GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 GLE 580

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 10:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2024 Audi RS6 Avant. 2022 AMG SL63
2020 GLE 580

I don't see many posts on the 2020 GLE 580? I'm thinking about getting one that just arrived at the dealer. No one has grabed it yet. Any comments on this vehicle.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2020, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Sure.. other than a GLE580... the GLS580 is the bomb... "hottest" MSRP $115K+ ... especially with E-Active as a ++

In general there is a LOT of demand out there - however most of that demand are customers who "want-what-they-want-exactly" but with limited availability and about 5 month order time - most "think" their "perfect GLS580" will just appear - when this ain't a Tahoe
Old 02-01-2020, 09:33 AM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Originally Posted by Fastcars1969
I don't see many posts on the 2020 GLE 580? I'm thinking about getting one that just arrived at the dealer. No one has grabed it yet. Any comments on this vehicle.

Thanks

Test drive it. You may end up taking it home with you. Great engine on an already great SUV.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,186 Likes on 853 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
GLE 580

Originally Posted by tinman831
Test drive it. You may end up taking it home with you. Great engine on an already great SUV.
You'll see a lot over on the X167 GLS forum - lots of 580s coming in recently.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:35 PM
gdl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 580, 2017 GLS 450, 2013 F-150 Platinum
First GLE 580 impressions

Brought my GLE 580 home this weekend. Absolutely a blast to drive. I had only been able to drive the GLE 450 prior to ordering, and although it was a great vehicle, I went ahead and ordered the 580 hoping the V8 would be just as impressive. Order placed in September and checked daily for any and all information on the 580 and V8. I am very impressed with the power train of this vehicle. In comfort mode It is very smooth with lots of power, everything is effortless. The engine just sounds so good and pops to life with any request. I was on the freeway today traveling faster than the other vehicles and accelerated to change lanes and slide through a group of slower vehicles. A move like this usually elicits a protest from my wife and she commented that she was not at all bothered by the maneuver because the GLE 580 handled it so smoothly and easily. (I think she should have said I handled it so smoothly and easily, but she didn’t.)

In comfort mode it is very smooth and shifts nicely with my typical driving. However, when I floor it to unleash all of its power, it shifts hard between gears—when in comfort mode. When in sport mode and floored, it holds the gears longer and shifts more smoothly. In sport mode the accelerator is very sensitive and the engine jumps with any input. I plan on leaving it in comfort mode unless I feel I will be needing the responsive power. I have better gas mileage than I thought I would so far with half a tank of gas through it. I did not expect great gas mileage but am pleasantly surprised. I am coming from a Platinum Ford F-150 with eco boost and although it has plenty of power to tow my boat and is also fun to drive due to the Ford infotainment and nice interior, the GLE is much nicer to drive and the technology far surpasses what my Ford and 2017 GLS 450 have. There is absolutely no turbo lag with this vehicle, where I notice it with the F150. I went with the Mercedes due to such a positive experience with my wife’s GLS. I always enjoyed driving it and now I have my own fun, sporty & luxurious Mercedes to drive. Although the GLE has much more power and torque than my F150 and could certainly tow my 7000# boat, I am still going to keep the F150 for that, I feel a bit more secure with the longer wheelbase and heavier truck in control. I am certain the GLE would be up to the task if ever I needed to use it. I did not get the E-ABC suspension but did get the airmatic suspension which has been nice in our GLS.

I have not had a single problem with the vehicle so far (in two days) and hope Mercedes worked out all the technology issues prior to building mine. I have read everything I could find about the GLE/GLS 450/580 while researching and ordering and then during the wait until I received it this weekend. This forum has been a huge help to me and with little information on the 580, I felt my early impressions might be of some help.

Last edited by gdl; 02-02-2020 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 GLE580
Originally Posted by gdl
Brought my GLE 580 home this weekend. Absolutely a blast to drive. I had only been able to drive the GLE 450 prior to ordering, and although it was a great vehicle, I went ahead and ordered the 580 hoping the V8 would be just as impressive. Order placed in September and checked daily for any and all information on the 580 and V8. I am very impressed with the power train of this vehicle. In comfort mode It is very smooth with lots of power, everything is effortless. The engine just sounds so good and pops to life with any request. I was on the freeway today traveling faster than the other vehicles and accelerated to change lanes and slide through a group of slower vehicles. A move like this usually elicits a protest from my wife and she commented that she was not at all bothered by the maneuver because the GLE 580 handled it so smoothly and easily. (I think she should have said I handled it so smoothly and easily, but she didn’t.)

In comfort mode it is very smooth and shifts nicely with my typical driving. However, when I floor it to unleash all of its power, it shifts hard between gears—when in comfort mode. When in sport mode and floored, it holds the gears longer and shifts more smoothly. In sport mode the accelerator is very sensitive and the engine jumps with any input. I plan on leaving it in comfort mode unless I feel I will be needing the responsive power. I have better gas mileage than I thought I would so far with half a tank of gas through it. I did not expect great gas mileage but am pleasantly surprised. I am coming from a Platinum Ford F-150 with eco boost and although it has plenty of power to tow my boat and is also fun to drive due to the Ford infotainment and nice interior, the GLE is much nicer to drive and the technology far surpasses what my Ford and 2017 GLS 450 have. There is absolutely no turbo lag with this vehicle, where I notice it with the F150. I went with the Mercedes due to such a positive experience with my wife’s GLS. I always enjoyed driving it and now I have my own fun, sporty & luxurious Mercedes to drive. Although the GLE has much more power and torque than my F150 and could certainly tow my 7000# boat, I am still going to keep the F150 for that, I feel a bit more secure with the longer wheelbase and heavier truck in control. I am certain the GLE would be up to the task if ever I needed to use it. I did not get the E-ABC suspension but did get the airmatic suspension which has been nice in our GLS.

I have not had a single problem with the vehicle so far (in two days) and hope Mercedes worked out all the technology issues prior to building mine. I have read everything I could find about the GLE/GLS 450/580 while researching and ordering and then during the wait until I received it this weekend. This forum has been a huge help to me and with little information on the 580, I felt my early impressions might be of some help.
Thanks for posting your initial impressions on your GLE 580. I am in the same position as you were, seeking out information that is just not out there. I'm glad to hear that your experience has been positive and I'm sure mine will be too when mine finally arrives. My order was placed in late October and judging from your order to arrival timeline, I can assume that I still have a month or more to wait for my good news. At this point I have been given no updates on the vehicle status and my SA says that he checks daily but nothing has changed since my order was placed. Again, thanks for posting.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 825 Likes on 530 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580

Thanks
Did you test drive it?
Old 02-03-2020, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V-8 4-cylinder operation

Originally Posted by gdl

Have you noticed a roughness at idle with it in 4-cylinder operation? Some on the GLS forum have complained about that.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:39 AM

Yes I didtest drive it. I did like it but then I test drove a BMW X5 M50i and the difference was night and day. After the test drive I just though the MB lacked power but still haven't made up my mind as to which one is it.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Yes I didtest drive it. I did like it but then I test drove a BMW X5 M50i and the difference was night and day. After the test drive I just though the MB lacked power but still haven't made up my mind as to which one is it.
I totally agree. The GLE580 is a quick car but it doesn't press you back in your seat. The X5 M50i really feels like a performance car both in terms of acceleration, and in terms of steering feel, cornering ability, etc. I also felt that while the X5 M50i was more performance oriented, the ride quality was still very good. The drawback was I prefer the format of the GLE. I hate the split tailgate and the anemic rear legroom on the X5. Also the GLE looks a lot better and has a smoother ride - especially with eABC.

It's a luxury vs performance choice.

There is one more car you should consider. Porsche of Los Angeles has a CPO Cayenne S which is totally loaded (white with red leather, 22" wheels, Ceramic Brakes. Original MSRP was $140 and they are asking 99. I thought about buying that one, but in the end my wife preferred the GLE.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 02-03-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:27 PM

I hear what you are saying. My wife drives a 2019 X5 40i and loves it. I really didn't want the same car again but they are like night and as far as well everything. But I'm dealing with the same issue she wants to be able to drive my car if she needs it and also doesn't like the fact that that I would have to get set of all season tires for the winter. They are about $1800. I'm torn I really am and what makes this really hard is I know the BMW dealer where I used to live ( about 180 miles away) and he is willing to discount the X5M50i 12% + $4250 in BMW incentives so I can get a $95K vehicle for about 80K we are going back and forth with making a decision. It's turning into a disagreement about what direction to go in.

BTW what kind of discount were you getting off the GLE 580?

Last edited by Fastcars1969; 02-03-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:58 PM
gdl

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Have you noticed a roughness at idle with it in 4-cylinder operation? Some on the GLS forum have complained about that.
I had seen a few references early on about 4-cylinder operation or cylinder deactivation, but can find no credible marketing information from Mercedes showing that it is actually being employed on the 580. A few Daimler press releases about it eventually coming but they are old press releases. It appears they could have used it on this engine but I feel they did not implement it. I have not noticed a roughness at idle but have not had it idle very much, have been thrilled being out on the road. I will pay attention and get back.

The only complaint I have so far Is that the center console is not large and there is not much room to store things. I typically keep a tissue box in there for my wife and children but will likely have to find another spot for it. Perhaps in the door, which has plenty of storage.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:22 PM
gdl

In response to stealth.pilot post above. BMW has tuned the 50i to do that and once Mercedes comes out with the AMG V8 based on this motor, it will likely be even more thrilling to drive—tuned specifically for that buyer. Mercedes has the sportier and more expensive AMG line and it makes sense that they would intentionally keep the 580 more subdued to not pull away too many AMG buyers. I would not pay the stiff premium to go with the AMG when this is as luxurious and fun to drive as I need. I also do not like the deep bolsters on the AMG seats. I get the Mercedes marketing and am glad to be able to purchase a non-AMG V8 in the GLE. My wife thought I was crazy paying the premium to go from the 450 to the 580, but for me it was the right vehicle. I did drive the X5 and liked it, but preferred the GLE as it seemed a bit more luxurious and I have really liked my wife’s 2017 GLS.

Last edited by gdl; 02-03-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I hear what you are saying. My wife drives a 2019 X5 40i and loves it. I really didn't want the same car again but they are like night and as far as well everything. But I'm dealing with the same issue she wants to be able to drive my car if she needs it and also doesn't like the fact that that I would have to get set of all season tires for the winter. They are about $1800. I'm torn I really am and what makes this really hard is I know the BMW dealer where I used to live ( about 180 miles away) and he is willing to discount the X5M50i 12% + $4250 in BMW incentives so I can get a $95K vehicle for about 80K we are going back and forth with making a decision. It's turning into a disagreement about what direction to go in.

BTW what kind of discount were you getting off the GLE 580?
The best discount I was offered on the 580 was $4000 plus I could get the United Airlines Premier member discount which is $500. So $4500 off. In the end I bought a 450 instead because I found one which was 4 weeks old with 800 miles (was returned by the original buyer), almost exact build I wanted and I got a $85k MSRP car for $70k (18% off).
Old 02-03-2020, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
Don't be afraid to tow with it.... ml 2012 ML63 pulled our boat with ease... boat/trailer i think just under 7k lbs...
Old 02-03-2020, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cylinder deactivation in the 580?

Originally Posted by gdl
I had seen a few references early on about 4-cylinder operation or cylinder deactivation, but can find no credible marketing information from Mercedes showing that it is actually being employed on the 580. A few Daimler press releases about it eventually coming but they are old press releases. It appears they could have used it on this engine but I feel they did not implement it. I have not noticed a roughness at idle but have not had it idle very much, have been thrilled being out on the road. I will pay attention and get back.
This is from Daimler regarding the GLS 580:

"Cylinder shut-off is active in the DYNAMIC SELECT drive modes Comfort or ECO in the rev range from 900 – 3250 rpm. Above that engine speed or when the driver strongly presses the accelerator pedal, cylinders 2, 3, 5 and 8 are switched on within milliseconds. The transition between the two operating modes is seamless and with no loss of comfort for the occupants. A pendulum-type absorber reduces both fourth-order vibrations in eight-cylinder mode as well as second-order vibrations in four-cylinder mode."

Doesn't seem like they would do it for that and not the GLE?

Edit: Document attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Page from GLS 580.pdf (65.4 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 02-04-2020 at 09:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Pachole (02-10-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 04:09 PM

I was offered 7.5% on a 94K build
Old 02-04-2020, 03:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2018 AMG S63 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I totally agree. The GLE580 is a quick car but it doesn't press you back in your seat. The X5 M50i really feels like a performance car both in terms of acceleration, and in terms of steering feel, cornering ability, etc. I also felt that while the X5 M50i was more performance oriented, the ride quality was still very good. The drawback was I prefer the format of the GLE. I hate the split tailgate and the anemic rear legroom on the X5. Also the GLE looks a lot better and has a smoother ride - especially with eABC.

It's a luxury vs performance choice.

There is one more car you should consider. Porsche of Los Angeles has a CPO Cayenne S which is totally loaded (white with red leather, 22" wheels, Ceramic Brakes. Original MSRP was $140 and they are asking 99. I thought about buying that one, but in the end my wife preferred the GLE.
I agree with both of you. The AMG GLE53 will have the sport bit but not the outright speed. Makes me wonder if we're going to get a AMG GLE63 (as well as the GLE63 S) in the U.S. market. The X5 M50i is a rocket.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 63 & 63S

Originally Posted by Prago
I agree with both of you. The AMG GLE53 will have the sport bit but not the outright speed. Makes me wonder if we're going to get a AMG GLE63 (as well as the GLE63 S) in the U.S. market. The X5 M50i is a rocket.
You can be sure you we will get the 63 & 63S - money to be made; M-B would be stupid not to bring them here. And it will be the answer to the X5 M50i with a lot more power and the 48V advantage. Personally I find such vehicles a little odd, but they seem to sell.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
You can be sure you we will get the 63 & 63S - money to be made; M-B would be stupid not to bring them here. And it will be the answer to the X5 M50i with a lot more power and the 48V advantage. Personally I find such vehicles a little odd, but they seem to sell.

I hear ya on the littlle odd thing... I just needed a daily drover suv for multiple things... no room in the garage for a hot rod... so it's fun to listen to and drive my AMG... all in 1 garage space
Old 02-04-2020, 03:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2018 AMG S63 Cabriolet
One would think, but MBUSA makes odd decisions sometimes. While I'm sure the 63 S will make it, it's worth noting that there is no regular E63 in the U.S. to truly do battle with the M550i.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 356 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Originally Posted by Prago
One would think, but MBUSA makes odd decisions sometimes. While I'm sure the 63 S will make it, it's worth noting that there is no regular E63 in the U.S. to truly do battle with the M550i.
The 63s compete with full M models - an E63 or GLE63 would go up against an M5 and X5 M and the S models against the Competition models. The 53s are what really go against the M50is (M550i, X5 M50i.)
So the E63 wouldn’t compete with the M550i. Mercedes just decided there is so little difference in 30bhp that they're better off just bringing the S Model with the E Class, and May end up doing the same for the GLE. You can get the non S Model in other countries, but MB knows no ones gonna buy it.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Mercedes has no answer to the X5 M50i. The GLE63 is going to be 20k more expensive and will be too sporty. I just sold my 2018 E63S and the ride quality was totally abysmal. The nice thing about the M50i is it gives you an M-like performance experience without the full performance suspension and wheel package. AMG has the GLE53 and the GLE580 but neither of these cars will do what the M50i does. I think they should have made the 53 and 55 with the 58 engine tuned to around 530hp (similar to the M50i). That would have nailed it.

But anyway, it's fine to have differentiation. The GLE580 stands alone in being a V8 luxury oriented ride differentiated from the sportier M50i, both of which are differentiated from the uncompromisingly sporty X5M and GLE63 models.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 356 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
But anyway, it's fine to have differentiation. The GLE580 stands alone in being a V8 luxury oriented ride differentiated from the sportier M50i, both of which are differentiated from the uncompromisingly sporty X5M and GLE63 models.
BMW still makes the regular 50i with the 456hp V8, lux suspension, etc.
Old 02-05-2020, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
BMW still makes the regular 50i with the 456hp V8, lux suspension, etc.
The BMW is cramped. What makes the GLE brilliant is the stretched wheelbase. Plus only the GLE offers e-ABC with road scanning technology.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2020 GLE 580