GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

How jerky is the GLC63 really?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 10:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
How jerky is the GLC63 really?

About to pull a trigger on the GLC63 from out of state, so can't test drive. I've been reading that GLC63 has a jerky transmission. How bad is it really for most owners here? Or are some making a mountain out of a molehill?
Old 08-29-2023, 11:54 AM

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts
GLC AMG 63
My wife has the AMG GLC 63 and she loves it …….I drive it from time to time and have zero issues. The car has a lot of power and torque and I’m use to sports cars, thus for me it seams normal. My wife came from a cushy BMW 3 series and she loves the GLC. Good luck.

Last edited by Maverick787; 08-30-2023 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:54 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
C63
MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLEHILL
Old 08-30-2023, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLC 63 AMG
Objectively, I'd say they're pretty jerky. Daily driving in the city, you'll occasionally find scenarios where you weren't necessarily expecting to be thrown back in your seat. I'd imagine its even more exaggerated if I were sitting in the passenger seat. That being said, after the first few weeks of driving, you'll get used to the transmission shift points and be able to manipulate the throttle to reduce the jerkiness. In no way would something this small dissuade me from purchasing this incredible vehicle. The sound of it alone is almost intoxicating.
Old 08-30-2023, 01:02 PM

'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Originally Posted by RandySavage
Objectively, I'd say they're pretty jerky. Daily driving in the city, you'll occasionally find scenarios where you weren't necessarily expecting to be thrown back in your seat. I'd imagine its even more exaggerated if I were sitting in the passenger seat. That being said, after the first few weeks of driving, you'll get used to the transmission shift points and be able to manipulate the throttle to reduce the jerkiness. In no way would something this small dissuade me from purchasing this incredible vehicle. The sound of it alone is almost intoxicating.
Perfect. Exactly what I needed to hear.
Old 08-30-2023, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,560 Posts
2019 C63CS
I think it's largely misaligned expectations. AMG is the last performance car brand in this segment who still uses automated clutch transmissions instead of slow torque converters. Everybody else including BMW has adopted the ZF8 and abandoned their DCT transmissions. The MCT is quite a unique transmission. It combines the best part of a regular automatic with the best part of a dual clutch transmission. A big reason I have an AMG now is because of exactly this. I don't want torque converters in my performance cars. A clutch simply offers better response and a more connected driving feel, but it does mean that you have to modulate the throttle at times to keep it smooth. I have no issues with that. I've driven manual transmissions for almost 20 years, so smooth driving was all up to me.

Folks who expect these cars to be stomp and go cars will be disappointed in daily driving situations as it will jerk all over for them. You kinda need to know what you are doing and control your throttle inputs. Personally I drive 90% or more in manual mode and control the shifting myself. IMO, it's the most satisfying way to drive an AMG. The transmission also needs some time to adapt to your driving style and my C63S did receive a few software updates since I took delivery. It drives smoother than ever now. If you buy used, then it will first have to forget some of the potential bad habits of the previous owner and learn your driving style. You can accelerate this by asking the dealer to reset the adaptations, so it starts fresh.
The following 3 users liked this post by superswiss:
benz_driver (09-07-2023), Maverick787 (08-31-2023), PeterUbers (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 07:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,486 Likes on 2,115 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by superswiss
I think it's largely misaligned expectations. AMG is the last performance car brand in this segment who still uses automated clutch transmissions instead of slow torque converters. Everybody else including BMW has adopted the ZF8 and abandoned their DCT transmissions. The MCT is quite a unique transmission. It combines the best part of a regular automatic with the best part of a dual clutch transmission. A big reason I have an AMG now is because of exactly this. I don't want torque converters in my performance cars. A clutch simply offers better response and a more connected driving feel, but it does mean that you have to modulate the throttle at times to keep it smooth. I have no issues with that. I've driven manual transmissions for almost 20 years, so smooth driving was all up to me.

Folks who expect these cars to be stomp and go cars will be disappointed in daily driving situations as it will jerk all over for them. You kinda need to know what you are doing and control your throttle inputs. Personally I drive 90% or more in manual mode and control the shifting myself. IMO, it's the most satisfying way to drive an AMG. The transmission also needs some time to adapt to your driving style and my C63S did receive a few software updates since I took delivery. It drives smoother than ever now. If you buy used, then it will first have to forget some of the potential bad habits of the previous owner and learn your driving style. You can accelerate this by asking the dealer to reset the adaptations, so it starts fresh.
Unfortunately, it seems like the competitors think their customers want a smooth transmission (guessing mainly for city driving yet wants to go fast other times) in a high performance vehicle, everything is so toned down and boring now, the excitement of driving gets lesser and lesser every generation as a result.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,426 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned

perfectly put
Old 09-01-2023, 10:53 PM

'21 GLC63, '19 M5

Thanks for that info!
Old 09-02-2023, 12:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,486 Likes on 2,115 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Unfortunately, it seems like the competitors think their customers want a smooth transmission (guessing mainly for city driving yet wants to go fast other times) in a high performance vehicle, everything is so toned down and boring now, the excitement of driving gets lesser and lesser every generation as a result.
Quoting myself to add, watched a review and it seems like the McLaren Artura does completely opposite of what everyone is doing and bring genuine driving fun and driving dynamics to their cars.
Old 10-03-2023, 03:11 PM
BRU

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2016 CTS-V
Hey DirtyVegasMB, did you used to own a CTS-V? I think I recognize your handle from that forum, looks like you've gone the M5 route now. I still have my V and just added a GLC 63 S. I don't think the transmission is jerky, seems to shift way better than the A8 in the V but that's not saying much lol. Perhaps you already have your GLC, hope you're enjoying it.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:34 PM

'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Originally Posted by BRU
Hey DirtyVegasMB, did you used to own a CTS-V? I think I recognize your handle from that forum, looks like you've gone the M5 route now. I still have my V and just added a GLC 63 S. I don't think the transmission is jerky, seems to shift way better than the A8 in the V but that's not saying much lol. Perhaps you already have your GLC, hope you're enjoying it.
Hi, and yes, I did own that CTS-V. That is one of my most favorite cars to date. Just sold my M5 and got the GLC 63 last month. Debating on a RENNTech tune now.

As for the transmission, it is a bit odd at times, but I've gotten used to it fairly quickly.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:37 AM
BRU

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2016 CTS-V
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB
Hi, and yes, I did own that CTS-V. That is one of my most favorite cars to date. Just sold my M5 and got the GLC 63 last month. Debating on a RENNTech tune now.
As for the transmission, it is a bit odd at times, but I've gotten used to it fairly quickly.
The V is a hoot, I'm hanging on to mine for now. But the GLC is great when the rain comes. I haven't tuned mine yet, still considering options. I may go Eurocharged, they have a TCU tune as well. It's nearly the same engine as the E63S, no reason not to have the same power. Best of luck with your decision.