GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

3rd row seat - trunk space

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 09:04 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Porsche Taycan Turbo / MB GLS 450
3rd row seat - trunk space

Does the trunk get smaller (less height?) if you option it with the 3rd-row-seats?
Old 03-07-2020, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
CLK320
I think it’s the same height but I lose the under floor storage space.
The following users liked this post:
amelen (03-08-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 10:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 MB GLE 350
Same height
The following users liked this post:
amelen (03-07-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If you don't "need" 3rd row - don't get it - in large part adding 3rd row drops spare tire and adds Extended Mobility tires.

You have a 2012 ML - unless you "need" to add 3rd row - stays with 2/3 seating
Old 03-10-2020, 07:47 PM
DMG

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2001 G500
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
If you don't "need" 3rd row - don't get it - in large part adding 3rd row drops spare tire and adds Extended Mobility tires.

You have a 2012 ML - unless you "need" to add 3rd row - stays with 2/3 seating
I have to respectfully disagree. I have the 3rd row and the mobility tires. First, on the tires: we had a large nail/bolt enter the tire and only knew because the car told us we lost pressure in that tire. It didn't look like we lost any pressure so I thought the sensor was malfunctioning. We finished our day on the road running a long trip, I took the car in the next day to Mercedes and they pointed out the nail. So much easier than being stuck on the side of the road in my opinion, trying to change a flat. They told me I could get it plugged somewhere else but they had to change the tire which I opted for. Expensive but I could have gone the plug route which I've had friends tell me that is the way to go since then.

Next - the movable 2nd row rocks! You can move it back for comfort for your 2nd row passengers, or if you have a big rear facing child seat like we have, and your front passengers have more room. If you need maximum space in the rear, just move them forward. Absolutely amazing in my opinion.

Finally - if you want to bring an extra 2 people, obviously you are all set. My wife is about 5'5" and has ridden back there with a friend no problem on occasions when we've taken another couple and their child with us.

I can't say enough how much I like have the 3rd row but obviously to each his own. If plugging a hole is really advised against, I suppose the extra cost of replacing the tire ($400 all in) is a serious detractor.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by DMG
I have to respectfully disagree. I have the 3rd row and the mobility tires. First, on the tires: we had a large nail/bolt enter the tire and only knew because the car told us we lost pressure in that tire. It didn't look like we lost any pressure so I thought the sensor was malfunctioning. We finished our day on the road running a long trip, I took the car in the next day to Mercedes and they pointed out the nail. So much easier than being stuck on the side of the road in my opinion, trying to change a flat. They told me I could get it plugged somewhere else but they had to change the tire which I opted for. Expensive but I could have gone the plug route which I've had friends tell me that is the way to go since then.

Next - the movable 2nd row rocks! You can move it back for comfort for your 2nd row passengers, or if you have a big rear facing child seat like we have, and your front passengers have more room. If you need maximum space in the rear, just move them forward. Absolutely amazing in my opinion.

Finally - if you want to bring an extra 2 people, obviously you are all set. My wife is about 5'5" and has ridden back there with a friend no problem on occasions when we've taken another couple and their child with us.

I can't say enough how much I like have the 3rd row but obviously to each his own. If plugging a hole is really advised against, I suppose the extra cost of replacing the tire ($400 all in) is a serious detractor.
I have to respectfully disagree too. If you don’t need the third row (larger family), don’t get it. This is another reason I am ordering a car versus buying one off the lot. Having to pay thousands of dollars for options you don’t want is a P.I.A. and just takes money out of my pocket. Plus in my 31 years of driving I think I’ve had two flat tires (fingers crossed) and one of them was one my wife cause after hitting a pot hole with BMW run flat tires (gosh I hated that budget buy rocket car). The third row just seems to hard to get in and out of too. Every GLE I looked at the second row was slow and cumbersome to get moved and then back into position. Or maybe it’s that I just don’t want that many people in my car that I know will not take care of it like I do in those rear seats.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:10 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Porsche Taycan Turbo / MB GLS 450
Good feedback guys. We decided that a 3rd row was very important with us and went with the GLS because of that. I like the idea of a "backup 3rd row" solution that GLE/X5/etc.. have now, but for those who really need the extra row or space, the bigger car seems like a better solution.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
In the UK on the 450 we have no choice 3rd row is standard and obviously charged for. I have a 3rd row which I will never use and if I did would have to be a contortionist to get in, I also lose the underfloor storage in boot.