GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Adding AMG Drive Unit to the Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 02:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Adding AMG Drive Unit to the Steering Wheel

Is it possible to add an AMG Drive Control Unit to the steering wheel if one was not ordered from the factory? Trying to figure out how to add one of these to new-to-me '21 GLC63. My steering wheel is not heated, so I am wondering if the dealer should just be able to get this ordered, installed, and activated without issues. Also wondering about the cost...

AMG Drive Unit
Old 08-27-2023, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
Dealership is not gonna retrofit this for you, but RJ Automotive for example offers the retrofit. They send you all the hardware, but you have to install it yourself or find somebody to do it for you and then RJ will do the coding remotely.

https://rjautomotive.net/products/am...ttons-retrofit
Old 08-27-2023, 07:02 PM

'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Originally Posted by superswiss
Dealership is not gonna retrofit this for you, but RJ Automotive for example offers the retrofit. They send you all the hardware, but you have to install it yourself or find somebody to do it for you and then RJ will do the coding remotely.
https://rjautomotive.net/products/am...ttons-retrofit
Yes, I saw this service offered by RJ. Do they work with US clients, and was there anyone here with positive results?
Old 08-27-2023, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB
Yes, I saw this service offered by RJ. Do they work with US clients, and was there anyone here with positive results?
Yes, they do as far as I know. Several members have used their remote coding offerings, but I don't know of anyone specific who has done the AMG Drive Unit retrofit.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:16 PM

'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, they do as far as I know. Several members have used their remote coding offerings, but I don't know of anyone specific who has done the AMG Drive Unit retrofit.
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
BTW, there's a 5% flat discount at the moment with code "RBR". https://invi.tt/JRRD
Old 08-27-2023, 08:02 PM

'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Yup, I see it. Looks like around $1,600 just in parts, so probably $2,000 all in after install. A bit much for a set of buttons with all that hassle. I think I'll try to get used to changing the modes of the console first, once my car get's here that is. I'm just so damn used to my M buttons on my M5.
Old 08-27-2023, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yes, the cost of the retrofit is pretty steep and I would probably try to find a car that already has it. I have to say it's one of the best features in the newer AMGs. I wouldn't wanna give it up, especially if you've experienced the M buttons already. The AMG Drive Unit is done very well. Not only can you turn the drive mode knob to select a mode, you can also push it like the M buttons to directly activate the Individual mode. That's my favorite part, because I mostly use the Individual mode and I can quickly change from any other mode to the Individual mode by just pushing it. The two programmable soft buttons are also great to quickly change individual settings. I have the suspension and the exhaust mapped to them and I only have to reach down to the center console for the functions I use less frequently. One of the great features of AMGs, IMO, is that you can configure the manual transmission mode in the Individual mode settings. This is how I've setup my Individual mode as I mostly drive in M. So one push of a button sets up the car exactly the way I like it, including putting the transmission in M.
Old 08-27-2023, 09:07 PM

'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Ugh... I use my M buttons all the time when I'm on and off the freeways or when I'm passing people. This really feels like it will become a necessity shortly.

As for getting a car with it... I almost finalized an out-of-state purchase for a CPO '21 GLC 63 with 7K miles and with an in-service date in 2022. That means I am covered until early 2027 for unlimited miles. Moreover, the car has every option I want sans the drive unit, so I don't think I'll find a better GLC63 (for me).

I really hope the retrofit will go well... since it is likely I will be doing it.
Old 08-27-2023, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB
Ugh... I use my M buttons all the time when I'm on and off the freeways or when I'm passing people. This really feels like it will become a necessity shortly..
Yep, I constantly change drive modes as well. The moment I hit up an onramp I put it in Individual mode and as soon as I'm back on surface streets I put it back in Comfort, but open up the exhaust. It has become muscle memory and all is done w/o taking my hands off the steering wheel. If my wife is in the car I put it in Individual mode, but take the suspension back to Comfort, all done from the steering wheel. IMO, it really enhances the driving experience.