GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Wireless Carplay/Airplay for 2019 GLC or below

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 02:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GLC 43
Originally Posted by LenniePaz
When you say "Alter Volume", you mean adjust one of the volumes in there, correct? Or is there a setting called "Alter Volume"? Also, I'm confused how those volume settings work. If I adjust the Voice volume, should the volume stay the same in Google Maps? I was hoping that's how it works, but as I turn up the volume on the radio, Google Maps directions get louder too. Carplay in my work van works like this: when I set the volume for Voice,lets say 10, the volume stays at that level no matter what. If I'm listening to music and using Google Maps at the same time, and I turn the music up, the voice in Google Maps stays at 10 all the time.
Within the CarPlay module interface, within the settings there are several for audio. If I remember correctly there are settings for alerts, voice, music, and an overall one. You have to play with the settings until you find the levels that work for you. I can't speak to how your work van works since this is not a factory system...
Old 09-05-2022, 02:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 Mercedes benz ML350 4Matic
This is an amazing write up!!
I hope someone can help me. I installed the same system, same name brand for my 2013 Mercedes Benz ML350.
Road Top name brand but the kit I purchased was for my ML Model.
So everything works well, no complaints. HOWEVER, I have run into a very strange problem that I am unable to resolve so hoping someone can help.
Prior to installing the kit, under my AUDIO selection options, I was able to select AM Radio, FM Radio, Disc, SAT(Sirius Radio).
We always kept our AUDIO selection to SAT as we used Sirius XM radio 100% of the time. The reason for buying this kit was to get the advantages of Apple Car Play and use the latest updated google maps for Navigation as the vehicles Navigation was outdated.
So with saying that, after installing our kit, we wanted to make sure that if we just wanted to use SAT(Satellite Sirius Radio). We went to AUDIO on the radio to choose SAT but it was gone.
I know you have to have the AUX selected to make this new kit work so I'm good there. I'm referring to not being able to use the stock radio to select Sirius XM (SAT).
This is awful as let's say we don't want to use Apple CarPlay for whatever reason, we should be able to use the stock radio for SAT(Sirius Radio)
3 Questions:
Any suggestions on how to get the SAT option back to our AUDIO selection menu?
Anyone know where the Sirius XM Satellite Tuner/Module is located so I can unplug it, reset and hope the SAT option re-appears to the audio selection?
Did the original person who wrote this thread lose his SAT option through Audio?
Thank you!!
Anthony
Old 09-05-2022, 03:04 PM

GLC 43
The original post with the instructions/pictures is actually from the maker of the CarPlay kit. I have to select Media 1 (or Media 2 depending which one is connected to the CarPlay module), so it’s very possible the CarPlay kit for your model uses the Satellite option since you didn’t mention any other interfaces being an option would be my guess.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:07 PM

I have to select AUX on the Audio vehicle selection to make the CarPlay which works perfect.
may concern is I lost my SAT option under the Audio selection AFTER installing the CarPlay kit. Appreciate your response!
Old 09-05-2022, 08:10 PM

GLC 43
It’s very possible the CarPlay ovule is using the Satellite interface/mode to communicate with the car. You can revert everything back to factory to see if the Satellite menu is enabled. If that’s the case it looks to me like you will have to chose which one you truly want.

You could aslso try the SiriusXM app to CarPlay as an alternative.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:15 PM

I never thought to bring everything back to the way it was..
If the SAT option appears back in the car's audio selections its the carplay kit I installed that caused it to disappear. Good call!
Yes, so far Im using the XM app through carplay, getting used it actually, thx for replying!
Old 09-06-2022, 08:14 PM

Ok, I wanted to check back in to let you guys know I completely uninstalled the Road Top Apple Carplay kit.
I installed everything back to the way it was when SAT was in the Audio drop down options.
Unfortunately the SAT Satellite Radio option is still gone from the Audio options. It was a great suggestion to bring everything back to the way it was and eliminate the carplay kit.
It was all plug and play, no cutting of wires etc.
Extremely odd. Is there a setting somewhere within the comand system where SAT could have been disconnected?
I would really like to know the location of the sirius xm tuner. Then I can go through a hard reset on the unit to see if the SAT than resets.
Thx
Old 09-07-2022, 01:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC300
Are you guys connecting Bluetooth to the Mercedes? When I pair my iPhone to the Mercedes Bluetooth so my calls sound better, I'm not getting voice directions from Google Maps when using Carplay. The other thing I like about being connected to the Mercedes Bluetooth is that the music apps in Carplay sound SO much better. If I could just get voice directions in Google Maps then I'd be a happy camper.
​​​​​​​
Old 09-11-2022, 10:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'17 GLC43
Originally Posted by awbooth
Ok, I wanted to check back in to let you guys know I completely uninstalled the Road Top Apple Carplay kit.
I installed everything back to the way it was when SAT was in the Audio drop down options.
Unfortunately the SAT Satellite Radio option is still gone from the Audio options. It was a great suggestion to bring everything back to the way it was and eliminate the carplay kit.
It was all plug and play, no cutting of wires etc.
Extremely odd. Is there a setting somewhere within the comand system where SAT could have been disconnected?
I would really like to know the location of the sirius xm tuner. Then I can go through a hard reset on the unit to see if the SAT than resets.
Thx
In my vehicle, the Sat option is under Radio. It shows as if it was an additional band other than AM and FM. I checked and its still available and working, although I don’t pay for the subscription so all I hear is the “demo” station.

Regarding the Bluetooth, unfortunately, Apple wont let you route the audio of “music” apps to any other output other than CarPlay, when its connected. I would like that too. Same goes to the directions you get from maps. Waze has an option on the menu but it doesn’t work.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:07 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by jolugo
In my vehicle, the Sat option is under Radio. It shows as if it was an additional band other than AM and FM. I checked and its still available and working, although I don’t pay for the subscription so all I hear is the “demo” station.

Regarding the Bluetooth, unfortunately, Apple wont let you route the audio of “music” apps to any other output other than CarPlay, when its connected. I would like that too. Same goes to the directions you get from maps. Waze has an option on the menu but it doesn’t work.
So do you have your phone connected to the Mercedes Bluetooth too or just the module Bluetooth?
Old 09-21-2022, 10:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'17 GLC43
Yes, its connected to both, the MB Bluetooth for phone calls. It sounds much better than routing the call through the module. It needs to connect to the module to launch CarPlay wirelessly.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:27 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by jolugo
Yes, its connected to both, the MB Bluetooth for phone calls. It sounds much better than routing the call through the module. It needs to connect to the module to launch CarPlay wirelessly.
I've tried having both connections but the Mercedes Bluetooth seems to take priority when I get in the car and Carplay doesn't load up automatically. I have to disconnect the Mercedes Bluetooth so the Bluetooth on the Carplay module can connect. If I delete the Mercedes Bluetooth connection the Carplay module loads up immediately when I get in the car.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes V 22d
Annoying issue

Guys, you are my last hope.

Carplay is working fine. My iPhone connected to MB bluetooth and Carplay bluetooth. I get sound from spotify and calls within Carplay over BT Audio. But no spoken directions from navigation apps. When I switch to Media Interface with the audio aux plugged in, I see that something is playing but no sound.

Is it an issue with the Carplay box or is the Media Interface broken? My technician says that he had plugged in the fiber optic because Carplay wouldn't work at all without it. But when I read the post I see that this could be the reason for my audio problems.

Your help is highly appreciated!

Old 09-27-2022, 09:29 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by Phazz333
Guys, you are my last hope.

Carplay is working fine. My iPhone connected to MB bluetooth and Carplay bluetooth. I get sound from spotify and calls within Carplay over BT Audio. But no spoken directions from navigation apps. When I switch to Media Interface with the audio aux plugged in, I see that something is playing but no sound.

Is it an issue with the Carplay box or is the Media Interface broken? My technician says that he had plugged in the fiber optic because Carplay wouldn't work at all without it. But when I read the post I see that this could be the reason for my audio problems.

Your help is highly appreciated!
Try flipping the optical cable. It's 2 wires that are together and your technician may have put it in the plug the wrong way. I know this because I accidentally did it and had no sound. When I flipped it, I got sound.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:27 PM

GLC300
I just received my first phone call in the vehicle today. I tried answering with the button on the steering wheel and the answer button that comes up on the screen. Neither worked and I had to answer using my phone. Is this normal? The conversation did come through the speakers after I answered using my phone.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:41 PM

GLC 43
I stopped using the Wireless Carplay feature because when I park the car in the garage and my phone is nearby periodically when the car does "car stuff" the module powers up and the phone connects to the car, a bit annoying when playing music on the phone...

Let me share my experience for the last few comments I read.

The fiber optic plug needs to be plugged in as mentioned, otherwise you will not get any sound at all, also happened to me.

Your phone can be connected to both Mercedes-Benz and CarPlay module via Bluetooth for phone purposes. The connection to the Mercedes-Benz Bluetooth interface does sound better, as well as the audio. I think the DAC that comes with the kit is not as good quality (also remember it's actually an analog connection, the 3.5mm Aux).

In order to hear Apple Maps and Music applications you have to make sure you select the correct interface in the Mercedes-Benz menu. I connected my CarPlay module to USB interface 2 and if I don't select that in the Mercedes-Benz menu there will be no sound.

I have been using the CarPlay module only via cable when I do use it and disconnected my phone from it (the wireless option) so at least that solves my problem of the random connections to the car when it does "car stuff".
Old 10-15-2022, 12:46 PM

GLC 43
Originally Posted by LenniePaz
I just received my first phone call in the vehicle today. I tried answering with the button on the steering wheel and the answer button that comes up on the screen. Neither worked and I had to answer using my phone. Is this normal? The conversation did come through the speakers after I answered using my phone.
Not normal, could be just a momentary bug.
Old 10-15-2022, 01:18 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by Regis
I stopped using the Wireless Carplay feature because when I park the car in the garage and my phone is nearby periodically when the car does "car stuff" the module powers up and the phone connects to the car, a bit annoying when playing music on the phone...

Let me share my experience for the last few comments I read.

The fiber optic plug needs to be plugged in as mentioned, otherwise you will not get any sound at all, also happened to me.

Your phone can be connected to both Mercedes-Benz and CarPlay module via Bluetooth for phone purposes. The connection to the Mercedes-Benz Bluetooth interface does sound better, as well as the audio. I think the DAC that comes with the kit is not as good quality (also remember it's actually an analog connection, the 3.5mm Aux).

In order to hear Apple Maps and Music applications you have to make sure you select the correct interface in the Mercedes-Benz menu. I connected my CarPlay module to USB interface 2 and if I don't select that in the Mercedes-Benz menu there will be no sound.

I have been using the CarPlay module only via cable when I do use it and disconnected my phone from it (the wireless option) so at least that solves my problem of the random connections to the car when it does "car stuff".
I've found that if I have my phone connected to the unit and MB Bluetooth, MB Bluetooth takes over first when I get in the car. I manually have to go to Carplay by pressing the star button and I also have to choose the input the unit is using in order to get sound. I don't like using MB Blutooth for sound when using Carplay because you don't get sound when using Maps.
Old 10-15-2022, 01:22 PM

GLC300
Also, this is what tech support says to answer calls when using Carplay. I'll give it a shot and report back.
Old 10-15-2022, 01:23 PM

GLC 43
I've never really payed attention to which one connects first, but do know that as long as the phone is nearby by it will load CarPlay automatically, without having to press the star button. Choosing the correct input is a must, just have to decide what you want to do, keeping in mind this is a third party accessory.
Old 10-15-2022, 01:26 PM

GLC 43
Also, make sure your CarPlay module software is up to date. Mine was out of date and they sent me a link to download newer software in order to fix the system switching back and forth, not sure what the problem there was.
Old 10-15-2022, 01:27 PM

GLC300
Also, make sure your CarPlay module software is up to date. Mine was out of date and they sent me a link to download newer software in order to fix the system switching back and forth, not sure what the problem there was.
What's the latest SW version? They sent me one a few months back.
Old 10-15-2022, 01:36 PM

GLC 43
What they sent me updated the system to the following:

SDK Version: 25.0.0.7.0.0.2.0
CUST Version: v3.6.0.8_a.lt.m5_2
MCU Version: 20.7.7.12
HW Version: BENZ2
Old 10-15-2022, 05:42 PM

GLC300
What they sent me updated the system to the following:

SDK Version: 25.0.0.7.0.0.2.0
CUST Version: v3.6.0.8_a.lt.m5_2
MCU Version: 20.7.7.12
HW Version: BENZ2
This is mine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wireless Carplay/Airplay for 2019 GLC or below