GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Dashcam options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 03:42 PM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
There are actually forums for dashcams and the best high-end value is the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K.

That's the one I'm going to buy on Black Friday.

Get it with the Cellink NEO Battery Pack option if you want the camera to record while you're parked as well.

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/collec...31091336773687

Here are 2 videos comparing it to the popular BlackVue DR900S in day and night. Based on these videos, I say the VIOFO wins (you can read license plates and road signs more clearly) and costs less as well. Also, the BlackVue has some issues with overheating, so if you live in a hot climate, you should take note of that.

You can also consider the Thinkware U1000 as well, it's just as clear as the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo, but the lens is a little wider. I don't know if it's worth the extra cost though.

Last edited by KJ; 11-23-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:33 PM

Received 194 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by KJ
There are actually forums for dashcams and the best high-end value is the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K.

That's the one I'm going to buy on Black Friday.

Get it with the Cellink NEO Battery Pack option if you want the camera to record while you're parked as well.

Here are 2 videos comparing it to the popular BlackVue DR900S in day and night. Based on these videos, I say the VIOFO wins (you can read license plates and road signs more clearly) and costs less as well. Also, the BlackVue has some issues with overheating, so if you live in a hot climate, you should take note of that.

You can also consider the Thinkware U1000 as well, it's just as clear as the VIOFO A129 Pro Duo, but the lens is a little wider. I don't know if it's worth the extra cost though.
I have Cellink (older version, but 2 batteries setup) in my old car and I will definitely get it again. It just depend on what brand of dashcam I am getting. If I am getting a Blackvue, I will go will the blackvue B-124 battery (1 app to monitor both the dashcam and battery)
I did consider the Thinkware U1000, but the problem I have is that it only support up to 128 GB sd card, were the Blackvue DR900S supports up to 256 GB. Also, in order to use the parking mode for the U1000, I have to use the hard wire kit (according to the manual). And since I am planning to place the battery at the cargo area, I don't think that wire is long enough.
The reason I am more toward blackvue is because I been using it (550, 650, 750) for a few years without issue, and no overheating in my area (PA).
Well, I still have a few days before black friday to decide which one to get
Old 11-23-2019, 11:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
GLE 300d (v167)
So just checking where did you guys install the rear camera on the Blackvue cameras? I have an old DR650S-2CH from my previous car which I'm planning to just install again, but wasn't sure if there's a right place to put it given it has a rear tailgate (my previous car being the w205 I just got it mounted in the rear headliner and stuck to the rear window).

On another note, I did happen to stumble upon the official dashcamera by Mercedes - I wonder how integrated it is.

A2139055310 - https://configurator.mercedes-benz-a...ransporter=car
A2139055510 - https://configurator.mercedes-benz-a...ransporter=car
Old 11-24-2019, 01:11 AM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
2020 GLS450, 2022 SL55 AMG, 2022 C300
Originally Posted by bad habit
Short update on my side: the Goluk cam I installed has been having app problems and the manufacturer can't seem to get it fixed, so I am looking at other cams now.
VIOFO recently released A129 Pro Duo and based on YouTube videos and Dashcamtalk threads this is the best camera on the market today, both price and quality-wise.
Unfortunately, just like pretty much all other Chinese / Korean dashcams, the app (for iOS at least) is buggy and unreliable and that is a no-go for me at least.
Has anyone else here installed a dashcam in the meantime, especially looking for tips on hardwiring a dual device with parking mode
I actually scrapped the idea of the dash cam, because I realized how useless it is.. and actually can be bad for anyone. I was thinking it would be useful in case of an accident to be able to provide the footage of what happened. But I was told by my lawyer that it actually can be used against me as well as for me, if lawyers know that it was installed in the car in the first place and want to see what happened. Besides the video footage doesn't provide any proof of anything (at least in CA), because it can be easily altered - since we have too many Steven Spielbergs knowing how to edit any special effects to any video. So many lawyers advice against dashcams and I actually agree on this one. Besides, don't forget that your car is equipped with EDR, which actually can be very useful and data is legally accepted. Watch this video explains:
Old 11-24-2019, 01:25 AM
KJ

2020 GLE 53 AMG
I totally disagree.

Dash cams have saved countless people, I see it all the time. I've seen footage where some guy backed into someone on purpose and then accused the other driver of rear ending them and asked for cash. Once the driver told them he had a dash cam, the other driver ended up getting charged.

Without the dash cam footage, that would be a hard story to sell to the police officer or your insurance company.

If you don't think it'll help you one day, you can save yourself the expense!
The following 3 users liked this post by KJ:
CaptDawg (03-29-2020), justjoe13 (04-17-2020), Teja Berberich (12-29-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 06:59 AM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
Originally Posted by zengshengliu
I have Cellink (older version, but 2 batteries setup) in my old car and I will definitely get it again. It just depend on what brand of dashcam I am getting. If I am getting a Blackvue, I will go will the blackvue B-124 battery (1 app to monitor both the dashcam and battery)
I did consider the Thinkware U1000, but the problem I have is that it only support up to 128 GB sd card, were the Blackvue DR900S supports up to 256 GB. Also, in order to use the parking mode for the U1000, I have to use the hard wire kit (according to the manual). And since I am planning to place the battery at the cargo area, I don't think that wire is long enough.
The reason I am more toward blackvue is because I been using it (550, 650, 750) for a few years without issue, and no overheating in my area (PA).
Well, I still have a few days before black friday to decide which one to get
Many of those cams can easily use higher capacity cards, check out the threads on dashcamtalk. You can lengthen the hardwire kit if need be but they are normally pretty long.

Originally Posted by JaCe88
So just checking where did you guys install the rear camera on the Blackvue cameras? I have an old DR650S-2CH from my previous car which I'm planning to just install again, but wasn't sure if there's a right place to put it given it has a rear tailgate (my previous car being the w205 I just got it mounted in the rear headliner and stuck to the rear window).

On another note, I did happen to stumble upon the official dashcamera by Mercedes - I wonder how integrated it is.

A2139055310 - https://configurator.mercedes-benz-a...ransporter=car
A2139055510 - https://configurator.mercedes-benz-a...ransporter=car
I was looking at those as well, they cost a fortune though and have no reviews
Old 11-24-2019, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by storm10
I actually scrapped the idea of the dash cam, because I realized how useless it is.. and actually can be bad for anyone. I was thinking it would be useful in case of an accident to be able to provide the footage of what happened. But I was told by my lawyer that it actually can be used against me as well as for me, if lawyers know that it was installed in the car in the first place and want to see what happened. Besides the video footage doesn't provide any proof of anything (at least in CA), because it can be easily altered - since we have too many Steven Spielbergs knowing how to edit any special effects to any video. So many lawyers advice against dashcams and I actually agree on this one. Besides, don't forget that your car is equipped with EDR, which actually can be very useful and data is legally accepted. Watch this video explains:
Event Data Recorder
This just seems like reverse logic. If your camera is used against you then weren’t you in the wrong? You will probably lose a wrongful death or disablement case anyway. That’s why we have insurance-bump your liability up if that’s a concern!
There seems to be far more upside to a camera than not.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ron.s:
CaptDawg (03-29-2020), Teja Berberich (12-29-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 09:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
GLE 300d (v167)
Depends if you back yourself

Honestly though I think it makes a lot of sense since it provides better explanation than hearsay and insurers will use it to help determine fault.

Besides some dash cams have an instant erase function button... not that we encourage that.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLE 450
Sorry if this has been posted before, in the setup I can see the dashcam settings have been deactivated - could this be reactivated?

Old 11-25-2019, 08:31 AM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by Lapchien
Sorry if this has been posted before, in the setup I can see the dashcam settings have been deactivated - could this be reactivated?
I contacted Mercedes USA and they said this is disabled in the country due to regulation. Not word on if or when it will be enabled.
I just find it strange that Tesla has that feature enabled and running in USA, yet Mercedes can't due to regulation.
The following users liked this post:
bad habit (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 08:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE450W4
I contacted Mercedes USA and they said this is disabled in the country due to regulation. Not word on if or when it will be enabled.
I just find it strange that Tesla has that feature enabled and running in USA, yet Mercedes can't due to regulation.
It would be interesting to see if they will provide a citation of the relevant regulations.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Sounds like hog wash to me.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
BMW has this option for X5 & X7 to use front cameras as dash cam (they call it bmw drive recorder) So why can BMW do it if its against regulations?
Old 11-25-2019, 01:09 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by thenew3
BMW has this option for X5 & X7 to use front cameras as dash cam (they call it bmw drive recorder) So why can BMW do it if its against regulations?
Just to be clear, this is the dealer telling me that its the regulation. It could be a local regulation, state regulation, or country regulation. I don't know for sure.
The answer from Mercedes USA is that
We have confirmed the US 2020 GLE is unequipped with a dashcam, as the option is not available in the US.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
MBUSA on dash cam feature

From MBUSA re: Built-in dash cam"Response By Email (Dana B.) (11/26/2019 04:05 PM)

Dear Gregory,

Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA.

At this time, the dash camera feature is not available within the U.S. market, as well as additional details for future updates. As a valued Mercedes-Benz customer, we welcome your feedback. It helps to keep us current in understanding the needs and preferences of our current and prospective customers. To this end, we have shared your comments with our GLE-Class Product Management Team for their review and future consideration.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Kind Regards,

Mercedes Benz USA
(800) 367-6372"

Customer By CSS Web (Gregory Williams) (11/26/2019 10:19 AM)
My 2020 GLE has a dash cam feature that is not activated. I know it says "not available in all countries, but both BMW & Tesla have this feature in the USA. This would be highly useful. Is there a chance it will be enabled by a software update in the future?
Old 11-26-2019, 09:39 PM
Banned

A
I like how you were told that it isn't available as if you already didn't know that
Old 11-26-2019, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63S
I highly recommend blackvue. I have a direct dealer account with them and just ordered two up for my wife’s new car and the e63s I’m picking up tomorrow.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I like how you were told that it isn't available as if you already didn't know that
You have to wonder if they have any real knowledge or are just patronizing. If you believe the response you could infer that it might be available in another market and also that it might be coming to the US in the future. If I get some time I might check the German market again.
I could be wrong but I think most of the support staff are just “Good Will” people with little knowledge of anything very deep. Or maybe I’ve been unlucky with my 3 contacts to them.
Old 11-27-2019, 01:16 AM
KJ

2020 GLE 53 AMG
Perhaps someone can enable it like they do for "Video in Motion?"

Give you a file to uploaded to a memory card and change the rules to allow this option to be used!
Old 12-09-2019, 08:06 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Here is my plan of routing the wires and rear camera cable. The dashcam I choose is blackvue DR900S-2CH and with the blackvue B-124x battery pack. If there are enough room (which I believe it does), I will get a second battery for expansion.
The reason why I haven't install it is because the original cables that come with the device is just a bit too short, so I have to order a longer one.

Front dashcam mounting location and wire route with a pillar trim removed: (I have the acoustic package so I have to mount it there for the GPS signal)

From bottom of a pillar to the floor trim:

I didn't remove the trim piece between the two door below the front pessanger side seat belt since I haven't figure out how to unclip it easily, but I figure I can slide the wire under the trim out of sight.
Rear floor trim removed: (be careful when removing, as the light wire is visible. When using the removal tool, insert it from the inside of the vehicle)

The wire will then go up along the side trim behind the seat (no trim remove since there is a gap to fit in the wire):

The wire will go under the cargo cover, and to the battery (big red box ) I haven't figure out a way to pull the wire from the fuse panel to the cargo area without having the wire visible. I tried to remove the trim where the tailgate latch is, but the clip holding it is super strong and I am afraid of breaking it (I did remove the bolt). If anyone has any hint of how I can wire it behind the trim into the cargo area, please let me know (green line)
wildta (04-28-2023)
Old 12-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Here is my plan of routing the wires and rear camera cable. The dashcam I choose is blackvue DR900S-2CH and with the blackvue B-124x battery pack. If there are enough room (which I believe it does), I will get a second battery for expansion.
The reason why I haven't install it is because the original cables that come with the device is just a bit too short, so I have to order a longer one.

Front dashcam mounting location and wire route with a pillar trim removed: (I have the acoustic package so I have to mount it there for the GPS signal)

From bottom of a pillar to the floor trim:

I didn't remove the trim piece between the two door below the front pessanger side seat belt since I haven't figure out how to unclip it easily, but I figure I can slide the wire under the trim out of sight.
Rear floor trim removed: (be careful when removing, as the light wire is visible. When using the removal tool, insert it from the inside of the vehicle)

The wire will then go up along the side trim behind the seat (no trim remove since there is a gap to fit in the wire):

The wire will go under the cargo cover, and to the battery (big red box ) I haven't figure out a way to pull the wire from the fuse panel to the cargo area without having the wire visible. I tried to remove the trim where the tailgate latch is, but the clip holding it is super strong and I am afraid of breaking it (I did remove the bolt). If anyone has any hint of how I can wire it behind the trim into the cargo area, please let me know (green line)
I got the same camera and that's exactly how I routed mine. I have yet to decide how to route the rear camera though. Still trying to play with how to route the wire to the front camera through the hatch. In the last picture you posted where you're going to put the battery pack. I can see where you pulled a plastic clip there that holds the carpet just to the right. Pull the carpet to the left. You can route the wire from under the back seat seat armrest -> under the carpeted area that you pulled aside -> and then from the bottom of the fuse box area upwards to the fuses. Just follow your red line and go to the right, under the trim and you can access the fuse box area.

Last edited by tinman831; 12-09-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:23 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Originally Posted by tinman831
I got the same camera and that's exactly how I routed mine. I have yet to decide how to route the rear camera though. Still trying to play with how to route the wire to the front camera through the hatch. In the last picture you posted where you're going to put the battery pack. I can see where you pulled a plastic clip there that holds the carpet just to the right. Pull the carpet to the left. You can route the wire from under the back seat seat armrest -> under the carpeted area that you pulled aside -> and then from the bottom of the fuse box area upwards to the fuses.
Thanks for the info. I will try that.
As for the rear camera, on my old car, I manage to remove the inner trim, route the wire through factory hatch "connector tube" (or whatever it is call :P ), and remove the top potion of the hatch trim and have the wire come down in the middle.
I haven't remove the trims in that area in the GLE yet, so i am not sure how it would work, but by just filling the "connector tube" on both side, it feels like it is already filled with wires so it might be tough to put another one in. I might just have it route on the roof trim to the center of the hatch, and it have "expose" and "jump" across the panel onto the rear hatch/window. This is the reason why I have to order the longer cable as the factory one is just enough to reach the center rear top of the hatch and not enough to bridge across.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:08 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
I look at the clip in the cargo area, and it is definitely doable for routing the wire to the fuse box, I just need to remove the spare tire to get more room (or try to fish the wire through carefully).
As for the rear camera route, I am planning to go from the same route to the fuse box location, up the side and behind the weatherstrip, up to the center of roof line, and bridge across (green line)

On my old car, I can easily remove the two trims, one on the side of the car (d pillar), and one at the center of the hatch

But for the GLE, the rubber tube is pointed to the center of the car, so in order to route the wire through, I will most likely have to remove (partially) the route liner, which I don't want to do at the moment.
wildta (04-28-2023)
Old 12-09-2019, 09:18 PM
Banned

A
Wow that looks like a lot of work it is really unfortunate that we can't use the built-in camera as a dashcam :|
Old 12-09-2019, 09:29 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
Wow that looks like a lot of work it is really unfortunate that we can't use the built-in camera as a dashcam :|
I wish Mercedes can enable that option, but until then, I will stay with the dashcam installation. (But if they do enable it, it will most likely means it will have the rear camera "open" the entire time, or else it might miss the initial impact recording (since camera cover is closed until camera in use)
Also, it would be much easier to install if I just want to stick the camera onto the windshield and use the 12v power at the front and hang the wire down , but I would rather spend the extra time to hide the wire so that it is a clean installation and also with the benefit of parking mode recording with the backup battery.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dashcam options