GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Where are the windshields?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2020 | 02:18 PM

ES350 E300 GLE350 GMC3500 Duramax
Where are the windshields?

I busted the windshield in the GLE weeks ago and was told there are none in USA and I am number 74 on the list for one. Does anyone have any knowledge when some windshields will arrive for 2020 GLE’s?
Robert
Old 07-02-2020 | 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
At the moment - "generally" about 3 weeks
Old 07-07-2020 | 01:55 PM

GLE 450
Angry

Just had rock kill my windshield Wait still 3 weeks?
Old 07-07-2020 | 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by oscarleo
Just had rock kill my windshield Wait still 3 weeks?
mine was ordered June 15 and I was “proudly” told that the parts center gets parts to them in 2 days! Unfortunately I found out later from another MB source that I was number 74 in line and there are no new model windshields in the system. Make sure your order is listed as car not drivable
Robert
Old 07-09-2020 | 03:35 AM

Porsche Macan S
Just curious, what's the cost on a windshield?
Old 07-09-2020 | 06:39 AM

GLE 450
Good question - we have full glass coverage so Geico is paying....Safelite ordered from my local MB dealer. Supposed to be delivered in 5 days. Open question is will it be acoustic glass as is my original.
Old 07-09-2020 | 07:34 AM

I busted mine out in the Rockies and a large MB dealer out there was about $800 as I recall and installation was a bit less than that and they wouldn't deal with any insurance just your checkbook! So.. my local east coast glass company is installing it as they do the dealers windshields in our area including the MB dealer among many others. Interesting the western dealer did claim to have glass techs and equipment on site.
I would suspect that the accoustic glass is double that. But.... is it in the country? You might get lucky and it be in the system as GLE windshields are not. I am number 74 on the list.
Yes a Safelitte franchise under the OEM glass program will order the glass as car is equipped so I feel certain they will get it eventually. The dealer usually has to reset the windshield sensors so that is why you will be having to drop the car at the windshield dealer. All of that is handled by the glass company and you usually wouldn't know the behind the scene items. Good luck as I am over 3 weeks waiting now for the boat to come with MB windshields.
Robert
The following users liked this post:
oscarleo (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020 | 11:28 AM

2023 GLE53
$1500 parts and labor is what I was charged here in Texas at the MB dealership... Sucks because two weeks after, I got hit by another rock... Albeit this is small so I'm just going to let it sit for a while...

Originally Posted by Beemo
Just curious, what's the cost on a windshield?
Old 07-09-2020 | 11:29 AM

2023 GLE53
I don't think it will be acoustic... Also, check to see whether safelite does the calibration too... Mine wasn't able to do it, and decided to go directly with the dealership...

Good question - we have full glass coverage so Geico is paying....Safelite ordered from my local MB dealer. Supposed to be delivered in 5 days. Open question is will it be acoustic glass as is my original.
Old 07-09-2020 | 02:39 PM

Porsche Macan S
Wow, so sorry for everyone dealing with this, as this seems to be an out of pocket expense for a brand new vehicle.
Those who are insured for this kind of thing potentially go on to pay for the glass anyway in the insurance premium, and even more the longer you go on paying for it without claiming it every so often.
But more importantly I’m glad everyone is safe and sound with only glass damage, so that’s something to be thankful for (as long as we are safe and healthy, cars can be replaced)
I too just had a huge construction truck spit out a golf ball sized rock and super dinged my windshield on the hwy a few of days ago.
Currently calling and leaving messages with no one returning my call, so it might have to be an out of pocket expense.
I called my local dealer and they said they could have it delivered in a “couple of days” and those cost is “about $800 plus tax” and the labor to install would be around $250 or so.
Not sure why they don’t have fixed prices... I guess they want you to haggle with them lol

Old 07-09-2020 | 08:42 PM

GLE 350d 2020
Same

Same in Sweden
Have to wait until August.

are you saying that the windshield is acoustic as well,?
i have that package
Old 07-09-2020 | 10:03 PM

Very few MB dealers are equipped to change windshield glass and they won't deal with insurance company payments. Insurance companies have a "OEM glass program" that allow a recognized approved glass company to order the exact windshield from MB or whatever the car is but...... that has to be preapproved. Then your standard deduction if applicable comes into play. In my area of Maryland a local large glass company actually does the glass work for MB and many other dealerships.These installs are not done in your drive way due to the sensors at the top of the windshields and what actually happens behind the scene is that the car is driven over to the BMW or MB or whatever dealer for a sensor check and alignment as virtually none of the glass companies have the equipment. Then the happy customer gets his car back and it is dealt with by the insurance company and glass company and your car has the official OEM windshield..I doubt there is even an aftermarket glass for the new GLE's yet so getting OEM approval was quick for me. Now to get the damn windshield as being number 74 inline doesn't sound good. Mine has fractures all over and the hit bullseye is about 2 inches in diameter. Insurance doesnt cover my windshield attached Florida Pass transponder sticker and they won't come off without disabling them so I have to get a replacement but my EZ Pass is on the front tag bracket.
Robert

Last edited by robert c; 07-09-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2020 | 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by nacholaw
I don't think it will be acoustic... Also, check to see whether safelite does the calibration too... Mine wasn't able to do it, and decided to go directly with the dealership...
It HAS to be acoustic. It's thicker than the standard glass, which won't fit. The body is actually different.
Old 07-09-2020 | 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by whoover
It HAS to be acoustic. It's thicker than the standard glass, which won't fit. The body is actually different.
I didn't realize that the bodies were different on acoustic cars and there is where the high cost option comes in. But all those accepted glass dealers have the OEM glass insurance programs so why not do it instead of paying cash to the MB dealers and no insurance help? The glass company arranges with the dealer to check the sensors. the interesting secret is depending on how lucky they are getting the glass out and without jarring the sensor "box" at the top of the windshield most of the time the car doesn't need to be adjusted.
Robert
Old 07-16-2020 | 05:54 PM

The GLE windshield arrived Tuesday. The glass company installed it today. It was on the 4th week of backorder.
oh, the glass folks have experience with these and BMW windshields and did not need a sensor computer check. But lost my Sun Pass but those are easily replaced
robert
The following users liked this post:
Lanzz (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020 | 08:08 PM

GLE 450
My acoustic glass windshield was delivered to Safelite from MB. At least they say its acoustic. Also didn't know there is a difference in frame between acoustic and non acoustic. We will see next week at install.
Old 07-16-2020 | 08:39 PM

GLE 350d 2020
My acoustic glass windshield was delivered to Safelite from MB. At least they say its acoustic. Also didn't know there is a difference in frame between acoustic and non acoustic. We will see next week at install.
where can you see the info on the windshield that its acoustic?
Old 07-16-2020 | 08:51 PM

GLE 450
The acoustic windshield blocks infrared light as well so they have two rectangular "clear" spots - one to the passenger side of rear view mirror - one just above dash on passenger side- where you need to place EZ pass or Sunpass. If you shine flash light you can see these areas. There also may be a imprint somewhere that says acoustic. On side windows you can see a layer of coating between two slices of glass.
Old 11-18-2020 | 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK320
I just got a windshield chipped and it cracked into a X shape about 1.5cm long each axis. Went to two different glass shop they both think calibration will be done by dealer. But speedy Glass Vancouver was able to repaired it. I can still can see a bit of crack and a small pit.

But I rather live with that then disassemble the interior trim and ripping the seals out. Lesson learned I should have go straight to the dealership and claim insurance with them. That way I know they will order the right glass and know how to properly repair the glass.

I ended up spending three days trying to sort this out. Dealer might take longer to book you in or further drive but at least it’s one stop shop. At least here in Vancouver.

Last edited by tery; 11-18-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2020 | 12:43 PM

2020 GLE 450 + 2019 Audi eTron
The acoustic windshield blocks infrared light as well so they have two rectangular "clear" spots - one to the passenger side of rear view mirror - one just above dash on passenger side- where you need to place EZ pass or Sunpass. If you shine flash light you can see these areas. There also may be a imprint somewhere that says acoustic. On side windows you can see a layer of coating between two slices of glass.
thank you for the info. I’ve been having trouble with my eGate card and have been using it outside the window to get it to work. I did find the rear view mirror one, but I cannot find the other. Can you be more explicit to its location?
Old 11-19-2020 | 12:54 PM

GLE 450
The other "clear" spot on the acoustic windshield is a rectangular shaped area that looks like a grid pattern - its at the bottom of the windsheild roughly where glove box is located. The easiest way to spot is face the car towards the bright sun and look through the glass you will see the grid pattern. By the way, since I had the windshield replaced with original MB one supplied by dealer my EZ Pass no longer works - had to get one that mounts on front license plate.
Old 11-19-2020 | 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by jcapotos
thank you for the info. I’ve been having trouble with my eGate card and have been using it outside the window to get it to work. I did find the rear view mirror one, but I cannot find the other. Can you be more explicit to its location?
See the picture in the second post of this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...rage-gate.html