GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 GLE 450 stopped running at stop sign after multiple warning notices!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 09:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE, R8, MYP
exact thing just happened to ours. sunny socal, a bit drizzly today but still in the low 60s. parked the car into our garage, wife wanted to leave and tried to start it and same problem happened. PARK Parking Brake error amongst others, car wont start. Lights stuck in the on position (both headlights and brake lights). will need to call roadside assistance in the AM. hope the tow truck driver brings skates to get it out of our garage. Where was the tow hook located? Car was a July delivery and has about 4800 miles on it.

what a hunk of junk
pretty annoyed at this kind of problem.

Originally Posted by DaveD9
Kiss of death to my GLE450 happened last night. 23 degrees out, 5 inches of slush on the ground. We get in the car and screen pops up with PARK Parking Brake see operators manual. Then ABS Inoperative with every warning light comes on. Would not start and would not go into gear. Mercedes service took 2 1/2 hours to arrive and had to skate it out of the parking space with the tow hook (never knew I had one).

No matter what I did I could not get the headlights off. Switch would not work, double click lock or time out did nothing. I now know they will stay on for two hours before the battery gives out.

Off to the dealer and after 6 hours of scanning the exact cause was determined. It was officially a software glitch! Yup, could happen again, no idea why...............16,000 miles early April delivery.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE, R8, MYP
so i was trying to turn it over for at least a couple hours and gave up and called a tow truck. locked the car and eventually all the headlights and brake lights turned off.
tow truck driver came and i gave him the key, and it turned over right away. now he thinks im a wacko lol. in all seriousness he said this is the second one he's come across (newer GLE) with this problem. the other one he said they got under the drivers seat and unplugged the battery for 10 seconds

at least i can drive it to the dealer instead of getting it towed.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by hyperspeed
so i was trying to turn it over for at least a couple hours and gave up and called a tow truck. locked the car and eventually all the headlights and brake lights turned off.
tow truck driver came and i gave him the key, and it turned over right away. now he thinks im a wacko lol. in all seriousness he said this is the second one he's come across (newer GLE) with this problem. the other one he said they got under the drivers seat and unplugged the battery for 10 seconds

at least i can drive it to the dealer instead of getting it towed.
Keep a 10mm wrench in the glove box to do a reboot. My wife did it after I showed her how.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 Mercedes GLE 450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Roadhog56
I had an issue with my 2020 GLE 450, where the check engine light came on and the 48 V battery malfunction light come on, next the coolant light, check engine light. Had the vehicle tow back to the dealer. I forgot to mention this was October 1, 2020, and now its October 28, 2019 and they still cant solve the problem. Keep hearing consulting with the engineers in Germany. The have changed the 48V battery, changed the coolant, DCU, and still no fix. I purchased the car in September and been back twice, one for recall, and the current issue. Slowly getting the feeling I purchase a lemon. I don't think they have a clue on a fix!!!!!!
This exact issue happened to us today as we were driving down a busy highway in Georgia. First the 48v battery malfunction message, then the power loss, additional check engine, coolant etc errors and engine reving sound while stalled along side the road. We waited a few minutes after powering it off and we were able to get it going again and took it straight to the dealer. I don’t want it back until resolved. This was absolutely a potential for a tragic accident with the loss of power going at high speeds and unable to immediately get out of the way to safety. Resizing now after reading through the multiple different reports, we’ve had multiple other issues as well. Took possession of our order end of Nov. 2019 and have had it in service twice before this for other smaller issues.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Same exact thing just happened to me...

Originally Posted by DaveD9
Kiss of death to my GLE450 happened last night. 23 degrees out, 5 inches of slush on the ground. We get in the car and screen pops up with PARK Parking Brake see operators manual. Then ABS Inoperative with every warning light comes on. Would not start and would not go into gear. Mercedes service took 2 1/2 hours to arrive and had to skate it out of the parking space with the tow hook (never knew I had one).

No matter what I did I could not get the headlights off. Switch would not work, double click lock or time out did nothing. I now know they will stay on for two hours before the battery gives out.

Off to the dealer and after 6 hours of scanning the exact cause was determined. It was officially a software glitch! Yup, could happen again, no idea why...............16,000 miles early April delivery.

This just happened to ne on Wednesday. I got my car in March 2019 and have not had issues. I have got the occasional “Traffic sign assist not working” or “Cameras not working” errors but they go away quickly. Then Wednesday I went into work for an hour and came out to this exact situation. My car has been at the dealership since and I haven’t heard from them. I assumed it was too complicated for them to fix in a couple days...

For all of the people that have experienced this, has your car been ok since it was fixed? Im terrified to get it back and have it happen again.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:45 AM

2020 GLE 350
Since they replaced ABS module the car has been great. NO ISSUES.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
Nicole Zieger (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nicole Zieger
This just happened to ne on Wednesday. I got my car in March 2019 and have not had issues. I have got the occasional “Traffic sign assist not working” or “Cameras not working” errors but they go away quickly. Then Wednesday I went into work for an hour and came out to this exact situation. My car has been at the dealership since and I haven’t heard from them. I assumed it was too complicated for them to fix in a couple days...

For all of the people that have experienced this, has your car been ok since it was fixed? Im terrified to get it back and have it happen again.
Since my "no start" issues the middle of last year mine has been fine after software updates.
The following users liked this post:
Nicole Zieger (02-23-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 11:16 PM

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
2024 GLE 580
This happened to me tonight. Same thing although I couldn't start car. Break lights not headlights stayed on. Roadside disconnected batter and it reset. In addtion to Parking Break and ABS I had other failure lights pop up..Blind SIde, 4 Matic ..
Old 03-01-2020, 11:19 PM

2024 GLE 580
Is a 10mm wrench all you need to disconnect battery?
Old 03-01-2020, 11:21 PM

2024 GLE 580
I tried all these solutions and none worked today. Only thing that worked was battery reset.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:23 PM

2024 GLE 580
How do you do a reboot?
Old 03-01-2020, 11:53 PM

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG pack
Angry

Originally Posted by Rjsan11
This exact issue happened to us today as we were driving down a busy highway in Georgia. First the 48v battery malfunction message, then the power loss, additional check engine, coolant etc errors and engine reving sound while stalled along side the road. We waited a few minutes after powering it off and we were able to get it going again and took it straight to the dealer. I don’t want it back until resolved. This was absolutely a potential for a tragic accident with the loss of power going at high speeds and unable to immediately get out of the way to safety. Resizing now after reading through the multiple different reports, we’ve had multiple other issues as well. Took possession of our order end of Nov. 2019 and have had it in service twice before this for other smaller issues.
+1 this happened to us, the RPMs were at 0, which meant we were coasting, then complete power loss, no acceleration, and engine was just stalled, would not kick back on when gas pedal pressed, thankfully came to a traffic light and stopped, and restarted and no accident, but this could have easily turned into disaster. Did you guys get a resolve from dealer? Thank you.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:32 AM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
Wow this is really freaky scary on GLE 2020. I find with my GLE when there is a problem of any kind , I park, shut the engine off , restart and it’s cleared.
onectine I kicked my car and noticed that it said “key not in proximity” by the key was in the front cup holder. Key not found. Engine was off and o locked the car. made sure nothing was on in the cabin. Then went away for 4 days. Came back and the car wouldn’t respond. The battery was completely flat / dead. Had to call roadside to replace my battery $600. What’s going on ? Too much technology is a problem. And getting worse.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:13 AM

2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by bkushner
This happened to me tonight. Same thing although I couldn't start car. Break lights not headlights stayed on. Roadside disconnected batter and it reset. In addtion to Parking Break and ABS I had other failure lights pop up..Blind SIde, 4 Matic ..
Good Luck! My roadside did not try this so my car was towed in. Mine has been at the dealership since 2/19/2020. They said it is a software update that they have fixed but apparently the dealership did some damage to my car along the way and it is currently sitting at a collision shop.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nicole Zieger
Good Luck! My roadside did not try this so my car was towed in. Mine has been at the dealership since 2/19/2020. They said it is a software update that they have fixed but apparently the dealership did some damage to my car along the way and it is currently sitting at a collision shop.
Sorry to hear that. This is truly unacceptable service by MB. So much for luxury and commitment to quality. What a load of crock.

Last edited by Roni07; 03-02-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:01 AM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450 4Matic
We had ours at the dealer for a week after this happened. They opened a case with Mercedes the day we brought it in and Mercedes directed them on steps to take to identify the problem. The “fix” was they had to remove the seats and check all the ground wires and found one that was a loose ground. They checked all computer codes and did a reset. They could not guarantee this was the absolute fix and it won’t happen again. Clearly Mercedes is aware this is happening and due to the severity of this and the life threatening hazard, I’m appalled they haven’t issued a recall. We’ve been driving Mercedes for years with confidence in their safety as our number one priority. This situation has Taken that away. Fearful to drive it on highways/interstates not knowing if next time we’ll be able to get out of the way of traffic to a safe position. we waited 8 months to get this vehicle that we equipped with the majority of the options with a nice price tag and now it sits in the garage more than our other vehicles.

QUOTE=EINSER_M;7997231]+1 this happened to us, the RPMs were at 0, which meant we were coasting, then complete power loss, no acceleration, and engine was just stalled, would not kick back on when gas pedal pressed, thankfully came to a traffic light and stopped, and restarted and no accident, but this could have easily turned into disaster. Did you guys get a resolve from dealer? Thank you.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-02-2020, 11:43 AM

I wouldn’t feel comfortable driving this thing on the highway either. Unsafe. This is a super expensive luxury vehicle and what do you get for that - loose screws and bolts. This is is clearly a Quality Control issue. Unacceptable.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:48 PM

2024 GLE 580
Took mine to the dealer today they had it 5 minutes and sent me home with a loaner. Said it's going to be hopefully tomorrow. Mentioned a software upgrade and they want to check the battery. When I told him what happened didn't seem it was the first time he was hearing it.

I should add I had no issues the first 10,000 miles. just had the A service 2 days prior to this happening.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:34 PM

2024 GLE 580
Well got my car back after 2 days. They have down several software updates on the work order. However, driving home a few ghosts are popping up. My rear view camera came on for a few second while driving...but the biggest issue now is everytime I start the car the drivers side mirror points down to the ground much like the passenger does in reverse and it doesn't come back. I have to readjust every time I start the car.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by bkushner
Well got my car back after 2 days. They have down several software updates on the work order. However, driving home a few ghosts are popping up. My rear view camera came on for a few second while driving...but the biggest issue now is everytime I start the car the drivers side mirror points down to the ground much like the passenger does in reverse and it doesn't come back. I have to readjust every time I start the car.
Sounds like MB is shooting in the dark and hoping to hit the issue, with these software updates. Based on my personal experience with my 2016 GLE 350 with lose chassis bracket screws, leads me to believe that MB doesn’t check their work, poor Quality Control. I suspect that your vehicle is experiencing “physical” problems vs virtual problems with software. I think there is a LOOSE GROUND WIRE,
ots extremely difficult to find and there are multiple ground wires.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Roni07
Sounds like MB is shooting in the dark and hoping to hit the issue, with these software updates. Based on my personal experience with my 2016 GLE 350 with lose chassis bracket screws, leads me to believe that MB doesn’t check their work, poor Quality Control. I suspect that your vehicle is experiencing “physical” problems vs virtual problems with software. I think there is a LOOSE GROUND WIRE,
ots extremely difficult to find and there are multiple ground wires.
We had our issues the better part of a year ago so they were really in the dark. After 12 days in the shop they said it was paint on a ground terminal - right! Second visit after a recurrence they did software updates which have worked for the last 7 months.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:06 AM

GLE450
Exclamation ESP Module

2020 GLE450. Lights stayed on, car wouldn't start. Parking brake and ABS warning.. Turned out to be the ESP module. Software reboot at the dealer. Good to go.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Revoot

Originally Posted by Bill Borzone
2020 GLE450. Lights stayed on, car wouldn't start. Parking brake and ABS warning.. Turned out to be the ESP module. Software reboot at the dealer. Good to go.
Better carry that 10mm wrench just in case!
Old 06-24-2020, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Borzone
Too many problems with such an expensive luxury vehicle. It’s just unacceptable. That’s what people expected from Hyundai Pony not MB. I would not feel comfortable driving this vehicle around town. Never out of town.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Roni07
Too many problems with such an expensive luxury vehicle. It’s just unacceptable. That’s what people expected from Hyundai Pony not MB. I would not feel comfortable driving this vehicle around town. Never out of town.
This is not an issue for more than a handful of people. I frequently take long trips, 1200 to 2,000 miles & not worried. The vehicle mechanically is solid and a 10mm wrench along with the Roadside Service should be all the comfort you need. I think a bigger issue is for those with Run-flats and some of the AMG wheel/tires that won’t be found easily. Hit a pothole and destroy a tire or wheel and you are likely SOL for several days.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2020 GLE 450 stopped running at stop sign after multiple warning notices!