G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

Picked Up New 2024 G63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2024 | 05:20 PM

'24 G63; '24 Emira V6 (manual)
Picked Up New 2024 G63

Hi MB people. I am new to this board and delighted to join the G63 family. I just picked up my new 2024 G63 last night. I was so excited the entire night that I woke up early this morning to dive it, and have already put over 100 miles on it - I don't want to know the dollar amount of that depreciation... I searched for a long time to find one that fits my specifications - mainly magno black exterior paint, black interior, night package, etc. I believe another member of MBW, AmyC, also recently picked one up that is a mirror image of mine. I'm seriously enjoying this vehicle more so than I ever thought I would. The seating height gives me a clear vision of the road ahead, and it has so much punch/power under the engine. I am being gentle with it until the engine is broken in. Does anyone know how many miles it takes to break in the G63?

I have read on a separate thread that several people, including my wife, are waiting for the 2025 model. I am avoiding it because I'm partial to a V8 twin turbo without electrification, which I believe 2024 will be the final model with that powertrain (please correct me if I'm wrong). I can understand how some folks would hold out for the newest, but I'm old fashioned when it comes to cars and electrification. My wife is already gearing up to laugh at me when she gets her 2025 model...

It has been a dream come true for me as I have fantasized about owing a G class for over 20 years. Now that I have actually pulled the financial trigger, there is an indescribable feeling of satisfaction, accomplishment and joy. I hope you all had the same feeling when you picked up your G63 (or first G63, as I see many members who have owned multiple models). I will report back on my experiences of ownership, and will probably be seeking advice from the numerous knowledgeable members on this board.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMGRonin:
300SE1993 (05-16-2024), EJKaufman (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024 | 05:38 PM

Hmmm
Congrats, welcome aboard

In regards to break-in, keep it easy til 1000 mile and under 4500 rpm. There should be a sticker on front window for break-in procedure.
Old 05-16-2024 | 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by uniqueMR
Congrats, welcome aboard

In regards to break-in, keep it easy til 1000 mile and under 4500 rpm. There should be a sticker on front window for break-in procedure.
Thank you. I will check for the sticker. I think I have been so excited that I haven't even examined the truck in detail other than for potential imperfections when I picked it up last night.
Old 05-16-2024 | 06:01 PM

"I have read on a separate thread that several people, including my wife, are waiting for the 2025 model."

So let me get this straight - you heard about your wife waiting for a G63 from an internet forum? Just kidding!!! a little hazing ritual to welcome you to the board.
The following users liked this post:
AMG2019 (05-24-2024)
Old 05-16-2024 | 07:22 PM

2012 S350 Bluetec, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
Congrats! The G is truly a special car
EJKaufman (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024 | 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by slk320
"I have read on a separate thread that several people, including my wife, are waiting for the 2025 model."

So let me get this straight - you heard about your wife waiting for a G63 from an internet forum? Just kidding!!! a little hazing ritual to welcome you to the board.
Haha... Some hazing is perfectly fine. Besides, I may leave my wife for my G63... My wife and I have been debating about which model is (or will be) superior. I opted for the old fashioned V8 twin turbo while she opted to wait for the upcoming 2025 electric assisted model. I had read somewhere the latter's exhaust sound will be muted (to comply with EU rules) but with artificial noise being piped into the vehicle through its speakers. The moment I read that, my mind was made up. I prefer the natural rumblings of the exhaust note, which is music to my ears.
Old 05-16-2024 | 07:41 PM
Veteran: Air Force

AMG GT63S
congrats! and i hear you on keeping that traditional V8 rumble. i saw the reviews that the 25' plays a clip through the speakers. to each their own but i'm sure you folks will enjoy both! Cheers!
AMGRonin (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024 | 08:53 PM

AMG G63 (2024), Ferrari Roma (2023), Alfa Romeo 4C Spider (2020)
Hi Ronin. Congrats on picking up your G63. I think yours and mine do indeed have twin specs. I also elected to purchase the '24 rather than wait for the '25 because I'm partial to a V8 Biturbo without electrification. I suppose it all comes down to a question of personal preference, so more the power to your wife for her decision (and to you for respecting her decision). I have had mine for over a week now, and have been loving every moment I'm in it. Even when I'm stuck in SoCal rush hour traffic, I feel completely decompressed with the windows up as if I'm in a cocoon. It is taking me a bit of time to get accustomed to all the digital features/settings though. I can only imagine the dash system on the '25s as they are being upgraded.

As for the break in period, I'm also taking it very easy. As "uniqueMR" mentioned above, there is a little sticker on the upper windshield corner on the driver's side (facing in) that provides the instructions. My friends at MB corporate tell me to make sure to comply with the requisite specifications, and to get an oil change after the first 1k miles. Apparently, the oil AMG puts into its new vehicles are intended only for engine break in and needs to be drained and replaced after the break in period.

Have fun with your new ride and keep us posted, as I will do the same on my end.

Stay safe.
Old 05-17-2024 | 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
Oil change at 1k miles is outdated for the current G63–used to be that way for pre-2019.

Do what you’d like but there’s something to be said for running factory oil which often has additives others don’t.
Old 05-17-2024 | 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hodog16
Oil change at 1k miles is outdated for the current G63–used to be that way for pre-2019.

Do what you’d like but there’s something to be said for running factory oil which often has additives others don’t.
Good to know, Hodog16. Thank you very much for your input - especially given all the G63 models you have owned. I think I will go with AmyC's recommendation at 1k miles. I checked with a mechanic friend of mine at McLaren, and he told me he always advises clients to do an oil change at 1k miles for all new performance engines. Apparently the composition of oil that manufacturers initially place into new engines contains a higher amount of silicon to help loosen and remove metal shavings, dusts and contaminants that may be left inside the engines from the manufacturing process. He did say it should be fine up to 1.5k miles, but nevertheless suggested 1k miles.
Hodog16 (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024 | 06:15 PM

G550
Congrats @AMGRonin ! There’s no better feeling than driving off the dealer lot behind the wheel of a new G!
The following 2 users liked this post by tonygwagon:
AMGRonin (05-21-2024), EJKaufman (05-18-2024)
Old 05-17-2024 | 11:29 PM

Hmmm
Congrats, welcome aboard

Here you go..

Old 05-18-2024 | 09:57 AM

CLK320
Congrat
AMGRonin (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024 | 09:40 PM

2013 S550 SOLD / 2016 S63 SOLD / 2017 GLS450 / 2017 G550 4x4 / 2019 G63 E1 SOLD / 2019 S63 COUPE
Originally Posted by AMGRonin
Hi MB people. I am new to this board and delighted to join the G63 family. I just picked up my new 2024 G63 last night. I was so excited the entire night that I woke up early this morning to dive it, and have already put over 100 miles on it - I don't want to know the dollar amount of that depreciation... I searched for a long time to find one that fits my specifications - mainly magno black exterior paint, black interior, night package, etc. I believe another member of MBW, AmyC, also recently picked one up that is a mirror image of mine. I'm seriously enjoying this vehicle more so than I ever thought I would. The seating height gives me a clear vision of the road ahead, and it has so much punch/power under the engine. I am being gentle with it until the engine is broken in. Does anyone know how many miles it takes to break in the G63?

I have read on a separate thread that several people, including my wife, are waiting for the 2025 model. I am avoiding it because I'm partial to a V8 twin turbo without electrification, which I believe 2024 will be the final model with that powertrain (please correct me if I'm wrong). I can understand how some folks would hold out for the newest, but I'm old fashioned when it comes to cars and electrification. My wife is already gearing up to laugh at me when she gets her 2025 model...

It has been a dream come true for me as I have fantasized about owing a G class for over 20 years. Now that I have actually pulled the financial trigger, there is an indescribable feeling of satisfaction, accomplishment and joy. I hope you all had the same feeling when you picked up your G63 (or first G63, as I see many members who have owned multiple models). I will report back on my experiences of ownership, and will probably be seeking advice from the numerous knowledgeable members on this board.

Congrats and Enjoy it in a Good Health!! I'm very excited for you, WELCOME ONBOARD!!
It the Ultimate off-roader
AMGRonin (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024 | 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by AmyC
Hi Ronin. Congrats on picking up your G63. I think yours and mine do indeed have twin specs. I also elected to purchase the '24 rather than wait for the '25 because I'm partial to a V8 Biturbo without electrification. I suppose it all comes down to a question of personal preference, so more the power to your wife for her decision (and to you for respecting her decision). I have had mine for over a week now, and have been loving every moment I'm in it. Even when I'm stuck in SoCal rush hour traffic, I feel completely decompressed with the windows up as if I'm in a cocoon. It is taking me a bit of time to get accustomed to all the digital features/settings though. I can only imagine the dash system on the '25s as they are being upgraded.

As for the break in period, I'm also taking it very easy. As "uniqueMR" mentioned above, there is a little sticker on the upper windshield corner on the driver's side (facing in) that provides the instructions. My friends at MB corporate tell me to make sure to comply with the requisite specifications, and to get an oil change after the first 1k miles. Apparently, the oil AMG puts into its new vehicles are intended only for engine break in and needs to be drained and replaced after the break in period.

Have fun with your new ride and keep us posted, as I will do the same on my end.

Stay safe.
Thank you, Amy. Hope you're enjoying your "twin" as much as I am mine!
Old 05-20-2024 | 01:07 AM

Here you go..

Thank you, sir. Very much appreciate it. I found mine exactly where you and the others on this thread have advised. My wife is laughing at my excitement and questioning whether or not I should be driving it when I didn't even see the sticker right in front of me...
Old 05-20-2024 | 01:36 AM

It has been less than a week since I picked up my "Mad Max" G63. I'm still getting used to it while exploring its various features and characteristics. Sometimes it drives like a car, sometimes it drives like a truck. I couldn't be any happier, but I need to figure out where to place my sunglasses when I remove them.

I told my wife about what some of the folks on this board are saying about ADM in general for the G63. She thought about it for a while, then made some broad but very poignant comments. It basically runs along the lines of if anyone is purchasing a car at this price point, the ADM shouldn't be an issue so long as the variations are fairly consistent and within a reasonable range; and if the ADM is an issue holding back a potential buyer, then such buyer should probably consider buying a different car...

With all sincerity and due respect to those on this board who may disagree with her thinking, this is one of those (few) occasions where I actually agree with the Mrs. Heck, there are many cars I still can't afford, but I've worked hard for a long time and planned on a G63 each me and my wife.
Old 05-20-2024 | 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by AMGRonin
It has been less than a week since I picked up my "Mad Max" G63. I'm still getting used to it while exploring its various features and characteristics. Sometimes it drives like a car, sometimes it drives like a truck. I couldn't be any happier, but I need to figure out where to place my sunglasses when I remove them.

I told my wife about what some of the folks on this board are saying about ADM in general for the G63. She thought about it for a while, then made some broad but very poignant comments. It basically runs along the lines of if anyone is purchasing a car at this price point, the ADM shouldn't be an issue so long as the variations are fairly consistent and within a reasonable range; and if the ADM is an issue holding back a potential buyer, then such buyer should probably consider buying a different car...

With all sincerity and due respect to those on this board who may disagree with her thinking, this is one of those (few) occasions where I actually agree with the Mrs. Heck, there are many cars I still can't afford, but I've worked hard for a long time and planned on a G63 each me and my wife.
I'm glad I'm not the only to have noticed that the G63 doesn't seem to have a sunglasses compartment... I first became aware of it this weekend when I was driving my parents out for a family dinner early Friday evening. I'll look again later today. Maybe there's a compartment I haven't found yet.

As for your wife's comments, it takes a woman to tell the truth. I tend to agree with her opinion. Hope you are having fun with your "twin" - I know I am!!!
Old 05-20-2024 | 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
There isn't a sunglass compartment. For my glasses I just keep it in a case in the cupholder.

There are aftermarket sunglass holders that replace the grab handle, but I never was interested enough to research if or which ones fit the G.
Old 05-20-2024 | 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hodog16
There isn't a sunglass compartment. For my glasses I just keep it in a case in the cupholder.

There are aftermarket sunglass holders that replace the grab handle, but I never was interested enough to research if or which ones fit the G.
Thank you, Hodog16. Much appreciate it. I doublechecked and didn't find one on mine either. Guess I'll start looking for aftermarket sunglasses containers.
Old 05-21-2024 | 09:43 PM

N/A
I remember when a lot of European makes (at least MB, VW, BMW did) had OEM sunglasses holders that replaced the driver-side grab handle. I miss those:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...installed.html