GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS) individual display is not working as it should

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2020 | 03:43 PM

GLE 450
Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS) individual display is not working as it should

I got my car recently, and since it is winter here in Canada, I asked to have the winter tires pre-installed,

so I never had a chance to check or drive the all season tires that came with the car (AMG 20" with Cooper BTW).

It came as a complete set of rims with tires, so there was not tire swap and I assume that the original air valves were left with the original set for storage.
The winter tires that were installed are MB original 20” with Pirelli Scorpions.

The problem is, since I got the car it never showed me individual tire pressure, and the Mercedes ME app says

it was last measure the date they were replaced, but without any values.

The in-car display does say it is just ACTIVE.

I tried to reset it several times and drove over an hour with it after that, but nothing changed till now.

I showed that to the SA in the dealership, and to a bunch of other people from service and sales, who insist

that my car does not have individual readings.

They claim that only the GLE AMG variant comes with individual readings.

The SA also showed me that the air valves on all the AMGs in the showroom have a steel nut that is visible from the outside,

and mine don’t have it, so he claims that only the ones with this setup will have individual readings.

Since I didn’t have any way to prove him otherwise, I accepted this explanation for the time being.

I need the help from anyone who would be kind enough to send 2 pictures:
One of the air valve
One of their in-car tire pressure display,

Please state what car model it is and whether the wheels are original or not (no need for AMGs).

If the valves look like mine and the car is GLE 350/450 and shows individual readings, then I can show it to the dealership

and ask for a fix.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by IconBycon; 02-01-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2020 | 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
All UK cars are AMG line and have tyre monitoring, I don't believe that any new model GLE regardless of version wouldn't have this, if they don't it is a disgrace. Hope somebody can help you.
Old 02-01-2020 | 07:20 PM

GLC63S
Originally Posted by IconBycon
I got my car recently, and since it is winter here in Canada, I asked to have the winter tires pre-installed,

so I never had a chance to check or drive the all season tires that came with the car (AMG 20" with Cooper BTW).

It came as a complete set of rims with tires, so there was not tire swap and I assume that the original air valves were left with the original set for storage.
The winter tires that were installed are MB original 20” with Pirelli Scorpions.

The problem is, since I got the car it never showed me individual tire pressure, and the Mercedes ME app says

I tried to reset it several times and drove over an hour with it after that, but nothing changed till now.

I showed that to the SA in the dealership, and to a bunch of other people from service and sales, who insist

The SA also showed me that the air valves on all the AMGs in the showroom have a steel nut that is visible from the outside,

and mine don’t have it, so he claims that only the ones with this setup will have individual readings.

Since I didn’t have any way to prove him otherwise, I accepted this explanation for the time being.

One of the air valve

Please state what car model it is and whether the wheels are original or not (no need for AMGs).

If the valves look like mine and the car is GLE 350/450 and shows individual readings, then I can show it to the dealership

and ask for a fix.

Thanks for your help!

My AMG 53 came with the individual sensors.

It is possible because Tpms is not law in Canada like it is in the US and other countries that the 350/450 just works off the ABS sensors to determine if the pressures fall greatly out of spec. They also might do this because of the temp swings in our climate which produce a lot of nuisance service calls because people are not adjusting pressure to keep up with temperature swings? Or maybe they are just cheaping out!

Last edited by Henry Stark; 02-02-2020 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2020 | 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
TPMS

Originally Posted by Henry Stark
It is possible because Tpms is not law in Canada like it is in the US and other countries that the 350/450 just works off the ABS sensors to determine if the pressures fall greatly out of spec. They also might do this because of the temp swings in our climate which produce a lot of nuisance service calls because people are not adjusting pressure to keep up with temperature swings? Or maybe they are just cheating out!
OP, do you have the Mercedes me app in Canada? You should be able to check individual tire pressures with that. Or, as Henry says, Canada gets shortchanged with just a rotation measuring system that only lets you know if a tire is out of spec. Individual TPMS is rquired on all new cars in the US and European Union.
Old 02-02-2020 | 01:41 AM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by Philamg
All UK cars are AMG line and have tyre monitoring, I don't believe that any new model GLE regardless of version wouldn't have this, if they don't it is a disgrace. Hope somebody can help you.
They were referring to those that are with actualy AMG engine, not AMG body styling like mine.
Old 02-02-2020 | 01:44 AM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
OP, do you have the Mercedes me app in Canada? You should be able to check individual tire pressures with that. Or, as Henry says, Canada gets shortchanged with just a rotation measuring system that only lets you know if a tire is out of spec. Individual TPMS is rquired on all new cars in the US and European Union.
I have the Mercedes me app, and I'm using it daily.
It does not show individual reading as well, I assume since the car dash does not.

What is the status in your car in that respect?
Old 02-02-2020 | 02:09 AM

GLC63S
They were referring to those that are with actualy AMG engine, not AMG body styling like mine.
The 53 is considered an AMG not
just an optional styling package.
Old 02-02-2020 | 02:17 AM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by Henry Stark
The 53 is considered an AMG not
just an optional styling package.
I know that and in my original post I said that the dealership claims that the individual monitoring is only with AMGs (engine) like the 53 for example,
and that is why I need help from those who have 350 or 450 to prove to them that not only AMGs have individual readings.

IMHO the whole thing is ridicules for so many reasons, but if I don't get any help to show them hard evidence, like I asked for, it will be hard to make progress.
Old 02-02-2020 | 05:24 AM

2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
I know that and in my original post I said that the dealership claims that the individual monitoring is only with AMGs (engine) like the 53 for example,
and that is why I need help from those who have 350 or 450 to prove to them that not only AMGs have individual readings.

IMHO the whole thing is ridicules for so many reasons, but if I don't get any help to show them hard evidence, like I asked for, it will be hard to make progress.
450 with AMG line here, in the US and have individual tire measurement.

Old 02-02-2020 | 05:53 AM

2020 GLE 450
We have a 450, and are in Canada. Ours does not show the individual tire pressure measurements, either. I took the vehicle in to the dealer to get it checked out, since all of the documentation I've found says that it should be there. However, they checked every 350 and 450 on the lot, and none of them showed individual tire pressure. On scouring these forums, I've found a few posts that mention, as Henry Stark said above, that since it's not law in Canada, a lot of manufacturers don't activate that feature here. At this point I'm pretty sure that it's the case that M-B doesn't activate it, at least on the GLE. Our last GLE didn't have individual tire pressure showing either.
Old 02-02-2020 | 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by Juan Estrada
450 with AMG line here, in the US and have individual tire measurement.

Do you BOUNCE along the road with those tyre pressures?.
The following users liked this post:
robert c (10-27-2020)
Old 02-02-2020 | 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I would bet that the feature is activated but that they don’t put the TPMS sensor in the wheel. Sensors show Air Pressure & Temperature and info can be found in the driver screen options and in the Mercedes me App. You can buy a set of sensors from Tire Rack in the US that work... I put them in my winter set. Cost was about $160 for 4.
What a cheap omission from a Luxury car. You might complain to Mercedes Canada, they are probably responsible for the omission.
Old 02-02-2020 | 10:10 AM

2020 GLE
Originally Posted by Philamg
Do you BOUNCE along the road with those tyre pressures?.
Not sure why MB puts such high pressures in the tires when they are delivered. A lot of complaints about harsh rides can be alleviated just by decreasing the tire pressure a bit.
Old 02-02-2020 | 10:16 AM

2020 GLE 450 + 2019 Audi eTron
Originally Posted by tinman831
Not sure why MB puts such high pressures in the tires when they are delivered. A lot of complaints about harsh rides can be alleviated just by decreasing the tire pressure a bit.
Totally agree. My 450 had 42 PSI all around. I dropped them to 36....ride is much better. It appears the dealers are filling to max PSI rated for the tire. There are 3 PSI ratings.....Driver door jamb, gas filler door and owners manual...Can be confusing...
Old 02-02-2020 | 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tire pressure confusion

Originally Posted by jcapotos
Totally agree. My 450 had 42 PSI all around. I dropped them to 36....ride is much better. It appears the dealers are filling to max PSI rated for the tire. There are 3 PSI ratings.....Driver door jamb, gas filler door and owners manual...Can be confusing...
It is confusing, but as the screen says, use the one on the fuel filler door, which is only 31/31 for normal load on mine (21s). I run a pound or two more, but not too much.

The following 2 users liked this post by GregW / Oregon:
jcapotos (02-02-2020), robert c (10-27-2020)
Old 02-02-2020 | 11:37 AM
Banned

A
49 is nuts! I am running 34 on my 21s and feel that it's perfect
Old 02-02-2020 | 12:51 PM

GLE 450, SLK 350
You are chasing after something that does not exist...for a number of Mercedes models in Canada tire pressure monitoring is accomplished by measuring individual rotational speed of each wheel rather than using individual pressure sensors mounted inside the rim. I have had this rotational speed measuring system on a 2012 ML 350, 2014 ML 350, now on my 2020 GLE and also on my wife's 2014 SLK car.

In my experience the system works well and over the years we have had couple of instances where the we did have a slow leak on a tire and the monitoring system warned us well in advance. It is annoying that the app has the screen to show individual pressure when the car is not capable of measuring it, but rest assured that the car does have a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (as mandated by Canadian law I believe) it just does not work by measuring individual tire pressures but use the rotational speed measuring system.

Quite honestly I have been happy not to have to purchase 4 more sensors for winter wheels...the current systems works well in my experience

Brian

One of the air valve

and ask for a fix.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-02-2020 | 01:28 PM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by auntieshoque
We have a 450, and are in Canada. Ours does not show the individual tire pressure measurements, either. I took the vehicle in to the dealer to get it checked out, since all of the documentation I've found says that it should be there. However, they checked every 350 and 450 on the lot, and none of them showed individual tire pressure. On scouring these forums, I've found a few posts that mention, as Henry Stark said above, that since it's not law in Canada, a lot of manufacturers don't activate that feature here. At this point I'm pretty sure that it's the case that M-B doesn't activate it, at least on the GLE. Our last GLE didn't have individual tire pressure showing either.
I had a similar experience.

Maybe other Canadians can comment on their TPMS status...
Old 02-02-2020 | 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
I think most Canadian MB car use tire radius via ABS system as Tire pressure warning system. By detecting differences of rolling speed of each wheel. At least my 2017 GLE43 was like that.
Old 02-02-2020 | 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Tyre pressure for my 22's is 32, I run them at 34 and have no issues with comfort.
Old 02-02-2020 | 08:48 PM
RWR

2012 ML350, 2016 E350
I run 34 front and 36 rear in my 21's....rides and handles great with standard spring suspension
Old 02-03-2020 | 01:42 PM

2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
What a cheap omission from a Luxury car. You might complain to Mercedes Canada, they are probably responsible for the omission.
You'd be surprised... We don't even get driver seat memory and electric steering column as standard. Talk about cheap omissions.

TPMS is not standard here either. We only get Tire Pressure Loss Warner, with a 477 build code.
Old 02-03-2020 | 02:12 PM
KJ

2020 GLE 53 AMG
My Canadian GLE 53 AMG has TPMS and it shows individual tire pressures and tire temperate for each individual tire.

- The app show tire pressure
- The in-car display shows pressure + temperature
Old 02-03-2020 | 03:20 PM

2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Here's a screenshot my fellow Canadians see when using the app.

Old 02-03-2020 | 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Canadian TPMS?

Originally Posted by tiri
Here's a screenshot my fellow Canadians see when using the app.
Except for KJ, it seems

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPMS) individual display is not working as it should