GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS) individual display is not working as it should

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2020 | 01:08 PM

2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by mikapen
It's possible that your Government prohibits the type of TPMS you want. Could you check local statutes and report back?
Or check a friend's current model year car to see if they have the same as you?

Here in the U.S., our Government bans the advanced LED headlights that are available in the EU. To me it's a safety issue, but lobbyists have defeated attempts to allow modern lighting here. Just as Lobbyists in EU banned WDH for years. Maybe there's a hidden Special Interest group in Canada that doesn't want modern TPMS?
It isn't because of any law here in Canada. I have specific wheel tire pressure TPMS in my other 2 cars that were made in USA to Canadian specifications. There is actually an agreement to have similar specifications between Canada and the US to help standardize some things like emission standards and crash standards. Not all specs. are standardized i.e Canada has mandatory daytime running lights that must come on automatically and the US does not. I don't know why Mercedes eliminates this feature on all Canadian spec. Mercedes with the exception of the AMG models for Canada which do come with specific wheel tire pressure TPMS.
Old 10-26-2020 | 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by petee1997
Not the case in Canada. Both my cars have TPMS with individual read out. I think if you install the sensors , it should be a software download to make it work. Call MB in Toronto. Someone there should be able to give you an answer or get you an answer. The sensors are approximately $50.00 per wheel.
That is the reason for my post to find out how to do it. Simply adding individual sensors to each wheel and changing the MB computer programming is not enough. I have asked my local London Ontario dealer about this and simple answer is, it is cost prohibitive. The majority of Mercedes dealers in Toronto and area are corporate owned and the official word from Mercedes Canada is that it cannot be done. I read about an individual who moved to the US from Canada and could not import their Mercedes because of this issue. It could be that this is the policy of Mercedes so that some Canadian Models that are cheaper in Canada won't be exported to the US because the US requires different TPMS among other things.
Old 10-26-2020 | 05:02 PM

GLC63S
Originally Posted by petee1997
Not the case in Canada. Both my cars have TPMS with individual read out. I think if you install the sensors , it should be a software download to make it work. Call MB in Toronto. Someone there should be able to give you an answer or get you an answer. The sensors are approximately $50.00 per wheel.
If it’s an AMG car and not AMG stying pack.
Old 10-26-2020 | 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by marchgroupinc
That is the reason for my post to find out how to do it. Simply adding individual sensors to each wheel and changing the MB computer programming is not enough. I have asked my local London Ontario dealer about this and simple answer is, it is cost prohibitive. The majority of Mercedes dealers in Toronto and area are corporate owned and the official word from Mercedes Canada is that it cannot be done. I read about an individual who moved to the US from Canada and could not import their Mercedes because of this issue. It could be that this is the policy of Mercedes so that some Canadian Models that are cheaper in Canada won't be exported to the US because the US requires different TPMS among other things.
The system you have is a legal method in the US. My Audi uses that method. Spend $70k for a car and no sensors that are common in vehicles half that price.
Old 10-27-2020 | 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...24 GLE53
Originally Posted by marchgroupinc
like I said, call MB head office in Toronto. Software makes everything run, and I believe this is software. Dealer employees are lazy and they may not have called.

Old 02-13-2021 | 02:49 AM

GLS580
I got the same issue. My GLS580, 2021 model, also does not display the digital number about the 4 tires' pressure. And I went to the dealership services, they told me that in Canada only AMG and Maybach, or S-class have the features. Others are not. They only have the low tire pressure warning ,and you also don't know which tire pressure is low...... so funny....This is a super normal safety feature. I guess only the sensors are different. If anyone can order the OEM sensor from the US MB dealership and install it, maybe it can work. But this is only a guess....I must be said TPMS display is an important safety function. And GLS is mention the SUV's S-class....The liar Mercedes. If S-class have the feature why GLS does not have.
BTW, they also check others GLS 450 and 580 in lot, all of them don't display the digital number.

Old 02-13-2021 | 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
TPMS

Originally Posted by Yaoting Lin
I got the same issue. My GLS580, 2021 model, also does not display the digital number about the 4 tires' pressure. And I went to the dealership services, they told me that in Canada only AMG and Maybach, or S-class have the features. Others are not. They only have the low tire pressure warning ,and you also don't know which tire pressure is low...... so funny....This is a super normal safety feature. I guess only the sensors are different. If anyone can order the OEM sensor from the US MB dealership and install it, maybe it can work. But this is only a guess....I must be said TPMS display is an important safety function. And GLS is mention the SUV's S-class....The liar Mercedes. If S-class have the feature why GLS does not have.
This is really cheap on MB's part - what, to save $100 per car? I believe it's more than sensors; the system in Canada is based on wheel rotation differences so is an entirely different one. I don't think retrofit is feasible. Canadians can comfort themselves in the fact they get better intelligent headlight function.

Old 02-13-2021 | 12:27 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
This is really cheap on MB's part - what, to save $100 per car? I believe it's more than sensors; the system in Canada is based on wheel rotation differences so is an entirely different one. I don't think retrofit is feasible. Canadians can comfort themselves in the fact they get better intelligent headlight function.
I agree, but $100 per car for 1,000 cars is $100,000. 10,000 cars is $1,000,000. It adds up quickly.
Old 02-13-2021 | 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
BTW, they also check others GLS 450 and 580 in lot, all of them don't display the digital number.
It looks like the photos you posted are of the 4Matic status, not the TPMS. If you drill down to the Service menu, will you get the readouts you want?
Sorry I don't have my car and I can't go out and check, so I'm working from memory.
Old 02-14-2021 | 03:40 AM

GLS580
Originally Posted by mikapen
It looks like the photos you posted are of the 4Matic status, not the TPMS. If you drill down to the Service menu, will you get the readouts you want?
Sorry I don't have my car and I can't go out and check, so I'm working from memory.
yep, you're right. it's on the service -> tire pressure. And I can not got the digital number for tire pressure and temperature here.
Old 02-14-2021 | 06:13 PM

GLS580
Today, I used the TPMS reader to try to read the tire pressure and temperature. The TPMS machine I purchased from China 5 years ago and I upgraded the software today.
An amazing thing is that the TPMS reader can read all of the information from the wheel sensor.
BTW, the wheels are aftermarket I purchased from MB dealership for winter. And the valve's cap is plastic not metal. My OEM 22'' high-preformation wheel have the metal valve cap.
So, I guess in Canada the AMG and MAYBASH, the MBUX system is different others class, such as my GLS580 2021 model. The sensors are here, and the sensors get all of the information about the tire pressure and temperature, but it can not send the information to MBUX to display on the multifunction's screen.
I also think the dealer can not activate the TPMS digital number display because the software block it! If someone can download or get the US version MBUX and replace the Canada version, it should be work.

The following users liked this post:
marchgroupinc (02-15-2021)
Old 02-14-2021 | 10:26 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
I also think the dealer can not activate the TPMS digital number display because the software block it! If someone can download or get the US version MBUX and replace the Canada version, it should be work.
You could try emailing Vladimir at canfiltermb@gmail.com and see if he can do that. He's the guy who sells a mod to upgrade American intelligent lights to the European intelligent lights.
Old 11-14-2021 | 01:42 PM

TPMS Sensors, module and programming required

Here is an update of how it is possible to add TPMS with actual pressure readings for those GLS/GLE models in countries that do not have it like us here in Canada. It was a lot of work but this is important to me so I can monitor my tire pressure changes while constantly changing loads and extreme temperature changes. All my vehicles (made in USA to Canadian spec.), have this even my travel trailer so I do not understand why it is not standard equipment in Canada. I hope this helps some others.

I now have the tire pressure reading on my Canadian spec. GLS 580. I added the TPMS sensors, TPMS module and a programming coding change to get it to work. The sensors are the valve stem type so tire removal is required. The TPMS Module gets mounted on the underside of the vehicle under the front right footwell, there is a mounting stud there for the device. I found a rubber plug in the floor pan to the rear of the module to run the wires through. The front carpet and RHS front seat must be removed to wire the module into the CANBUS and power and ground. You may get away with not completely removing the seat but I found it easier to get it out of the way especially to run the wires through the rubber plug. I did not disconnect the power to the seats because I did not want to have an issue with airbag lights and I am not familiar with the correct way to disconnect the 48 volt power. I used the ground point that was there under the seat. The power wire runs all the way back to the right rear fuse box location 467. The fuse box was loosened to get the connection in the correct location from the rear. Added a fuse. The CANBUS wire was run to one of the available spots on the connection point in the diagram. Coding was required to activate it once it is installed. The Mercedes ME app does not show the actual tire pressure (with the updated Canadian version) it still shows "Tire Pressure is Within Normal...". If you have the older version like some other countries maybe it will show. Next time I travel to the US I plan to download the Mercedes Me app there to see if that will give me tire pressure readings again. I contacted Mercedes Canada CS and asked about getting the old app to read the tire pressure but got a runaround stating it is not available on the GLS.

TPMS module location under floor

TPMS Module

Black wire runs to rear fusebox

Canbus connection violet wires
The following 4 users liked this post by marchgroupinc:
IconBycon (11-14-2021), jtjbt20x (11-14-2021), Ron.s (11-14-2021), W205C43PFL (11-14-2021)