GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Parking Assist / Park Distance Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 09:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2023 EQE 350 4matic / 2019 911 Carrera T
Parking Assist / Park Distance Control

Hi all- just picked my GLE. What a change form the Cayenne!! So much more of a refined car.
i did have a question which is causing some confusion on my end (as well as the dealer)
i see on MBUSA’s website that active park assist is standard on all GLE’s. Dealer told that you need the surround view camera to actually have park distance control. Can anyone shed some light? I would assume that if active park assist is standard, then that would / should include park distance control.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Parking assistance

Originally Posted by manjurino1
Hi all- just picked my GLE. What a change form the Cayenne!! So much more of a refined car.
i did have a question which is causing some confusion on my end (as well as the dealer). I see on MBUSA’s website that active park assist is standard on all GLE’s. Dealer told that you need the surround view camera to actually have park distance control. Can anyone shed some light? I would assume that if active park assist is standard, then that would / should include park distance control.
Active Parking Assist is standard in the US; it uses the Parktronic (also standard) sensors (6 in front bumper and 6 in rear). Without the surround view cameras the display is a color-coded bar diagram around the front & rear bumpers. With the cameras you also get the views from the cameras, including two under the side mirrors. Surround view gives you several camera view options, such as a wide close front view for offroading, and is also required to get rear cross traffic alert. While Active Parking Assist is listed in the US DOG as standard, curiously the owner's manual also talks about "vehicles without Active Parking Assist." My assumption is it is not standard in all markets.
The following users liked this post:
manjurino1 (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 12:18 PM

I would assume that if I’m reverse that the parktronic would activate? I was testing yesterday and not sure if there is a setting that I need to activate.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Parking assistance

I would assume that if I’m reverse that the parktronic would activate? I was testing yesterday and not sure if there is a setting that I need to activate.
If Parktronic is off there will be a P)))OFF symbol in the instrument display. To turn on in the multimedia system, go to Settings>Quick Access>Parktronic and activate it. It will operate in forward or reverse, but only alert if you are very close to objects. You can adjust the volume and tone of the alerts which can be quite jarring.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 11-13-2019 at 01:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GregW / Oregon:
manjurino1 (11-13-2019), SmokinBuddha (12-14-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Thank you!!
Old 11-13-2019, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
If Parktronic is off there will be a P)))OFF symbol in the instrument display. To turn on in the multimedia system, go to Settings>Quick Access>Parktronic and activate it. It will operate in forward or reverse, but only alert if you are very close to objects. You can adjust the volume and tone of the alerts which can be quite jarring.
very strange. Followed your instructions and there is nothing there. 4 other options but none regarding parktronic. The sensors are visible on the car. Dealers asked that I check the window sticker and of course it says parking assist as standard. Wonder if they just completely left the option off from the factory.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

very strange. Followed your instructions and there is nothing there. 4 other options but none regarding parktronic. The sensors are visible on the car. Dealers asked that I check the window sticker and of course it says parking assist as standard. Wonder if they just completely left the option off from the factory.
You need to take it to get checked out.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:55 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Anyone having any trouble getting their parking assist to recognize parking spaces? I've followed the manual and as I slowly drive down a parking lot lane, I'm passing single spaces and they aren't being recognized by the echolocators. I'm assuming it's user error, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by bigpern23
Anyone having any trouble getting their parking assist to recognize parking spaces? I've followed the manual and as I slowly drive down a parking lot lane, I'm passing single spaces and they aren't being recognized by the echolocators. I'm assuming it's user error, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
I've had the same problem. Not sure exactly what I am doing and the manual is not the most explicit on using it. When I want to "play" with it there always seems to be other people around me looking for spaces also, so I haven't had the luxury of sitting there and figuring it out. One of these days I should just head out into a quiet residential area and play with it.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by WA3CUJ
I've had the same problem. Not sure exactly what I am doing and the manual is not the most explicit on using it. When I want to "play" with it there always seems to be other people around me looking for spaces also, so I haven't had the luxury of sitting there and figuring it out. One of these days I should just head out into a quiet residential area and play with it.
Same here. And, unfortunately, because it only works for single spaces, it's not like you can go find and empty parking lot to work through it.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
Works for me. Are you seeing the "P" symbol on your dashboard and have you pressed the Parking Assist button?
Old 11-14-2019, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by bad habit
Works for me. Are you seeing the "P" symbol on your dashboard and have you pressed the Parking Assist button?
I press the park assist button and the car comes up on the display, shows the sensor “beams” and says it is searching for a space, but it never recognizes any spaces as I pass.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

if if you really want to be entertained try using the Parking Assist! I have not ever got it to recognize a spot correctly. You can drive past 5 perfectly suitable spots with the car not picking any of them out, then it will try to park on top of a curbed island, be very careful it will run into something if you do not apply the brakes, don’t trust it
Old 12-11-2019, 09:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I press the park assist button and the car comes up on the display, shows the sensor “beams” and says it is searching for a space, but it never recognizes any spaces as I pass.

same action here, or it will try to park where there is no spot, be careful, it will hit something and damage your car
Old 12-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
One gripe I have with it is that it parks over 2 ft away from the curb which is NYC is a death sentence
Old 12-11-2019, 09:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 GLE350 4Matic
lately its been taking longer for the park distance control sensors to engage and bring up the cameras

i can't help but think i managed to change some setting on early recognition/notification of objects while screwing around with settings. i know there's an early warning setting - which i do have turned on.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Regarding Parking assistant, I have a few questions / comments. I have the option in my GLE and have played a little with the functionality; I would characterize it as a little "quirky" yet a fun option and useful in certain circumstance. Love the idea, and can see using the parallel parking feature yet I don't see myself using the "Head in " or "Back in" as that is second nature to my driving style already.

My question is regarding a small "P" in a blue square in the lower left of the divers side dashboard which appears seemingly randomly when I am driving through small common roads or neighborhoods. Sometimes the "P" in the box has a white arrow to the left or right. Interesting enough, this appears WITHOUT the parking function engaged and may even appear when I am about to pull into my neighborhood, I would think it has something to do with the parking assist feature yet again it appears without the function engaged and when I am just driving through random places NOT shopping areas.

Thoughts ?
D
Old 12-15-2019, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
It recognises parking spots at low speed regardless of whether the parking feature is engaged.