GLE 450-Some Random Thoughts & More

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 05:29 PM
DMG

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2001 G500
Originally Posted by DMG
I have the same question. If anyone knows what this car in the circle in the HUD means please let us know!

I have a few other minor questions that I've searched the manual for without success:

1. If I leave my wife and child in the car to go run into a store, with the car running and the keys in the car, invariably the engine stops and the air-conditioner stops. I can't for the life of me figure out how to prevent this from happening. Taking auto-stop off doesn't do the trick.
2. It would be super if you could get the name of the song that is being played on Sirius XM to appear in the instrument panel, or the station name in the HUD (as opposed to "Station 50"). Anyone know how to change this?
3. I can almost never get the trunk to open by kicking my foot on either side of the tow hitch. Its worked a few times when I first got the car. Anyone else have any luck with this?
Sorry to quote myself but I have an update.
1. On the first issue of the car shutting off by itself: I've learned from the manual that it does this by design, if you leave the car running for 3 minutes after driving it, it shuts itself off. And the AC with it. So if you think you are going to keep your family cool while you run into the store, you have to turn the engine off and then turn it back on while its in park and it will remain on for as long as you are away. And you won't come back to an angry wife. And it does this in all driving modes, although the manual I believe says only in Comfort or Eco.
2. I'm firmly convinced there is no way to change the Sirius XM display in the HUD to show anything other than the station number. It shows better info when you are using Bluetooth or Apple CarPlay.
3. The kick to open trunk works better now, I've been practicing my kicks. Wife watches in amazement, refuses to practice with me.
The following 2 users liked this post by DMG:
DaveD9 (07-22-2019), SmokinBuddha (07-24-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 05:44 PM
DMG

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2001 G500
I've also figure out what the Car in the Green Circle in the HUD means, it has to do with the ECO Assist, which is helping you to not accelerate when there is an "event" ahead (and also putting the car in neutral or regenerative breaking). Its unclear if the event is a slower car, a curve in the road, a traffic jam, or any or all of the above as its happening, but I apparently the full green circle means you are at or almost at the event, and you should just leave your foot off the accelerator. That's my understanding in case any one else was wondering. I know one other poster asked the same question.

I think that the best settings for the stereo seem to be bass all the way down, in the negative territory, and mids up, and I leave the treble alone. I have the 1st level Burmester, not the expensive one. I think it sounds great with that setting, although I thought it was terrible until I got to that. Just my opinion.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5

I found a button for the cup holders that I wasn’t aware was there. This might have been in other Mercedes vehicles but if you are new to Mercedes you might be in the dark like I was. The buttons to extend the cup prongs is hidden unless you lean forward. This will solve the flopping water bottles and similar drinks.
The following users liked this post:
marchgroupinc (07-23-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,191 Likes on 858 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Cup holders

Originally Posted by Ron.s
I found a button for the cup holders that I wasn’t aware was there. This might have been in other Mercedes vehicles but if you are new to Mercedes you might be in the dark like I was. The buttons to extend the cup prongs is hidden unless you lean forward. This will solve the flopping water bottles and similar drinks.
P. 122 in the manual, but the pictures are not very helpful. Mine came extended and didn't know you could retract them. That is rather clever.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 07-23-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Active Lane Keep Assist Off

A day before my appointment with the dealer and I figured out how to turn off ALKA. I couldn’t find anything new in the manual or internet search so I went through all the vehicle settings again. The manual says that you can turn off the warning, I assume that is the steering wheel vibration. I noticed that in the menu for ALKA that warning was switched on. I turned it off and also Lane Keep and after the car sitting all night ALKA is still off.
Here is the path: Home/Settings/Assistance/Active Lane Keep Assist-
Now with Warning set to off the ALKA we should be able to activate or Deactivate using the one touch icon in the quick menu after touching the home button.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:08 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
As I previously reported, my wife finds the Sport seats too hard, at least the back. I don’t like them as well as the ones in our ‘12 ML either. Haven’t taken a trip yet, but will in a couple weeks.
Both my builds right now have the AMG Line Interior, mostly because I like the looks of the steering wheel and the pedals a little better, but this has me wondering if I should reconsider the build that hasn't locked in yet and go with the multi contour massage seats. It didn't occur to me that the sport seats might be uncomfortable, and my test drive was so long ago now, I don't remember what kind of seats were in it.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by bigpern23
Both my builds right now have the AMG Line Interior, mostly because I like the looks of the steering wheel and the pedals a little better, but this has me wondering if I should reconsider the build that hasn't locked in yet and go with the multi contour massage seats. It didn't occur to me that the sport seats might be uncomfortable, and my test drive was so long ago now, I don't remember what kind of seats were in it.
All UK builds have AMG line interior and exterior and the seats are VERY comfortable.
bigpern23 (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seat comfort

Originally Posted by bigpern23
Seats are so personal, and you see people on here complaining about the Multicontours, as well. If I had it to do again I think I would go with the Nappa leather upholstery instead of the Dinamica.
bigpern23 (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Nappa leather also standard in UK.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:32 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Seats are so personal, and you see people on here complaining about the Multicontours, as well. If I had it to do again I think I would go with the Nappa leather upholstery instead of the Dinamica.
Now that you mention the Dinamica, I remember that the car I test drove was the MB-Tex Dinamica, not leather, so it couldn't have had the multi contour seats. Still not sure if it had the sport seats.

I went with the Dinamica on both builds, and I remember it being comfortable in the car I test drove. I think with my kids in the car, I'll be better off with the MB-Tex material. I think I'll be fine either way, I just get a little squirrelly because my current Infiniti gets uncomfortable after about two hours of driving and the Audi Q7 I test drove was killing my back after about 15 minutes. The Q8 with the comfort seat package, however, was like sitting in a cloud.

I considered swapping out the AMG Interior so that I could get the Driver Assistance Package, but with all the other required options (none of which I particularly cared for), I couldn't keep the options I wanted and keep the build around the same price as my original order.

Last edited by bigpern23; 07-23-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron.s
A day before my appointment with the dealer and I figured out how to turn off ALKA. I couldn’t find anything new in the manual or internet search so I went through all the vehicle settings again. The manual says that you can turn off the warning, I assume that is the steering wheel vibration. I noticed that in the menu for ALKA that warning was switched on. I turned it off and also Lane Keep and after the car sitting all night ALKA is still off.
Here is the path: Home/Settings/Assistance/Active Lane Keep Assist-
Now with Warning set to off the ALKA we should be able to activate or Deactivate using the one touch icon in the quick menu after touching the home button.
Forget the above it reset to on as soon as I put it in gear. At first I thought that it was reset by the OTA update but have since tested it and it resets back to on after some amount of time. Quick stop and it stays off but on a longer stop it’s back on. I was about an hour today and it was back on.....Grr.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My car was in to the dealer with my complaint about Active Lane Keep Assist not staying off and the Key Fob. According to Mercedes the ALKA is “working as presently designed”. They make it sound like it might change in the future so it could be a mistake to be fixed later.
The Key Fobs are defective and are being replaced. An internal switch is causing them to shut down power prematurely.
GeNomeZ (07-26-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 09:51 PM

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
Ron.......I figured something was wrong with your keys! Glad they are fixing it.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:19 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
94 Supra Turbo, 15 Jeep Wrangler Altitude, 2020 GLE 450
hmm.. a few things come to mind so far:

I am not liking how the "Remote Start" works. It's very nice that you do not have to be near the car at all but just use the app to remote start you car to start cooling or warming you car up. However when are nearing your car or plan to get in and you open the door or unlock your door with key fob the car shuts off..... I rather have it keep on and i just have to reverse/drive and not have to restart the car again.

I am not sure if everyone's GLE is like this but this upper console seems to be the cheapest part of the interior. The buttons are not flush and feels a bit janky... pic below:

Old 08-02-2019, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=Ninja_Ryan;7818802]hmm.. a few things come to mind so far:

I am not liking how the "Remote Start" works. It's very nice that you do not have to be near the car at all but just use the app to remote start you car to start cooling or warming you car up. However when are nearing your car or plan to get in and you open the door or unlock your door with key fob the car shuts off..... I rather have it keep on and i just have to reverse/drive and not have to restart the car again.

I am not sure if everyone's GLE is like this but this upper console seems to be the cheapest part of the interior. The buttons are not flush and feels a bit janky... pic below:
/QUOTE]
Others have mentioned the buttons. Mine are OK and mine doesn't shut off when I leave the car running. At least it didn't but I haven't tested it since I got my Updates. But I have more than my share of other minor issues.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:23 PM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Wow NinjaRyan, that's some pretty bad fit & finish. Glad mine are flush.
I'd have that reviewed by the dealer.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
94 Supra Turbo, 15 Jeep Wrangler Altitude, 2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by tiri
Wow NinjaRyan, that's some pretty bad fit & finish. Glad mine are flush.
I'd have that reviewed by the dealer.
Thanks for letting me know. I am gonna try to look at it myself and see if i can quickly make it flush somehow. If not I'll visit the dealer to have to looked at. My sales man already told me to bring it in.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by Ninja_Ryan
I agree. I have had 3 Lexus RX 450h's and a GMC Yukon Denali, and they all shut down when you opened a door!!! That drives me crazy when I start the car to get it cool and then it shuts down as soon as I open the rear hatch to put my golf clubs in.

Speaking of golf clubs, my biggest complaint is that you cannot put a set of clubs in the back straight across without removing your driver. You could do that in previous years. I know it's small, but I don't have too much else too complain about with this vehicle!!
Old 08-02-2019, 05:10 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
2013 SL550, 2016 GLE350, 2016 GLC300

We'll have super-dependable aftermarket remote starter coverage for this vehicle in the relatively near future!
Old 08-02-2019, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Overhead buttons not flush

I am not sure if everyone's GLE is like this but this upper console seems to be the cheapest part of the interior. The buttons are not flush and feels a bit janky...
It looks like maybe there's some damage to the front of the plastic trim where somebody pried on it? My buttons are perfectly flush:

Old 08-02-2019, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Angry 2008 gl 450 180,000 mi

Im having shifting problems occasionally when accelerating out of a near stop, usually cornering'
The acceleration feels of occasion like being bumped from behind.
I take the car to two German auto certified shops and for the last week its been at the local dealer.
All information and diagnosis states no transmission problems'
Only Intake Manifold and vacuum leaks
CEL on DTC Test 2092, 2096
one shop also added crankcase vent valve and oil filter housing and oil cooler seals
No fault or stored transmission codes.
I would appreciate any advice, runs great otherwise and shifts smoothly
Old 08-02-2019, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jemison60
Im having shifting problems occasionally when accelerating out of a near stop, usually cornering'
I take the car to two German auto certified shops and for the last week its been at the local dealer.
one shop also added crankcase vent valve and oil filter housing and oil cooler seals
You might get some help on the Forum for your model and age. This is for the new 2020 Gen GLE
Old 08-02-2019, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 450
Thank you
Old 08-02-2019, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jemison60
You’re in the wrong forum. This is for GLE 450. Cheers!
Old 08-13-2019, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Two weeks ago my car got an OTA update with no notice before or after from Mercedes. Two days later my dealer applied updates that were not documented while replacing my Key Fobs. I noticed when I got home that there was nothing noted on my work order. The dealer was unaware of the OTA. I’m waiting to return hoping that over time Mercedes will figure some of this out and my issues so far have been minor inconveniences. This lack of documentation is a first experience for me, surprising for a Luxury car. So far I have not determined any improvement from the updates and in fact have more issues than before.
Here are some recent new ones:
New Key Fob quit working to lock or unlock doors and hatch to include the touch feature or using the buttons. Shaking it didn’t work. Started working normally again later.
Kick to open is now inoperative the dozen times I tested.
The touch pad no longer works with Android Auto
The touch pad intermittently quits working with all applications including Quick Access. The select feature usually works but the swipe L/R and U/Down doesn’t. After a few minutes of driving it’s OK again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE 450-Some Random Thoughts & More