Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 08:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 GLE350
New GLE Keeps Draining Battery - won't start

Hello Everyone

Sorry this is my first post.

Got a new 2020 GLE350 about 3 months ago

About a week ago, it would not start, bunch of lights on the dash, would not turn over

MB sent out a service and they jumped the car

It ran for another week, and then just died again. We had it towed to MB this time

Already checked the Battery and the Alternator, all are fine

Any idea what is causing the battery drain

Tks
Old 06-12-2020, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,022 Likes on 694 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Don’t rule out the battery. I had a similar situation except that with the 450 the 48 volt starts the car. I kept getting “critical battery” message and the dealer couldn’t find anything wrong. Then when it was in for 3 days to replace the MBUX controller it ran down after a charge and they replaced it (the 12 volt battery). I think it had an internal short but got that 3td hand from SA & probably a guess.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 350 4matic
Originally Posted by Willfulone
Hello Everyone

Sorry this is my first post.

Got a new 2020 GLE350 about 3 months ago

About a week ago, it would not start, bunch of lights on the dash, would not turn over

MB sent out a service and they jumped the car

It ran for another week, and then just died again. We had it towed to MB this time

Already checked the Battery and the Alternator, all are fine

Any idea what is causing the battery drain

Tks
I was detailing/ceramic coating mine last week and received a notification that my starter battery is in critical condition. I realized that by having my key in my pocket and hovering around the vehicle, accidentally locking and unlocking the car multiple times, that the car was “awake” the entire time I was detailing it so I was draining the battery.

The process took me a total of 10 hours and the alert occurred around hour 8. When I noticed, I turned the engine on for 30 minutes to recharge the battery then I removed the key from my pocket while I finished up. My battery has been fine since and I haven’t gotten that alert again.
The following users liked this post:
DavidBN (03-22-2023)
Old 06-18-2020, 06:17 PM

2020 GLE350
Back from the shop

ESP was a constant drain on battery

Supposedly a known issue

Fixed with a software update

Will let you know if it fixes the problem permanently, tks for the responses

Old 06-18-2020, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Back from the shop

Supposedly a known issue

Even with the ignition off? Do you have the TSB or Software detail so some of us can check to see if ours needs it? Or post a copy of work order?
Old 06-19-2020, 06:39 AM

2020 GLE350
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Even with the ignition off? Do you have the TSB or Software detail so some of us can check to see if ours needs it? Or post a copy of work order?
I do, I will dig it out and post it up
The following 2 users liked this post by Willfulone:
bad habit (06-19-2020), mikapen (12-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 08:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
ES350 E300 GLE350 GMC3500 Duramax
It seems battery issues are a thing to deal with as our lives and driving patterns have changed due to the virus shutdowns. I am only driving to the post office and grocery store and barely keeping the battery up on the GLE. My Denali Duramax lost both batteries during the cold weather as they weren't being fully charged and the extra drain on the batteries by the glow plugs. Those new AGM batteries just gave up. I am using a Granite battery tender on the new ones for sure. I am also using a Granite tender on the E300 as it hasn't been started since March. The GLE is keeping it's battery ok for some reason but if it acts funny I'll put a tender on it also.
Robert
Old 06-22-2020, 01:53 AM

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I do, I will dig it out and post it up
Just wondering if you were able to find the TSB #? I might have to get my car serviced this week and would like to get outstanding software updates done at the same time. Dealer always claims there are no updates to any of the components, though I did see in another thread GregW mentioned he got updates a while back to the EIS (Electronic Ignition Switch), ESP (Electronic Stability Program), ME & fuel pump software at some point.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2020, 11:34 AM

2020 GLE
2020 Just at dealer 3 weeks

Hi
I just wanted o follow up with you to see if you were still having problems. I was driving my 2020 GLE on the expressway and as soon as I got off stopped at a light my car turned off. All light on dash were lite and it the car did not restart. It was towed to dealer and has been there for 3 weeks. Get messages from app intermittently that battery is critical low or partially charged. They claim they have NEVER seen this before very hard to believe reading all of the bad reviews on this car. Did the software fix work?

Back from the shop

Supposedly a known issue

Last edited by Vernedia; 08-03-2020 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 08-03-2020, 01:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
ES350 E300 GLE350 GMC3500 Duramax
Is this car equipped with the electronics assistance package if so......
did the car start by disconnecting the battery and hooking back up as it appears most do
Robert
Old 08-03-2020, 08:08 PM

2020 GLE
Pinched wire for starter solenoid

Originally Posted by robert c
Is this car equipped with the electronics assistance package if so......
did the car start by disconnecting the battery and hooking back up as it appears most do
Robert
So this is what they claim was wrong with my GLE only took 3 weeks to figure it out. I'm not buying it. Just picked it up so we will see . Now I feel like I don't have a reliable vehicle especially with all the bad reviews I have read. Pinched wiring starter circuit BUT it stopped while at a stop light and then didn't start after it cut off. I'm no mechanic but it doesn't add up to me.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 MB GLC300 & 2020 GLE350
I've had the same issue with my four month old 2020GLE! Keep getting "Critical" messages via email. Dealer has had the vehicle three or four times and continues with software updates apparently dictated by Mercedes. "Starter Battery Partly Charged" shows on the Mercedesme app for almost a week now despite the car being driven daily. Really frustrating and I'm quickly losing confidence in bothe the vehicle and dealership!
Old 08-04-2020, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cosmobenz
I've had the same issue with my four month old 2020GLE! Keep getting "Critical" messages via email. Dealer has had the vehicle three or four times and continues with software updates apparently dictated by Mercedes. "Starter Battery Partly Charged" shows on the Mercedesme app for almost a week now despite the car being driven daily. Really frustrating and I'm quickly losing confidence in bothe the vehicle and dealership!
As I posted earlier....mine turned out to be a bad battery and it has been good since it was replaced. Common sense is it’s either 1. Battery issue 2. Short draining battery 3. Not charging properly. This isn’t Rocket Science so I’d go with the theory of the Dealer Tech being the problem. Since it’s a fairly uncommon problem you have to wonder why they would be looking at software anyway? If it was software wouldn’t it be widespread?
Old 08-04-2020, 12:19 PM

2020 GLE
Pinched wire for starter solenoid

As I posted earlier....mine turned out to be a bad battery and it has been good since it was replaced. Common sense is it’s either 1. Battery issue 2. Short draining battery 3. Not charging properly. This isn’t Rocket Science so I’d go with the theory of the Dealer Tech being the problem. Since it’s a fairly uncommon problem you have to wonder why they would be looking at software anyway? If it was software wouldn’t it be widespread?
I totally agree. I picked up the car yesterday and looked at app 3 hours later" battery partially charged " drove it for15 minutes changed to charged . Checked it all night and drove 40 minutes to work. Still says charged, had to pray all the way to work that this expensive car didn't stop on me again. I will attach work order. Sorry could not straighten it upward. And yes I do have EAP.

Work order attached.
Lanzz (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 03:39 PM

2020 GLE350
Originally Posted by maalox
Just wondering if you were able to find the TSB #? I might have to get my car serviced this week and would like to get outstanding software updates done at the same time. Dealer always claims there are no updates to any of the components, though I did see in another thread GregW mentioned he got updates a while back to the EIS (Electronic Ignition Switch), ESP (Electronic Stability Program), ME & fuel pump software at some point.

Thanks!
Here you go

Sorry for the delay - had a little stay in the Hospital

maalox (08-04-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 11:57 AM

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
various
“Working to MB Specs”. — back in the day, that meant something. Now it just means a reset to the counter to when it’s back in the shop.

Originally Posted by Vernedia
I totally agree. I picked up the car yesterday and looked at app 3 hours later" battery partially charged " drove it for15 minutes changed to charged . Checked it all night and drove 40 minutes to work. Still says charged, had to pray all the way to work that this expensive car didn't stop on me again. I will attach work order. Sorry could not straighten it upward. And yes I do have EAP.

Work order attached.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 450
GLE battery drain

I had a similar experience my new ‘21 GLE450: battery went dead after 230 miles. Had to be towed - could not be jumped. I am waiting more than 30 days fir a new battery coming from Germany. None in the US. So frustrating. Mercedes has a serious problem here with this 48v battery system.

Don’t rule out the battery. I had a similar situation except that with the 450 the 48 volt starts the car. I kept getting “critical battery” message and the dealer couldn’t find anything wrong. Then when it was in for 3 days to replace the MBUX controller it ran down after a charge and they replaced it (the 12 volt battery). I think it had an internal short but got that 3td hand from SA & probably a guess.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by nwehler
I had a similar experience my new ‘21 GLE450: battery went dead after 230 miles. Had to be towed - could not be jumped. I am waiting more than 30 days fir a new battery coming from Germany. None in the US. So frustrating. Mercedes has a serious problem here with this 48v battery system.
Same here. First a 48 volt battery malfunction, then a red 48 volt system failure, then, Must stop the engine due to overheating. Stopped on the side of the road, called Mercedes Road side assistance which is a joke for another post. After repeating to the guy on the phone that I need a tow truck, NOT a jump...who do they send... a jump guy. Anyway, he called me and said he's seen this before, and for me to try to start the car. Did that...everything was just fine...no warnings. I drove it to the dealer in Pompano Beach, FL. the next morning. Drove perfectly fine to the shop. They informed me later in the day that the 48 volt battery needed to be replaced, there are none in the US, and 47 on back order in Germany with no idea when I would get one. The car is still with them since December 1. This is my first MB, and I'm NOT impressed at all. The biggest question I have is...this a battery problem, or software issue...or both? Batteries don't usually come back to life after a failure, and a 10 minute shutdown?? Seems that resetting the software by restarting the car made the issue go away...for now at least.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:44 AM

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 C43 Coupe, 2017 GLE63, 2007 CL600, 1985 SEC560, 2015 FIAT 500,
My '18 GLE sat from May to August with no problem. My '07 CL600 sat from November to February with no problem. Neither had a battery tender. It makes me think there is some kind of draw. There was a really good explanation on how to find the problem on the "Car Wizards" youtube channel.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Baird:
gshockxcc (08-25-2023), MBguy013 (04-23-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 01:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 ML 350 BlueTEC
Here you go

Sorry for the delay - had a little stay in the Hospital

H'mm how is MB Alexandria doing these days. Had one car there, now moved them all to Arlington, far better service in my experience
Old 04-23-2021, 09:22 AM

GLA 250
Jump start battery trick

I have a 2021 GLA and I believe my wife left the door open and drained the battery. Apparently there is no auto light interior shut of like the GM vehicles have. Anyway called the dealer and they sent a tech out.

The Teck just started the vehicle but it still would not start, after about and hour and a half after they realized that the rear auto brakes were on and they would have to drag the truck to get it on the tow truck, the tech ( who was just from a local tow company) accidentally found a trick that Mercedes apparently doesn't want you to know. He pulled the Park Brake released and pushed the start button at the same time Whalla! it started!!!

I say that Mercedes does't want to share this with us is because I have searched the web and the manuals and have not seen this anywhere!!

Again...bull the Park Brake released and pushed the start button at the same time while your jump started is connected.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:23 AM

GLA 250
Jump start battery trick

I have a 2021 GLA and I believe my wife left the door open and drained the battery. Apparently there is no auto light interior shut of like the GM vehicles have. Anyway called the dealer and they sent a tech out.

The Teck just started the vehicle but it still would not start, after about and hour and a half after they realized that the rear auto brakes were on and they would have to drag the truck to get it on the tow truck, the tech ( who was just from a local tow company) accidentally found a trick that Mercedes apparently doesn't want you to know. He pulled the Park Brake released and pushed the start button at the same time Whalla! it started!!!

I say that Mercedes doesn't want to share this with us is because I have searched the web and the manuals and have not seen this anywhere!!

Again...bull the Park Brake released and pushed the start button at the same time while your jump started is connected.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:30 AM

2020 GLE350
Critical Battery - Observations and possible fix...

Have a 2020 GLE350 which I purchased late 2022 (a little rant : I went from a 2014 ML350 which we really loved and now that I've had the GLE350 for a few months, I wouldn't buy a GLE350 again. I don't think in looks, sound, performance, or interior feel it lives up to the MB standard of luxury etc. but I digress.)

Started getting "starter battery critical" message more and more to a point where one day while driving it said to pull over and let the car run for a while. Most of our trips are 30 minutes or less so I thought it was that. Took it to my guy who has been working on my cars for 10 years and he said its around an $700-$800 battery replacement (since its under the seat ) and the charge was only at 50%....

After a lot of thinking on when all the messages started and any correlation to what we do and how we drive, I realized it seemed to be happening with one set of our keys were present and left in the vehicle. We always leave a set of keys in the car when we park it in our garage. I switched keys and stopped using key2 which I suspected was the culprit - and I'd say for the past month we have not gotten the message even when leaving key1 in the car overnight in the garage (initially during this test we totally stopped leaving any keys in the car and after two weeks of not getting the message started to leave key1 overnight). I still have not done enough research or have discussions as to why key2 may cause this, but I do know this car has a ton of electronics so my guess is that if key2 is the cause as I suspect, it must be keeping some system (that would normally got to sleep) ready to go overnight and continually draining the battery while parked overnight or for more than a day. As I find more info, I'll post here.

If anyone has thoughts or feedback would appreciate in advance - i.e. if you are not leaving the keys in the car while parked in garage like us, do you have a key bowl very near the car (or near enough) that's possibly triggering systems to get the car ready for drive....
Old 03-22-2023, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,136 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Charge your battery! Like Right Now!

Resting voltage for a 12v battery is 12.6v, and your 50% SOC is 12.05v.

Allowing your battery to stay at 50% will kill it quickly. It sounds like your mechanic didn't do any testing, and turning you loose without advising a full charge is irresponsible. Try another shop.

Maybe go to an auto parts store, and have them do a full battery diagnostic for free.
Without that information, and a fully charged battery to start with, your "key" investigation won't tell you much at all.

Regarding your key and it's proximity to the car, there is a lot of info in your Owners Manual. The key and its functions have changed since the 167s appeared, so your manual will give current info for your year.
Old 08-26-2023, 09:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2011 w212, 2018 W166, 2024 v167
Originally Posted by mikapen
Charge your battery! Like Right Now!

Resting voltage for a 12v battery is 12.6v, and your 50% SOC is 12.05v.

Allowing your battery to stay at 50% will kill it quickly. It sounds like your mechanic didn't do any testing, and turning you loose without advising a full charge is irresponsible. Try another shop.

Maybe go to an auto parts store, and have them do a full battery diagnostic for free.
Without that information, and a fully charged battery to start with, your "key" investigation won't tell you much at all.

Regarding your key and it's proximity to the car, there is a lot of info in your Owners Manual. The key and its functions have changed since the 167s appeared, so your manual will give current info for your year.

it’ll be cool for Mercedes to update their app and the cars software to alert the owners that the battery is at a certain low .. so MB owners can charge the batteries to top it off.. and also recommend what type of charge works best for MB cars

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New GLE Keeps Draining Battery - won't start