GLC'23 check engine light is on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 02:59 PM

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by Gitzer
The Blazer is an extreme case.
I had a 2021 Audi A4, custom ordered, that would not start during the first month of ownership, had me stranded. It was flat bedded back to the dealership and had a control board replaced under warranty. Since then I owned it for 13 years, longest I have ever owned a car. I owned it for so long because I enjoyed it so much, drove great, comfortable, interior was beautiful (never looked dated). Point is, these operating and design traits carry more weight for me in my buying decision than the unknown reliability of one particular car compared to another. You can overcome the failure of a component but you can’t change the appeal (or lack of) of a car. Most of the car forums are filled with owners reporting transient problems, even vaunted makes like Genesis. I have not had any problem with my 48V system and I would not tell anybody considering a MB to stay away due to the small number of problems discussed here out of the thousands sold.
I am getting sucked into the online auto forum world. I’ve got to cut this out.
Yeah, it would be nice if it was just the forums.
Have you checked sites like Edmunds where customers post their reviews? The MY23 GLC is averaging 2.8 out of 5 stars over 24 reviews:
https://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-ben...sumer-reviews/

I'm not pushing any brands or cars. My question to everyone is does Mercedes get a pass in light of the initial quality issues folks are reporting?
Old 01-15-2024, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 178 Posts
Trek Bike
[QUOTE=EWL5;8908074]Yeah, it would be nice if it was just the forums.
Have you checked sites like Edmunds where customers post their reviews? The MY23 GLC is averaging 2.8 out of 5 stars over 24 reviews:
https://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-ben...sumer-reviews/

I'm not pushing any brands or cars. My question to everyone is does Mercedes get a pass in light of the initial quality issues folks are reporting?[/QUOTE]

Really, spamming with countless references to CR brand ratings is not “pushing any brand…” LOL

Then what is the driving force and motivation behind crusade against MB?

1. Posting about 48v issues 20 times more than the people impacted? While advertising BMW CR ranking as #1 brand?
2. Collecting statistics - how many owners actually reported issues based on your survey today
https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...ml#post8908033

Too much free time and can’t find anything better to do?
Can you please enlighten us on what are you really trying to accomplish here?
The following users liked this post:
BenjaminKohl (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 05:59 PM

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by 6G Schnell

Too much free time and can’t find anything better to do?
Can you please enlighten us on what are you really trying to accomplish here?
You’re right! I have no business lurking in the GLC thread. I’ll just stay in the GLS thread where I belong. Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited by EWL5; 01-15-2024 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 02:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2023 GLC
Originally Posted by DF777
I purchased my 2023 GLC in May 2023,nothing but problems. Yesterday the check engine light stayed on long enough to get to the dealer so they could physically see it.
The Service Writer had a Tech scan the system and this time its an issue with the 48 Volt System. MB has no fix yet but they can do a workaround by discharging and recharging the 48 volt battery but to
expect the check engine light to come back on until MBUSA can come up with a fix. This issue is for the 2024 model also and any other MB with a 48volt system, so they tell me..
I'm done ! The 2023 has been back to the Dealer over 10 times and they have kept it for a total14 days .No starts, Check Engine Light numerous times,Driver Assist issues, Digital Light problems, Low Oil Pressure warning, Battery Critical charge,48 Volt Issues, MBUX finger print reader inop. bad ground connection on body etc. etc.
This morning I contacted an Attorney that specializes in Lemon Law and they consider I have a case and would like to pursue a Buy Back with no expense to me.
Took to dealer yesterday and waited while they discharged and recharged the batteries. CEL was out when I left the dealership. CEL came back on the next time I started it.
I called dealer service dept. and asked them if I could drop the car off when they have a loaner available and keep the loaner until my car is fixed, they said no, that they would have
to give a loaner to everyone with that problem and they don't have enough cars. They also said that it's not a safety issue and I could stop by the my local Auto Zone to check the code
to make sure the CEL code is for the 48volt issue and not for another problem. If it wasn't so cold here in Ohio I would apply for a Picketing Permit :-)

Old 01-17-2024, 06:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2024 GLC 300 4Matic SUV
Took to dealer yesterday and waited while they discharged and recharged the batteries. CEL was out when I left the dealership. CEL came back on the next time I started it.
I called dealer service dept. and asked them if I could drop the car off when they have a loaner available and keep the loaner until my car is fixed, they said no, that they would have
to give a loaner to everyone with that problem and they don't have enough cars. They also said that it's not a safety issue and I could stop by the my local Auto Zone to check the code
to make sure the CEL code is for the 48volt issue and not for another problem. If it wasn't so cold here in Ohio I would apply for a Picketing Permit :-)
Do you mind sharing the name of the dealership that serves your car? I’m in central Ohio and would like to avoid sending my car there for services.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2023 GLC
Originally Posted by cjc52315
Do you mind sharing the name of the dealership that serves your car? I’m in central Ohio and would like to avoid sending my car there for services.
I would prefer not to name them but they are south of Cleveland and north of Akron. My vehicle was dealer traded from MB of Ea***n. My dealer received it without a second set of keys,
no all weather mats, First Aid kit missing and a 2022 Owner's Manual. It took a few weeks for me to get the second set of keys. No more MB for me.
Old 01-27-2024, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2023 GLC300
GLC'23 check engine light is on

2023 GLC300 with 2500 miles. Last week got the check engine light. I checked the gas cap but it was not the issue. Got an appointment to take car into dealership. Before I was able to get the car in, the ABS, traction control and a couple of other lights came on. They looked at the code and said it was a bad wheel speed sensor. Had to order part which arrived the next day. It was installed and was then told it was a faulty brand new part. Ordered another speed sensor along with a wheel bearing(?). Three days later and after several unresponsive calls to dealer and no loaner. they finally called and said car was done. When I picked the car up they said that they replaced the right front wheel bearing. How does a wheel bearing fail after 2500 miles? I was also sold that the check engine light was still on due to a problem with the 48v system and they currently have no fix. They said they had 5 other cars with same problem. I was assured that the car was safe to drive. I am glad it is under warranty, but I sure don't have a warm and fuzzy about this car doing forward. It is a shame. This is my first MB and I really love this car
Old 03-22-2024, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
GLC
I have never disabled the start/stop feature. I use the Comfort Mode and on weekdays I drive an average of 15 minutes per trip.
I'm sure my driving pattern does not help with the 48 volt issue, but MBUSA admits they have a problem with the 48 volt system and they have no fix at this
time. According to the Dealer it's not just the 2023 GLC but 2024's and other models affected.
I have owned 12 vehicles in the last 14 years since I retired. This 2023 GLC has more problems than all the others combined. The 2022 GLC that I traded for this car
only went back to the dealer for the Service A at a year old. When I bought the 2023 with all the features I could not get on the 2022 I thought this will be my last car
and keep it until I can no longer drive. I am very disappointed with the attitude of the MB Dealers and MBUSA ,they do not understand the importance of good customer service.

I have a 2024 GLC 300, purchased in November of 23 within the first 300 mi I had a fan fan on at full speed that would not stop., then of course it went away and was left with an engine light, then within a few weeks I was left stranded with multiple warning messages on the dashboard had to have it towed. They did software updates within a few weeks it all happened again only this time I was able to start the car after waiting for about 4 hours. I was experiencing off and on 12-volt battery messages on my Mercedes app. I drive the card daily, I have read all of the blogs from these forums about turning this off or that off or putting it in standby mode blah blah blah blah. At the end of the day you should be able to pull your car in the garage get out leave it unlocked and go in the house and not worry about it.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2023 GLC 300, 2021 VW ID4
Originally Posted by GLCmiked
I have a 2024 GLC 300, purchased in November of 23 within the first 300 mi I had a fan fan on at full speed that would not stop., then of course it went away and was left with an engine light, then within a few weeks I was left stranded with multiple warning messages on the dashboard had to have it towed. They did software updates within a few weeks it all happened again only this time I was able to start the car after waiting for about 4 hours. I was experiencing off and on 12-volt battery messages on my Mercedes app. I drive the card daily, I have read all of the blogs from these forums about turning this off or that off or putting it in standby mode blah blah blah blah. At the end of the day you should be able to pull your car in the garage get out leave it unlocked and go in the house and not worry about it.
I have been having all the battery low messages, fooled around with the stand-by mode and trickle charged it, taken it in to the dealer three times and you are right, we should be able to just park in the garage and not think about it anymore. But I just want to pass on that the last time my car was at the dealer about a month ago they did a software update of the four door modules. In another GLC forum someone said this was the fix. Since then I have not had any problems. Maybe this will be the fix. We shall see, I will report back if it is not.