GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Wireless Carplay/Airplay for 2019 GLC or below

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 07:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'16 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by LenniePaz
Yes, I've chosen the right port. Like I said, music apps within Carplay work fine. I'm really confused about connecting wired instead of wirelessly. When I plug my iPhone into the USB port that goes to the box, do I have to do anything to get to Carplay? Should I disable Bluetooth so it doesn't connect through the Bluetooth, and uses the wired connection instead? I'm using an iPhone 13 Pro Max.
I thought you needed to have AUX selected for sound to work? That's how mine is. Also, if your phone is connected via a data transfer cable, then you'll run into issues because it's connecting to the Mercedes system. I ended up buying
these these
so I could still charge my phone.

Side note, does anyone have the issue with going from Park to Drive and the front camera not turning on? Mine only does it if I go into reverse first and then drive.

Nino
Old 06-02-2022, 09:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GLC 43
If I remember correctly the 3.5mm adapter has one end that plugs into the USB port of the car, the other end you connect the 3.5mm cable to it. I have the USB cable connect to my USB cable interface #1 of the car. If I disconnect it the sound via wireless CarPlay stops.

I have selected media interface #1 within the Mercedes-Benz interface and sound plays.

As far as wired vs wireless, if you have wireless CarPlay turned in it will connect to your phone that way first. If you connect the USB cable afterwards it will just charge, no data to the module. If you want to always connect with the USB cable then you need to either turn off wireless CarPlay, not pair the phone to the CarPlay module, or turn off Bluetooth after you connect the USB cable to dump the wireless connection and the system to fallback to the USB connection.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC300
Originally Posted by Regis
If I remember correctly the 3.5mm adapter has one end that plugs into the USB port of the car, the other end you connect the 3.5mm cable to it. I have the USB cable connect to my USB cable interface #1 of the car. If I disconnect it the sound via wireless CarPlay stops.

I have selected media interface #1 within the Mercedes-Benz interface and sound plays.

As far as wired vs wireless, if you have wireless CarPlay turned in it will connect to your phone that way first. If you connect the USB cable afterwards it will just charge, no data to the module. If you want to always connect with the USB cable then you need to either turn off wireless CarPlay, not pair the phone to the CarPlay module, or turn off Bluetooth after you connect the USB cable to dump the wireless connection and the system to fallback to the USB connection.
Yes, that's how I have the 3.5mm adapter connected. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible for my wife. I'd love for her to get in the car, plug her phone into the USB cable, and have Carplay come right up and work properly. I'm having trouble accomplishing that. Should I be able to make it work that simple, or will she still have to press some buttons to get Carplay to come up and work properly?
Old 06-02-2022, 05:39 PM

GLC 43
You don't have to do anything if your phone is within Bluetooth range when you start the vehicle. Once I start my vehicle the Mercedes-Benz interface loads and a few seconds later the CarPlay module loads, I briefly see its menu followed by the CarPlay interface. If I switch back into anything Mercedes-Benz, such as navigation or the vehicle settings I must press and hold the favorites button until it switches back to the CarPlay interface.

If you chose to use the USB cable instead of wireless CarPlay I would suggest you not pair the phone to the CarPlay module and instead plug the phone to the USB cable after starting the car.
Old 06-02-2022, 05:56 PM

GLC300
You don't have to do anything if your phone is within Bluetooth range when you start the vehicle. Once I start my vehicle the Mercedes-Benz interface loads and a few seconds later the CarPlay module loads, I briefly see its menu followed by the CarPlay interface. If I switch back into anything Mercedes-Benz, such as navigation or the vehicle settings I must press and hold the favorites button until it switches back to the CarPlay interface.

If you chose to use the USB cable instead of wireless CarPlay I would suggest you not pair the phone to the CarPlay module and instead plug the phone to the USB cable after starting the car.
I wish mine worked that easy. I have to press the star button to get Carplay to come on, and then go to the USB input to get sound. Is there a setting I'm missing that makes Carplay come right on when the phone connects?
Old 06-02-2022, 06:02 PM

GLC 43
I wish mine worked that easy. I have to press the star button to get Carplay to come on, and then go to the USB input to get sound. Is there a setting I'm missing that makes Carplay come right on when the phone connects?
Are you trying to use wireless or wired? There are some settings you will have to check on your iPhone.

Check Settings > General > CarPlay (select the applicable "car") and toggle on; you also have to enable Siri in the Settings menu.

The Star/Favorites button you have to press if you exit the CarPlay interface and enter the Mercedes-Benz interface, that is how you get back to it (CarPlay).
Old 06-02-2022, 07:25 PM

GLC300
Are you trying to use wireless or wired? There are some settings you will have to check on your iPhone.

Check Settings > General > CarPlay (select the applicable "car") and toggle on; you also have to enable Siri in the Settings menu.

The Star/Favorites button you have to press if you exit the CarPlay interface and enter the Mercedes-Benz interface, that is how you get back to it (CarPlay).
Yes, I'm trying to use Carplay wirelessly. I just checked my Carplay settings on my iPhone, and the only "car" in there is called ICar. Is that what the unit should show up as? The Siri setting you are referring to is on my iPhone, or in the Carplay settings? Thank you so much for trying to help me out.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:56 PM

GLC 43
Yes, I'm trying to use Carplay wirelessly. I just checked my Carplay settings on my iPhone, and the only "car" in there is called ICar. Is that what the unit should show up as? The Siri setting you are referring to is on my iPhone, or in the Carplay settings? Thank you so much for trying to help me out.
Mine is also called “Car”, go in there and make sure it is toggled on. Siri setting on the phone. You welcome
Old 06-02-2022, 07:59 PM

GLC300
This is the screen I get everytime I start the car up. I always have to press the star to get to Carplay.
Old 06-02-2022, 08:09 PM

GLC300
Mine is also called “Car”, go in there and make sure it is toggled on. Siri setting on the phone. You welcome
"Car" is toggled on in Carplay settings on my iPhone. I do have the Bermester audio system. Is there any chance that's why Carplay doesn't start right up when I start the car?
Old 06-02-2022, 08:22 PM

GLC 43
"Car" is toggled on in Carplay settings on my iPhone. I do have the Bermester audio system. Is there any chance that's why Carplay doesn't start right up when I start the car?
i also have Burmester audio system and mine connects automatically. I’m running out of possible solutions, PM me.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:08 AM

GLC300
Has anyone had any luck getting Airplay to work? When I connect to Airplay, I get a black screen.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:26 PM

GLC 43
Has anyone had any luck getting Airplay to work? When I connect to Airplay, I get a black screen.
Same with mine.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:31 PM

GLC300
Same with mine.
My wife has the exact same iPhone as me, and when I tried her phone, it worked. Make sure you are connected to the Carplay WiFi. I have no idea why her phone works and mine doesn't.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz GLA 250
Installation

If you install anything will this void vehicle warranty?

Last edited by Cherylpg; 06-20-2022 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:51 PM

GLC 43
Originally Posted by Cherylpg
If you install anything will this void vehicle warranty?
I can't speak for the dealer, but I will tell you that my service advisor knows it's there and he hasn't warned me about anything. I imagine it could, maybe, perhaps be an issue if ever there is a problem with for example the audio system since you have to mess with it, but they have a guy that will install them (3rd party CarPlay modules) for their customers he said.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:32 PM

GLC300
Out of nowhere I keep getting this message and I have to re-pair my iPhone. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 07-10-2022, 07:37 PM

GLC 43
@LenniePaz It happens to me sometimes, but I have noticed that it is after a few unsuccessful attempts between the phone and CarPlay module. For example, if I start the car and the phone is not nearby after several times of doing that iOS will display the same message you posted. As long as the phone is near (within Bluetooth range, or inside the car) when the system starts up I have no issues.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:38 PM

GLC300
Is there a quick workaround other than re-pairing the phone? Maybe turn off Bluetooth on the iPhone and turn it back on?
Old 07-10-2022, 07:40 PM

GLC 43
Is there a quick workaround other than re-pairing the phone? Maybe turn off Bluetooth on the iPhone and turn it back on?
Not that I’ve found, other than making sure the phone is within Bluetooth range when starting the car.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:47 PM

GLC300
Okay, thanks !
Old 07-17-2022, 11:35 PM

GLC300
When I'm using Google Maps and SiriusXM in Carplay, the voice directions are much lower than the music volume when the directions are spoken. Is there a way to set the voice directions to their own volume that stays the same no matter what the volume is set to for SiriusXM? I can't seem to accomplish that.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:30 PM

GLC 43
When I'm using Google Maps and SiriusXM in Carplay, the voice directions are much lower than the music volume when the directions are spoken. Is there a way to set the voice directions to their own volume that stays the same no matter what the volume is set to for SiriusXM? I can't seem to accomplish that.
Within the CarPlay module go to 'Setup' → 'Audio' and adjust 'Volume' and 'Alter Volume' as desired.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:49 PM

GLC300
Within the CarPlay module go to 'Setup' → 'Audio' and adjust 'Volume' and 'Alter Volume' as desired.
When you say "Alter Volume", you mean adjust one of the volumes in there, correct? Or is there a setting called "Alter Volume"? Also, I'm confused how those volume settings work. If I adjust the Voice volume, should the volume stay the same in Google Maps? I was hoping that's how it works, but as I turn up the volume on the radio, Google Maps directions get louder too. Carplay in my work van works like this: when I set the volume for Voice,lets say 10, the volume stays at that level no matter what. If I'm listening to music and using Google Maps at the same time, and I turn the music up, the voice in Google Maps stays at 10 all the time.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011e550c
nice work OP! using the usb for audio? any complaints? hows the music quality?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wireless Carplay/Airplay for 2019 GLC or below