GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE 450 issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti
GLE 450 issues?

This model is probably still too new with recent deliveries just coming out and miles barely put on these models. However, have any new 2020 GLE owners experienced the "gremlins" that the 2019 X5 owners are having? Just curious.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
I would imagine if new owners were experiencing issues they would be posted on here, as you say X5 forum was full of them from day 1.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:19 AM

2020 GLE 450 4Matic
I purchased my 2020 GLE 450 4MATIC on March 30. It was on the dealer lot and came with Driver Assistance package (DISTRONIC assist); Premium package; 3rd row seats, running boards, 21” 5-spoke wheels; color is Grey with brown interior.

I have only driven about 400 miles, mostly around town and my 40 mile commute (roundtrip) to Newark. No issues to report thus far except remote start through the Mercedes app doesn’t always work. All the electronics work but the Mercedes voice recognition for navigation isn’t very good at finding points of interest (ok with addresses).

I am coming from a 2016 Lincoln MKX Black Label.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE
I have the same build. Got it last weekend. I noticed I couldn’t close the right rear seat window from driver side without holding the toggle up. Other window controls work as expected.

Edit: all windows are working normally today. Maybe just software glitches.

Last edited by cnnn; 04-09-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:47 PM

Bmw 535 GT
How is the 3rd row?

Originally Posted by veloduffer
I purchased my 2020 GLE 450 4MATIC on March 30. It was on the dealer lot and came with Driver Assistance package (DISTRONIC assist); Premium package; 3rd row seats, running boards, 21” 5-spoke wheels; color is Grey with brown interior.

I have only driven about 400 miles, mostly around town and my 40 mile commute (roundtrip) to Newark. No issues to report thus far except remote start through the Mercedes app doesn’t always work. All the electronics work but the Mercedes voice recognition for navigation isn’t very good at finding points of interest (ok with addresses).

I am coming from a 2016 Lincoln MKX Black Label.
May i know the 3rd row legroom size? Wonder if they can fit a 5ft kid decently. Thanks
Old 04-29-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 GLE 450 4MATIC
2020 GLE450 with downshift kicks and whining

I just got mine a few days ago. I trade a 2016 GLE350 for this one. I notice that this model have very noticeable downshift kicks and whining noises at I will not expect from this vehicle. The older model had no issues.
Does anyone knows if this is normal? Should I take it back to the service department for to be check?
Thanks
Old 04-29-2019, 03:26 PM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2020 GLE 300d
Originally Posted by cheapren
May i know the 3rd row legroom size? Wonder if they can fit a 5ft kid decently. Thanks
I (about 5,8 ft) have tested the 3rd row and I would say it's manageable/feasible. For my wife (about 5,2 ft) I would say there is decent legroom. Actually, I'm much more concerned about the middle seat of the second row which is uncomfortable...
Old 04-29-2019, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by CTRIO
I just got mine a few days ago. I trade a 2016 GLE350 for this one. I notice that this model have very noticeable downshift kicks and whining noises at I will not expect from this vehicle. The older model had no issues.
Does anyone knows if this is normal? Should I take it back to the service department for to be check?
Thanks
Mine is very quiet. I can feel some downshifts but they seem normal.
The following users liked this post:
CTRIO (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 04:51 PM

2020 GLE 450 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Mine is very quiet. I can feel some downshifts but they seem normal.
Thanks for the comments, Ron.
I got an appointment to take the vehicle in for check up this Wednesday May 2. I will post the outcome as soon as I get the car back.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:41 AM

2020 GLE 450 4MATIC
Thanks for the comments, Ron.
I got an appointment to take the vehicle in for check up this Wednesday May 2. I will post the outcome as soon as I get the car back.
Thanks
Update!

I took the vehicle to the dealer this morning. The shop foreman test drove the car and told me that the downshift kicks and whining noise under braking are common/normal of the EQ boost motor equipped models (E, GLE & CLS class). It is due to the nature of the 48 Volts EQ motor during regenerating braking. Under braking this motor also functions as a brake and that is where the whining noise comes from. Since the EQ motor is also braking and it is directly attach to the transmission the downshifts are felt on the vehicle. The harder you brake the harder the downshifts will be felt.
I really hate to feel vibration on the vehicle while driving and that was the main reason for me to get the EQ and the AIRMATIC on my vehicle. I was trying to get the smoothest drive possible.I test drove the GLE350 and did not like the fact that the auto-start function on this model was very annoying since the vehicle shakes a lot during engine start. On the other hand the GLE450 does not have a starter motor. it uses the EQ to start the engine and it is very smooth. It is almost like a hybrid vehicle.
Unfortunately I cannot change the vehicle at this point. I would prefer to choose the GLE350 and turn off the auto-start every time I get into the vehicle than spend the $2k in suspension and feel the downshifts every time you brake. Personally I rather spent 35k more to get the 2020 GLE63 but unfortunate for me I cannot afford that.
Don't get me wrong, the 2020 GLE 450 is great but the I did not expect this from this vehicle. I could not test drive one in December when I place my order.
Thanks

Last edited by CTRIO; 05-01-2019 at 09:47 AM. Reason: typo!
Old 05-01-2019, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update!

I took the vehicle to the dealer this morning. The shop foreman test drove the car and told me that the downshift kicks and whining noise under braking are common/normal of the EQ boost motor equipped models (E, GLE & CLS class). It is due to the nature of the 48 Volts EQ motor during regenerating braking. Under braking this motor also functions as a brake and that is where the whining noise comes from. Since the EQ motor is also braking and it is directly attach to the transmission the downshifts are felt on the vehicle. The harder you brake the harder the downshifts will be felt.
I really hate to feel vibration on the vehicle while driving and that was the main reason for me to get the EQ and the AIRMATIC on my vehicle. I was trying to get the smoothest drive possible.I test drove the GLE350 and did not like the fact that the auto-start function on this model was very annoying since the vehicle shakes a lot during engine start. On the other hand the GLE450 does not have a starter motor. it uses the EQ to start the engine and it is very smooth. It is almost like a hybrid vehicle.
Unfortunately I cannot change the vehicle at this point. I would prefer to choose the GLE350 and turn off the auto-start every time I get into the vehicle than spend the $2k in suspension and feel the downshifts every time you brake. Personally I rather spent 35k more to get the 2020 GLE63 but unfortunate for me I cannot afford that.
Don't get me wrong, the 2020 GLE 450 is great but the I did not expect this from this vehicle. I could not test drive one in December when I place my order.
Thanks
Thanks for the update. One point....the E-ABC wouldn’t change anything would it? It’s just a form of air suspension there is still the same EQ Boost System. I haven’t driven with my windows down but don’t really notice any whine. Solid shifts seem to be the nature of new transmissions that are built differently than in the past. The new Dual Clutch transmissions are even firmer shifting.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,183 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Rough shift down of tranny

Thanks
I have not experienced this either. Is it in all drive modes?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:42 AM

2020 GLE 450 4MATIC
Thanks for the update. One point....the E-ABC wouldn’t change anything would it? It’s just a form of air suspension there is still the same EQ Boost System. I haven’t driven with my windows down but don’t really notice any whine. Solid shifts seem to be the nature of new transmissions that are built differently than in the past. The new Dual Clutch transmissions are even firmer shifting.
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I have not experienced this either. Is it in all drive modes?
Rons,;
The suspension type will not make any difference since the cause is coming from the EQ motor. I just mention that I will prefer to spend the money on a better suspension ( GLE 350 with E-ABC) rather than the I6 with EQ boost of the 450 to get a smoother ride.
Greg;
The noise is only noticeable with close windows and radio off/mute or very l
ow volume. I'm in Miami Florida and my commute is about 1 hour each way in heavy traffic. This means that I'm on the brakes constantly.
I have only driven the car in Comfort mode so far. I guess that the shift may be harder in Sport mode or manual.
I will turn the radio up and be very gentle with the brakes from now on.

Last edited by CTRIO; 05-01-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Rons,;
The suspension type will not make any difference since the cause is coming from the EQ motor. I just mention that I will prefer to spend the money on a better suspension ( GLE 350 with E-ABC) rather than the I6 with EQ boost of the 450 to get a smoother ride.
Greg;
The noise is only noticeable with close windows and radio off/mute or very l
ow volume. I'm in Miami Florida and my commute is about 1 hour each way in heavy traffic. This means that I'm on the brakes constantly.
I have only driven the car in Comfort mode so far. I guess that the shift may be harder in Sport mode or manual.
I will turn the radio up and be very gentle with the brakes from now on.
I had some ladies with me today that have great hearing and they could not hear a thing with the Radio off. We all heard a very faint whirring sound when the brakes are applied but that’s the sound of the brake pads on the rotors....my guess. It’s less pronounced than on our Audi. You might ask to drive a demo and compare.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:08 PM

BMW X5 2016
I had some ladies with me today that have great hearing and they could not hear a thing with the Radio off. We all heard a very faint whirring sound when the brakes are applied but that’s the sound of the brake pads on the rotors....my guess. It’s less pronounced than on our Audi. You might ask to drive a demo and compare.
Hi Ron, did you feel the downshift kicks?
Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JBAM
Hi Ron, did you feel the downshift kicks?
Nothing out of the ordinary-there are occasional shifts I can feel but my wife doesn’t notice them. I made a point of asking her to tell me if she could “feel” any shifts & she couldn’t. There is a difference between solid or firm shifts and clunky ones that indicate somethings out of tolerance. There are rumors of some parts “out of tolerance” causing production delays so there are probably some early Prototypes and Dealer preconfigured builds with issues.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:44 PM

BMW X5 2016
Nothing out of the ordinary-there are occasional shifts I can feel but my wife doesn’t notice them. I made a point of asking her to tell me if she could “feel” any shifts & she couldn’t. There is a difference between solid or firm shifts and clunky ones that indicate somethings out of tolerance. There are rumors of some parts “out of tolerance” causing production delays so there are probably some early Prototypes and Dealer preconfigured builds with issues.
Thank you Ron
Old 05-10-2019, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Issue with Offroad functions of ABC

Not many posts in this thread, which is good! So, I have been unable to get either Free Driving or Individual Wheel Control to work on mine. I've read the manual several times and tried different things. I'm reaching out to the dealer now, but I'm sure they have no experience with this system.

Attached Files
Old 05-10-2019, 02:25 PM

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
2021 GLE53 AMG
Thanks
I was talking with the salesmen at the dealership yesterday while I was picking up my GLE350 and he said he could tell a noticeable difference in noise between the 350 and 450. He actually said he is going to eventually get a 350 because it’s much quieter.

—SORRY, I just saw you’re updated post.

Last edited by GeNomeZ; 05-10-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Not many posts in this thread, which is good! So, I have been unable to get either Free Driving or Individual Wheel Control to work on mine. I've read the manual several times and tried different things. I'm reaching out to the dealer now, but I'm sure they have no experience with this system.
User error. I was not finding Off-road mode below Eco which you have to select before Off-road Assistant is selectable.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GeNomeZ
I was talking with the salesmen at the dealership yesterday while I was picking up my GLE350 and he said he could tell a noticeable difference in noise between the 350 and 450. He actually said he is going to eventually get a 350 because it’s much quieter.
Bull-pucky! My 450 is very quiet.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
"he is going to eventually get a 350 because it’s much quieter" - now that's a real chuckle - and a outright lie - either a lie from ignorance or a lie by intention..

The new 350 Turbo 4 engine revs higher and "pulls" harder which is quite noticeable as compared to the 450... and the actually the "new" GLE350 has more noticeable engine noise than the GLE350 V6... not "bad" but noticeable if you drive the "old" before you drive the "new".
Old 05-11-2019, 01:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE
I was planning to get a 350 until I tested drive both. Went for a 450.
The following users liked this post:
bad habit (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
No dealer when handing over a car is going to say you bought the wrong engine, they are there to please customers.

All the reviews of GLE (mostly 450 ones) say how quiet it is.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:32 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 450 / E450 Cabriolet
I find the 450 to be very quiet. I was initially ddissapointed that it came with Bridgestone Alenza tires but they seem to be part of the quietness.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE 450 issues?