Roof mounted bike rack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 10:35 AM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Roof mounted bike rack

Hi guys,
I just bought my boys each a new bike. One is a 20" youth bicycle, the other one is even smaller. They are 6 and 3 years old.
I'm lucky I could (barely) place both in the trunk of the car, but I'm looking for a more realistic solution going forward.

What roof mounted bike rack do you recommend?

I looked into OEM from Benz, which means a pair of crossbars, and then two bike racks. Adding it all up costs about $1,025 CAD. Steep! It's twice the price I paid for the two bikes!

Perhaps Thule is a better option, but again, it gets pricey pretty fast. I'm at a bit of a loss in selecting the right equipment.

What would you suggest?
Old 05-05-2020, 04:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 450
Originally Posted by tiri
Hi guys,
I just bought my boys each a new bike. One is a 20" youth bicycle, the other one is even smaller. They are 6 and 3 years old.
I'm lucky I could (barely) place both in the trunk of the car, but I'm looking for a more realistic solution going forward.

What roof mounted bike rack do you recommend?

I looked into OEM from Benz, which means a pair of crossbars, and then two bike racks. Adding it all up costs about $1,025 CAD. Steep! It's twice the price I paid for the two bikes!

Perhaps Thule is a better option, but again, it gets pricey pretty fast. I'm at a bit of a loss in selecting the right equipment.

What would you suggest?
I'm also looking into the best way to move bikes around, with the GLE and not sure whether to go with the rear hitch or roof.

I have 4 large all mountain bikes (which I love more than the car ), and putting them on the roof could be a challenge.

Why do you prefer the roof over the hitch?
Old 05-05-2020, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by IconBycon
I'm also looking into the best way to move bikes around, with the GLE and not sure whether to go with the rear hitch or roof.

I have 4 large all mountain bikes (which I love more than the car ), and putting them on the roof could be a challenge.

Why do you prefer the roof over the hitch?
I don't have the hitch in the back as I never planned to tow anything.
I had it on my previous 2016 GLE and never used it, so I decided to save money on the $800 option.
Also, I prefer to have as much visibility possible.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML 350
The easiest method from a load/unload perspective is to use a rear hitch mount with a tray set up, this allows bikes to rest wheels on the tray/s and then fasten them to keep upright. This allows many sizes and frame configurations too, They are not cheap (nothing quality will be), but very easy to use. some even swing out to allow hatch access. The roof mounts gets tough with differing sized bikes and if the bikes are heavy or bulky then its even more difficult.

They do make retrofit hitch mounts for the GLE (think Stealth Hitch).
Old 05-06-2020, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EX-NSX; 991TT; MDX; Land Cruiser
1UP has excellent products.
I own one of their hitch mounted bike racks........
They have a system that eliminates "rack rattle" in the receiver + great security options.
Here are photos and website purchasing. They sell direct on line.
https://www.1up-usa.com/photos/
Old 05-06-2020, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Carrying bikes

Quite a few have installed a Stealth hitch after-the-fact and like it. The basic one (without electrical) is $648 - https://stealthhitches.com/products/...yr_2020~ly_all. This would be you best option, but after buying that and a rack, not inexpensive.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I’ve got this on the back of mine and love it. The only down side is that after two back surgeries it is a little heavy to take on and off.

What could possibly go wrong with one on the roof........ (this would be me)

Get a hitch!!
The following users liked this post:
TempeAndy (06-01-2021)
Old 05-08-2020, 02:38 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 450
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
I’ve got this on the back of mine and love it. The only down side is that after two back surgeries it is a little heavy to take on and off.

What could possibly go wrong with one on the roof........ (this would be me)

Get a hitch!!

I was a back passenger in a car with my riding friends, and still remember the horror and the explosion above my head when the whole back collapsed over our heads.
We had 4 bikes on the roof and the car hit the top of a gate in some parking lot.

It took a few very long seconds to realize what happened and thinking "my bike is gone..."

Now for my family I have 4 bikes too, and roof loading means accessing the center of the roof with 2 of the bikes.
It could be challenging with this SUV.

Last edited by IconBycon; 05-08-2020 at 04:36 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by IconBycon
I was a back passenger in a car with my riding friends, and still remember the horror and the explosion above my head when the whole back collapsed over our heads.
We had 4 bikes on the roof and the car hit the top of a gate in some parking lot.

It took a few very long seconds to realize what happened and thinking "my bike is gone..."

Now for my family I have 4 bikes too, and roof loading means accessing the center of the roof with 2 of the bikes.
It could be challenging with this SUV.
Ouch. Scary.
I already have the reflex of watching out for overhead limits every time I drive somewhere, so I (hope) this won't happen to me.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Roof rack dangers

Originally Posted by tiri
Ouch. Scary.
I already have the reflex of watching out for overhead limits every time I drive somewhere, so I (hope) this won't happen to me.
I witnessed that happen at a downtown underground parking garage. I wouldn't trust myself to remember.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2107 MB GLE 350
Long time user of Thule roof racks. Had it mounted to a Honda minivan, and now on the GLE. You need three components: foot, rail and then bike rack. The foot attaches the rail to your roof, and of course the bike rack component attaches to the rail. The rails are universal, you can attach anything in the Thule and most things in the Yakima line to it.

Easiest solution is to use the adjustable foot packs, which have a rubber belt that wraps around the factory rails and holds the Thule cross rail.

Example: Thule Rapid Crossroad foot https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rac...t-pack-_-17852

Several options for rails, but I prefer the more aero rails as they are quieter when they are not loaded (with bike up there its loud no matter what)
https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rac...o-135-_-711400

For bike racks, I use an older version of the Pro Ride XT, which holds any bike without removing the front wheel:
https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rac...de-xt-_-598004

Yes its an investment, but they will last forever and grow with your bikes. you can also mount a storage box up there for long family trips, carry canoes or kayaks, etc. All good fun.

Thule makes a bike mount that straps to the rear window, but I think the plastic fairing on the back of the GLE likely interferes with the rack and cant be used.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chip Mason:
chassis (04-20-2021), tiri (05-12-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 07:48 AM

GLE 450
I've had several bike racks over the years on different vehicles. Definitely prefer the hitch mounted rack by far. Thule and Yakima both have good racks. Currently I have a Yakima RidgeBack and like it very much. The rack locks to the hitch and a U-lock secures the bike to the rack so it's secure (anti-theft). Visibility is not significantly affected, and it's quick and easy to remove the rack when not using it. Roof racks are MUCH more difficult to get a bike attached, and smashing in to low clearance obstructions is not uncommon (out of sight - out of mind).
Old 04-09-2021, 11:21 AM

2021 GLE53
Hi All,

Wondering if I can ask a non-bike rack question but related to the roof rack itself (A 167 890 30 00)...
I have a 2021 GLE53 and recently installed the basic carrier rack. Since doing so I cannot open my panorama roof...it opens "up" at the back but won't retract.
I seem to recall something in the manual about this limitation but, of course, have since thrown away the instruction booklet apparently.

Can anyone confirm that this is supposed to be the case or perhaps I have the bars installed incorrectly? The pano roof on my previous (1999) GLE43 with OEM racks opened all the way...I'm just kind of surprised that, given how high the bars are off the roof that MB would knowingly limit the full use of the roof with this genuine accessory.

Thanks in advance for any input and apologies if this detracts from the intent of the original post.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Carrier bars and sunroof opening

Originally Posted by dwbentz
Hi All,

Wondering if I can ask a non-bike rack question but related to the roof rack itself (A 167 890 30 00)...
I have a 2021 GLE53 and recently installed the basic carrier rack. Since doing so I cannot open my panorama roof...it opens "up" at the back but won't retract.
I seem to recall something in the manual about this limitation but, of course, have since thrown away the instruction booklet apparently.

Can anyone confirm that this is supposed to be the case or perhaps I have the bars installed incorrectly? The pano roof on my previous (1999) GLE43 with OEM racks opened all the way...I'm just kind of surprised that, given how high the bars are off the roof that MB would knowingly limit the full use of the roof with this genuine accessory.

Thanks in advance for any input and apologies if this detracts from the intent of the original post.
From the carrier bar manual:

"When the basic carrier bars for rails are mounted, the (panorama) sliding sunroof cannot be opened entirely. To ventilate the vehicle interior, the (panorama) sliding sunroof can still be raised at the rear. If the (panorama) sliding sunroof comes into contact with a basic carrier bar for rails which has been approved by Mercedes-Benz, it will lower slightly but remain raised at the rear."
Old 04-20-2021, 03:55 PM

2021 GLE53
Thanks, Greg!

Next question...does anyone have a GLE53/63 SUV with non-OEM (Mercedes) racks that allow the pano roof to fully open? Open to recommendations - really like the look and functionality of a roof rack but cannot stomach not being able to open the roof completely.

Thanks in a advance!
Old 04-20-2021, 04:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
V167
For the roof rack, i am planning on to buy the Thule AeroBlade Edge, i talked to the supplier and they said it would fit. But if you plan to just needing a cross bar and bike rack for a 1-2 times use, you can always rent it from Mercedes.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:37 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Antony17
For the roof rack, i am planning on to buy the Thule AeroBlade Edge, i talked to the supplier and they said it would fit. But if you plan to just needing a cross bar and bike rack for a 1-2 times use, you can always rent it from Mercedes.
Can you give an update on whether you got the Thule Edge and whether you're able to open your roof after installation? Thanks!
Old 05-29-2021, 05:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
V167
Originally Posted by jdhoang
Can you give an update on whether you got the Thule Edge and whether you're able to open your roof after installation? Thanks!
It will only work if you don’t open the roof at all.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:56 PM

GLE 450
Thanks for the info Greg! Fellow Oregonian here (Bend) and just ordered a 2022 GLE 450 for April delivery. Was going to get the MB crossbars but sounds like it interferes with the pano roof ... ? Which crossbars did you end up getting and are you happy with them? Cheers, Rob
Old 01-05-2022, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by robliv
Thanks for the info Greg! Fellow Oregonian here (Bend) and just ordered a 2022 GLE 450 for April delivery. Was going to get the MB crossbars but sounds like it interferes with the pano roof ... ? Which crossbars did you end up getting and are you happy with them? Cheers, Rob
I bought the OEM bars early on. Sunroof opening not a huge issue for me because I mostly use the bars for carrying lumber, etc. I have not seen any bars that are not in conflict. Certainly seems like a design would be possible.
robliv (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 07:58 AM

2021 GLE 450
I bought the Thule AeroBlade rails and can slightly open my panorama roof (see Roof Racks) with the rear rail mounted all the way back.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdhoang:
chassis (01-06-2022), robliv (01-06-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 05:52 PM

GLE 450
Originally Posted by jdhoang
I bought the Thule AeroBlade rails and can slightly open my panorama roof (see Roof Racks) with the rear rail mounted all the way back.
Did you look at the OEM and decide these are better? Bummer to get the pano roof and can't open it. I see from above that the roof can be opened a little with the OEMS.

We are only looking to get these to carry a ski rack in the winter ... I wonder if the OEM or the Thule crossbars can easily be removed so we can enjoy opening the pano roof when skis are not needed (Apr-Nov).

Cheers! Rob
Old 01-06-2022, 09:55 PM

2021 GLE 450
If you look at the pictures GregW posted of his OEM racks at Roof Racks, they appear to have less clearance than the Thule bars and Greg mentioned he could only pop the rear. With the Thules, I can open my panorama until they touch the rear bar.

Don't know about the OEM ones, but the Thule bars doesn't appear to be too difficult to remove. Though the Thule attach via rubber straps so I'm not I would do this very often.
robliv (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OEM bar installation

Originally Posted by robliv
We are only looking to get these to carry a ski rack in the winter ... I wonder if the OEM or the Thule crossbars can easily be removed so we can enjoy opening the pano roof when skis are not needed (Apr-Nov).
I would not say installing or removing the OEMs is super easy; installation probably a 10 minute job to get it right by yourself (removal obviously quicker). If you are only doing it seasonally it's not an issue.
robliv (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 11:36 AM

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
2021 GLS450 2020 GLE350 2005 BMW 325ci Convertible
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I would not say installing or removing the OEMs is super easy; installation probably a 10 minute job to get it right by yourself (removal obviously quicker). If you are only doing it seasonally it's not an issue.
I refuse to drive with the crossbars mounted when I am not using them. They are an aerodynamic drag, and cause some loss of MPG. i put them on 3-4 times a year for beach or ski trips, and it takes about 10 minutes.

robliv (01-07-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Roof mounted bike rack