good that there`s settings to fine tune this...

A few questions regarding the controls:
- what exactly are the controls, please? Is it the back arrow to switch to carplay/aa unit and star for activating siri?
- any other buttons to be used in the menu except the wheel and "confirm" click?
- does the "back" button work in Carplay/aa too?
- does the touchpad work?

thanks gents!
Old 02-04-2022, 09:05 AM

GLC300
Yes, this is the same unit I purchased.
-It's possible that the low sound is related to the USB to Mini plug converter. I'm thinking of purchasing a new one to rule this out.
-The BT works through the MB BT and yes, Carplay does not take over the calls. All calls even when plugged in, still go through MB's BT unit.

-Long pressing the fav button will switch you between NTG and the retrofit unit. Note that this will not change the audio source. You still need to select AUX in your car menu, then press the button.
-The wheel works just like on the NTG menu. I turned off the touchpad since I found it annoying (I'm not a fan of MBUX because of it). Either my arm would touch it or my dog would lean on it and change the radio so I turned it off on day one.
-The back button gets you out of "apps". The only ways I found to switch between NTG and the unit is by long pressing the fav button or clicking on any of the dash buttons (radio, nav, etc).
-I turned this off as I found it annoying on day one. If I remember, I'll turn it back on and give it a try.
Snowii (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 09:30 AM

C43
great, thanks for confirming!
- loudness - true, might be the converter for sure, let us know if that helped. I am also thiking since I have a small USB headphone preamp lying around, this might help as well with the issue, just pluggin this between the unit and the converter in the armrest box area.
- BT - good, seems like this can be solved easily then
- controls
- same here with the touchpad, I much prefer to rest my palm on it why using the wheel so it more a question out of curiosity rather than any plan to use it...
- so the back button works logically as a back button throughout the carplay system, do I get it correctly?
- clicking on the dash buttons is pretty good info too, thanks!

Last edited by Snowii; 02-07-2022 at 05:18 AM.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:05 AM

C43
Originally Posted by _MyK_
Install with electric breaker is a great idea. Turn on the radio only after you start a car and turn it off as soon as a car turns off.
well, apparently not - it would give you hell of a set of fault msgs as the car is expecting the OEM radio to be under power all the time so the CC/AA unit has to be on as well. Only solution to this would be limiting yourself to the cable connection only.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:55 AM

GLC300
Update: I was able to test the touchpad and it doesn't work. The other buttons within the touchpad do work. Back, forward, and favorites function just like the other ones. I ordered another cable, USB to Mini plug and that did not work. I had to revert back to the cable that came in with the unit. This time around, I was able to spend some time in the settings of the unit and adjust my sound settings. I have the auto to normalize and the volume is not low anymore.
Snowii (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 12:38 PM

C43
thanks a lot for the update! good that you`ve managed to work it all out within the settings, good to hear. unit coming in next week, installed hopefully the one after the latest, I am eager to see how it (hopefully) works
Old 04-01-2022, 09:49 AM

C43
Gents, I have finally managed to get the unit installed. So far so good - I am still on Android for a few more days before my Mini 13 arrives and I am quite impressed by how the phone wirelessly connects to the unit right away and all pretty much works as should. So thanks a lot for the recommendation to get this particular unit.

For the record - the entire process of connecting the android phone was kinda weird, cable connection first worked then didn't, connecting via BT/wifi (wireless AA) established the connection and didn`t work and then the next morning all started working and has been ever since (fingers x). One thing I learned in the process is that the original head units can stay under current for up to an hour or so (giving us the comfort of coming back to our car and having instant radio/navi etc. without having to boot the unit) and this is I am guessing the time we have to wait for the retrofit unit to power off and reset itself in case something works weird - bringing me to a point that forced reset option in the menu of the retrofit unit would be nice...

One question I have though is manual switching to the original cameras - all works well when reversing but being used to use the front camera from time to time too, I would like the to be able to use the "360 button" and having it switch from the retrofit unit to the camera view.
Has any one of you managed to achieve this? I tried the 360 cameras settings in the retrofit unit and all this lead to was exactly what jolugo has mentioned before that the retrofit unit started to drop out back to the original unit and when driving slow it would automatically switch to the front camera with black picture (visible guiding lines). Would be great not to have to manually switch to the original unit to be able to use the 360 button...
Old 04-01-2022, 01:47 PM

'17 GLC43
Gents, I have finally managed to get the unit installed. So far so good - I am still on Android for a few more days before my Mini 13 arrives and I am quite impressed by how the phone wirelessly connects to the unit right away and all pretty much works as should. So thanks a lot for the recommendation to get this particular unit.

For the record - the entire process of connecting the android phone was kinda weird, cable connection first worked then didn't, connecting via BT/wifi (wireless AA) established the connection and didn`t work and then the next morning all started working and has been ever since (fingers x). One thing I learned in the process is that the original head units can stay under current for up to an hour or so (giving us the comfort of coming back to our car and having instant radio/navi etc. without having to boot the unit) and this is I am guessing the time we have to wait for the retrofit unit to power off and reset itself in case something works weird - bringing me to a point that forced reset option in the menu of the retrofit unit would be nice...

One question I have though is manual switching to the original cameras - all works well when reversing but being used to use the front camera from time to time too, I would like the to be able to use the "360 button" and having it switch from the retrofit unit to the camera view.
Has any one of you managed to achieve this? I tried the 360 cameras settings in the retrofit unit and all this lead to was exactly what jolugo has mentioned before that the retrofit unit started to drop out back to the original unit and when driving slow it would automatically switch to the front camera with black picture (visible guiding lines). Would be great not to have to manually switch to the original unit to be able to use the 360 button...
About the 360 cameras, mine only acted up for a couple of months. Since then its been working as it should. If I invoke the 360 cameras and the CarPlay unit is in display, it switches automatically to the camera view. Maybe play with the settings again. I have no logical explanation as to why it broke and fix itself...

Regarding the radio being louder, there is an option to adjust the CarPlay box output volume. I had to turn it almost all the way up so it matches the other sources. This is where you also change the volume of the directions for the map apps.

I rigged a cup holder mount with a wireless charging pad so I can put mi phone within arms reach in case I need to use it, without having to hold it in my hand and risk getting pulled over.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:19 PM

C43
thanks jolugo, any chance to try to get that "reverse" setting from your unit exactly as you have it? (ie. posting a pic?) - getting the state you have would be splendid

as for the wireless charging I am planning this charger
Amazon Amazon
recommended by some fellow here on mbworld - I am however wondering whether the wireless charging is usable at least a bit - I am worried it will be too slow for anything...
Old 04-25-2022, 11:38 AM

glc300
There is a loudness adjustment in the unit settings.
I am having difficulty adjusting the AEC and mic delay to eliminate phone call echo for the other side - anyone can post their settings please?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adding Apple Carplay to GLC300