GLC Class (X254) Produced 2023+

Does MBUX send telematics data back to the mother ship?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 01:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC300
Does MBUX send telematics data back to the mother ship?

There was an article in the NYT yesterday how a guy saw his insurance rate go up unexpectedly across all providers. He was able to trace it to a decision by GM to sell telemetry data to LexisNexis which in turn soldmit to insurance companies as a FICO score of sorts.

Now it turns out that Ford has been in the same business since 2020. When I went looking through the settings I discovered that this feature has been enabled on my Bronco which gives Ford pretty broad powers to eff me over

As a CA resident I have requested my report from NexisLexis and have also requested that they stop collecting future data and delete whatever data they have on me.

Now I am worried that my wife's GLC is pulling a similar trick and MB may have exhibited the same poor judgement as Ford and GM. What is the best way to kill all telematics data transmission.on the GLC. Software options? Pull a fuse on the telematics unit? I can easily live without OTA and I am not paying for other connected services anyway.
​​​
Old 03-13-2024, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 970 Likes on 745 Posts
G550
When you sign into apps such as MercedesMe or myBMW, and you see all the statistics about your vehicle, such as its mileage, GPS coordinates, door lock status, etc., it doesn't take much imagination to ask yourself "I wonder if they're tracking my cellphone use and listening to my conversations too?" And some car companies like MB expect you to pay them for this.
The following users liked this post:
OldManAndHisCar (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 GLC 300 SUV, 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster, 2006 Lexus RX400h
There’s a setting in the app to to allow analytics, turn it off.
Old 03-13-2024, 10:28 PM

Received 191 Likes on 142 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
Originally Posted by schvamf
There’s a setting in the app to to allow analytics, turn it off.
Sure there is. Want it off? Nix the cellular card...soldering iron and 20min
Old 03-14-2024, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Future GLC 300
Originally Posted by streborx
When you sign into apps such as MercedesMe or myBMW, and you see all the statistics about your vehicle, such as its mileage, GPS coordinates, door lock status, etc., it doesn't take much imagination to ask yourself "I wonder if they're tracking my cellphone use and listening to my conversations too?" And some car companies like MB expect you to pay them for this.
I understand Walmart has a special on tin foil hats. Buy 2 and get 1 free! Share them with all your family members or give some to your conspiracy loving friends.
Seriously folks, you're better off buying a well-maintained 1984 Buick with no telematics, no OTA updates (no soul for that matter) if you feel like Big Brother's all seeing eyes are too much to handle. It's the world we live in now. I for one don't let it bother me in the slightest because our time on Earth is too precious to be wasted worrying about "muh privacee". I've avoided a lot of ulcers that way.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Paradocks
I understand Walmart has a special on tin foil hats. Buy 2 and get 1 free! Share them with all your family members or give some to your conspiracy loving friends.
Seriously folks, you're better off buying a well-maintained 1984 Buick with no telematics, no OTA updates (no soul for that matter) if you feel like Big Brother's all seeing eyes are too much to handle. It's the world we live in now. I for one don't let it bother me in the slightest because our time on Earth is too precious to be wasted worrying about "muh privacee". I've avoided a lot of ulcers that way.

I am an IT Security guy for a living. I see every day what "they" are collecting. I do not need a tin foil hat to know that I will not allow an Alexa, AirWhat ever, or a voice remote in my home. I have fired more than one person for bringing devices that listen into our offices. At the office all phones are kept in (Steel) lockers...staff get two strikes (strike one phone must be left in their vehicle). Let there be no question that "They" know where you are, what you do and how you think. No, I am not on a (worthless) VPN to get on the web ;-)

I do like how on the screen image of the OP it references a website and does not offer the URL.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 970 Likes on 745 Posts
G550
All this privacy invasion has one objective -- shoving targeted advertising at you 24/7/365 (366 this year). This is how Google earns its billions $$$. I find it creepy to find advertising on my web browser reflecting a conversation I had 2 hours ago.
The following users liked this post:
OldManAndHisCar (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by streborx
All this privacy invasion has one objective -- shoving targeted advertising at you 24/7/365 (366 this year). This is how Google earns its billions $$$. I find it creepy to find advertising on my web browser reflecting a conversation I had 2 hours ago.

It is far deeper than that. For instance, a city in Florida has a "Free Internet" for anyone in many of the regional city parks. The city is also an ISP (that to me is also a stretch as the city itself is also the largest ISP). The city pulls no punches, it is running DPI (Deep Packet Inspection) on all traffic on the guest (and ISP) networks. The city and county have been using warrantless internet traffic to feed some of the local law enforcement. Governments have historically with out warrants had access to information from ISP and cellular providers wtih or with out a warrant. Now, remove the third party and search for content part of the EULA and this is a 100% Hitler and Orwell approved measure to control a population base. Add to that the images from cars (Teslas and other EV) that historically have not required warrants to access images from the vehicles while in public....

May still be there...but in PA there was a toll that if you went from one toll to the other toll too fast you had to pay the toll and a speeding ticket....we are just a bit further down that toll road and your freedoms are eroding as fast as Gretta Thunbergs mental wellbeing.
Old 03-14-2024, 06:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts
2023 C Class
Of course they collect data. They sell it too.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ca...anies-44505718
The following 2 users liked this post by giovane:
Caneman88 (03-14-2024), OldManAndHisCar (03-14-2024)