GLC Dashboard removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 02:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2007 Mercedes SL55 AMG
GLC Dashboard removal

Hello all,

As the title states, I'm looking for advice on how to remove the upper dashboard of the car. The trim has developed an extremely irritating wire/plastic tapping noise that's directly under the upper dashboard.. It's not particularly loud but it's just one of those irritating noises, I've removed the glove box and tried to feel for anything that could be causing this, but I couldn't. I figure removing the upper dashboard would allow me to find where this problem is and I can fix whatever is causing this frustrating noise... Simple solution would be to turn the music up, but It would be nice to have the occasional conversation with any passengers. The noise appears to be located around the passenger side (US) Air vent... Also, I'm sure the Pirelli Scorpion runflats don't help. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-03-2024, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 150 Posts
2018 GLC 4MATIC
I saw similar question on this forum. Pointing to the same location as you.
Is this noice permanent? I have some ticking rattling sound when car gets up to 38mph.
Its more like ticking sound but much faster rate. It disperse when seed is below 35-38mph. Very annoying.
Old 06-03-2024, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
Here it is

https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...dashboard.html
Old 06-03-2024, 03:32 PM

2007 Mercedes SL55 AMG
Thank you for the reply, I took that out yesterday but haven't tried driving without that little trim piece. Hmmm, honestly it's so weird because somedays it will do it and other days it won't. It could be temperature based as I live in Florida. It sounds like a loose wire hitting a bit of plastic, or broken plastic hitting plastic, It's a horrible noise. I figured that If I took the upper dash board off I'd be able to thoroughly inspect it and find the problem, I thought it was the air vent tube, so I did try adding some foam padding to solve the issue but, still, defeated.
Old 06-03-2024, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
My first guess was its a laminated label or plastic tube or something similar and small.
But my problem is related to a speed and its at the same rate. Im afraid its some valve under the hood or even injector.
Good luck and keep us updated. I really like to get under the dash too.
Old 06-03-2024, 03:44 PM

2007 Mercedes SL55 AMG
Yeah that's what it sounds like, It's one of those annoying noises, I regularly scan the car for codes and I've just had the cylinder head replaced under warranty with new injectors etc so It's none of that stuff, It stops when I put some weight on the dashboard. Maybe I should just drive around with a 10lb bag on my dash.
Old 06-03-2024, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GLC 4MATIC
I went to a dealer and drove the same year GLC, didn't notice it at all.

One of the ac pipes under the hood located
Near to wipers motors was kind of loose, i thought this is it. No its not it.

Also: i removed center console was thinking I can get access to a center or sound should be louder and easy to pinpoint. No luck.

I hope you will find it. Where do you put weight?