GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

'23 GLC Loaner Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 08:32 AM

Received 186 Likes on 149 Posts
'23 GLS450
'23 GLC Loaner Experience

So I was recently put in a basic '23 GLC loaner and offer the following thoughts. Let me set the table:
  • Was looking for a '22 GLC at this time last year but couldn't find one on the lot that had the "kick to open trunk" feature and many packages were "Lite" (de-contented).
  • Considered waiting for the '23 redesign but heard it wasn't coming until April
  • Purchased a '23 X3 xDrive30i and have had it for about a year.
Now that I've had a chance to check out the redesigned '23 GLC for a couple hours, here are my thoughts:

1) Large iPad-like interface is very distracting. Was using Spotify and nearly got into an accident trying to reach over to a "button" in the upper right corner. The center console is spacious for phones, cups, etc. The wireless charging pad appears to be deep within the space, which is hard to get stuff in/out.

2) Due to the width of the center console (nearly same width as the screen), driver space is tighter than even the '22 GLC loaner I've driven in the past. My X3 is the roomiest of the lot apparently. I flew business class on Virgin Atlantic once and they were lined up diagonally to maximize the number of business class seats (my co-worker called them "horse stalls"). While I wouldn't call the driver position a "horse stall", I can't imagine a taller, chubbier person being happy (I'm 5'10" and 200 lb).

3) Engine is not as responsive as my X3 but passed cars reasonably well at speed. I wouldn't discount the car because of the engine!

4) It took me a while but I finally found the handle to let you close the door after entering the driver's seat. It’s a thicker, silver bar where the window buttons and side mirror adjustments are located (not intuitive but owners should get used to this over time). I think the NX is like this too!

5) Wireless CP appeared to work reasonably well.

6) With hands on steering wheel, the lower portion of my left thumb hit the "Cancel" button by accident. I can see this being a pain if I use Cruise Control often.

7) Volume adjustment using the capacitive interface (right hand on steering wheel) works but lags in response. It makes finding the proper volume level more difficult than it needs to be!

8) Opened the trunk lid and was surprised by how high up it got! I had to stand on my tippy toes to push the "close" button! The X3 doesn't go up that high and I can easily fit underneath (maybe a plus for tall folks?). "Kick to open" was working on this car.

9) The texture and feel of the MB-TEX is identical to what I have on the GLS. What's different is the GLS seat has more bolstering and support and probably better suited for long trips compared to the GLC. If my X3 seat is a 6/10, the GLC is no better than 7/10.

10) Similar to my X3, the latest GLC doesn't have acoustic glass standard and I was able to hear a lot of noise from outside. Mercedes are no longer the sanctuaries they once were!

11) I enabled the Easy Entry/Exit feature of the car and, upon putting the car in Park and opening the door, the driver's chair moved up instead of back like in prior generations! If the purpose of this is to make it easier for rear passengers to exit, wouldn't the best choice be to not have the option at all since everyone already had their settings to taste before departing? I can see this getting real old fast, especially if the car is normally driven w/o rear passengers (a daily driver for example!

I'm glad I didn't wait for the '23 GLC as the iPad interface would have driven me crazy and the cabin is much tighter than the X3.
Are my observations consistent w/what owners are saying?

Last edited by EWL5; 10-12-2023 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-12-2023, 09:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Future GLC 300
Originally Posted by EWL5
6) With hands on steering wheel, the lower portion of my left thumb hit the "Cancel" button by accident. I can see this being a pain if I use Cruise Control often.

7) Volume adjustment using the capacitive interface (right hand on steering wheel) works but lags in response. It makes finding the proper volume level more difficult than it needs to be!
Yeah, the touch capacitive buttons on the steering wheel just don't make a lot of sense. Whatever happened to plain old mechanical buttons? It's not just Mercedes...my current car has all capacitive buttons on the infotainment system. Trying to accurately hit the correct button is a roll of the dice.
The following users liked this post:
EWL5 (10-13-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 10:35 AM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by Paradocks
Yeah, the touch capacitive buttons on the steering wheel just don't make a lot of sense. Whatever happened to plain old mechanical buttons? It's not just Mercedes...my current car has all capacitive buttons on the infotainment system. Trying to accurately hit the correct button is a roll of the dice.
Everyone's cost cutting. Less spare parts to worry about!

The trouble with mimicking Tesla interior is you don't have access to the internal customer feedback on surveys, complaints, etc!
Old 10-13-2023, 08:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2023 GLC 300W AMG, Pinnacle, white
>>8) Opened the trunk lid and was surprised by how high up it got! I had to stand on my tippy toes to push the "close" button!<<

You can set how high the trunk lid opens by holding the STOP button somehow.
Old 10-13-2023, 09:12 AM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by mhmyers55
>>8) Opened the trunk lid and was surprised by how high up it got! I had to stand on my tippy toes to push the "close" button!<<

You can set how high the trunk lid opens by holding the STOP button somehow.
I understand there is a setting to make it lower. My point is even when the liftgate is highest on my X3 and even on the bigger GLS, I don't need to reach super high to press the button!

It really caught me by surprise as that rarely ever happens to me on any car!
Old 11-13-2023, 12:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,440 Likes on 2,079 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
So I was recently put in a basic '23 GLC loaner and offer the following thoughts. Let me set the table:
  • Was looking for a '22 GLC at this time last year but couldn't find one on the lot that had the "kick to open trunk" feature and many packages were "Lite" (de-contented).
  • Considered waiting for the '23 redesign but heard it wasn't coming until April
  • Purchased a '23 X3 xDrive30i and have had it for about a year.
Now that I've had a chance to check out the redesigned '23 GLC for a couple hours, here are my thoughts:

1) Large iPad-like interface is very distracting. Was using Spotify and nearly got into an accident trying to reach over to a "button" in the upper right corner. The center console is spacious for phones, cups, etc. The wireless charging pad appears to be deep within the space, which is hard to get stuff in/out.

2) Due to the width of the center console (nearly same width as the screen), driver space is tighter than even the '22 GLC loaner I've driven in the past. My X3 is the roomiest of the lot apparently. I flew business class on Virgin Atlantic once and they were lined up diagonally to maximize the number of business class seats (my co-worker called them "horse stalls"). While I wouldn't call the driver position a "horse stall", I can't imagine a taller, chubbier person being happy (I'm 5'10" and 200 lb).

3) Engine is not as responsive as my X3 but passed cars reasonably well at speed. I wouldn't discount the car because of the engine!

4) It took me a while but I finally found the handle to let you close the door after entering the driver's seat. It’s a thicker, silver bar where the window buttons and side mirror adjustments are located (not intuitive but owners should get used to this over time). I think the NX is like this too!

5) Wireless CP appeared to work reasonably well.

8) Opened the trunk lid and was surprised by how high up it got! I had to stand on my tippy toes to push the "close" button! The X3 doesn't go up that high and I can easily fit underneath (maybe a plus for tall folks?). "Kick to open" was working on this car.

9) The texture and feel of the MB-TEX is identical to what I have on the GLS. What's different is the GLS seat has more bolstering and support and probably better suited for long trips compared to the GLC. If my X3 seat is a 6/10, the GLC is no better than 7/10.

10) Similar to my X3, the latest GLC doesn't have acoustic glass standard and I was able to hear a lot of noise from outside. Mercedes are no longer the sanctuaries they once were!

11) I enabled the Easy Entry/Exit feature of the car and, upon putting the car in Park and opening the door, the driver's chair moved up instead of back like in prior generations! If the purpose of this is to make it easier for rear passengers to exit, wouldn't the best choice be to not have the option at all since everyone already had their settings to taste before departing? I can see this getting real old fast, especially if the car is normally driven w/o rear passengers (a daily driver for example!

I'm glad I didn't wait for the '23 GLC as the iPad interface would have driven me crazy and the cabin is much tighter than the X3.
Are my observations consistent w/what owners are saying?
Any chance you will get used to the the centre screen as you have more time with the car or you think it will always be a drawback?
Old 11-13-2023, 01:09 PM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Any chance you will get used to the the centre screen as you have more time with the car or you think it will always be a drawback?
It will always be a drawback because:

1) MB has made the center screen equivalent to a smartphone (which you're not supposed to be looking at while driving).
2) The center stack width is a permanent change, which means the tightness around my legs/hip is also permanent.
3) Voice recognition hasn't gotten better exponentially so when car companies say "simply ask Mercedes for help", get ready to be disappointed by your car not getting the request right the first time after you've given up drilling down the menu system in MBUX!

The depths at which car companies are trying to appease Millennials and Gen Z are going to come at a cost. I do expect distracted driving and accidents to go up.
Old 11-13-2023, 01:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,440 Likes on 2,079 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
It will always be a drawback because:

1) MB has made the center screen equivalent to a smartphone (which you're not supposed to be looking at while driving).
2) The center stack width is a permanent change, which means the tightness around my legs/hip is also permanent.
3) Voice recognition hasn't gotten better exponentially so when car companies say "simply ask Mercedes for help", get ready to be disappointed by your car not getting the request right the first time after you've given up drilling down the menu system in MBUX!

The depths at which car companies are trying to appease Millennials and Gen Z are going to come at a cost. I do expect distracted driving and accidents to go up.
Dang that irony...

and ya I mean your points make sense.
EWL5 (11-13-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boxster
So much cut cost they can drive this car themselves. No touchpad, scroll wheels, and or buttons I'm not buying. No joke.
Old 11-20-2023, 10:59 PM

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
Whiners
The following 2 users liked this post by guitarplayer:
Gitzer (11-21-2023), ODB (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 07:44 AM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by guitarplayer
Whiners
How so?
Old 12-14-2023, 08:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2024 GLC 300 4Matic SUV
My wife got her 24 GLC 300 4Matic SUV Pinnacle trim about a week now, voice control has become her best friend. The voice control does almost everything if you know how do ask. Just some example: navigation, zoom in/out, adjust volume, adjust temperature, switch media/channel, check tire pressure, etc.

The liftgate height can be adjusted by using the STOP button. It's more flexible than Lexus's 3 preset height setting.
The following 2 users liked this post by cjc52315:
Alta (12-15-2023), BenjaminKohl (12-16-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 08:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2023 GLC 300, 2021 VW ID4
Originally Posted by cjc52315
My wife got her 24 GLC 300 4Matic SUV Pinnacle trim about a week now, voice control has become her best friend. The voice control does almost everything if you know how do ask. Just some example: navigation, zoom in/out, adjust volume, adjust temperature, switch media/channel, check tire pressure, etc.

The liftgate height can be adjusted by using the STOP button. It's more flexible than Lexus's 3 preset height setting.
More importantly, does Westie like the new Mercedes?
The following 2 users liked this post by Gitzer:
cjc52315 (12-17-2023), EWL5 (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 09:02 AM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by cjc52315

Looks like this might be your first Mercedes so congrats! If your wife is enjoying the voice control, ignore the ChatGPT beta invite (trust me on this...).

My point about the liftgate default max opening is that it's quite a bit higher even than the GLS we currently own (we've known about the custom liftgate stop since our '16 GL450).
Old 12-17-2023, 12:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2023 GLC 300, 2021 VW ID4
[QUOTE=EWL5;8892544]Looks like this might be your first Mercedes so congrats! If your wife is enjoying the voice control, ignore the ChatGPT beta invite (trust me on this...).

I was considering accepting the ChatGPT invite. What don’t you like about it?
Old 12-17-2023, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 976 Likes on 573 Posts
N/A
[QUOTE=Gitzer;8893653]
Looks like this might be your first Mercedes so congrats! If your wife is enjoying the voice control, ignore the ChatGPT beta invite (trust me on this...).

It breaks a lot of commands. Like if you ask it to play music from USB, it will tell you it can't.
Maybe that is fixed now..
EWL5 (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 01:21 PM

'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by Gitzer
1) Just about about any response that requires "thinking" or "creativity" will be delivered to you in the form of a notification that requires yet another touch of the screen (upper right corner for me) before it can be read.
Ironic that a "Mercedes Me" system saying to trust voice commands ultimately wants you to physically touch the screen for ChatGPT responses!

2) The ChatGPT database was limited up to 2021. If you had any destinations created after that, it won't show up (despite your car nav having the latest maps for a MY23 car). It's possible the limitation has been removed by now but I'm rarely asking the car for help.

I'm using the beta on a MY23 GLS w/MBUX 1.0. I can't imagine the functionality being that different on your GLC MBUX 2.0. I would read up some more before pulling the trigger (I believe it's reversible, either way).
Old 12-17-2023, 08:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2023 GLC 300W AMG, Pinnacle, white
[QUOTE=Gitzer;8893653]

I tried it twice and it lasted one day each time.
Basically, she talks too much and I couldn't make this nonsense stop.
EWL5 (12-17-2023)