Roof mounted bike rack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just looking
Originally Posted by tiri
Hi guys,
I just bought my boys each a new bike. One is a 20" youth bicycle, the other one is even smaller. They are 6 and 3 years old.
I'm lucky I could (barely) place both in the trunk of the car, but I'm looking for a more realistic solution going forward.

What roof mounted bike rack do you recommend for e bike?

I looked into OEM from Benz, which means a pair of crossbars, and then two bike racks. Adding it all up costs about $1,025 CAD. Steep! It's twice the price I paid for the two bikes!

Perhaps Thule is a better option, but again, it gets pricey pretty fast. I'm at a bit of a loss in selecting the right equipment.

What would you suggest?
I prefer roof racks for carrying my bikes around rather the hitch mounted bike racks. Curious to hear from others how roof racks affect range.
Old 07-23-2024, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 709 Likes on 526 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by yovenim
I prefer roof racks for carrying my bikes around rather the hitch mounted bike racks. Curious to hear from others how roof racks affect range.
I don't know how you do it. I have such a fear of running a roof-mounted rack into my garage door or something else along my destination. I know 3 people who forgot they had bikes on the roof and ran into something at a parking garage, fast food pole, and their own garage.
Old 07-24-2024, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 GLE53
Originally Posted by tiri
Hi guys,
I just bought my boys each a new bike. One is a 20" youth bicycle, the other one is even smaller. They are 6 and 3 years old.
I'm lucky I could (barely) place both in the trunk of the car, but I'm looking for a more realistic solution going forward.

What roof mounted bike rack do you recommend?

I looked into OEM from Benz, which means a pair of crossbars, and then two bike racks. Adding it all up costs about $1,025 CAD. Steep! It's twice the price I paid for the two bikes!

Perhaps Thule is a better option, but again, it gets pricey pretty fast. I'm at a bit of a loss in selecting the right equipment.

What would you suggest?

Just know if you go OEM crossbars and have a panoramic roof the roof will not open with the bars attached. I can’t believe MB did this but they did…other brands will allow the roof to slide open.

I have brand new MB cross bars sitting in the corner of my garage because I didn’t know this…😄
Old 07-25-2024, 03:33 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE
I also use a hitch mounted bike rack. I drove my GLE last winter with crossbars and a roof box. The extra noise was infuriating. I could even hear the roof racks by themselves before I put on the box. I can't imagine how loud it would be with bikes on a roof.
The GLE is wide, so unless you have very large bikes, you they don't stick out to the sides and you can't see them in the side-view mirrors. You just have to get used to the view in the rear-view mirror. You can see through the bikes, but they do wobble a bit on bumps. It can be quite disconcerting at first - I felt they would fall off After a while you can actually forget they're there. You do have to find longer parking spaces though.
Old 07-25-2024, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 709 Likes on 526 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by mykel79
I also use a hitch mounted bike rack. I drove my GLE last winter with crossbars and a roof box. The extra noise was infuriating. I could even hear the roof racks by themselves before I put on the box. I can't imagine how loud it would be with bikes on a roof.
The GLE is wide, so unless you have very large bikes, you they don't stick out to the sides and you can't see them in the side-view mirrors. You just have to get used to the view in the rear-view mirror. You can see through the bikes, but they do wobble a bit on bumps. It can be quite disconcerting at first - I felt they would fall off After a while you can actually forget they're there. You do have to find longer parking spaces though.
Just curious, what brand box and bars do you have? I have always wondered if the AMG box was quieter than the competition. Looks-wise, it's amazing IMO.
Old 07-25-2024, 02:00 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE
Originally Posted by wildta
Just curious, what brand box and bars do you have? I have always wondered if the AMG box was quieter than the competition. Looks-wise, it's amazing IMO.
I have Yakima Railbar
https://yakima.com/products/railbar

Supposedly one of the quietest on the market. I can't really compare as the last time I drove with bars and a box was around 12 years ago on a different car. They do look great though, very low profile and don't stick out to the sides (which I hate).

As for the box, it's a Thule Vector M, which is relatively aerodynamic and quiet as well.
https://www.thule.com/en-us/cargo-ca...tor-m-_-613201

Last edited by mykel79; 07-25-2024 at 02:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wildta (07-25-2024)