A note about CarPlay on the 2020 GLE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2022, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by glcbabe
I have installed the tow hitch (factory) on Merc, now I can't use the kick open trunk feature, is that "engineering"?
After delivery installation? My factory installed hitch still allows that function.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 785 Likes on 505 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
@mikapen "Rushing out to buy the most recalled brand out there - Hyundai. Not "greedy" like M-B, they "save" your money by leaving out actual engineering"

You say this without looking at it. I own both and I can vouch for it.
Which car has more maintenance/breakdown cost? If they actually "engineered" merc, it would have less "cost to own".

Look how merc "placed" cigarette socket, If you have cables connected (Of course you do, there is no wireless charger!)
how do you propose to plug anything there?
I have installed the tow hitch (factory) on Merc, now I can't use the kick open trunk feature, is that "engineering"?

Hyundai has confidence in their "engineering" to offer 7 years warranty, dare Merc, they would
be surely bankrupt.
I don't disagree with you regarding the GLE. I personally would never buy a GLE in 2022 for the reasons you describe.

But don't you feel like an idiot buying a GLE in 2022? I mean if you had bought for the same money a Genesis GV80, a Porsche Cayenne or a BMW X5 - you would have full screen wireless CarPlay too. Or you could have
Old 06-14-2022, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Completely disagree, I tried very hard. MBUX Nav always showed completely illogical weird, longer routes to interior roads. Always.
No way, they are beating google (Or even waze, the way it has performed with me!)
I agree. Just tried Mercedes for a few days and it’s lacking in several ways-for the way I use it. To send a text it gets confused often if a combine send a text and the name I have in my contacts. Same with destinations. Take an extra step and it works better but it’s still slow…but “pretty looking”.
Google is updating Android Auto and maps constantly. Mercedes Maps seem to lag Google in my area in updates and accuracy.
Mercedes commands might work better on the new system with the center console screen like the S and new GLC. our system seems to be dormant to enhancements as they work on the next new one. For me it’s the whole package…maps, commands, text, etc.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 GLE 350 4Matic Bk/Bg, 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Calligraphy Q-White/Beige, 2011 BMW 335 xi
No, I had custom ordered my car. It came installed on the train from factory.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:15 PM

2022 GLE 350 4Matic Bk/Bg, 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe Calligraphy Q-White/Beige, 2011 BMW 335 xi
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I don't disagree with you regarding the GLE. I personally would never buy a GLE in 2022 for the reasons you describe.

But don't you feel like an idiot buying a GLE in 2022? I mean if you had bought for the same money a Genesis GV80, a Porsche Cayenne or a BMW X5 - you would have full screen wireless CarPlay too. Or you could have
Kinda, but my wife is least techy and she did not care about any of that. She will be driving it the most.
She doesn't even use Driver's assist. I ordered that option just for me when I use that car.
I have broken in the car for her before she ruins the engine! LOL. Also I will be driving that thing on long
journeys.
If it was for me, I would never buy that. I drive my beloved Santa Fe (occasionally re-acquire BMW from my son, LOL)
Couldn't agree more on Genesis, I did consider GV70, but for various reasons, ended up with Santa Fe instead.
Trying to wean away from fast cars. Santa Fe was perfect middle ground in that process.
May be I'm fooling myself. Will see.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
After delivery installation? My factory installed hitch still allows that function.
No, I had custom ordered my car. It came installed on the train from factory.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Kinda, but my wife is least techy and she did not care about any of that. She will be driving it the most.
She doesn't even use Driver's assist. I ordered that option just for me when I use that car.
I have broken in the car for her before she ruins the engine! LOL. Also I will be driving that thing on long
journeys.
If it was for me, I would never buy that. I drive my beloved Santa Fe (occasionally re-acquire BMW from my son, LOL)
Couldn't agree more on Genesis, I did consider GV70, but for various reasons, ended up with Santa Fe instead.
Trying to wean away from fast cars. Santa Fe was perfect middle ground in that process.
May be I'm fooling myself. Will see.
In my view Santa Fe is good bang for buck, but while it has a lot of nice features, it is nonetheless a cheap car when you look at the build and mechanicals. Cheap build quality (thin panels, more chassis flex), cheap engine, cheap suspension. A lot of people don't care about that sort of thing but I do. I would never drive a Hyundai or KIA. Genesis is a different story - they have quality cars. There is more to a quality car than a screen.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Completely disagree, I tried very hard. MBUX Nav always showed completely illogical weird, longer routes to interior roads. Always.
No way, they are beating google (Or even waze, the way it has performed with me!)
You might check your NAV settings.
You may have "avoid tolls," "scenic route," "avoid unpaved," "avoid bridges," or " only use towing routes" selected.

If I run Waze in the center screen and NAV in the Cluster screen, MBUX quickly recognizes traffic slowdowns and Most Importantly, clearing of those slowdowns and accidents. Waze takes HOURS to clear, and MBUX it's nearly instant. No way Waze can compete with the better "Here" system.

Plus, MBUX can use What3Words for NAV, which is much more precise.
Waze is ancient and slow.

I think you can fix your MBUX with settings.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
In my view Santa Fe is good bang for buck, but while it has a lot of nice features, it is nonetheless a cheap car when you look at the build and mechanicals. Cheap build quality (thin panels, more chassis flex), cheap engine, cheap suspension. A lot of people don't care about that sort of thing but I do. I would never drive a Hyundai or KIA. Genesis is a different story - they have quality cars. There is more to a quality car than a screen.
Agree about build quality! But the pain it comes with for daily annoyances bugs me too much.
Even the high end car engines come with their own quirks. Like so called cheap "engines" never fail
however high end car engines are plagued with issues like turbo failures (BMW), loss of engine oil (Audi/Merc).
So much so, Merc added the clause in their manual about engine oil loss! How in the hell engine likes to drink oil!

Hopefully my GLE 350 is not experience from hell, time will tell. It's too early for me to make any judgement
about overall experience of this car.
Old 06-14-2022, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Agree about build quality! But the pain it comes with for daily annoyances bugs me too much.
Even the high end car engines come with their own quirks. Like so called cheap "engines" never fail
however high end car engines are plagued with issues like turbo failures (BMW), loss of engine oil (Audi/Merc).
So much so, Merc added the clause in their manual about engine oil loss! How in the hell engine likes to drink oil!

Hopefully my GLE 350 is not experience from hell, time will tell. It's too early for me to make any judgement
Never had any of these issues you are describing.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
In 4-5 years following the Mercedes GLE Forum and owning a 2020 and 2021 I have not seen or heard of an Oil issue. Obviously there could be some but certainly not many/any drinking oil. My 10 & 20k service intervals had oil showing at full…almost concerning that they don’t use more oil. Manufacturers seem to put high oil consumption numbers in the manual to cover their a$$.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:13 AM

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
2021 GLS450 2020 GLE350 2005 BMW 325ci Convertible
@mikapen "
Look how merc "placed" cigarette socket, If you have cables connected (Of course you do, there is no wireless charger!)
I've got wireless charging in my 2020. Perhaps yours was just removed due to parts shortages.
i have the factory hitch and can use the kick feature with few issues.

Old 06-15-2022, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
@mikapen "Rushing out to buy the most recalled brand out there - Hyundai. Not "greedy" like M-B, they "save" your money by leaving out actual engineering"

You say this without looking at it. I own both and I can vouch for it.
Which car has more maintenance/breakdown cost? If they actually "engineered" merc, it would have less "cost to own".

Hyundai has confidence in their "engineering" to offer 7 years warranty, dare Merc, they would
be surely bankrupt.
I wouldn't comment on something "without looking at it." I spent time with Hyundai and Genesis, and they are improved over the '90's but still a few models behind the curve.

Hyundai/Kia initially focused on selling "look-alike" knockoffs of luxury brands. How embarrassing to see a Hyundai trying to look like a Jaguar, but that's how they made their inroads into the US markets.
Now their designers in Irvine CA are doing a much better job of parroting design elements of luxury cars, but the content is still lacking. They did have success, though, in convincing the Public that fancy names like "Napa Leather" (have you compared to M-B's premium Napa?) and recycling old tech like engines and drive-trains will convince buyers.

Every time a Manufacturer offers an unusually long warranty, they are trying to advertise over customers' perception of early failures. As has been the case with Hyundai for decades.
Advertising works! It fooled Consumer Reports, who ignored all the recalls and tech bulletins, and it's good medicine for owners, who are less worried about what just left them on the side of the road.

I agree that the 167 models did a poor job of storage compartments and USB-C placement, but I have been able to figure it out.
The following users liked this post:
bsandyk44 (08-16-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 08:11 PM

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
This thread needs to be retitled to: First World Problems”.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:00 PM

LOL, is there a setting for this?

This destination is on the other side of the road with median in between! It should be asking me to go up and make u-turn.
Benz maps are plain STUPID!