GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Tire suggestions for reduced crabbing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 02:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 GLC 63 AMG
Tire suggestions for reduced crabbing

I have a 2020 GLC 63 with 20" Conti SportContact 6 tires. The crabbing is almost unbearable-- every time you turn the wheel more than about 10 degrees, crabbing effects are so bad you think you're running over things or that your steering knuckle is breaking. My past several vehicles were all-wheel drive with high-performance tires (2017 Audi S6 with 20" Pirelli P-ZERO then Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 2010 Audi S4 with 19" Dunlop SP Sport MAXX GT) and they never had anything remotely close to the crabbing effect that the GLC has. Are there any suggested tires that may minimize this effect? It is very distracting driving in parking lots or over drive-over curbs, and I'm growing tired of it.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
GLC63 AMG S Coupe
I had a problem with my 4S as soon as the temperature turned colder.
After putting on winter tires the crabbing problem went away.

Maybe you can move to Canada where winter tires are obligatory. lol

Last edited by tedboss1; 12-16-2021 at 07:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bloom_Phaze (12-21-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 08:11 PM

2020 GLC 63 AMG
I'd never live anywhere it freezes... that's deadly!
tedboss1 (12-17-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 08:36 PM
m.o

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 AMG GLC 63S
My AMG GLC 63S Coupe came with a set of Pirelli PZeros by the end of summer this year. Anticipating crabbing effect the car is known for, even before getting the car I decided to change the summer performance tires with all season tires as soon the temperature drops below 50s. I have a set of Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus tires on now. The horrifying jittering of the front end is completely gone. My first impressions are very positive. The car feels a bit less nimble and a bit more heavier but also well planted, quieter and the ride seams a bit smoother. I live in Connecticut and don't plan to drive in deep snow and heavy winter conditions.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:46 PM

2020 GLC 63 AMG
I haven't driven with all-season tires in over 20 years-- I thought they'd greatly impair the handling. Temperature isn't a huge factor-- this morning's low was 68 and high was 81... pretty normal November/December weather-- and crabbing was relentless... if there were an "all-season" tire that wouldn't reduce performance and would reduce the crabbing effect, I'd look at using them, but I don't want to reduce performance, and I'd never drive if it were below 40 degrees outside anyway...
Old 12-17-2021, 11:23 AM

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Blk/Blk GLC43 AMG WAGON
Not sure why it is crabbing on 20's and 68 degrees. Mine does it when the temp drops below 50 but by then I have already swapped out the 21's for the winter 20's.
Bloom_Phaze (12-21-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 02:00 PM
m.o

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 AMG GLC 63S
From my experience crabbing may appear at higher temperatures but in specific situations e.g turning in to a driveway (over a polished curb, at certain turn diameters and when weight at the front is unevenly distributed, especially when turning into an inclined apron like the one i have on my driveway), turning at low speeds over wet surface.
There is quite a lot of information posted on this forum in relation to GLCs. Some examples are posted below.

https://mbworld.org/forums/glc63s-gl...-glc-43-a.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/glc63s-gl...placement.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/glc63s-gl...-glc-20-a.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/glc63s-gl...-solved-4.html

Certain summer performance tires seem to perform better than others:

For my BMWs (by the way, no crabbing there) I always had two sets of wheels and tires with TPMSes; one for summer and one for winter. My wife has all season tires on her 440ix convertible and she is not complaining. This time, I decided to experiment with performance all seasons for AMG GLC 63S on 21" rims. Having two different sets is expensive, 21" AMG wheel sets heavy and cumbersome to transport and storage. I still have winter set for 650i Grand Coupe and will be selling it soon. I will report back my observations after putting more mileage on the new Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus tires and some driving in light winter conditions.

Old 12-17-2021, 03:25 PM

2020 GLC 63 AMG
Thanks for that! In the video he switched to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires. I loved the PS4S tires on my S6-- they were worlds better than the P-ZEROs that came stock. I think when these Contis wear out (probably soon-- about 75% gone now at 4200 miles), I'll probably try the PS4S tires... I know from experience on the Audi how good those tires are.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:47 PM

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts
AMG GLC 63s Coupe
When I had EC do my TCU tune my crabbing went away totally which wasn't even my goal but it was a nice surprise. Not a great solution but mine is fully tuned so I don't have a warranty anyway. I have always used PS4S for my tires on all cars. When new they decrease crabbing more than any other Summer tire but really, it more to do with temperature than anything else.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:35 AM

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe & 2018 GLC43
Originally Posted by 4ringsnbr
I have a 2020 GLC 63 with 20" Conti SportContact 6 tires. The crabbing is almost unbearable-- every time you turn the wheel more than about 10 degrees, crabbing effects are so bad you think you're running over things or that your steering knuckle is breaking. My past several vehicles were all-wheel drive with high-performance tires (2017 Audi S6 with 20" Pirelli P-ZERO then Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and 2010 Audi S4 with 19" Dunlop SP Sport MAXX GT) and they never had anything remotely close to the crabbing effect that the GLC has. Are there any suggested tires that may minimize this effect? It is very distracting driving in parking lots or over drive-over curbs, and I'm growing tired of it.
~ I switched to ‘all season’ tires and the crabbing is now non-existent.
Bloom_Phaze (12-21-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 12:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC 63
Andrew,
what tires did you go with (brand and size) and do you like them?
What rims?

Thx,
NIXDSG
Old 12-19-2021, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by NIXDSG
Andrew,
what tires did you go with (brand and size) and do you like them? what rims?
~ I actually had to bump up to the GLC63 tire sizes to find an all-season tire. I ordered the vehicle with the optional 21” wheels.

I went with the Pirelli Scorpion Zero (265/40/21 & 295/35/21). The look great, ride smooth as glass and no road noise. I’ve had them on the my 43 for 10,000 miles. No signs of tire wear yet at all. Unreal longevity thus far. Love them.

See a couple photos below.

Bloom_Phaze (12-21-2021)
Old 12-21-2021, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts
2016 GLC 250d AMG pack, 2017 GLC Coupe 250d AMG pack , 2002 BMW 330Ci convertible, 2021 BMX X1 sD20i
Massive info re this with standard GLC forums - both on this site and the UK site.
Mostly issues with RHD vehs due to changed setup. Manual states change to winter tires when road temp drops below 7c.
MB developed new steering knuckles for RHD vehs.
None developed for GLC43, 63 family in RHD.
Usually not a lot of issues with your LHD steering.

Owners in UK and Australia fitted All Season tires and this helped heaps - incl wheel alignment.
Increase tyre pressures from 32psi to around 38 - 40psi when cold, not driven.

Some owners fitted Continental with ‘Star” on side wall - these are optimised for BMW and Rolls Royce, not MOE type. They had better results too.
All tires were runflats to from memory.

Qatrac think was UK tyre, we used Goodyear All Season runflats in both straight tyres for Wagon and staggered sizes for Coupe.

Firstly increase tyre PSI and get wheel align.
Then look for All Season runflats, or try non run flats, have not seen much about them - looking to fit non runflats to Coupe - not sure re All Season or Summer option.
Good luck - let us know how you go.
Old 12-21-2021, 03:49 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
Mercedes Benz AMG GLC 63s
Bro I feel your pain. On winter tires ATM and it’s bliss. I’m not going back to the 4s stockers, instead I may go for something less sports oriented to offset the tire grabbing, because it’s causes massif undue tire wear and suspension damage long term due to aggressive and violent nature of the juddering.

Not sure yet which, so I’ll be seeing what others recommend as I feel the selection is very small based off of the staggered set up!?

Old 12-21-2021, 03:53 AM

Unless you track your car or you drive in an insanely aggressive manner, then changing to all season tires won’t be noticed that much, neither the loss in performance.

I haven't driven with all-season tires in over 20 years-- I thought they'd greatly impair the handling. Temperature isn't a huge factor-- this morning's low was 68 and high was 81... pretty normal November/December weather-- and crabbing was relentless... if there were an "all-season" tire that wouldn't reduce performance and would reduce the crabbing effect, I'd look at using them, but I don't want to reduce performance, and I'd never drive if it were below 40 degrees outside anyway...
andrew e coupe (01-24-2024)
Old 12-21-2021, 04:03 AM

Thanks for the info, I think after next summer I’ll do the same on my GLC 63s Coupe. I just hope I can get the size needed for my car here in Japan without having my ***** ripped off due to the asinine prices here and the 10% + tax…yay😅😭

Originally Posted by andrew e coupe
~ I actually had to bump up to the GLC63 tire sizes to find an all-season tire. I ordered the vehicle with the optional 21” wheels.

I went with the Pirelli Scorpion Zero (265/40/21 & 295/35/21). The look great, ride smooth as glass and no road noise. I’ve had them on the my 43 for 10,000 miles. No signs of tire wear yet at all. Unreal longevity thus far. Love them.

See a couple photos below.

Old 12-22-2023, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 63S

Hi there - old post revival but just wanted to see how your scorpion all season tyres have been going longer term?

I was looking to get a set of these as I have read now that these to address the scrubbing issue but also main concerns are around comfort and performance of an all season tyre. Comfort is probably my main priority at the moment as I am finding the cheap tyres on my car are pretty harsh on uneven roads and divots.

I’ve always had summer tyres and just want to get a better idea of what I am getting myself into if I do go down the route of all season tyres.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by GLC63Aus
Hi there - old post revival but just wanted to see how your scorpion all season tyres have been going longer term?

I was looking to get a set of these as I have read now that these to address the scrubbing issue but also main concerns are around comfort and performance of an all season tyre. Comfort is probably my main priority at the moment as I am finding the cheap tyres on my car are pretty harsh on uneven roads and divots.

I’ve always had summer tyres and just want to get a better idea of what I am getting myself into if I do go down the route of all season tyres.
~ I couldn't be happier with these tires! They are super quiet and the wearability is fantastic. I have had these on the car for more than 25,000 mile and have zero complaints. The tires are still at more than 1/2 tread. I will be buying the same tire again when it's time.
GLC63Aus (01-02-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 63S
~ I couldn't be happier with these tires! They are super quiet and the wearability is fantastic. I have had these on the car for more than 25,000 mile and have zero complaints. The tires are still at more than 1/2 tread. I will be buying the same tire again when it's time.
Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting my Pirelli Scorpion all season tyres just yesterday and they have been great so far. The comfort has been great as well as the reduction in tyre noise. Appreciative that forums posts such as yours has pointed me in the direction of the all season tyres as most of the tyre shops I spoke to were recommending the Michelin pilot sport 4s or pilot sport suv tyres. Only 1 out of the 10 or so tyre shops I spoke to recommended the scorpion all season tyre. So I am looking forward to continued good things on this set of tyres especially during the colder months!
andrew e coupe (01-03-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 43 Coupe
2020 GLC 43 Coupe 21” crabbing with Conti Summer Tires

Hi Everyone,
A few months ago, I purchased a pre-owned 2020 GLC 43 coupe from the Mercedes dealer. It had brand new Continental 21” ultra high-performance summer tires on it. After 4,000 miles, I have noticed extreme crabbing in the front steering wheel when backing up (with air temps at about 65° F or colder). Several folks on this thread said that switching to all season tires or winter tires will help.
Has anyone tried the 21” Continental DWS 06+ all season tires on their GLC 43, and if so did that alleviate the crabbing sensation? Thanks very much in advance.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by AMG-GLC43Coupe9
Hi Everyone,
A few months ago, I purchased a pre-owned 2020 GLC 43 coupe from the Mercedes dealer. It had brand new Continental 21” ultra high-performance summer tires on it. After 4,000 miles, I have noticed extreme crabbing in the front steering wheel when backing up (with air temps at about 65° F or colder). Several folks on this thread said that switching to all season tires or winter tires will help.
Has anyone tried the 21” Continental DWS 06+ all season tires on their GLC 43, and if so did that alleviate the crabbing sensation? Thanks very much in advance.
~ I run these tires on many of my other cars and love them. These weren't available when I purchased my current all-season tires for my GLC43. They would be a huge improvement for ya!
Old 01-24-2024, 03:46 PM

GLC 43 Coupe
Thanks andrew e coupe!

~ I run these tires on many of my other cars and love them. These weren't available when I purchased my current all-season tires for my GLC43. They would be a huge improvement for ya!
Thanks very much for the update andrew e coupe! A friend of mine has those on his Audi RS6 wagon and loves the tires. I’m hoping that if I get them it will alleviate the crabbing issue on my GLC 43 with the 21” Continental ContiSport summer tires. The crabbing sensation is very frustrating even at temperatures of 65°F here in Southern California.
Old 01-24-2024, 03:48 PM

The crapping will indeed be eliminated in its entirety with the switch to the all-seasons.
Old 01-24-2024, 04:44 PM

GLC 43 Coupe
Than You!

The crapping will indeed be eliminated in its entirety with the switch to the all-seasons.
Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it.