GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Anyone else notice that many active LED headlights are really inactive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2022 | 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Gary A
We've had our GLE450 for 5 days now. 450 Miles on it. Mostly, I like it a lot (can't say that about the manual). However, either I'm missing something about setting up the lights, or there's, IMHO, a serious problem with them. Or, maybe there's just an uncommon fault with mine.

To me, the high beam works reasonable well (though lacking the high tech features apparently available in other countries). However, when the auto system switches to low beam it feels downright dangerous! There is a very definite threshold between illuminated and dark areas when in low beam. I.E. the road is illuminated for a reasonable distance in front of the car but essentially dark above that. For example, at times we could easily see the tires and bumper of a car ahead but barely see the back window. Last night as we drove out our dark, hilly, lane we barely notice the feet of deer along side the road. We were going down hill and the deer was standing along side maybe a couple of feet higher than the road. As we were coming home a car approaching ours blinked its lights OFF. I assume the driver thought we didn't have ours on.

Here are a couple of pictures taken this evening. First one is low beam on, second is high beam from same location.

Low Beam

Notice that in the low beam image there's not a hint of the tree on the right side of the road, or the brush sticking out on the left at about the same distance.
Seems like, rather than dimming the light on low beam, the vehicle is concentrating it in a small area - leaving other critical areas dark.

The manual included in the MBUX system (under INDEX) has an animation showing what I had hoped for. Nothing like what I got.

Has anyone else noticed this?
The upper lights are shut off on low beam. If you pull up to a garage door or wall you will see it more clearly. There is a straight line at the top like someone covered the upper light. Since the active headlights aren’t operative in the US it appears they just deactivate all the uppers to act like the lights dim to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.
Old 12-20-2022 | 02:08 AM

2020 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by TonyF61
It will show it on your original sticker, or you can get a data card from a @konigstiger on this Forum - https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-datacard.html. Also, if you intend to use rjautomotive, they require that you send them your VIN # to verify your lights are compatible.
Thanks! Appreciate it.
The following users liked this post:
TonyF61 (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022 | 10:30 AM

2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
More info on this topic here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...-approved.html

Last edited by TexAg91; 12-20-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-20-2022 | 10:36 AM

2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by TexAg91
@TexAg91 Link not working for me - however, this one does. https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...-approved.html (Looks the same)

Old 12-20-2022 | 10:38 AM

2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Try it now, my iPhone is giving me hell this morning.
Old 12-20-2022 | 10:40 AM

2022 GLE 450
Originally Posted by TexAg91
Try it now, my iPhone is giving me hell this morning.
Nope - getting "Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"