GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Can you race a GLC AMG Edition 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2018 | 06:59 PM

Can you race a GLC AMG Edition 1

I'm just wondering is the GLC AMG Edition 1 capable of being tracked / raced? Or is is the whole racing interior / exterior design just cosmetic?

I drive an M3 and that car can definetly do track racing, and its a nice car to throw into a nice turn. Especially those freeway offramps / onramps that go in a circle that allow you to go 35-40 mph, those are my favorite things to put my M3 through. I have scared a few friends doing those types of turns haha.

But just drove my mom's new GLC AMG Edition 1, it's pretty nice. But the seating is aggressive, like with lumbar support like if this car was supposed to be thrown into turns. But there is a warning saying this car has a high roll over risk (with the car tipping over symbol). So can this car really do true racing and be thrown into a turn at high speeds? Lumbar support is good if you're being thrown around corners, but it's pointless and takes away comfort if you're just commuting. I am wondering why this car has lumbar seating if there is a warning stating this car has a high roll over risk. But then, a sport SUV can haul more stuff than a two seat sports car.

I've only driven this once so far. My mom was in the car and she gets angry if the car gets thrown around. And this thing kinda lags when trying to accelerate compared to the M3. I'm just wondering what a sports SUV tries to accomplish, because this car is slow for an AMG. My dad had a Mercedes E55 AMG back around 2000, and I think that car was still faster than this current gen AMG SUV. And I think that car had the right amount of normal car feel that didn't have an overly aggressive seat. That car had really good leather, even when it aged and became a 10-12 year old car around 2010-2012 before my dad sold it.

I feel the Tesla Model X was alot faster, even faster than the M3. But I think my parents don't have full faith in electric cars as of now, and my mom thinks autopilot will kill you.

So yeah, are sport car sedans just for looks? Or for people who want an SUV, but still want it to feel like a sports car? If you need to win a race with crazy turns and you can only choose from AMG coupes, sedans, or SUVs, which one would be the best? And no supercar AMGs, only the AMGs that have base non AMG models.

I guess to me, this GLC AMG Editiion 1 fantacizes of the idea of racing for the normal person. The race interior is cool, but I think they could have made a less aggressive seat and toned down on the lumbar support. I doubt anyone really needs to have lumbar support in an SUV with a high roll over risk. I'm sure the SUV will roll over before lumbar support would be useful.

Last edited by JetFalcon; 10-05-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2018 | 11:10 PM

'18 Black GLC63S
JetFalcon I’m not sure if you are trolling or not but you must be mistaken. I have no idea what you are experiencing but it’s not lag. This car doesn’t have lag. Your M3 has lag, I’ve driven one, and hard. The GLC63S will take the M3 in a straight line all the way from 0-60 through the quarter mile. I’d suggest you pull up the Car & Driver articles and read the lightning lap review. This car posted a faster slalom than the E63S and matched the new M5, both sedans that clearly outpace the M3. No debating the M3 as a drivers car built to be pushed on the track. But there are a few folks on the forum with 63s that if you pulled up to at a light, would show you what a 4,500 pound titan can do. Love the M3, not really a proper comparison. Try harder.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nationalleaguer:
psychlox (10-06-2018), scotchy (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018 | 11:41 PM

It will for sure flip over before the side lumbar is useful. Best let your mom keep the keys.
The following 3 users liked this post by scotchy:
hadam3 (10-08-2018), Mr. J (10-06-2018), viper3ez (10-06-2018)
Old 10-05-2018 | 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nationalleaguer
JetFalcon I’m not sure if you are trolling or not but you must be mistaken. I have no idea what you are experiencing but it’s not lag. This car doesn’t have lag. Your M3 has lag, I’ve driven one, and hard. The GLC63S will take the M3 in a straight line all the way from 0-60 through the quarter mile. I’d suggest you pull up the Car & Driver articles and read the lightning lap review. This car posted a faster slalom than the E63S and matched the new M5, both sedans that clearly outpace the M3. No debating the M3 as a drivers car built to be pushed on the track. But there are a few folks on the forum with 63s that if you pulled up to at a light, would show you what a 4,500 pound titan can do. Love the M3, not really a proper comparison. Try harder.
I've had a few weeks this year with my brother-in-laws M4 with ultimate package/fully optioned. Fun, fast car, faster than my 43 (when dry) but I agree, quite a bit of lag. I can only imagine how much faster your 63 is! And easier to drive. As fun/flashy/noisy as the M4 is I much prefer my car for a daily.
Old 10-06-2018 | 12:22 PM

S550
Originally Posted by JetFalcon
I'm just wondering is the GLC AMG Edition 1 capable of being tracked / raced? Or is is the whole racing interior / exterior design just cosmetic?

I drive an M3 and that car can definetly do track racing, and its a nice car to throw into a nice turn. Especially those freeway offramps / onramps that go in a circle that allow you to go 35-40 mph, those are my favorite things to put my M3 through. I have scared a few friends doing those types of turns haha.

But just drove my mom's new GLC AMG Edition 1, it's pretty nice. But the seating is aggressive, like with lumbar support like if this car was supposed to be thrown into turns. But there is a warning saying this car has a high roll over risk (with the car tipping over symbol). So can this car really do true racing and be thrown into a turn at high speeds? Lumbar support is good if you're being thrown around corners, but it's pointless and takes away comfort if you're just commuting. I am wondering why this car has lumbar seating if there is a warning stating this car has a high roll over risk. But then, a sport SUV can haul more stuff than a two seat sports car.

I've only driven this once so far. My mom was in the car and she gets angry if the car gets thrown around. And this thing kinda lags when trying to accelerate compared to the M3. I'm just wondering what a sports SUV tries to accomplish, because this car is slow for an AMG. My dad had a Mercedes E55 AMG back around 2000, and I think that car was still faster than this current gen AMG SUV. And I think that car had the right amount of normal car feel that didn't have an overly aggressive seat. That car had really good leather, even when it aged and became a 10-12 year old car around 2010-2012 before my dad sold it.

I feel the Tesla Model X was alot faster, even faster than the M3. But I think my parents don't have full faith in electric cars as of now, and my mom thinks autopilot will kill you.

So yeah, are sport car sedans just for looks? Or for people who want an SUV, but still want it to feel like a sports car? If you need to win a race with crazy turns and you can only choose from AMG coupes, sedans, or SUVs, which one would be the best? And no supercar AMGs, only the AMGs that have base non AMG models.

I guess to me, this GLC AMG Editiion 1 fantacizes of the idea of racing for the normal person. The race interior is cool, but I think they could have made a less aggressive seat and toned down on the lumbar support. I doubt anyone really needs to have lumbar support in an SUV with a high roll over risk. I'm sure the SUV will roll over before lumbar support would be useful.
This was a little hard to read.. what exactly are you asking?

Everything said here is subjective; of course you can track a "GLC AMG"...because you can take it to a track...just like anything else...

If your question is will it perform well on the track...well yes, of course it will. It's literally designed to be a performance vehicle...?

Also I do not think lumbar support means what you think it means.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tacocat:
psychlox (10-08-2018), viper3ez (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018 | 06:41 PM

Check out Car and Driver lightning lap results. The GLC63 has no problem hanging with your M3 and would absolutely destroy an E55. I’m hugely impressed with the GLC63.
Old 10-06-2018 | 08:23 PM

GLC63
Originally Posted by Tacocat
This was a little hard to read.. what exactly are you asking?

Everything said here is subjective; of course you can track a "GLC AMG"...because you can take it to a track...just like anything else...

If your question is will it perform well on the track...well yes, of course it will. It's literally designed to be a performance vehicle...?

Also I do not think lumbar support means what you think it means.
Yesah, i am going to just assume we are talking to a teenage kid here trying to sound grown with M3 probably being his or her daddy's car

that said, i kept wondering what the relationship is with lumber support and racing. I am pretty certain there has been a confusion with the side bolsters and the lumber support. even then, anything that is not a 1955 Chevy with bench seat now has some level of lumber support and side bolsters.
Old 10-07-2018 | 12:51 AM

GLC63 2019
Yeah don’t even try...
Old 10-07-2018 | 02:24 AM

That’s a GLE, not a GLC. Very different driving experience.
Old 10-07-2018 | 07:43 PM

GLC AMG 63
Correct GLC 63 will leave a M4 ........just got rid of the M4, and got the GLC for the wife. Hands down more fun than the M4 sad to say .....

Last edited by Maverick787; 10-07-2018 at 07:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maverick787:
Nationalleaguer (10-08-2018), scotchy (10-09-2018)