GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Vehicle shut off when driver door opens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 12:08 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
16 GL550
Vehicle shut off when driver door opens

Sometimes when we run errands, we park and I get out of the car (driver) with the car running (wife is in passenger side) since I just need to grab something quick. However, as soon as the driver door opens, the car will shut off soon after. This is the car even if I leave the key fob inside the car.

I browsed through the settings in the car and also looked through the manual but couldn't seem to find a way to disable this "feature". Is this possible? I can understand the safety idea to shut off the car but in a lot of occasions I don't want it shut off (imagine coming back to the car with my wife staring at me with a wtf face because AC turns off...)
Old 09-27-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
94 Supra Turbo, 15 Jeep Wrangler Altitude, 2020 GLE 450
^^ yeah. I find this pretty annoying to be honest, but I am sure its for some safety reason however the car will not immediately shut off (comfort mode, not sure about Eco), it will run at least a few minutes. The work around is if you were driving and put the car in Park, you need to turn the car off and back on again. Starting the car in park and not driving lets the car run indefinite. A little annoyance for sure.

p.s. I have seen that exact face with my wife LoL
Old 09-27-2019, 09:27 AM

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
I was not immune to my wife's unimpressed look either .
I would wager it's more for environmental reasons than a safety issue.
The following users liked this post:
bad habit (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 11:04 PM

16 GL550
glad to see i wasn't the only one lying on the death bed...

i wonder if this is the case for all new MB, very good point that this could be environmental related, that's why there is no way to turn off this feature.

maybe from now on i will just ask my wife to go run errands while i wait instead
Old 09-28-2019, 09:22 PM

Received 184 Likes on 125 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 450
This could also be safety related. When I test drive a 450 with 48V system, both me and SA didn't realize the engine is started (but off, from auto start/stop feature). I can totally see someone park their car in the garage, not realizing that the car is on and running, and when the 48v battery is low, the engine kicks in, which could be dangerous.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:15 PM

16 GL550
for those interested, i found out how this is controlled and how you can "disable" it. it's related to fuel efficiency.

if you stop the car and want to open the driver door (run errands or whatever) without the car shutting off itself, press the ECO button right by the start button. this shuts off the engine on/off feature and this will also disable the car from shutting the engine off when driver door is open after driving. so looks like this is a feature in attempt to increase fuel efficiency. found out about this relationship today after driving with the engine on/off disable (i am quite annoyed by the car shuttering when the engine starts up).

now my wife is happy!
The following 2 users liked this post by rominl:
bad habit (11-09-2019), KJ (11-10-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 10:39 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Originally Posted by zengshengliu
This could also be safety related. When I test drive a 450 with 48V system, both me and SA didn't realize the engine is started (but off, from auto start/stop feature). I can totally see someone park their car in the garage, not realizing that the car is on and running, and when the 48v battery is low, the engine kicks in, which could be dangerous.
It also stops someone from jumping in the car and taking off. The system makes sense for a number of reasons, but I can see how it can be annoying, particularly if you're leaving someone else in the car.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:55 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
GLC63S
Originally Posted by tiri
I was not immune to my wife's unimpressed look either .
I would wager it's more for environmental reasons than a safety issue.
Better than being squished like a bug!
Old 11-10-2019, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by zengshengliu
In that situation, leaving the vehicle with engine switched on, the ignition will automatically turn off after 3 minutes.