GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

A note about CarPlay on the 2020 GLE

Old 04-11-2019, 01:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE
A note about CarPlay on the 2020 GLE

Update: there is a petition from the community for widescreen CarPlay on change.org. Not sure how useful it is but only takes a few seconds to sign it. http://chng.it/bf9kWqnfyb
I was using CarPlay today on the GLE and noticed something different from the CarPlay on previous models and what I expected.

First thing I noticed after starting CarPlay was the smaller than expected view. On the 2020 GLE, CarPlay is more like an app running on MBUX. The CarPlay view does not take the entire center screen, so you’ll only get 2x4 app layout. On the E class, CarPlay is fullscreen, so you get 2x5 app layout. This is even more important in navigation because the wider view makes huge difference. Not sure why MBUX can’t make it fullscreen. Hopefully this car be addressed in software update.

CarPlay on the 2020 GLE

CarPlay on E class

The next thing kinda bothers me is, once you’ve navigated out of CarPlay, and want to go back to CarPlay, it takes 3-4 clicks/taps to get in from MBUX Home screen.
Edit: It turns out there is a shortcut button on top of Home screen. Too small I just noticed it today. This button seems to only show up at home screen.

Unlike my wife’s 2018 CLA, the Navi button won’t navigate back to CarPlay, even if CarPlay has an active guidance in Apple Maps in the background. Voice assistant doesn’t know how to go back to CarPlay either. Maybe I can add it to favorites to make it easier to switch back. It is impossible to add CarPlay or any other apps in Mercedes Me to favorites.

When CarPlay starts navigation, the navigation in MBUX will automatically stop, and vice versa.

Still no wireless CarPlay, and no turn by turn guidance in instrument cluster.

Last edited by cnnn; 12-17-2019 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:59 AM

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Hopefully these irritations get ironed out soon.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:16 AM

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by cnnn
First thing I noticed after starting CarPlay was the smaller than expected view. On the 2020 GLE, CarPlay is more like an app running on MBUX. The CarPlay view does not take the entire center screen, so you’ll only get 2x4 app layout. On the E class, CarPlay is fullscreen, so you get 2x5 app layout. This is even more important in navigation because the wider view makes huge difference. Not sure why MBUX can’t make it fullscreen. Hopefully this car be addressed in software update.
Can it display media info/album art at the same time as CarPlay navigation (Apple Map/Google/Waze)? Or a way of displaying album art at all?

I personally don't really care about full screen - the extra width in the map doesn't add much apart from looking nicer.
I much prefer a way of split screen like BMWs where you the album art/media meta is displayed at the same time as Google Map.
Currently with my GLE, there is no way of displaying the album art, and I have to toggle back and forth to display the media info while running navigation.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE
Originally Posted by nosnoop
Can it display media info/album art at the same time as CarPlay navigation (Apple Map/Google/Waze)? Or a way of displaying album art at all?

I personally don't really care about full screen - the extra width in the map doesn't add much apart from looking nicer.
I much prefer a way of split screen like BMWs where you the album art/media meta is displayed at the same time as Google Map.
Currently with my GLE, there is no way of displaying the album art, and I have to toggle back and forth to display the media info while running navigation.
No there's no split screen. You will need to switch back and forth. Maybe you can use the play/pause button to bring up the MBUX currently playing overlay to go to next song, but that's not using CarPlay feature.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:31 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
16 GL550
i wonder if these issues have to do with MBUX? or it affects GLE without MBUX as well
Old 04-13-2019, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by rominl
i wonder if these issues have to do with MBUX? or it affects GLE without MBUX as well
MBUX is in all of the new GLE 350 & 450 as standard equipment.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 279 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
IMO there are a few deficiencies with the way MBUX supports CarPlay. No wireless support (yet) and MBUX does not to use the entire width of the 12.3" display for CarPlay. I understand a number of buyers do not use an iPhone so these gripes do not matter to them but for those that do, it matters. Our BMW X7 does support wireless CarPlay and makes use of the entire screen. It also supports split screens:

Old 04-13-2019, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
acura rdx
[QUOTE=JoeMa;7731010]IMO there are a few deficiencies with the way MBUX supports CarPlay. No wireless support (yet) and MBUX does not to use the entire width of the 12.3" display for CarPlay. I understand a number of buyers do not use an iPhone so these gripes do not matter to them but for those that do, it matters. Our BMW X7 does support wireless CarPlay and makes use of the entire screen. ]

From what you have found so far, do you think android auto is a possibility on X7?..Will it be just a software update? GLE has both.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kukipie
From what you have found so far, do you think android auto is a possibility on X7?..Will it be just a software update? GLE has both.
From what I’ve read BMW has no plans to support Android Auto which is an odd decision. There are far more android users than iPhone users in the world. And that may be why Mercedes hasn’t yet supported wireless CarPlay. It may have been necessary to do wired connections to support both systems. But as an iPhone user I really have no horse in the race for supporting both.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoeMa:
kukipie (04-13-2019), Wassaby (12-05-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 06:22 PM

16 GL550
Originally Posted by Ron.s
MBUX is in all of the new GLE 350 & 450 as standard equipment.
thanks for the correction, definitely not familiar enough with the new GLE. somehow i thought MBUX is an option on the GLE (thought i saw something about MBUX as option when building one).

this is definitely a problem with carplay imho, not utilizing the full screen and no split screen.... never looked at the x5 so far, i wonder how that car is in terms of carplay. i know Joe's x7 has carplay well integrated
Old 04-13-2019, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

this is definitely a problem with carplay imho, not utilizing the full screen and no split screen.... never looked at the x5 so far, i wonder how that car is in terms of carplay. i know Joe's x7 has carplay well integrated.
The X5 has the same infotainment system as the X7 but if you read the X5 forum (Bimmerpost) it is full of complaints about CarPlay issues. I’m not sure why there are far less issues with the X7 but it is what it is for now. No doubt the BMW engineers are working on software fixes for the X5.
The following users liked this post:
rominl (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 12:02 AM

16 GL550
Originally Posted by JoeMa
The X5 has the same infotainment system as the X7 but if you read the X5 forum (Bimmerpost) it is full of complaints about CarPlay issues. I’m not sure why there are far less issues with the X7 but it is what it is for now. No doubt the BMW engineers are working on software fixes for the X5.
yeah all the complaints i have read on the x5 makes me not consider it at all. on the other hand x7 seems ok and you also confirmed it.

right now we have GL550 and we are thinking of moving into the GLE450. however the current production delay doesn't look good. i don't like being the first few to get the car, both potential issues and also less discount. i wonder what it will be like towards oct when our lease is up
Old 04-26-2019, 09:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 GLE450
I wonder if there will ever be a fix for this, if not already? Is this also happening to android auto? Anyone know?
Old 04-26-2019, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,166 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
MBUX

thanks for the correction, definitely not familiar enough with the new GLE. somehow i thought MBUX is an option on the GLE (thought i saw something about MBUX as option when building one).
You probably saw the MBUX Technology Package, which adds Augmented Video to Nav, Head Up Display and Interior Assistant.
rominl (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jxl007
I wonder if there will ever be a fix for this, if not already? Is this also happening to android auto? Anyone know?
Android Auto has the same partial screen image but that may be AA not having a widescreen option yet. I’m guessing it will change. Compared to MBUX, AA looks very plain. The native Nav is very good and has some of the AA functions such as voice search, maybe traffic alerts and ability to have numerous preset destinations. How well everything works-can’t say for certain but no issues yet. Waze isn’t very useful in my area so I might be happy with limited use of AA.
I did notice one nice feature. With the phone paired BT and not USB, the long press on the steering wheel takes you to Google Assistant on my Pixel 3. I was able to get the same questions answered that I can connected AA such as “how far to XYZ” town, or where is the nearest Chevron Station. Didn’t think to try Navigate but assume it would work but on the phone.
There may be potential for future enhancements. The MBUX screens have beautiful graphics and instant response, it’s a very nice product.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:13 PM

16 GL550
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
You probably saw the MBUX Technology Package, which adds Augmented Video to Nav, Head Up Display and Interior Assistant.
must be it, thanks for clarifying!
Old 05-06-2019, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Android Auto has the same partial screen image but that may be AA not having a widescreen option yet. I’m guessing it will change. Compared to MBUX, AA looks very plain. The native Nav is very good and has some of the AA functions such as voice search, maybe traffic alerts and ability to have numerous preset destinations. How well everything works-can’t say for certain but no issues yet. Waze isn’t very useful in my area so I might be happy with limited use of AA.
I did notice one nice feature. With the phone paired BT and not USB, the long press on the steering wheel takes you to Google Assistant on my Pixel 3. I was able to get the same questions answered that I can connected AA such as “how far to XYZ” town, or where is the nearest Chevron Station. Didn’t think to try Navigate but assume it would work but on the phone.
There may be potential for future enhancements. The MBUX screens have beautiful graphics and instant response, it’s a very nice product.
Looks like better screen usage by Android Auto on the way.

Google refreshes Android Auto with new features and a darker look

Kirsten Korosec@kirstenkorosec / 9 hours ago
Comment
Android Auto — the in-car platform that brings the look and functions of a smartphone to the vehicle’s central screen — is getting a new look and improved navigation and communication features that will roll out this summer.

The improvements and new look were revealed Monday during Google I/O 2019, the annual developer conference.

The most noticeable change might be the overall look of Android Auto. It now has a dark theme, new fonts and color accents designed to make it easier for drivers to quickly and more easily see the content on the car’s central screen.

The new version of Android Auto has also improved its notifications. Drivers can choose to view, listen and respond to messages and calls more easily.

Engineers have updated the software to make it more seamless. The system, if properly enabled, would pop up on the car’s screen once the vehicle was turned on. However, the user would still have to restart their media or navigation option. Now, Android Auto will continue playing the media and navigation app of the driver’s choice. Drivers can tap on a suggested location or say “Hey Google” to navigate to a new place.

The navigation bar on Android Auto has changed, as well. Drivers will be able to see their turn-by-turn directions and control apps and phone on the same screen.

Finally, the platform has been adjusted so it will fit various sized-screens. Android Auto now maximizes the in-car display to show more information, like next-turn directions, playback controls and ongoing calls.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:55 PM
Banned

Received 139 Likes on 99 Posts
A
Talking

Watching the 2019 WWDC noticed an update is coming with iOS 13 and Apple CarPlay. The car they have is actually a Mercedes so I am guessing we will be getting a nice split screen and other goodies soon

Old 06-14-2019, 04:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by bad habit
Watching the 2019 WWDC noticed an update is coming with iOS 13 and Apple CarPlay. The car they have is actually a Mercedes so I am guessing we will be getting a nice split screen and other goodies soon
You're right! Good to hear.

From https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ios-13/
CarPlay in iOS 13 has been overhauled with a new Dashboard view for music, maps, and more, a new Calendar app, and Siri support for third-party navigation and audio apps.
Also:
https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/13/hands-on-carplay-ios-13/
Old 06-14-2019, 05:19 PM

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
2021 GLE53 AMG
I’m not sure if we need an update from Mercedes as well, but I have iOS 13 Developer Beta and CarPlay is still not optimized for the bigger screens in our GLE’s. Maybe it will be in an updated version of iOS 13.

If anyone is interested I can take some pictures, but it just doesn't use the full real estate of the screen just like CarPlay in iOS 12.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 GLE 450
cnnn

After watching tons of videos of the MBUX system in the new GLE it seems most agree the new MBUX nav is so much better than even Waze or google maps that most aren't using CarPlay for nav. How does it work for music and podcasts/audible etc?

Last edited by tjobi; 06-14-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:20 PM

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
Apple maps = crap. I see no need for car play.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Can use waze and Google maps with carplay
The following 2 users liked this post by turko:
Pachole (06-15-2019), rominl (06-19-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by tjobi
cnnn

After watching tons of videos of the MBUX system in the new GLE it seems most agree the new MBUX nav is so much better than even Waze or google maps that most aren't using CarPlay for nav. How does it work for music and podcasts/audible etc?
For music my Pixel Phone becomes a music source toggled to on the input selection like radio stations. Assume Apple would be the same. Connects BT and works pretty seamless connecting back mid song where it was when you turned off the car. I don’t do podcasts so??. The Mercedes Nav is very good and I use it most of the time. I wouldn’t say it’s better than Google Maps in function but the full screen display, integration and graphics make it more pleasant to use. You can ask Mercedes for a lot of common destinations by name but it still isn’t as good as Google Assistant for tougher less common things. I can still access Google Assistant by long press on voice even when the phone isn’t plugged in USB. I’m impressed overall and it should get better with time.
tjobi (06-29-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 139 Likes on 99 Posts
A
Originally Posted by guitarplayer
Apple maps = crap. I see no need for car play.
Well, they massively overhauled Apple Maps in IOS 13, I would say that they might be better than google maps for USA by the end of this year once they complete continental US mapping.
Waze I only use for the police reports, other than that Google Maps is superior with its lane guidance and more practical routing.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A note about CarPlay on the 2020 GLE