GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

'20 Shifting Out of Park

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 07:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
GLC
'20 Shifting Out of Park

I was taking my '20 GLC out of the garage today and noticed something odd. When shifting out of park into reverse, I had to press the accelerator in order to start backing up. I never had to do that prior to this weekend. Later in that same trip, coming out of park and this time going straight to drive, I had to again, release the break and press the accelerator again to begin moving forward. Anyone else experience this recently?
Old 05-24-2021, 08:11 AM

Received 203 Likes on 163 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Maybe the engine was warmer? I can only guess that the RPMs were not as high as they were before so there wasn't enough engagement with the transmission to move the vehicle like when it's cold and the RPMs may be higher.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:16 AM

GLC
Originally Posted by MBguy013
Maybe the engine was warmer? I can only guess that the RPMs were not as high as they were before so there wasn't enough engagement with the transmission to move the vehicle like when it's cold and the RPMs may be higher.
I don't think that's it. I've taken the car out when it's been below freezing (as well as in the 90's) and never had to press the accelerator when going out of park to either drive or reverse. It feels like the car is just stuck until I press the gas to move it forward or backwards.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLC300
I have a '21 and this happened to me in my garage as well, trying to back out. It's only happened once but I've only had the car for a little over a month. It's almost like HOLD was on, but it wasn't.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:06 AM

GLC
Originally Posted by CaptainMal
I have a '21 and this happened to me in my garage as well, trying to back out. It's only happened once but I've only had the car for a little over a month. It's almost like HOLD was on, but it wasn't.
Same with me. I, too, thought the HOLD command was engaged, but as I understand, you can only activate that while the car is running and after stopped. Not sure why all of a sudden my car is doing this after having it for 10 months and never experiencing prior to.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Was the parking brake set?
Old 05-24-2021, 11:19 AM

GLC
Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
Was the parking brake set?
No. I think I've only used parking break maybe twice.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
Originally Posted by KCSam
No. I think I've only used parking break maybe twice.
The parking brake engages automatically and disengages automatically depending on certain conditions being met.
Old 05-24-2021, 10:28 PM

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLC300 & 2009 SL550 (previously had 1999 CLK / 2006 E500 / 2011 GL450)
I have this issue almost every day in my garage -- in my case, it's one of the driving/parking assist "features" detecting proximity issues. While I back straight out, I have some things on the sides of the car (a pole between the front and rear driver's door, a recycling can to the left of the rear fender (between the adjacent garage door), and some stuff to the right. My 360-view camera shows all sorts of warnings around the car - yellow, orange and sometimes some red, so I need to give it some gas to get it to move (vs. roll out on idle). I think it's even hit the brakes on me on several occasions... I give it a little gas and it beeps/nags and then stops dead until I let up on the gas.

I don't know what features are part of which safety package, so I can't point to one in-particular (they admittedly do integrate well together), but are you getting any warning tones/beeps when backing out of your garage? Did anyone relocate anything near the car (front, back or on the sides)?
Old 05-24-2021, 11:04 PM

GLC
Originally Posted by High Technology
I have this issue almost every day in my garage -- in my case, it's one of the driving/parking assist "features" detecting proximity issues. While I back straight out, I have some things on the sides of the car (a pole between the front and rear driver's door, a recycling can to the left of the rear fender (between the adjacent garage door), and some stuff to the right. My 360-view camera shows all sorts of warnings around the car - yellow, orange and sometimes some red, so I need to give it some gas to get it to move (vs. roll out on idle). I think it's even hit the brakes on me on several occasions... I give it a little gas and it beeps/nags and then stops dead until I let up on the gas.

I don't know what features are part of which safety package, so I can't point to one in-particular (they admittedly do integrate well together), but are you getting any warning tones/beeps when backing out of your garage? Did anyone relocate anything near the car (front, back or on the sides)?
No warnings or beeps and nothing in close proximity of the vehicle that hasn't already been there the last 10 months. It initially started in garage, but after I parked at the auto parts store and went into reverse upon leaving, it happened again. It's happened the last two days after never occurring the prior 10 months.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Parking brake is still on, and releases when you press the gas. If you get into the car and start it before closing the door, it may not be releasing the brake on the shift but waiting for the pedal move to confirm. All part of not letting you run yourself over. Sucks but they use the EPB for holding the car in a wide variety of situations rather than slamming the car back in park.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:15 AM

GLC
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Parking brake is still on, and releases when you press the gas. If you get into the car and start it before closing the door, it may not be releasing the brake on the shift but waiting for the pedal move to confirm. All part of not letting you run yourself over. Sucks but they use the EPB for holding the car in a wide variety of situations rather than slamming the car back in park.
I'm most certain the door was closed both in the garage and when leaving store. I'll try again tomorrow morning and see if it's still doing it after ensuring the door's closed prior to starting and parking brake is not on.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4 Matic
I have this issue also. Backing out of garage while turning wheel, brakes go on which is good to keep from hitting wall. But being stuck in park when stepping on gas is worrisome. Not sure if that’s something I need service for or why that occurs.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:49 PM

GLC
I'm most certain the door was closed both in the garage and when leaving store. I'll try again tomorrow morning and see if it's still doing it after ensuring the door's closed prior to starting and parking brake is not on.
I verified today that the door was closed and seatbelt on prior to starting. After turning on, I see the parking break is activated whether I go to reverse or drive. I either have to manually release or step in gas to move. I'm not sure why all of a sudden this is happening.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
I. I'm not sure why all of a sudden this is happening.
Whether you like it or not your car is constantly having software updates from your dealer and beyond. This change has probably been brought about by such an update.
In my 5+ years of ownership of 2 of these vehicles I have noticed many times changes in 'behaviour '.
For instance the parking brake used to engage automatically when the passenger door was opened even if the car was still in motion. ...this changed after a service at the dealer and no longer happens.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:15 AM

GLC
Originally Posted by decorily
Whether you like it or not your car is constantly having software updates from your dealer and beyond. This change has probably been brought about by such an update.
In my 5+ years of ownership of 2 of these vehicles I have noticed many times changes in 'behaviour '.
For instance the parking brake used to engage automatically when the passenger door was opened even if the car was still in motion. ...this changed after a service at the dealer and no longer happens.
I'm going to contact my service rep here in a few hours when they open and see if there was a software update recently. Something definitely changed. And if there is a way to override and go back to the way it was before, I need to get it done.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:52 AM

GLC
I'm going to contact my service rep here in a few hours when they open and see if there was a software update recently. Something definitely changed. And if there is a way to override and go back to the way it was before, I need to get it done.
My service rep said that there was no update, it's working as designed and there's no override of the functionality. It still makes no sense that it never happened one time in the past 10 months until last week. I don't get it.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300, Porsche Carrera S
Normal behavior in my wife’s 2017 GLE. I have a 2020 GLC and have not experienced this…
Old 05-27-2021, 12:16 AM

GLC
Originally Posted by enduro963
Normal behavior in my wife’s 2017 GLE. I have a 2020 GLC and have not experienced this…
Strange that it varies between models, years and situation. Hopefully mine "randomly" goes away as fast as it arrived.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C300 4Matic Luxury
Take to dealer. <50k. All free work.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:15 AM

GLC
Originally Posted by chrism929
Take to dealer. <50k. All free work.
I talked to the dealer (my personal maintenance tech) and he said it's not an issue. I explained to him that it never occurred prior to this past week, but he still said it is working as designed. So other than physically bringing it in and making them look at it, I don't know what else there is to do.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC 300, Porsche Carrera S
@KCSam have you read the owners manual? I remember reading something about the operation of this feature on my wife's GLE manual,
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 09:53 AM

GLC
Originally Posted by enduro963
@KCSam have you read the owners manual? I remember reading something about the operation of this feature on my wife's GLE manual,
Yeah, I read it. None o the scenarios that are to trigger the ebreak are occurring for me. I'm simply getting into the car, closing the door, pressing break, pushing ignition button and shifting into D or R. At that point, I can feel the ebreak engage and I either have to press gas to jar loose or manually release ebreak.
The following users liked this post:
enduro963 (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,605 Likes on 1,181 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Yeah, I read it. None o the scenarios that are to trigger the ebreak are occurring for me. I'm simply getting into the car, closing the door, pressing break, pushing ignition button and shifting into D or R. At that point, I can feel the ebreak engage and I either have to press gas to jar loose or manually release ebreak.
I'm not clear why you would push the brake switch if you don't want the parking brake on.
But aside from that, the e-brake operation is so innocuous on our '19, that we really don't pay attention. Maybe that's the case for you - that you finally noticed it and now you're focusing on it?
Old 05-27-2021, 01:30 PM

GLC
Originally Posted by mikapen
I'm not clear why you would push the brake switch if you don't want the parking brake on.
But aside from that, the e-brake operation is so innocuous on our '19, that we really don't pay attention. Maybe that's the case for you - that you finally noticed it and now you're focusing on it?
I am not pressing the e-break switch. Before I start the car, I can see the PARK indicator on dash indicating the e-break is on. I do not want the e-break to self-engage. Like I previously said in an earlier post, I've had the car nearly a year now, and never before had I touched the e-break (to engage or release) nor have I ever had to press the gas to get the e-break to release when going from park to drive or reverse.

On a side note, when you guys get into your car prior to starting the vehicle, do you see a PARK indicator in red on your dash? I don't recall if that has always been on my dash or not, but I noticed recently.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '20 Shifting Out of Park