2023 GLC will not start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 11:54 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC
Originally Posted by dcarfora77
Conventional Mercedes used to have AGM batteries (like my 21 c43). The new glc has a main 12 volt lithium ion which is insanely expensive to replace. The new glc also has a 48 volt battery which starts the car (there’s no starter motor anymore), allows the engine to shut off around 6mph when decelerating, and some other things I’m forgetting. Not sure where the actual 48v battery is located to probe (maybe in the trunk) but all of the voltages are located in the hidden service menu (not going to post how to access that in here as I don’t want to get banned but just look it up on YouTube. It shows state of charge, current voltage, amperage…everything you need to know)
Hello, the 48 volt lithium battery is located in the front of the car underneath the cabin air filter. The 12 volt batteries located in the boot next to the spare tire. Can you share where you're finding that information via the service screen on our consoles. Every time I go into the service screen it basically just tells me oil temperature and water temperature and that's it. Thank you
Old 12-28-2023, 12:03 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
21 c43
Originally Posted by GLCmiked
Hello, the 48 volt lithium battery is located in the front of the car underneath the cabin air filter. The 12 volt batteries located in the boot next to the spare tire. Can you share where you're finding that information via the service screen on our consoles. Every time I go into the service screen it basically just tells me oil temperature and water temperature and that's it. Thank you
On my 21 c43 the main battery is under the cabin air filter and there’s nothing in the trunk (the car has a starter motor and no additional battery). One of the times the glc wouldn’t start before the update, I removed the cable from the battery under the hood and that cut power to everything so unless that happens with the 48v, then I guess mb moved the main battery location for the new glc

is the process to get into the hidden menu. Click on vehicle data and it will show you everything. They made this significantly more difficult than the previous gen lol
Old 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Banned

GLC
On my 21 c43 the main battery is under the cabin air filter and there’s nothing in the trunk (the car has a starter motor and no additional battery). One of the times the glc wouldn’t start before the update, I removed the cable from the battery under the hood and that cut power to everything so unless that happens with the 48v, then I guess mb moved the main battery location for the new glc

Here is the process to get into the hidden menu. Click on vehicle data and it will show you everything. They made this significantly more difficult than the previous gen lol
Thanks for very much for that. I have not seen anything today that can get me into the environment that you just showed me. It looks like you toggle back and forth every 5 or 10 seconds to get to that sub menu. I will give it a try when I get my car back from the dealership. It is now at the dealer for the second time for a no start. It basically gives me all the symptoms that other forum post mention. You open the door and all the warning messages come on. And the car will not start. This is the second time in the service department for the same problem. The car has 930 mi on it. Brand new. I just bought November 11th and it's a 2024 model. Thank you for your help
Old 12-28-2023, 12:32 AM

21 c43
Thanks for very much for that. I have not seen anything today that can get me into the environment that you just showed me. It looks like you toggle back and forth every 5 or 10 seconds to get to that sub menu. I will give it a try when I get my car back from the dealership. It is now at the dealer for the second time for a no start. It basically gives me all the symptoms that other forum post mention. You open the door and all the warning messages come on. And the car will not start. This is the second time in the service department for the same problem. The car has 930 mi on it. Brand new. I just bought November 11th and it's a 2024 model. Thank you for your help
No problem. Our 2023 had even less on it, I think like 120 miles. The day after we got it we went upstate and got stranded, not ideal! Thankfully we were able to lock the car, let everything go to sleep, and it restarted fine. Called the dealer and found there was a PCM update. We have never experienced the non starting issue again after having that (been 6 months with the car now). Your dealer should definitely have the software by now. Unfortunately some techs, foreman’s and even SM’s don’t know this and of course tell you that this has never happened before, and not to read the forums. Quite a show they put on. Somewhere far up on this forum there is the service bulletin (maybe the first page), I would go to your dealer with that and force them to update the car. Very shocking that the 2024 still has this issue, especially with 10k 2023’s being recalled. Hate to say it because I love the brand but MB really is falling apart. Keep us posted on how you make out
Old 12-28-2023, 01:03 AM
Banned

GLC
No problem. Our 2023 had even less on it, I think like 120 miles. The day after we got it we went upstate and got stranded, not ideal! Thankfully we were able to lock the car, let everything go to sleep, and it restarted fine. Called the dealer and found there was a PCM update. We have never experienced the non starting issue again after having that (been 6 months with the car now). Your dealer should definitely have the software by now. Unfortunately some techs, foreman’s and even SM’s don’t know this and of course tell you that this has never happened before, and not to read the forums. Quite a show they put on. Somewhere far up on this forum there is the service bulletin (maybe the first page), I would go to your dealer with that and force them to update the car. Very shocking that the 2024 still has this issue, especially with 10k 2023’s being recalled. Hate to say it because I love the brand but MB really is falling apart. Keep us posted on how you make out
Thanks very much for that. They are doing a software update on quite a few of the modules and controllers in the car. That is the latest news today. I should have it back on Friday. The first update they did was an electronic ignition update but that came back two weeks later. So now they're doing some other ones. But the dealer did say they followed the manufacturers step by step guideline. And I really can't tell them what to do. They have to follow the manufacturer. It's one of those unfortunate processes that is a path of lease resistance first before they get into the expensive items, but I feel confident that it is just a few updates. I have not tried locking the car and then stepping away for a few minutes and then unlocking it and trying it. The car is usually left unlocked in the garage. Then when I open the door, very random. Of course I get all the warning messages. We will see. Thanks again for your help on the going into the service mode part. I will see if that is an option when I get the car back.
Old 12-28-2023, 09:12 AM

Received 200 Likes on 162 Posts
'23 GLS450
The car is usually left unlocked in the garage.
I think most German luxury brands expect the car to be locked. Sounds like a quick way to drain the battery on "standby".

Out of curiosity, how many of you with battery issues leave the car unlocked at home?
Old 12-28-2023, 09:26 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2023 GLC 300W AMG, Pinnacle, white
Originally Posted by EWL5
I think most German luxury brands expect the car to be locked. Sounds like a quick way to drain the battery on "standby".

Out of curiosity, how many of you with battery issues leave the car unlocked at home?
I do both and I don't think it is related to the lock status. I find the "partially charged" condition after:
-Playing with the menus in the garage without starting the engine (usually)
-Driving less than 5 miles (rarely)

I just ignore it now.
The following users liked this post:
EWL5 (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 02:06 PM
Banned

GLC

Leaving the car unlocked, and having a drained battery is ridiculous.. I keep the car in a locked secured garage every night. I did a 60 mi Christmas Eve drive and then waking up to it not starting. It is definitely something else. It's in the dealership right now getting work done.
Thank you

Last edited by RA040624; 12-28-2023 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MB GLC 350e
Well I live in southern California. The Glc is always kept in the garage. Unlocked in a secure environment. I don't lock the car at night.
I do not lock the car in the garage, I expect to approach it in the morning, sit inside it, press the button and start.
I don't want to perform any voodoo magic of locking it, waiting 5 minutes and having it try to reset itself. I went through a 6 hour or deal of just that getting stranded over this issue. Now I'm going back to the dealership tomorrow for the second time.
If this isn't resolved or pinpointed from Mercedes-Benz or the dealership I will pursue a lemon law.
Many people have said why didn't you just buy an older used car. Well my point is, is buying a new car. You want to avoid any mechanical past issues. That is the beauty of buying a brand new car. You are the first one to fart on the seat, you are the first one to do anything to it, and you are the first one to properly break in the engine for the first 1000 km. Km. You don't know what you're getting when you get a lease buyback, Or buying one form a private party. And I'm not just talking Mercedes here.
To have a personal mechanic checkout, various cars can be vary time consuming and get expensive. Thanks all.
IM SO SORRY YOU ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM - I SUCCESSFULLY USED A LEMON LAW ATTORNEY IN LA FOR MY SON'S GLC 350E AND CAN GIVE YOU A NAME IF NECESSARY
Old 12-28-2023, 07:16 PM
Banned

GLC
Originally Posted by frmrneit
IM SO SORRY YOU ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM - I SUCCESSFULLY USED A LEMON LAW ATTORNEY IN LA FOR MY SON'S GLC 350E AND CAN GIVE YOU A NAME IF NECESSARY
Thank you for that offer. I am not there yet in this phase of the repair process. But it would be great to get the name of your attorney that deals with these types of lemon law cases. Thank you very much
Old 01-15-2024, 01:24 PM

'23 GLS450
Checking in w/everybody. Did folks w/issues get them resolved and keep the car or have some of you moved on?
Old 01-15-2024, 02:08 PM

21 c43
Checking in w/everybody. Did folks w/issues get them resolved and keep the car or have some of you moved on?
Think I might be the only person that got it resolved and still have the car lol. Of course the usual MB stuff (active blind spot assist was inoperative a couple times and the infotainment lags when opening menus sometimes but that’s over a now 7 month period). The car has a very comfortable ride and gorgeous interior, have been loving it!
EWL5 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2023 GLC 300
My “not starting” issue was resolved via an update. However, I’ve had to have my glove box replace (wouldn’t open) and my sunroof repaired (wouldn’t close until the 45th attempt).
EWL5 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 02:47 PM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by charice1
My “not starting” issue was resolved via an update. However, I’ve had to have my glove box replace (wouldn’t open) and my sunroof repaired (wouldn’t close until the 45th attempt).
I've never heard of a glove box being replaced (that's new!).
Glad your issues were resolved!
Old 01-15-2024, 02:49 PM

'23 GLS450
Think I might be the only person that got it resolved and still have the car lol. Of course the usual MB stuff (active blind spot assist was inoperative a couple times and the infotainment lags when opening menus sometimes but that’s over a now 7 month period). The car has a very comfortable ride and gorgeous interior, have been loving it!
I get the same "blind spot assist inoperative" message on my GLS so there may not be a fix in sight.
Old 01-15-2024, 02:51 PM

21 c43
I get the same "blind spot assist inoperative" message on my GLS so there may not be a fix in sight.
I’ve never had that message on my w205 albeit it’s the older COMAND system not MBUX. From what I can tell, the system goes back to working shortly after the message appears so it’s probably just a glitch in the code. Thankfully it doesn’t happen often
Old 01-15-2024, 02:59 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2023 GLC 300W AMG, Pinnacle, white
Mine has been fine except for the very beginning when it was new.
EWL5 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 03:02 PM

'23 GLS450
I’ve never had that message on my w205 albeit it’s the older COMAND system not MBUX. From what I can tell, the system goes back to working shortly after the message appears so it’s probably just a glitch in the code. Thankfully it doesn’t happen often
I've only had the blind spot assist come back to life after turning the car off and then back on. You could probably do it while sitting in traffic but impossible to do that in the middle of the highway w/o pulling over!
Old 01-16-2024, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2024 GLC 300, 1984 300SD, 1995 S500, 2006 E320 CDI
2024 GLC 300

Just had to have my 2024 GLC 300, which we've owned less than a month towed out of our garage for this exact problem. Would've thought it would've been sorted for the 2024 model year. Module on order per the dealer...
Old 01-16-2024, 05:45 PM
Banned

GLC
Originally Posted by esherrill
Just had to have my 2024 GLC 300, which we've owned less than a month towed out of our garage for this exact problem. Would've thought it would've been sorted for the 2024 model year. Module on order per the dealer...
That is a really rotten shame that that happened to you. Mine happened on Christmas Day in my garage! And as well once before that at a park with my dog that left me stranded for over 4 hours before roadside assistance came. All of which the car had less than 500 miles on it. First and foremost reach out to the customer service at Mercedes-Benz and document this issue. Also talk to your dealership shop manager and have a complete breakdown of work completed. The reason why I say this is because the manufacturer dictates what the dealership has to do first for these types of problems. So, I hate to say this but if in fact they fix this the first time around , that's great. Mine was a electronic ignition module software Update was the first, then the second time around they updated all 16 modules in my car. And remember these are software updates. They do not necessarily replace them. I have been running error free now since December 29th.
Just be patient as these are new cars with entirely new software for 2024. At least that's what I was told and I live here in Southern California and these cars are a dime, a dozen just like Porsches and BMWs and Audis and Volvos.
esherrill (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 06:54 PM

Thankfully I had already ordered another spec’d more to my liking that’ll be here in 2-3 weeks and I can trade this one back to them.
Old 01-16-2024, 07:13 PM
Banned

GLC
Originally Posted by esherrill
Thankfully I had already ordered another spec’d more to my liking that’ll be here in 2-3 weeks and I can trade this one back to them.
If you bought that new from the dealership and signed the papers and drove it off the lot, you're going to take about a 7 to 8k hit. That car is now considered used because it's already been registered as sold. Just something to think about if you didn't already know it. I went down the same road and figured I will just trade it in and exchange it. Not worth it! But if Money is not an object😁
Old 01-17-2024, 09:39 AM

Well understood, yes. My pain threshold is around 3-4k. I’v been a loyal customer to this dealer and salesman for 25 years, so they usually treat me well. Warning taken though, we’ll see.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:34 PM

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
2023 GLC 300
That is a really rotten shame that that happened to you. Mine happened on Christmas Day in my garage! And as well once before that at a park with my dog that left me stranded for over 4 hours before roadside assistance came. All of which the car had less than 500 miles on it. First and foremost reach out to the customer service at Mercedes-Benz and document this issue. Also talk to your dealership shop manager and have a complete breakdown of work completed. The reason why I say this is because the manufacturer dictates what the dealership has to do first for these types of problems. So, I hate to say this but if in fact they fix this the first time around , that's great. Mine was a electronic ignition module software Update was the first, then the second time around they updated all 16 modules in my car. And remember these are software updates. They do not necessarily replace them. I have been running error free now since December 29th.
Just be patient as these are new cars with entirely new software for 2024. At least that's what I was told and I live here in Southern California and these cars are a dime, a dozen just like Porsches and BMWs and Audis and Volvos.
hate to break it to you, but they have no idea how to fix this issue. It will come back. They have "fixed" mine 4 times now. Guess what? It is BACK at the dealership again. Been there a total of 8/10 months of ownership now. Get a lawyer--yesterday. And I say that because Mercedes is fighting me every step of the way. It has been 3 months now since my lawyer started on my case, and Mercedes takes as long as possible to even reply to this issue. Then they lowball you and make you wait, hoping you'll just say yes and go away.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:57 AM
Banned

GLC
Latest update on 2024 GLC 300.
the car fixed on December 29th with a 16 module software update. To this date it has been starting every time.
I am still shell-shocked over the last two failures leaving me stranded from a brand new car. The fear is slowly dwindling and I am slowly having faith in the car that it will start the next time I get in it. Hope everyone is getting theirs resolved as well as we are moving into 2024 with new software.
Alta (01-23-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2023 GLC will not start