GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

2017 GLE 43 AMG start from D3 instead of D1.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE43
2017 GLE 43 AMG start from D3 instead of D1.

The car is 2017 GLE 43 AMG. The engine light turned on two days ago. And I pulled a code P073e from the car. the message was "unable to engage reverse". Then the next thing I noticed:When I try to put the gear to D, it will automatically jump to neutral. If I continue to flick the gear lever several times, the car will start in D3, and the gear will not be lower than D3 in the following driving. Whe I completely stopped at the traffic light, it only stayed on D3 instead of D2 or D1.
It only happens randomly. Not all the time. I had cleared the code and engine light didn't turn back on even with all the failure to start from D1.

Did this happen to any of you guys before?

edit: I found one similar thread here. I hope to hear it back from you guys.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...nsmission.html
Old 03-16-2024, 09:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,391 Likes on 2,039 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by iviax
The car is 2017 GLE 43 AMG. The engine light turned on two days ago. And I pulled a code P073e from the car. the message was "unable to engage reverse". Then the next thing I noticed:When I try to put the gear to D, it will automatically jump to neutral. If I continue to flick the gear lever several times, the car will start in D3, and the gear will not be lower than D3 in the following driving. Whe I completely stopped at the traffic light, it only stayed on D3 instead of D2 or D1.
It only happens randomly. Not all the time. I had cleared the code and engine light didn't turn back on even with all the failure to start from D1.

Did this happen to any of you guys before?

edit: I found one similar thread here. I hope to hear it back from you guys.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...nsmission.html
When was the transmission fluid last changed?
Old 03-17-2024, 01:45 AM

GLE43
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
When was the transmission fluid last changed?
i checked the record it was done during the 60k miles service. The current odometer is 70k.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
i checked the record it was done during the 60k miles service. The current odometer is 70k.
Where was this done? The fluid level is crucial to transmission operation, too much or too little could results in symptoms you are experiencing.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:07 AM

GLE43
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Where was this done? The fluid level is crucial to transmission operation, too much or too little could results in symptoms you are experiencing.
it was done at the MB dealership roughly a year ago. This issue just occurred recently.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:35 AM

GLE43
I wanted to provide an update on the fix. The mechanic successfully repaired my car by replacing the valve body of the transmission. Apparently, all the electrical components, including the transmission control unit/module, are housed within that valve body. It's unclear what caused the module to malfunction. After inspecting the fluid and interior of the transmission, no dirt or metal shavings were found. The total cost came to $3k, which included replacing the main battery.

I hope this helps for anyone who might have this happen to his/her Mercedes.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823
it was done at the MB dealership roughly a year ago. This issue just occurred recently.
So sorry I missed your reply to my post : (

I wanted to provide an update on the fix. The mechanic successfully repaired my car by replacing the valve body of the transmission. Apparently, all the electrical components, including the transmission control unit/module, are housed within that valve body. It's unclear what caused the module to malfunction. After inspecting the fluid and interior of the transmission, no dirt or metal shavings were found. The total cost came to $3k, which included replacing the main battery.

Glad to hear that it is fixed!
Old 04-30-2024, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350

I have a GLS, same problem, same suggestion, they are charging me $4000 (just for the valve body and oil), this is after they came down from $5500.

How is the car running after the repair?
Old 04-30-2024, 08:28 PM

GLE43
Originally Posted by S Naqvi
I have a GLS, same problem, same suggestion, they are charging me $4000 (just for the valve body and oil), this is after they came down from $5500.

How is the car running after the repair?
The car runs like a brand new car after the repair. The valve body replacement fixed it completely. MB dealership price is a ripoff.
The following users liked this post:
S Naqvi (04-30-2024)