GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE 450/GLE 580 doubts questions & suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Range rover sport 5.0 supercharger
GLE 450/GLE 580 doubts questions & suggestions

Hi guys, I'm considering to replace my 2015 range rover sport V8 that went through several issues to air suspensions, hi-fi meridian system and transmission flush with a new GLE 450 or an audi Q8.

The GLE is cheaper and has the fancy e-active body control, too bad mercedes doesn't offer the rear steering wheels that you can get on the X5 and Q8. I think I'll go with the benz anyway and this is going to be my first time, we have the LR and a caddy CTS 3.0T as second car.

Since I didn't get time to go to the dealer yet, I'd like asking a couple of questions to people that already got to drive and own the new GLE. Any help will be appreciated.

1) Is the wood steering wheel heated? Or just the regular one?
2) Does it have the launch control function?
3) Does the second row slide/incline manually (like the audi Q8) when you don't get the electrically adjustable second row function?
4) Is or will be possible to get the offroad package in US or Canada?
5) Does it have a rear torque vectoring to better distribuite the torque between the rear wheels?
6) Is the glovebox chilled (or any other compartment) on the car?
7) Does it have a low pressure tyre monitoring system?

Finally, would you rather waiting for the upcoming GLE 580 (there are several information on internet already) or get the 6 cylinders now? My LR is probably quicker than the GLE 450, even though I'm not looking for any speed on a midsize suv.

Thanks and greetings from Seattle.

Last edited by Erasmo; 05-22-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:57 AM

I tryied to upload the building of my GLE 450 but I couldn't make it.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
I will answer these as far as I know. Some things might be different for different markets.

1) Is the wood steering wheel heated? No.
2) Does it have the launch control function? No.
3) Does the second row slide/incline manually (like the audi Q8) when you don't get the electrically adjustable second row function? Only with 3rd row package.
4) Is or will be possible to get the offroad package in US or Canada? Not that I am aware of, at this time.
5) Does it have a rear torque vectoring to better distribuite the torque between the rear wheels? 4matic distributes torque between front and rear wheels.
6) Is the glovebox chilled (or any other compartment) on the car? No.
7) Does it have a low pressure tyre monitoring system? Yes

Finally, would you rather waiting for the upcoming GLE 580 (there are several information on internet already) or get the 6 cylinders now? That depends if you want an I6 or V8. V8 will be more powerful, but probably less efficient.

Last edited by turko; 05-22-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Questions

Originally Posted by Erasmo
Hi guys, I'm considering to replace my 2015 range rover sport V8 that went through several issues to air suspensions, hi-fi meridian system and transmission flush with a new GLE 450 or an audi Q8.

The GLE is cheaper and has the fancy e-active body control, too bad mercedes doesn't offer the rear steering wheels that you can get on the X5 and Q8. I think I'll go with the benz anyway and this is going to be my first time, we have the LR and a caddy CTS 3.0T as second car.

Since I didn't get time to go to the dealer yet, I'd like asking a couple of questions to people that already got to drive and own the new GLE. Any help will be appreciated.
First of all, are you in the US (add location to profile)? For these responses I am going to assume you are.

1) Is the wood steering wheel heated? Or just the regular one?
I believe only the leather one, though I vaguely remember someone (maybe beth22) saying wood could be heated.
2) Does it have the launch control function?
There is what is called Start-Off Assist, where you deactivate ESP (Electronic Stability Program), select Sport or Sport+ mode, depress the brake, and rapidly depress the accelerator while releasing the brake. I have not tried it yet.
3) Does the second row slide/incline manually (like the audi Q8) when you don't get the electrically adjustable second row function?
No, unfortunately. In the US the 2nd row is fixed unless you get the 3rd row option, then it is electrically adjustable.
4) Is or will be possible to get the offroad package in US or Canada?
Not at this time; perhaps offered in the future.
5) Does it have a rear torque vectoring to better distribute the torque between the rear wheels?
No.
6) Is the glovebox chilled (or any other compartment) on the car?)
You can get heated and cooled cupholders. The glove box does have a vent that can introduce cool air if the AC is on.
7) Does it have a low pressure tyre monitoring system?
Of course, required in the US now.

Finally, would you rather waiting for the upcoming GLE 580 (there are several information on internet already) or get the 6 cylinders now? My LR is probably quicker than the GLE 450, even though I'm not looking for any speed on a midsize suv.
Personally, I think the forthcoming GLE 53 would be my preference. It has the same basic engine as the 450 but adds an electric supercharger. It will have active an anti-roll standard. But, it will not be out until next year. https://www.media.mbusa.com/releases...3?query=gle+53
Old 05-22-2019, 02:44 PM

Thanks, when I go to the dealer I'll have a lot of things to complain with, lol. I still find weird there are no chilled compartments or rear torque vectoring, all the main rivals get that stuff.
Btw, I could be wrong but I heard that the GLE 53 could be reserved to the european market only meanwhile the GLE 580 will be reserved to north america.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Models

TBtw, I could be wrong but I heard that the GLE 53 could be reserved to the european market only meanwhile the GLE 580 will be reserved to north america.
The link I gave you for the 53 is on MBUSA, so for sure it will come to the US, though could launch first in Europe. I don't know if the 580 will be available in Europe; I believe it is a short-term stopgap until the 53 & 63 are out.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:25 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Thanks, when I go to the dealer I'll have a lot of things to complain with, lol. I still find weird there are no chilled compartments or rear torque vectoring, all the main rivals get that stuff.
Btw, I could be wrong but I heard that the GLE 53 could be reserved to the european market only meanwhile the GLE 580 will be reserved to north america.
Isn't 4matic torque vectoring?

From: https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/performance/4matic

From a menacing winter storm to a challenging corner, 4MATIC all-wheel drive makes the most of available traction by precisely engaging all four wheels. More than letting all four tires do the work equally, 4MATIC features a number of advanced, and quick-thinking innovations to empower each wheel individually as conditions change. So whether you're starting out on a slippery patch, encountering a sudden change in the weather, or even rounding a dry curve, 4MATIC helps you put your best foot forward.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Torque Vectoring

Originally Posted by turko
Isn't 4matic torque vectoring?

From: https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/benz/performance/4matic
4MATIC+ uses a form of torque vectoring to maintain optimum traction, but I think he is referring to a system that sharpens turning in corners by braking the inside wheel slightly or using a special differential to transfer more torque to the outside wheel.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 05-22-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
4MATIC+ uses a form of torque vectoring to maintain optimum traction, but I think he is referring to a system that sharpens turning in corners by braking the inside wheel slightly to transfer torque to the outside wheel.
Audi has two methods of Torque Vectoring. One Applies braking to both inside wheels and the other uncouples the rear differential so that the inside and outside can turn at different speeds. At least that’s my understanding. The result is less centrifugal force in the car. I have the braking method and can attest that it makes a difference. I think that Mercedes has something similar in some 63 AMG’s.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
GLE 580 is now official:

Mercedes-Benz will further expand the GLE model range with the introduction of the V8-powered Mercedes-Benz GLE 580 4MATIC. The all- new Mercedes-Benz GLE introduced a host of new innovations that established new benchmarks in the industry. For example, the GLE is the first SUV in the Mercedes-Benz line up to introduce the revolutionary new E-ACTIVE BODY CONTROL suspension – the world’s first 48-volt active suspension system. The new generation GLE also premiered extended driver assistance systems with Active Stop-and-Go Assist and an available third row seat for the first time. The redesigned, luxurious GLE interior features the latest technology from Mercedes-Benz including the revolutionary Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX). This game-changing infotainment system offers intelligent voice control and natural language understanding, dual 12.3” digital touchscreen media displays, and augmented reality (AR) video for navigation.

At the heart of the GLE 580 4MATIC is the powerful, electrified V8 biturbo gasoline engine with a 48-volt on-board electrical system and integrated starter generator. This sophisticated powerplant offers an impressive output of 483 horsepower and 516 lb-ft of torque. In addition, the GLE 580 4MATIC is capable of producing an extra 184 lb-ft of torque and 21 horsepower through EQ Boost over short periods. The integrated starter generator (ISG) is responsible for hybrid functions such as EQ Boost and energy recuperation, resulting in fuel savings previously reserved for high-voltage hybrid technology.

The innovative ISG eliminates the need for a belt drive for ancillary components at the front of the engine, which reduces its overall length. The slim design of the engine, together with the physical separation of the intake/exhaust, creates space for a close-coupled exhaust after treatment.

The 48 V on-board electrical system serves not only high power consumers, such as the water pump and air-conditioning compressor, but also the integrated starter-generator (ISG), which also supplies energy to the battery by means of highly efficient energy recuperation.

The GLE 580 4MATIC also boasts the latest technological innovations from Mercedes-Benz including the variable 4MATIC all-wheel drive system. The revolutionary Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX) multimedia system with Voice Control and natural language understanding is further enhanced with the newly available MBUX Interior Assistant. This update allows for intuitive operation of different comfort and MBUX functions by movement recognition.

In addition to its powerful exterior design, the new GLE offers an entirely redesigned interior with a dual 12.3” digital instrument cluster and touchscreen display, increased space and legroom for passengers and integrated grab handles on the center console.

Starting at $76,800,* the GLE 580 4MATIC features an extensive list of standard equipment including AIRMATIC air suspension with adaptive damping, leather upholstery, and exterior AMG Line, and it is optionally available with 22” wheels.

The new Mercedes-Benz GLE 580 4MATIC joins the GLE 350, GLE 350 4MATIC and GLE 450 4MATIC models, and will go on sale in the U.S. in late 2019.

https://www.media.mbusa.com/releases...shedDescending

M
Old 05-22-2019, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Torque Vectoring

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Audi has two methods of Torque Vectoring. One Applies braking to both inside wheels and the other uncouples the rear differential so that the inside and outside can turn at different speeds. At least that’s my understanding. The result is less centrifugal force in the car. I have the braking method and can attest that it makes a difference. I think that Mercedes has something similar in some 63 AMG’s.
I think you got that partly right. The purpose of all differentials is to let the inside and outside wheels turn at different speeds. But, it takes a special design to have more torque applied to the outside wheels. There is a system that uses the brakes to transfer torque, but this is not favored in high performance cars (using brakes to go faster). The Audi S4, S5 & S6 with Sport Differential use special gears and clutches in the rear differential to transfer more torque to the outside rear wheel to reduce understeer and sharpen steering of these nose-heavy cars. None of this changes the centrifugal force.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think you got that partly right. The purpose of all differentials is to let the inside and outside wheels turn at different speeds. But, it takes a special design to have more torque applied to the outside wheels. There is a system that uses the brakes to transfer torque, but this is not favored in high performance cars (using brakes to go faster). The Audi S4, S5 & S6 with Sport Differential use special gears and clutches in the rear differential to transfer more torque to the outside rear wheel to reduce understeer and sharpen steering of these nose-heavy cars. None of this changes the centrifugal force.
I have to claim temporary insanity-I gave a great description of a differential. I think I’m correct on the centrifugal force. The ability to control Torque to each wheel results in all 4 wheels pulling equally through a corner so there is less force applied toward the outside reducing centrifugal force in that direction. That’s the way it was explained to me several times, the last time by a Porsche fanatic. He described it as more force being applied forward and less to the outside. Using layman’s terms.
This also affects steering. I recently ran a windy road 15 miles out of town with my wife back to back in our SQ5 and GLE at the same speed. My wife had to brace herself in the GLE in Sport Mode and very little in the Audi. The Audi stays flatter and is lighter so it’s not apples to apples.
My terminology may be wrong but all things equal....speed in a corner creates centrifugal force creating understeer. Torque Vectoring done correctly reduces understeer offsetting the effects of CF. This is far from my field of expertise so take it in that spirit.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:19 AM

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts
2015 S550, 2017 GLS450
I'm so glad the USA is getting the V8 GLE580 instead of the supercharged L6 AMG53! I love buttery smooth inline 6's but the engine balance on a V8 is almost as nice. And as someone works under the hood a lot, I appreciate the engine bay layout of the V8 over the cumbersome inline 6.

There is no replacement for displacement.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 580

Originally Posted by bkdc
I'm so glad the USA is getting the V8 GLE580 instead of the supercharged L6 AMG53! I love buttery smooth inline 6's but the engine balance on a V8 is almost as nice. And as someone works under the hood a lot, I appreciate the engine bay layout of the V8 over the cumbersome inline 6.

There is no replacement for displacement.
What we've heard from some sources, including dealer fabbrisd1, is that the 580 is a limited run stopgap, much like the 2019 GLE 400, and will go away when the 53 comes out.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is no way the US isn't getting the 53. The 580 is rumored to be a limited build so there may not be any available after the early orders are filled. To be sure one should have an order placed soon, IMO.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts
2015 S550, 2017 GLS450
Wow that makes it simple. V8 all the way. I don't think the fuel savings will be significant with the cylinder deactivation seen with the V8.
The following users liked this post:
Erasmo (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:34 PM

Maybe there is a chance for the offroad package on the GLE 580; many testers praised that on the bigger new GLS 580
Old 05-24-2019, 01:50 PM

What we've heard from some sources, including dealer fabbrisd1, is that the 580 is a limited run stopgap, much like the 2019 GLE 400, and will go away when the 53 comes out.
Getting back to the other post, I've found some offroad data of the old GLE with the offroad engineering package. Here are the pieces:

"The sense of freedom that the GLE radiates cannot be measured – but its off-road capabilities can. Its standard maximum climbing ability is 80 percent. With the Off-Road Engineering Package's off-road gear activated, it can tackle inclines of up to 100 percent – depending on the nature of the terrain. Thanks to short overhangs the angle of approach/departure at the front and rear is 26° – and with the Off-Road Engineering Package this increases to an impressive 30° at the front and 29° at the rear. The breakover angle is 17°. The fording depth of 50 centimetres can be increased to 60 centimetres with the Off-Road Engineering Package. Figures may differ depending on the engine variant and on-board equipment."

The breakover angle jumps to 22° with the offroad engineering package.

Compared to the specs you added on the other post, looks like approach, departure and ramp angle are the same of the new suv (expect for 1° less on the departure angle), but the wading depth dropped by 10 cm/4 inches. It could be due to the electric engine of the new GLE 450 or maybe they forgot on the new manual to specify that the offroad package give those extra inches of wading depth (because even the old GLE can ford 20 inches/23 inches of water based on the presence of the offroad engineering package or not.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by bkdc
Wow that makes it simple. V8 all the way. I don't think the fuel savings will be significant with the cylinder deactivation seen with the V8.

Not sure what you mean but isn't the 53 a 3 litre 6 cylinder, the 63 will be the V8.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Offroad specs

Getting back to the other post, I've found some offroad data of the old GLE with the offroad engineering package. Here are the pieces:

"The sense of freedom that the GLE radiates cannot be measured – but its off-road capabilities can. Its standard maximum climbing ability is 80 percent. With the Off-Road Engineering Package's off-road gear activated, it can tackle inclines of up to 100 percent – depending on the nature of the terrain. Thanks to short overhangs the angle of approach/departure at the front and rear is 26° – and with the Off-Road Engineering Package this increases to an impressive 30° at the front and 29° at the rear. The breakover angle is 17°. The fording depth of 50 centimetres can be increased to 60 centimetres with the Off-Road Engineering Package. Figures may differ depending on the engine variant and on-board equipment."

The breakover angle jumps to 22° with the offroad engineering package.

Compared to the specs you added on the other post, looks like approach, departure and ramp angle are the same of the new suv (expect for 1° less on the departure angle), but the wading depth dropped by 10 cm/4 inches. It could be due to the electric engine of the new GLE 450 or maybe they forgot on the new manual to specify that the offroad package give those extra inches of wading depth (because even the old GLE can ford 20 inches/23 inches of water based on the presence of the offroad engineering package or not.
The other post you refer to was in a different thread, the "Random Thoughts" one. The manual I posted does not indicate the Offroad package at all in those diagrams - I expect the specs to be similar to the old if not better.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:58 PM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2020 GLE 300d
The link I gave you for the 53 is on MBUSA, so for sure it will come to the US, though could launch first in Europe. I don't know if the 580 will be available in Europe; I believe it is a short-term stopgap until the 53 & 63 are out.
The 580 should be for the North-American market only according to articles in Europe.

In Europe, there is nearly no more 8 cylinders and 6 cylinders are more and more become 4 cylinders.

CO2, CO2....
Old 05-25-2019, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
8 Cylinders are just as prolific in europe, GLC has recently introduced 63 and 63s, 63gle planned for next year. Lots of 6 cylinders in petrol and diesel, 4 cylinders have always been around.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
E220d T
Originally Posted by Nico49_75
The 580 should be for the North-American market only according to articles in Europe.

In Europe, there is nearly no more 8 cylinders and 6 cylinders are more and more become 4 cylinders.

CO2, CO2....
The only petrol GLS in Europe is the GLS580, its 8 cylinder with cylinder deactivation and EQ-boost, really nice!
Waiting for the release so i can order mine, diesel is dead in Sweden with ridiculous high environment taxes...