GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Looking for Opinions on Upgrades for New AMG GLC 43 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GLC 43 Coupe
Question Looking for Opinions on Upgrades for New AMG GLC 43 Coupe

Hi, I am new here. I am about to purchase a new 2022 AMG GLC 43 Coupe in the grey magno color. There were a few options I would like your opinions on.

1. What size wheels? 20 or 21 inch? From what I see, I might get a little better acceleration from the 20" (acceleration is important to me) but I know the consensus is that 21" look better. Is the ride quality from the 21" any worse?
2. Do I need intelligent light system headlamps? From my understanding, the biggest benefit is the lighting around curves. I've never had an aimed headlight, so I don't know how beneficial this is.
3. Do I need the upgraded Burmester surround sound system? How is the stock speaker system? I listen to hip hop mostly, but some rock and podcasts.
4. What is the difference with the AMG performance steering wheel? From renderings, it only looks like the small sections on 3 and 9 o clock are changed from leather to microfiber. It surprised me that microfiber is an upgrade from the leather. Is it any thicker than the stock? Why is microfiber an upgrade?

Thank you for all the help!

Old 06-13-2022, 08:47 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2020 AMG GLC 43
Don't get run-flat tires. Seriously, avoid them at all costs. If you get the 20" wheels, Michelin is the only tire manufacturer that makes an all-season, non-run-flat tire (CrossClimate 2). Tell the dealer you want those instead. Thank me later.

All the rest of your questions are mostly personal choice (although I LOVE the multibeam lighting and Burmester sound system myself).
The following users liked this post:
Bloom_Phaze (06-16-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 03:37 PM

Received 117 Likes on 93 Posts
04 E55, 06 E55, 05 G55, 14 E63s, 12 cls63
Originally Posted by schudson9
Hi, I am new here. I am about to purchase a new 2022 AMG GLC 43 Coupe in the grey magno color. There were a few options I would like your opinions on.

1. What size wheels? 20 or 21 inch? From what I see, I might get a little better acceleration from the 20" (acceleration is important to me) but I know the consensus is that 21" look better. Is the ride quality from the 21" any worse?
2. Do I need intelligent light system headlamps? From my understanding, the biggest benefit is the lighting around curves. I've never had an aimed headlight, so I don't know how beneficial this is.
3. Do I need the upgraded Burmester surround sound system? How is the stock speaker system? I listen to hip hop mostly, but some rock and podcasts.
4. What is the difference with the AMG performance steering wheel? From renderings, it only looks like the small sections on 3 and 9 o clock are changed from leather to microfiber. It surprised me that microfiber is an upgrade from the leather. Is it any thicker than the stock? Why is microfiber an upgrade?

Alcanatara is ever so slightly more expensive than leather. as to why its an upgrade who knows.
If i was you i would purchase an aftermarket steering wheel rather than going with mercedes upgrade option. will probably end up paying less for a better quality product.
Old 06-16-2022, 02:17 AM

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
Mercedes Benz AMG GLC 63s
Yeah…pretty well much what he said👍😎
Originally Posted by Tim_P
Don't get run-flat tires. Seriously, avoid them at all costs. If you get the 20" wheels, Michelin is the only tire manufacturer that makes an all-season, non-run-flat tire (CrossClimate 2). Tell the dealer you want those instead. Thank me later.

All the rest of your questions are mostly personal choice (although I LOVE the multibeam lighting and Burmester sound system myself).
Tim_P (06-20-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 12:21 PM
Loc

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 GLK350, 2013 E350

1. What size wheels? 20 or 21 inch? From what I see, I might get a little better acceleration from the 20" (acceleration is important to me) but I know the consensus is that 21" look better. Is the ride quality from the 21" any worse? I have the 20" and it seems to be good. I'd prefer 21" but the oem offered wasn't my taste.

2. Do I need intelligent light system headlamps? From my understanding, the biggest benefit is the lighting around curves. I've never had an aimed headlight, so I don't know how beneficial this is. -- It's a very good option, trust me you won't regret it.

3. Do I need the upgraded Burmester surround sound system? How is the stock speaker system? I listen to hip hop mostly, but some rock and podcasts. -- I upgraded to Burmester. My old GLK has Harman and it wasn't too bad BUT I love the Burmester sounds.

4. What is the difference with the AMG performance steering wheel? From renderings, it only looks like the small sections on 3 and 9 o clock are changed from leather to microfiber. It surprised me that microfiber is an upgrade from the leather. Is it any thicker than the stock? Why is microfiber an upgrade? -- I like the standard that was included.
Old 07-11-2022, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GLC 43
The new michelin runflats are great. I have all season I dont know about the summer but typically they are same just tread thickness, pattern and compound. Practically same tire with different green tread details, in different molds I assume summer is good too.
The steering wheel is good thicker and feels soft, the microfiber looks worn in time maybe that's ok shows character to some. But can't get heated with it. I always go for the premium sound. I have the steering headlights on Volvo XC 60, they are good.
On this price car get everything. I have about everything but Perf exhaust and heads up. Wish I had the exhaust now.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:04 AM

2020 AMG GLC 43
Originally Posted by AMGTim
The new michelin runflats are great. I have all season I dont know about the summer but typically they are same just tread thickness, pattern and compound. Practically same tire with different green tread details, in different molds I assume summer is good too.
The steering wheel is good thicker and feels soft, the microfiber looks worn in time maybe that's ok shows character to some. But can't get heated with it. I always go for the premium sound. I have the steering headlights on Volvo XC 60, they are good.
On this price car get everything. I have about everything but Perf exhaust and heads up. Wish I had the exhaust now.
I'm not sure which tires you're talking about, because Michelin doesn't make run flats for the GLC 43. If you're talking about the stock Goodyear Eagle run-flats, they're terrible. If you're talking about the Michelin CrossClimate2 all-season non-runflats, then yes, they're amazing.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:14 AM

AMG GLC 43
I'm not sure which tires you're talking about, because Michelin doesn't make run flats for the GLC 43. If you're talking about the stock Goodyear Eagle run-flats, they're terrible. If you're talking about the Michelin CrossClimate2 all-season non-runflats, then yes, they're amazing.

Hi, its this one, I got direct from Mercedes to be sure I got OEM uniformity specs and paid too much but install free. I'm not sure if ordering from Tire Rack that I would get the OEM article number or
if they could be uniformity measure downgrades from OEM to Aftermarket uniformity limits.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...unflat%20Tires
Old 07-12-2022, 04:40 PM

2020 AMG GLC 43
Originally Posted by AMGTim
Hi, its this one, I got direct from Mercedes to be sure I got OEM uniformity specs and paid too much but install free. I'm not sure if ordering from Tire Rack that I would get the OEM article number or
if they could be uniformity measure downgrades from OEM to Aftermarket uniformity limits.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...unflat%20Tires
Ah okay, yes, those are OEM Michelin's but they're Summer tires, not All-Season. And they're not run-flats, they're just regular tires. (Unless you got the "ZP" model, which I believe are run-flats?)

Last edited by Tim_P; 07-12-2022 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:43 PM

AMG GLC 43 Coupe
Thank you so much for the response! I basically went with everything you said. I am in Texas so I would be fine with summer tires. Still trying to find a way out of getting run flats.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM

AMG GLC 43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Loc
1. What size wheels? 20 or 21 inch? From what I see, I might get a little better acceleration from the 20" (acceleration is important to me) but I know the consensus is that 21" look better. Is the ride quality from the 21" any worse? I have the 20" and it seems to be good. I'd prefer 21" but the oem offered wasn't my taste.

2. Do I need intelligent light system headlamps? From my understanding, the biggest benefit is the lighting around curves. I've never had an aimed headlight, so I don't know how beneficial this is. -- It's a very good option, trust me you won't regret it.

3. Do I need the upgraded Burmester surround sound system? How is the stock speaker system? I listen to hip hop mostly, but some rock and podcasts. -- I upgraded to Burmester. My old GLK has Harman and it wasn't too bad BUT I love the Burmester sounds.

4. What is the difference with the AMG performance steering wheel? From renderings, it only looks like the small sections on 3 and 9 o clock are changed from leather to microfiber. It surprised me that microfiber is an upgrade from the leather. Is it any thicker than the stock? Why is microfiber an upgrade? -- I like the standard that was included.
Thank you! I ended up with 20", intelligent headlamps, Burmester audio, and stock steering wheel
Old 07-12-2022, 04:47 PM

AMG GLC 43 Coupe

I am trying, but he said he couldn't from the factory. Should I ask them to order them and put them on the car before I receive it?
Old 07-12-2022, 05:24 PM

2020 AMG GLC 43
It's not surprising that the dealer can't get Mercedes to change their stock tires. If you can work with them to take money off the car to offset the cost of the Michelin's, I would go for that. Otherwise you'll just be replacing the run-flats on day one, and it's not like you can re-sell them on Craigslist (although I guess you could try). Maybe talk to their tire guy in Service to see what he says.

BTW, if you buy them from TireRack, it'll cost $100-$125 to have them mounted, so if Mercedes will do that for free, at least you'll have saved that much.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG GLC 43

If you live where there are a lot of potholes like I do, this should be a no-brainer. In my opinion, the 21''s are too big for this model. I also love the split spoke design of the standard 20s.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:47 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by kgariba
If you live where there are a lot of potholes like I do, this should be a no-brainer. In my opinion, the 21''s are too big for this model. I also love the split spoke design of the standard 20s.
Agree. The 20's split spoke with the black accents are some of the best looking OEM rims IMO. I had the forged 10 spokes on my C63 but they looked muted and "dull" even when clean.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:00 PM

E 350 coupe GLC 43 coupe
I was told tht no new GLC 43 coupes were going to have the Burmester sound system
Old 07-30-2022, 05:21 PM

AMG GLC 43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Tigbergslim
I was told tht no new GLC 43 coupes were going to have the Burmester sound system
The order guide that @Eaton posted shows it as an option https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...uide-en_us.pdf . When were you told that and what was their reasoning?
Old 07-30-2022, 05:27 PM

E 350 coupe GLC 43 coupe
The order guide that @Eaton posted shows it as an option https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...uide-en_us.pdf . When were you told that and what was their reasoning?
Yea it was an option for me too on the build sheet but whn I got the VIN number I had a friend of mines who works in corporate look up my vehicle and the wireless charging and Burmester were missing. I contacted my dealer about it and thts whn he told me tht Burmester sound systems were not going to be available..... I didn't even ask about the wireless charging. I have already looked into getting Focal speakers installed if the car ever makes it out of Germany...I have been waiting over a year smh.
Old 07-30-2022, 05:31 PM

AMG GLC 43 Coupe
Yea it was an option for me too on the build sheet but whn I got the VIN number I had a friend of mines who works in corporate look up my vehicle and the wireless charging and Burmester were missing. I contacted my dealer about it and thts whn he told me tht Burmester sound systems were not going to be available..... I didn't even ask about the wireless charging. I have already looked into getting Focal speakers installed if the car ever makes it out of Germany...I have been waiting over a year smh.
Oh no, that makes me nervous. I am almost 2 months into waiting. I've got a confirmed build date of October. I hope it doesn't get delayed. I don't have a VIN yet
Old 07-30-2022, 05:45 PM

E 350 coupe GLC 43 coupe
Oh no, that makes me nervous. I am almost 2 months into waiting. I've got a confirmed build date of October. I hope it doesn't get delayed. I don't have a VIN yet
I ordered the car in May of 2021 but it took so long to arrive tht my auto loan expired !! I was told tht I would get my car by August the latest. After August came & went I said you might as well get me the 2022. I was told I would have it by February thn whn February came I was told tht bc of delays I would get it in April. Once April came I contacted him told him to cancel. He told me the car was built...I asked for a VIN number and provided me with one immediately. I contacted my friend and had him look it up and yup it was my car. He was thn told tht there is a delay on it bc of the chip shortage and if I wanted to speed up the process I should take a few features off. After waiting this long I'm like HELL NO !!

Last edited by Tigbergslim; 07-30-2022 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG GLC43
I heard the same in SoCal, dealer said it was due to chip shortages.
Tigbergslim (07-31-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 04:20 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
C63
If you have the PO number you can track it and see when it gets here. Ordered my 2022 GLC43 in late Feb. It got delayed but was finally produced in early June. Got here and sat in the VPC in Baltimore for 2 weeks before I finally got the car in early July. Only thing I couldn't get was Burmeister upgrade. Everything else was available; 360 camera, AMG Vanity lights etc. albeit production delayed a month-
Old 08-01-2022, 05:20 PM

E 350 coupe GLC 43 coupe
Originally Posted by I_love_ICE
If you have the PO number you can track it and see when it gets here. Ordered my 2022 GLC43 in late Feb. It got delayed but was finally produced in early June. Got here and sat in the VPC in Baltimore for 2 weeks before I finally got the car in early July. Only thing I couldn't get was Burmeister upgrade. Everything else was available; 360 camera, AMG Vanity lights etc. albeit production delayed a month-
I have the PO number. Now what do I do ?
Old 08-01-2022, 05:23 PM

E 350 coupe GLC 43 coupe
Originally Posted by I_love_ICE
I actually have the VIN & PO number but my car is just sitting in Germany bc of delays smh
Old 08-02-2022, 01:44 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63s Coupe
I doubt you'll get a Burmeister sound system, MB seems to be saving those parts for more higher end models.
Tigbergslim (08-02-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for Opinions on Upgrades for New AMG GLC 43 Coupe