GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS) individual display is not working as it should

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2020 | 03:59 PM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by KJ
My Canadian GLE 53 AMG has TPMS and it shows individual tire pressures and tire temperate for each individual tire.

- The app show tire pressure
- The in-car display shows pressure + temperature
The dealership stated that all AMGs will show individual readings, but non AMGs will not.

Attached is a picture of my air valve:

Apparently AMGs have a different valve with a metal nut visible from the outside.

Can you please share a photo of your air valve?
Old 02-03-2020 | 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
TPMS

Originally Posted by IconBycon
The dealership stated that all AMGs will show individual readings, but non AMGs will not.

Apparently AMGs have a different valve with a metal nut visible from the outside.

I can confirm my US TPMS valves have the metal nut.
Old 02-03-2020 | 05:13 PM
KJ

2020 GLE 53 AMG

My stock wheels have the metal nut (wheels are bagged, but you can still see the nut).

My Aftermarket winter wheels have TPMS with no metal nut.

Old 02-04-2020 | 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

TPMS in Canada

Originally Posted by KJ
My stock wheels have the metal nut (wheels are bagged, but you can still see the nut).

My Aftermarket winter wheels have TPMS with no metal nut.
Di you get any special option that might have added that?
Old 02-04-2020 | 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Except for KJ, it seems
KJ has the AMG 53. Mine is the same in the US showing Temps & Air Pressure in my car, just air in the App.
Old 02-04-2020 | 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No TPMS in Canada except AMG

Originally Posted by Ron.s
KJ has the AMG 53. Mine is the same in the US showing Temps & Air Pressure in my car, just air in the App.
Gotcha - missed that. As other said, it's a real shame M-B Canada (I assume) cheaped out on that (saved a couple hundred $ / car?). The rotational system will let you know when you have a real problem but doesn't reall give the owners the information they need to maintain their tires. I check mine monthly with a gauge, but I think that's too much trouble for many owners who would just like to call up the display.
The following users liked this post:
robert c (10-27-2020)
Old 02-04-2020 | 07:50 PM

GLE 450
I asked the dealership for a car build/data sheet, and I got something that elaborates all the options with the MB codes.

As for the TPMS, my car came with option 477, as others have mentioned and now it is official.

This seems to be an inferior way to measure tire pressure, and will not show actual readings, since it is using the

relative rotational speed of the wheel for that.

My car has all the options ticked other than 3rd row, and as such I assumed that it will have this simple, relatively cheap option,

but I guess I was wrong.

If the AMGs did not have it as well in Canada, I would think it may have to do with accuracy issues due to the harsh weather,

but in this case I have no idea why they chose to skim on this important feature.

But hey, at least I saw it comes with side lamps that project the MB logo, making sure everyone knows you are a Canadian MB sucker

“The best or nothing” – Really?

Old 02-04-2020 | 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
I have option 475 is this a sensor installed on wheels or ABS system ?
Old 02-05-2020 | 04:45 AM

2020 GLE 350d AMG Line Prem+
Originally Posted by tery
I have option 475 and have sensors on all 4 wheels.
Old 02-06-2020 | 11:28 AM

2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
ADD TPMS sensors for option 477

Originally Posted by tery
If you add aftermarket TPMS sensors when your GLE or GLS originally comes with option 477 can you get the tire pressure readings to work? Can anyone confirm if this can be done or not?
Old 02-06-2020 | 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

TPMS

Originally Posted by marchgroupinc
If you add aftermarket TPMS sensors when your GLE or GLS originally comes with option 477 can you get the tire pressure readings to work? Can anyone confirm if this can be done or not?
I cannot confirm, but it is highly unlikely if your car is set up for and Indirect (rotational) system that it is compatible with the Direct TPMS system.
marchgroupinc (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020 | 11:46 AM

GLC63S
Just buy a tire gauge and check them monthly like your suppose to do anyways, The only reason I put tpms sensors in my winters is to get rid of the dashboard light!

accutire !
robert c (10-27-2020)
Old 02-06-2020 | 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Henry Stark
The only reason I put tpms sensors in my winters is to get rid of the dashboard light!!
My wife was alerted to a rapid pressure loss in her ML a couple years ago due to a large nail and was able to pull over quickly and save the tire. I've never had that happen, only slow leaks due to small puntures.
Old 02-06-2020 | 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Henry Stark
Just buy a tire gauge and check them monthly like your suppose to do anyways, The only reason I put tpms sensors in my winters is to get rid of the dashboard light!

accutire !
I change the tire pressure often while towing my trailer and when I go from Canada to the southern US so monitoring it daily while I am travelling is beneficial. I have an active TPMS system for my trailer and it is very useful. Since I must purchase new tires soon I was hoping to get this feature on my GLS580 which only has option 477.
Old 02-06-2020 | 11:58 AM

2020 GLE 450
I don't know, but I would think it's more than just the wheel sensor. There must be some other hardware on the vehicle to communicate with those sensors, plus software.
Old 02-06-2020 | 12:55 PM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by turko
I don't know, but I would think it's more than just the wheel sensor. There must be some other hardware on the vehicle to communicate with those sensors, plus software.
I think your are correct and in vehicle hardware is needed.

If anyone with option 477 can confirm otherwise, it would be interesting to know.

I still can't figure out why would MB Canada decide to specifically target this small feature and ask the factory to install different hardware than what they put in all other GLEs for their biggest market (USA).
Individual readings were available in MB cars over a decade ago and are pretty common and cheap to have these days.

Also, when reading the PDF manual, both the Canadian (much older and outdated) and US versions, there is no mentioning that no individual readings is even an option as far as I can see.
Whenever there are several options available between different car setups, the manual says "in cars with..." "In cars without...", but in this case there is only one option.
Which is also kind of misleading to costumers and why I could not figure out easily that I have option 477 and what on earth it means.

This is a luxury car, and when fully loaded a pretty expensive one, so when it comes to luxury you don't ask why do you need it, you just make sure the customer gets it all, whether he asked for it
or not and let him decide what to do with it.
MB always claim that they bring new features to their customers, that they did not even know they (the customers) wanted/needed, take the energizing comfort for example, how many really use it?
How many remember to use the ionizing feature, and even really know what it is for?

Can I manually measure the tire pressure? Of course I can, and I can live without it as well, but is that what you expect when entering the expensive world of luxury?

TPMS is beyond luxury, it is a real safety feature, and it should not have been changed for the Canadian market IMHO.

The following 3 users liked this post by IconBycon:
cunim (02-07-2020), Ron.s (02-06-2020), tiri (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020 | 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only way to know for certain would be to try it with TPMS or if you had a Shop Foreman/Tech with a direct connection at Mercedes they could ask. At my Dealership the Foreman makes periodic trips for training and he has developed personal Tech contacts that he can use. I assume it’s something that can’t be abused.
It’s entirely possible that both systems are active in the GLE. The tire rotational type systems would normally just trip a sensor that triggers a warning light so the TPMS could also be there active or at most require a software “on” switch to activate it. The reason I think it might just work is it should be independent except for the low pressure warning. It’s just possible that either will trigger the warning but I tend to be an optimist!
Old 02-09-2020 | 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only way to know for certain would be to try it with TPMS or if you had a Shop Foreman/Tech with a direct connection at Mercedes they could ask. At my Dealership the Foreman makes periodic trips for training and he has developed personal Tech contacts that he can use. I assume it’s something that can’t be abused.
It’s entirely possible that both systems are active in the GLE. The tire rotational type systems would normally just trip a sensor that triggers a warning light so the TPMS could also be there active or at most require a software “on” switch to activate it. The reason I think it might just work is it should be independent except for the low pressure warning. It’s just possible that either will trigger the warning but I tend to be an optimist!
I just thought of another way you might check. If the car is also setup for TPMS it might show in the driver display. Left steering wheel hit home button....touchpad to the last choice Service....toggle to Tire pressure. If it has tire pressure and says it won’t be active until driving a few miles I would bet it’s there...if nothing it’s probably not active.
Old 02-12-2020 | 04:58 PM

2020 GLE 450
I just thought of another way you might check. If the car is also setup for TPMS it might show in the driver display. Left steering wheel hit home button....touchpad to the last choice Service....toggle to Tire pressure. If it has tire pressure and says it won’t be active until driving a few miles I would bet it’s there...if nothing it’s probably not active.
Attached video shows what I get. Seems it just resets the current pressure for the pressure loss warner. Don't know why it mentions run flats as they are not equipped.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_5598 (1).mov (2.30 MB, 120 views)
Old 02-12-2020 | 06:22 PM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by turko
Attached video shows what I get. Seems it just resets the current pressure for the pressure loss warner. Don't know why it mentions run flats as they are not equipped.
Exactly what we have here in Canada for the 350/450 (which is option 477 from the factory)

Do you have a specific user manual that is made for the Dominican Republic market or use one of another country?
What does the manual say about how it's supposed to be?
Old 02-13-2020 | 07:58 AM

2020 GLE 450
Exactly what we have here in Canada for the 350/450 (which is option 477 from the factory)

Do you have a specific user manual that is made for the Dominican Republic market or use one of another country?
What does the manual say about how it's supposed to be?
I wouldn't think it's specifically for the DR. Probably for the entire spanish speaking market, and has both. I would think it is just a translation from the main one.
Old 05-30-2020 | 09:25 PM

GLE 450 2020
I think your are correct and in vehicle hardware is needed.

If anyone with option 477 can confirm otherwise, it would be interesting to know.

I still can't figure out why would MB Canada decide to specifically target this small feature and ask the factory to install different hardware than what they put in all other GLEs for their biggest market (USA).
Individual readings were available in MB cars over a decade ago and are pretty common and cheap to have these days.

Also, when reading the PDF manual, both the Canadian (much older and outdated) and US versions, there is no mentioning that no individual readings is even an option as far as I can see.
Whenever there are several options available between different car setups, the manual says "in cars with..." "In cars without...", but in this case there is only one option.
Which is also kind of misleading to costumers and why I could not figure out easily that I have option 477 and what on earth it means.

This is a luxury car, and when fully loaded a pretty expensive one, so when it comes to luxury you don't ask why do you need it, you just make sure the customer gets it all, whether he asked for it
or not and let him decide what to do with it.
MB always claim that they bring new features to their customers, that they did not even know they (the customers) wanted/needed, take the energizing comfort for example, how many really use it?
How many remember to use the ionizing feature, and even really know what it is for?

Can I manually measure the tire pressure? Of course I can, and I can live without it as well, but is that what you expect when entering the expensive world of luxury?

TPMS is beyond luxury, it is a real safety feature, and it should not have been changed for the Canadian market IMHO.
I am in Canada and got my car mid April GLE 2020 450 fully loaded. The Individual tire pressure not there, I cannot see it either.
i asked the dealership if they can install it, they said they are not sure and if it’s beyond the tire sensor, then it might cost around $4000!!

not convinced, It should cost much less, but need some one from Mercedes Benz Canada to check what is on AMG53 and compare it to 350/450 .

Last edited by Gle2020; 06-02-2020 at 08:46 AM.
marchgroupinc (05-31-2020)
Old 10-26-2020 | 09:08 AM

TPMS retrofit option 475

Adding option 475 TPMS to GLS 580 with option 477I already posted this as a separate thread in the GLS X167 thread but the V167 is essentially the same so help may be available here and the issue has already been discussed in this thread.
I have a Canadian spec. 2020 GLS 580 which only come with option 477 "rotational TPMS" and does not give per wheel tire pressure. I am really motivated to have the TPMS individual tire pressure reading because my use of this vehicle involves constant tire pressure changes due to loading and large temperature swings. I have asked the dealer if it can be retrofit and they indicated it would be very expensive, and IMO don't want to waste time on determining the cost because I will tell them is too much $. I understand that. One poster was told $4000 on this forum. I am hoping that if I get the parts at a good price I can do it for hundreds not thousands. I think I only need TPMS sensors for each wheel, a TPMS control module, antenna(s) if the system has them and associated wiring plus a program change for the option 475. I see on this forum that older models have been updated to the TPMS individual tire pressure reading for only hundreds of dollars I and hope it is easy to do on the X167, and is likely the same for the V167. Several other countries get the same rotational TPMS as Canada so there may be others who attempted this.
Does anyone know where the TPMS control module is located and if there are antennas where they are located? What wires are plugged into the Module and antenna components so I can see if the wires are there already on my vehicle? Pictures would be appreciated. Will eventually need part numbers etc. Are there any manuals and wiring diagrams available for X167 or V167?
Old 10-26-2020 | 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan

This is a luxury car, and when fully loaded a pretty expensive one, so when it comes to luxury you don't ask why do you need it, you just make sure the customer gets it all, whether he asked for it or not and let him decide what to do with it.
It's possible that your Government prohibits the type of TPMS you want. Could you check local statutes and report back?
Or check a friend's current model year car to see if they have the same as you?

Here in the U.S., our Government bans the advanced LED headlights that are available in the EU. To me it's a safety issue, but lobbyists have defeated attempts to allow modern lighting here. Just as Lobbyists in EU banned WDH for years. Maybe there's a hidden Special Interest group in Canada that doesn't want modern TPMS?
Old 10-26-2020 | 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
Not the case in Canada. Both my cars have TPMS with individual read out. I think if you install the sensors , it should be a software download to make it work. Call MB in Toronto. Someone there should be able to give you an answer or get you an answer. The sensors are approximately $50.00 per wheel.
mikapen (10-26-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS) individual display is not working as it should