GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 GLE 450 stopped running at stop sign after multiple warning notices!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250 Mercedes
Exclamation 48V Battery Malfunction in fathers 2020 GLE450 4MATIC

My father has had similar issues to what everyone is mentioning; this seems that this issue is starting to be common. I have seen other threads where MB owners have had the same issue. My father has a 2020GLE450 4Matic and yesterday he was divining and all of a sudden he received a message that was highlighted in Yellow which read "48V Battery Malfunction". Shortly thereafter, before he could get off of the highway he received a message that was highlighted in red which read "48V Battery Overheat" and all of a sudden his car started to lose power and came to a complete stop. My father had to contact Mercedes Roadside service and they towed the vehicle t the dealership.

The answer the SA provider gave us was they were backlogged about 2-3 weeks out and to not even come right now and they would call my father. When the to truck arrived, the SA contacted my father and provided the car started right up. Their answer was it started right up and it could have been a computer issue; I am starting to notice that is Mercedes answer to everything. I myself have been told to restart my car to reset the computer after I had a small issue with my C250. Now, obviously there is an issue if others have had the same occurrence. His vehicle is still in the shop and I will inform you what they provide so it can help others.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:05 AM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
Originally Posted by hillcjohn
My father has had similar issues to what everyone is mentioning; this seems that this issue is starting to be common. I have seen other threads where MB owners have had the same issue. My father has a 2020GLE450 4Matic and yesterday he was divining and all of a sudden he received a message that was highlighted in Yellow which read "48V Battery Malfunction". Shortly thereafter, before he could get off of the highway he received a message that was highlighted in red which read "48V Battery Overheat" and all of a sudden his car started to lose power and came to a complete stop. My father had to contact Mercedes Roadside service and they towed the vehicle t the dealership.

The answer the SA provider gave us was they were backlogged about 2-3 weeks out and to not even come right now and they would call my father. When the to truck arrived, the SA contacted my father and provided the car started right up. Their answer was it started right up and it could have been a computer issue; I am starting to notice that is Mercedes answer to everything. I myself have been told to restart my car to reset the computer after I had a small issue with my C250. Now, obviously there is an issue if others have had the same occurrence. His vehicle is still in the shop and I will inform you what they provide so it can help others.
- Sorry to heat. I wouldn’t be able to trust and drive vehicle like that. Certainly wouldn’t be doing long trips. Unacceptable for $100K luxury vehicle to have such serious “malfunction” and then be told by the dealer to wait for 2-3 weeks for service. Wow no thanks, go with another brand l. This is rubbish.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,185 Likes on 852 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Computer issues

Originally Posted by hillcjohn
Their answer was it started right up and it could have been a computer issue; I am starting to notice that is Mercedes answer to everything. I myself have been told to restart my car to reset the computer after I had a small issue with my C250. Now, obviously there is an issue if others have had the same occurrence. His vehicle is still in the shop and I will inform you what they provide so it can help others.
There have been multiple random software issues since launch. My 4/19 car would not start not long after I got it. Spent 12 days in the shop over two visits, but after updates has been fine for over a year. I learned that carrying a 10mm wrench to do a reboot by disconnecting the battery is wise practice!
Old 03-10-2021, 01:37 PM

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
2024 GLE 580
Originally Posted by DaveD9
Kiss of death to my GLE450 happened last night. 23 degrees out, 5 inches of slush on the ground. We get in the car and screen pops up with PARK Parking Brake see operators manual. Then ABS Inoperative with every warning light comes on. Would not start and would not go into gear. Mercedes service took 2 1/2 hours to arrive and had to skate it out of the parking space with the tow hook (never knew I had one).

No matter what I did I could not get the headlights off. Switch would not work, double click lock or time out did nothing. I now know they will stay on for two hours before the battery gives out.

Off to the dealer and after 6 hours of scanning the exact cause was determined. It was officially a software glitch! Yup, could happen again, no idea why...............16,000 miles early April delivery.

I had this exact issue in my 2020 Gle while on the road. Roadside assistance disconnected the battery for five minutes and reconnected and all the errors went away and the car was operational. The next day I drove to the dealer and was told the same thing they needed to update the software. It never happened again.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by bkushner
I had this exact issue in my 2020 Gle while on the road. Roadside assistance disconnected the battery for five minutes and reconnected and all the errors went away and the car was operational. The next day I drove to the dealer and was told the same thing they needed to update the software. It never happened again.
Time to trade it in and get a Tesla X, or even better the cybertruck
Old 03-10-2021, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,031 Likes on 699 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Hard to believe but Tesla is ranked near last for quality.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ron.s
Hard to believe but Tesla is ranked near last for quality.
- Yes the Model 8 had issues- panels not being aligned, etc. The X and the 3 and the S are very good. The Y is improving. Most of the time you can do the software updates at home and things get cleared up. No need to go to the dealer. MB is trying to imitate Tesla tech, evident in their 2021 GLE vehicles but the dealer rep told me MB is failing and they are seeing lots of the new models come back with lots of software glitches etc. I’ve had loose bolts , brackets, seats , engine leaks, engine and transmission mounts collapsing etc but the 2016 GLE350 is a strong vehicle. I test drove the Tesla model Y and the tech and acceleration blew me away. Super fun to drive
Old 03-16-2021, 10:25 PM

GLE 450 2020
We just had a similar problem - GLE 450 2020 - just 2 months out of the dealership. 1800miles. Was driving from an quick errand back home and at a signal, dashboard stuff started flashing, got errors about Active Brake assist, all sort of stuff lighted up and it just stalled at the signal. Tried to accelerate but no power. I hit the ignition couple of times, got power again and drove home. Check engine light is on currently - will take to dealership tomorrow. Hoping with the check engine light they can figure what happened.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 983 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by RamM
We just had a similar problem - GLE 450 2020 - just 2 months out of the dealership. 1800miles. Was driving from an quick errand back home and at a signal, dashboard stuff started flashing, got errors about Active Brake assist, all sort of stuff lighted up and it just stalled at the signal. Tried to accelerate but no power. I hit the ignition couple of times, got power again and drove home. Check engine light is on currently - will take to dealership tomorrow. Hoping with the check engine light they can figure what happened.
Im sure the dealer will fix this and you will never have any more issues. GLE's are super reliable. One of the best made MB's you can buy. For 100K they are quite the value.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2021 GLE 580
Originally Posted by Devesh Kumar
I had this issue 2 months back on my 350 (Though this thread is about 450). We were driving to SFO from Bakersfield and the car stalled at 70mph on I-5. Somehow managed to pull over the shoulder and averted any collision (pure luck!). The RPM was basically bouncing off between 500-1500 rpm and car felt like a tractor. The car was shaking sideways and for a moment I believe airmatic system has gone nuts. Switched off the engine and restarted couple of times without any luck. After an hour, the car recovered and next day I left it at Fletcher Jones Mercedes (Fremont, CA). It took 4 weeks to diagnose the issue and the Throttle Valve Actuator was replaced under warranty. Thanks to my extensive documentation, they were able to locate freezeframes of all errors and finally zeroed on this issue. Mercedes must issue a recall if I was not the only one facing this issue. This was life threatening because the car loses power without any warning.

Page 1 - Work Order

Page 2 - Work Order

Page 3 - Work Order

Stranded on i-5. Mercedes SOS/Roadside assistance connectivity issues from car to add to our woes.

Video (on Youtube) to demonstrate errors/failure
similar experience in 2021 GLE 580… did dealer diagnose problem ?
Old 07-02-2021, 02:29 PM

GLE450
Wondering if anyone has received any answers as to why the GLE 450 is so problematic. Have a 2020 GLE450 and so far there have been 3 recalls. Periodically I get notifications that "sign assist is not active" or parking assist is not active. Last week the car died approaching a light - no response at all to the gas pedal. Dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree. Car glided through intersection and thankfully was able to glide into a parking lot. Turned engine off. 5 minutes later started up no issue. Frightening if I had been doing 75 mph on highway. In service now 5 days. Dealer updated software - but Eco start code will not clear. Review of data reveals that the computer did, in fact, shut off engine which is why car died. They have NO clue at all and have contacted Germany to open a case. Who the hell in their right mind would ever trust this car again on a highway?
Old 07-02-2021, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by FrustratedMBOwn
Wondering if anyone has received any answers as to why the GLE 450 is so problematic. Have a 2020 GLE450 and so far there have been 3 recalls. Periodically I get notifications that "sign assist is not active" or parking assist is not active. Last week the car died approaching a light - no response at all to the gas pedal. Dashboard lit up like a Xmas tree. Car glided through intersection and thankfully was able to glide into a parking lot. Turned engine off. 5 minutes later started up no issue. Frightening if I had been doing 75 mph on highway. In service now 5 days. Dealer updated software - but Eco start code will not clear. Review of data reveals that the computer did, in fact, shut off engine which is why car died. They have NO clue at all and have contacted Germany to open a case. Who the hell in their right mind would ever trust this car again on a highway?
- I was at rhe MB dealer and the lady Told me that the 2020 2021 models have lots of problems, since MB is trying to imitate /compete with Tesla tech but failing so far.
I traded my in my GLE350 for a Tesla model Y. Tesla has quality build issues and can never guarantee you a loaner, however the technology and the driving experience makes up for it.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FrustratedMBOwn
I would report it to the NHTSA…more of us should. My theory on all this (beside supplier issues) is that MB has the brightest people working on the new models & electrification. Also they seriously reduced staff and cut out other things when dieselgate entered the picture. Quality control seems lacking at many levels.
Supplier issues with substandard components/quality control will likely continue until supply demand gets back to normal. Maercedes might not have the ability to change suppliers in this environment and China is now a primary supplier with few things made in the US. A lot of the big things are made on the M campus but Mercedes assembly still needs improvement. Now they are working with Nvidia on a custom master chip to replace most of the ones they use now. By the time they get that started they will be chasing the next big thing. I guess it’s the world we live in today… all of them have QC issues including Tesla most of all.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:30 PM

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
2024 GLE 580
I bought a 2020 GLE450 when it came out and had some issues...Mainly all the recalls and then a couple times where the vehicle systems all failed at once and the battery had to be disconnected for a reboot. I sold that vehicle and got a AMG GLB (bad move) and after a month got another GLE450, this time the 2021 model. I haven't had one issue (TOUCH WOOD) and not one recall. I'm only 5 months in but it's been great. Having bought a new Mercedes about every 2 years since 1998 I've owned a lot and this is probably the less problematic out of the gate so far...Guessing you can chalk up the 2020 issues to first year new design? Don't know.
The following users liked this post:
nextmilenium (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 05:17 PM

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 GLE450
We've had our 450 for a little over 2 months and 1100 miles so far. Way too new to have any issues but hopefully they have worked out some of the software issues through updates. The new cars are are so dang complicated these days it's amazing.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,973 Likes on 3,123 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Mercedes-Benz is failing as an automaker. Electrification is taking resources from legacy platforms, as already mentioned. MB sold the Daimler Trucks, a money maker, to fund EV development. The CEOs from Shrempp until the present have not been investing in product reliability. The W140 and prior was the M-B that many people remember. Today M-B ownership experience, sadly, is far different.

M-B's market strategy is to be the most expensive brand below Bentley and Rolls, with Porsche taking a higher price approach than M-B for the sporty/less luxury segment. M-B's styling and cosmetics are good. However, others (Tesla, Genesis) are catching up on features, and nearly all brands except LR are better in reliability. M-B is slipping into the middle where they will be attacked from all sides.

It's a bizarre strategy that doesn't work if you are a C, E, GLC or GLE/GLS customer. Porsche is the better option at a higher price point. Maybe it works for S, G and GT customers, but I have my doubts when reading those forum sections. A, CLA, GLA and GLB customers don't know any better. The surprised-sounding posts in the GLB section suggest many may leave the brand after the first painful ownership experience has mercifully passed.

Last edited by chassis; 07-03-2021 at 04:12 PM.
places (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 983 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by chassis
Mercedes-Benz is failing as an automaker. Electrification is taking resources from legacy platforms, as already mentioned. MB sold the Daimler Trucks, a money maker, to fund EV development. The CEOs from Shrempp until the present have not been investing in product reliability. The W140 and prior was the M-B that many people remember. Today M-B ownership experience, sadly, is far different.

M-B's market strategy is to be the most expensive brand below Bentley and Rolls, with Porsche taking a higher price approach than M-B for the sporty/less luxury segment. M-B's styling and cosmetics are good. However, others (Tesla, Genesis) are catching up on features, and nearly all brands except LR are better in reliability. M-B is slipping into the middle where they will be attacked from all sides.

It's a bizarre strategy that doesn't work if you are a C, E, GLC or GLE/GLS customer. Porsche is the better option at a higher price point. Maybe it works for S, G and GT customers, but I have my doubts when reading those forum sections. A, CLA, GLA and GLB customers don't know any better. The surprised-sounding posts in the GLB section suggest many may leave the brand after the first painful ownership experience has mercifully passed.
At some point the star loses its power. People seem to be happy putting up with inferior quality under the illusion of driving "the best or nothing" and the status that the higher line Benz cars provide. Mercedes banks on this, newer generations A, CLA,GLA, and GLB, GLC and GLE buyers have no reference so failure becomes acceptable.

Personally I have had great experiences with the higher line Benz cars, virtually trouble free for over 20 years. However reading the issues that plague the mid and lower level offerings, I find it troubling that this is the same company. My loaners are usually entry level offerings and I then find myself in disbelief thinking this is the same company that produces the beautiful S class.
chassis (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bla Bla Bla-The Sky is Falling….goes the same story from people that get their opinion from an internet Forum. I’ve had two GLE cars with issues but there are many more with none. I like mine so much that I will buy another Mercedes as soon as the next Gen Hybrid AMG’s hit production. The design, Drive Train, Engines, Economy, Tech & Comfort…just about everything are fantastic. As I’ve said before, there is no brand without problems including Lexus/Toyota. They avoid some issues by being late to the party with 2-3+ year old Tech & make few changes between Gens except for safety related. I’ve owned several including the Lexus RX350 & new Gen Tundra truck...problems with both. BMW had the worst serious issue ever with engines…A number of Audi Q8-V8’s are burning lots of oil. The grass isn’t greener…never will be.
I’m discappointed with all the issues but other than the bad batch of 48 volt batteries the quality seems to have improved of late. I’m not ready to condemn any car company in times of unprecedented demand in the industry and COVID messing up supply chains and assembly work at the Factory. The Germans are all tight financially because of Diesel settlements & Electrification.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Daimler Trucks

Mercedes-Benz is failing as an automaker. Electrification is taking resources from legacy platforms, as already mentioned. MB sold the Daimler Trucks, a money maker, to fund EV development.
Please explain. Daimler owns both Mercedes-Benz and Daimler Trucks; Mercedes cannot sell Daimler Trucks. As I understand it, the truck division is being split off to increase its valuation.
The following 2 users liked this post by GregW / Oregon:
chassis (07-05-2021), js_cls (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 12:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Please explain. Daimler owns both Mercedes-Benz and Daimler Trucks; Mercedes cannot sell Daimler Trucks. As I understand it, the truck division is being split off to increase its valuation.
Yes. Let’s both agree to dig up the press release and financial statements to clearly spell out the transaction. Daimler is raising cash by separating the divisions to fund the mismanaged M-B car business, so that it can go on an uncertain fishing trip into electrification. Just like Gilligan and Skipper.
Old 07-05-2021, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes. Let’s both agree to dig up the press release and financial statements to clearly spell out the transaction. Daimler is raising cash by separating the divisions to fund the mismanaged M-B car business.
The sky is not falling, Daimler is not failing. Get your facts straight…Daimler is not selling the truck Division to raise cash.

The way it’s been reported is that they are separating the Car & Truck Division into two Companies. This is the opposite of a purchase of a company. Mercedes will issue separate stock for the new Company that will in effect devalue the Daimler stock. Stockholders will now have Daimler stock & Truck stock. Investors like the idea and Mercedes stock went up as a result although no real value was created, only the potential for two more profitable companies. The end result might be that the combined stock price will be higher based on investor enthusiasm and a little bit on better transparency of operational results since they serve two different automotive markets.
Here’s a Stock Analyst’s view from Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-d...-idUSKBN2A329T
Old 07-05-2021, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,194 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Ron.s
The sky is not falling, Daimler is not failing. Get your facts straight…Daimler is not selling the truck Division to raise cash.

The way it’s been reported is that they are separating the Car & Truck Division into two Companies. This is the opposite of a purchase of a company. Mercedes will issue separate stock for the new Company that will in effect devalue the Daimler stock. Stockholders will now have Daimler stock & Truck stock. Investors like the idea and Mercedes stock went up as a result although no real value was created, only the potential for two more profitable companies. The end result might be that the combined stock price will be higher based on investor enthusiasm and a little bit on better transparency of operational results since they serve two different automotive markets.
Here’s a Stock Analyst’s view from Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-d...-idUSKBN2A329T
That's a good summary.
Many conglomerates are spinning off parts of their businesses, because having several different businesses under the same stock ticker is confusing to investors, and the analyst community.
Investors are more able to analyze smaller pieces, and in many cases this has resulted in increasing stock prices. It benefits investors as well as the companies.
Examples of spinoffs creating better companies and investments are limitless.
It's a smart thing for a company to do.
It was also smart for Daimler to spin off Chrysler. Ralston Purina to spin off Energizer Batteries. United Technologies spun off Otis Elevators and Carrier HVAC. They weren't aligned as businesses, markets or supply chains.
Closer to home, Honeywell spun off Garrett Motion, who makes the superchargers for our AMG53 engines.

And BTW, Daimler didn't SELL the stock or company, they will just award shares to existing shareholders. As I understand it, there will be no gains or tax implications.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
@Ron.s thanks. Daimler is spinning off the truck division as a new stand alone public company, correct?
Old 07-05-2021, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

@Ron.s thanks. Daimler is spinning off the truck division as a new stand alone public company, correct?
Yes, but not like they’re selling to the Chinese!
Old 07-05-2021, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes…no cash involved except they may elect to pay cash for fractional shares. The way it normally works is that each existing stockholder will receive some of the new CO’s stock certificates. For example-if the total Co is valued at 30mm and cars are 20 trucks 10…then each stockholder will get 1/2 share of the new truck co for every share of existing stock. Now they own stock in both companies. What each stockholder does with their stock after that is up to them.
The market bumped the existing stock 9% after the announcement much like Apple went up after declaring a 4 for 1 stock split. No economic reason just speculation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2020 GLE 450 stopped running at stop sign after multiple warning notices!