GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

'20 Shifting Out of Park

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,605 Likes on 1,181 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by KCSam
I am not pressing the e-break switch. Before I start the car, I can see the PARK indicator on dash indicating the e-break is on. I do not want the e-break to self-engage. Like I previously said in an earlier post, I've had the car nearly a year now, and never before had I touched the e-break (to engage or release) nor have I ever had to press the gas to get the e-break to release when going from park to drive or reverse.

On a side note, when you guys get into your car prior to starting the vehicle, do you see a PARK indicator in red on your dash? I don't recall if that has always been on my dash or not, but I noticed recently.
Sorry I misunderstood your post and wasn't thinking you place your foot on the brake to start the engine. Duh.
I thought the red PARK light referred to the transmissions not the brake, but I'll have to look. Car is away right now.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
GLC
Originally Posted by mikapen
Sorry I misunderstood your post and wasn't thinking you place your foot on the brake to start the engine. Duh.
I thought the red PARK light referred to the transmissions not the brake, but I'll have to look. Car is away right now.
I belive it to mean the e-break is activated. The PARK indicator is on from when I enter car until I manually realness the break or press on the gas to move.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (05-29-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
The red park like is for the e-brake, and yes it should be normally on when you get in the car. Part of the shutdown/park process is the car engaging the brake and shifting the transmission to park, so it's always "on" when the car is off. It's normal for it to be on until you shift out of park, I believe mine will release when I select reverse or drive.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:51 PM

GLC
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The red park like is for the e-brake, and yes it should be normally on when you get in the car. Part of the shutdown/park process is the car engaging the brake and shifting the transmission to park, so it's always "on" when the car is off. It's normal for it to be on until you shift out of park, I believe mine will release when I select reverse or drive.
Ok, so then the indicator has always been on the dash. Still trying to figure out why now all of a sudden when I shift out of park into reverse out of the garage, or into drive when pulling out of a parking spot, that the e-break is NOT automatically releasing.
Old 05-29-2021, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,605 Likes on 1,181 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Ok, so then the indicator has always been on the dash. Still trying to figure out why now all of a sudden when I shift out of park into reverse out of the garage, or into drive when pulling out of a parking spot, that the e-break is NOT automatically releasing.
Well, we understand your OP better now. Took 29 posts, and we're back to square 1 - at least you can better describe your problem to the Service Department. It sounds like you have a valid concern.
Good luck!
Old 05-29-2021, 03:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 GLC300 P01 selenite grey
I had this problem on a couple of cases. For example, I was parked facing uphill. I started the engine and shifted into Drive but nothing. It seems like there was some "e-break" or whatever feature. maybe because of the uphill. Then pushed Park off, shifted again into drive, and pushed the gas, and then the car started forward.
Somehow with the shifter on the steering wheel I'm never quite sure if it is in gear or not.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Verified on my car, it does in fact release on the shift out of park, so your car may be seeing something that is preventing that shift (like a door open for example, but obviously not giving you that warning). So it may be time for a dealer visit, compare it to a like vehicle, and see if it's "normal" or something is wrong preventing the release until you press on the gas.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:30 AM

GLC
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Verified on my car, it does in fact release on the shift out of park, so your car may be seeing something that is preventing that shift (like a door open for example, but obviously not giving you that warning). So it may be time for a dealer visit, compare it to a like vehicle, and see if it's "normal" or something is wrong preventing the release until you press on the gas.
I'm going to get back in contact with service rep tomorrow and let him know I'm bringing it in even though he said it's "working as designed". Not sure how that is the case when the car has never done this before until recently. There's definitely an issue because there's no reason why I should need to release the e-break every single time after starting the car.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:02 AM

GLC
I took the car in yesterday for my yearly maintenance and had them look at the e-break issue. They said it is working as designed and every other GLC in their loaner fleet acts the same way. I asked him then why all of a sudden did mine just start doing this? He didn't have an answer. He said I needed to have the door shut and seat belt on (which I already knew and was doing) He said there were no updates, errors or anything that would have affected this. So I guess I'm just stuck now with having to manually release the e-break or press the gas pedal to begin moving for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by KCSam; 07-07-2021 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:20 AM

GLC
*UPDATE

I texted my service rep a few days ago with a screen shot from my manual below. He quickly responded and said that he drove a loaner a bit ago where he did not have to manually release the e-break and that it may indeed be a problem (which is what I had been saying for several weeks now). I'm scheduled to drop the car off on the 27th. Who knows how long it will take to diagnose and repair since no one there has any idea why this occurring.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:18 AM

GLC
Today's my appointment to have the shop foreman look over my issue. Hopefully he's able to figure out what's going on.
The following users liked this post:
CaptainMal (07-27-2021)