GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Third Row - Photos with car seats in second row

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2019 | 06:49 PM

W205 C300
Originally Posted by jsa1983
Glad I helped. If your seats are smaller, then I’m quite sure your setup will fit.
In my case it was down to either GLE with 7 seats or a V class. I rented one V class last summer and they ride really well, but I’m not too much into that type of car especially given that the GLE works for me.
I assume the equivalent here is the Metris. That being said I am trying to stay away from a van style. Personal taste I guess, because the practicality is there, but can't see me driving the "soccer mom van", despite the luxury in some now.
Old 09-05-2019 | 09:02 AM

2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450
Yes, you are right. It’s the same as the Metris, which together with the European V class is built here in Spain (Vitoria plant).
The van version of the V class is called Viano here in Europe. V class is only for the passenger (and more refined) version.
Old 09-06-2019 | 02:52 PM

W205 C300

Was able to hit a dealer with third row and try some configs with kids seats. Posting the photos in case anyone is interested, I have a video of it opening, but can't figure out how to upload. Booster / baby base are fine for the second row. Additionally the toddler seats fit in the third row, just need to see if no teather is legal here or not.
Old 10-17-2021 | 05:00 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
This thread has been really insightful - I own a v167 (from launch!) with 5 seats since the 7 seater didn't seem necessary or fathomable at the time for our needs, but now that my newborn is a 2.5 year old toddler front facing, we are thinking about a second child. For those who had two child seats in the 2nd row, how did you find the space in the middle row? Is it non existent, or would it suitable for a mother in law? (since presumably wife and I get to ride up front!)
Old 10-17-2021 | 08:16 AM

W205 C300
Originally Posted by JaCe88
This thread has been really insightful - I own a v167 (from launch!) with 5 seats since the 7 seater didn't seem necessary or fathomable at the time for our needs, but now that my newborn is a 2.5 year old toddler front facing, we are thinking about a second child. For those who had two child seats in the 2nd row, how did you find the space in the middle row? Is it non existent, or would it suitable for a mother in law? (since presumably wife and I get to ride up front!)
I ended up of course purchasing the 3rd row option. They have come in usefully on a couple of occasions, but it's not used on the daily. We have 3 children in the back seat, one forward, one rear facing, and the middle with a backless booster. With two child seats in there I have gotten adults between the seats many times. I believe the age old question of 'how big is the mother in law?' is of importance. I've gotten myself in there 185lbs 6 foot. And could comfortably ride for a normal journey. I'm sure if the child seats were in the center and outboard positions more space would be there depending on interfacing. Two of the Diono (3 across) models would leave plenty of space in an outboard seat for a good size adult. Just need to weigh the normal config, since buckling kids in the center child seat would mean getting in momentarily to ensure they are secured safely. Let me know if this helps... I could take photos if you'd like.
Old 08-07-2022 | 11:12 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
Originally Posted by Ostheimer
I ended up of course purchasing the 3rd row option. They have come in usefully on a couple of occasions, but it's not used on the daily. We have 3 children in the back seat, one forward, one rear facing, and the middle with a backless booster. With two child seats in there I have gotten adults between the seats many times. I believe the age old question of 'how big is the mother in law?' is of importance. I've gotten myself in there 185lbs 6 foot. And could comfortably ride for a normal journey. I'm sure if the child seats were in the center and outboard positions more space would be there depending on interfacing. Two of the Diono (3 across) models would leave plenty of space in an outboard seat for a good size adult. Just need to weigh the normal config, since buckling kids in the center child seat would mean getting in momentarily to ensure they are secured safely. Let me know if this helps... I could take photos if you'd like.
It's been a while, second child has arrived, and mother in law is back in town to help us. With the rear facing seat behind the passenger (left side for us in Australia) and the front facing behind the driver (on the right), the mother in law can fit in the middle. She isn't super comfortable and has to outstretch one of her arms over the rear facing seat, but she can fit. She can also climb in/out in front of the front-facing seat and use the sideboard to get in. Thankfully she is quite slim and fits, and she's fit enough to pivot.

Interestingly this experience has also revealed a flaw in my pre-launch GLE. When we went to do the carseats as my original plan was rear-facing behind passenger as normal, and front-facing in the middle (it's a non-ISOFIX chair), and then leaving the space behind driver free for my MIL, it became apparent that our car was missing the tether point for the middle seat in the 2nd row. It's become a bit of a contentious issue as the dealership/service centre and Mercedes-Benz Australia debate over who needs to fix it/etc, and then who at the manufacturing side in Germany stuffed up, etc... but unfortunately even though I flagged this a month ago, not much progress has been made, but at least it's on record I flagged this before the three year warranty period was over (I bought mine just before MB Australia extended warranties to five years for new cars). This, plus the MBUX issues, have led me to reconsider buying a 4th Benz next time (and I actually just placed an order for a Tesla yesterday for our second car/runabout).

On a side note, I think someone else recommended the Hyundai Palisade above, and if I could do it all again, knowing I would have 2 kids and a MIL, maybe I would've gone for that or a Kia Carnival since both of those cars have reasonably nice interiors for non-luxury models, are priced competitively, and seem to have all the creature comforts which parents actually would benefit from (sliding doors and super spacious/wide interiors).